Ch6

never as it seems

sorry for the very short chapters, been quite busy but i swear there will be more and longer chapters to come!
 

---

 

Gahyeon wasn’t Yubin’s cousin. Not exactly. 

 

For as long as Minji knew Yubin, the older girl had made it a point to separate herself from The Society and all that came with it. The elders raised her and Gahyeon and a few others, but she ultimately opted out in being a key member, unlike Gahyeon. 

 

It cost a lot for Yubin. It cost her her powers. 

 

But Minji knew Yubin as a cool and level headed person, a great friend, someone she could count on. They didn’t see each other much, but she was one of few that Minji trusted. 

 

She figured, with Gahyeon in town, now was the best time to check up on Yubin. 

 

Minji jumped upwards and plopped onto the balcony outside Yubin’s room, tapping annoyingly on the window pane until she heard footsteps. “Oh, to what do I owe this pleasure?”

 

“Ran into you know who the other night.” 

 

Yubin immediately knew who this was about. 

 

“Yikes.” Yubin beckoned her to come inside, leading her out of the room and into the kitchen downstairs. “I saw her too. She crashed my coffee date with Yoohyeon.”

 

“She met Yoohyeon?!” 

 

Yubin completely ignored her, tapping her chin in deep thought. “And the weird thing is… I don’t even think that was the first time they’ve seen each other—” 

 

Minji spluttered, overloaded with so many questions she wanted to ask. “What do you mean?!”

 

“I mean that I don’t think that was the first time they’ve seen each other—“

 

Minji rolled her eyes, gripping the collar of Yubin’s shirt with her hand. “Yes, I heard you! But what do you mean by that?”

 

Yubin held her hands up in surrender and Minji let her go. “After Gahyeon left, Yoohyeon mentioned to me that some freaky girl with red eyes had tried to get on her car the other night.”

 

And then it hit Minji. 

 

~

 

Like clockwork, Yoohyeon was posted at the front desk with Handong, no one but them within a half mile radius it felt like. Tonight was especially dead, and sort of eerie if she were to be honest. 

 

Usually there would be a lot of traffic in the hotel around this time of year, the upcoming holiday season and all the vacationing people that brought out. But no, the hotel was barely booked up. 

 

“So we really just get paid to sit around all night?” 

 

Yoohyeon sighed. “Pretty much. Welcome to the best part of graveyard shifts!” It wasn’t meant to sound so sarcastic, but she couldn’t help herself. 

 

Handong shrugged. “I don’t mind it actually.” 

 

~

 

“Are you sure Gahyeon was referring to Yoohyeon?” Yubin asked after Minji told her side of the story of what happened the other night. Minji nodded. “This is what Siyeon and I feared.”

 

Panic started to bubble up in Minji’s gut. She rarely felt like this. The last time she probably felt real fear was when… “We should go to the hotel and keep an eye on her!” 

 

Yubin grasped Minji’s wrist before she can whoosh off. “Don’t worry, I already have that covered.”

 

“You just continue to be vague and never make any sense.” 

 

“Shut up.” Yubin rolled her eyes. “Handong is there to protect her.” 

 

Minji furrowed her eyebrows. “The new employee?” Yubin nodded, causing Minji to grow confused even further. “You better elaborate or else I’ll shake the answers out of you!” 

 

She was this close to dragging Yubin across the forest behind her place, but she was better than that! 

 

“Handong is one of us. I hired her to keep an eye on Yoohyeon now that Bora is gone, but— Look, I don’t know much either, but I promise to keep you updated.” A million different questions were firing around Minji’s head. 

 

What the hell was going on?!