Ch10

never as it seems

Yoohyeon woke up in her dark room with a startle. She hadn’t dreamt of anything particular, so it couldn’t be that. It was like she felt a physical pull dragging her awake. As if her body sensed imminent danger in her vicinity. 

 

“Don’t be alarmed.”

 

A shadow emerged from the corner of her room, their hands up in surrender. It still brought out a small gasp and scream from Yoohyeon. “Who the hell are you?!” The stranger cautiously moved around to get closer. “Don’t come any closer!”

 

“Do you really have no idea who I am?”

 

Yoohyeon was about to argue back when she took a proper look at the girl. She didn’t know anyone outside of her hotel job, but the stranger looked too familiar. Like Yoohyeon should know who this person is. 

 

open and closed, quite speechless over what was transpiring before her. She watched as the girl clapped twice and made a motion with her hands. Yoohyeon felt a strong gust of wind knock into her, along with some long forgotten memories. 

 

They rushed across her like a blurry movie, the memories making absolutely no sense but so much sense all at the same time. 

 

“Now you know. I’ve come back to warn you of the prophecy.” 

 

Needless to say, Yoohyeon should’ve known to expect the unexpected. But this? This was preposterous. Absolutely ridiculous to even fathom!

 

“I know this must be a lot to process—“

Yoohyeon held up her hand to stop the other girl from speaking. She just needed another moment to take all of this in. 

 

“Eunseo. That is your name right?” The girl in question nodded, her feet still glued to the corner of her room. Yoohyeon furrowed her eyebrows, deep in thought. “You were my friend.”

 

“Our families have been waiting and preparing for this moment for years.” 

 

Yoohyeon rubbed her temples. This was information overload and she was sure it was all some sort of messed up dream. She entertained the idea. “So you’re telling me, my parent’s have been alive all this time?” 

 

Eunseo nodded, the outline of her head bobbing in the dark room. “Working with mine to figure out a way to end this.”

 

“To end… what, exactly?” 

 

“The reign of supernaturals once and for all.”

 

~

 

Yoohyeon watched the hotel lobby extra warily, fidgeting with the new crystal bracelet Eunseo had given her. 

 

“It can detect supernatural beings. The beads will vibrate if anyone is in your vicinity.”

 

It was her first solo shift in weeks and the surprise visit from her alleged old friend had her on edge. Yoohyeon wishes she could just forget the whole thing and go back to her plain and simple life. 

 

Her boring old life.

 

A man trudged into the building and occupied the space in front of Yoohyeon. She listened as he went on and on about nothing particular, trying to strike up a conversation that she had no interest in. But what else was she to do? The night was seriously boring, so she entertained him.

 

Until she spotted a familiar figure rushing through the lobby and up the staircase. 

 

“Is a bracelet supposed to be doing that?” Yoohyeon paused, glancing down at her wrist at the man’s abrupt statement. “Technology these days is so advanced, am I right?” She ignored his attempt at getting a chuckle from her, blood running cold at the sudden realization. 

 

“It can detect supernatural beings. The beads will vibrate if anyone is in your vicinity.”

 

Why was it going off when Kim Minji passed by?