Ch11

never as it seems

A/N: been gone a minute, but here's a little surprise!
 

~~~

 

 

Yoohyeon scuffed her shoes on the rough pavement outside a gas station mart. To her right, she caught site of a worn down newspaper sloppily taped onto the side of a pay phone booth. 

 

DISAPPEARANCE OF KIM MINJI SHOCKS THE NATION

 

She checks the date on it. A year ago. 

 

Yoohyeon inhales deeply, hands stuffed in her coat pockets. The bell above the entry door rings and she feels a presence next to her. 

 

“Where to next?” Yoohyeon’s eyes trailed across the picture of Minji and then at the real deal in front of her. The exact same, only the hair color was different. She wonders how so much has changed over a year, but almost nothing all at once. 

 

“You tell me.” 

 

They made their way towards their choice of car for the day, a red convertible. Flashy, just like Minji liked it. For someone who was declared missing, she sure at hiding. 

 

Granted, it didn’t really matter much since they were halfway across the world. They arrived at the outskirts of England just last night with no specific reason, or that’s what Yoohyeon let Minji think. To the celebrity, this was a leisure trip.  

 

To her, though, it wasn’t. 

 

~

 

Quitting her job, uprooting her life, seemed like the best thing to do at the time. Eunseo had shown her a new reality. A new purpose. But one she refused to fulfill. 

 

Not when it involved— 

 

“Want a bite of my licorice? You’ve been eyeing me weirdly ever since we got back on the road.” 

 

Yoohyeon sighed, gripping the wheel of the car tightly. It was her turn to drive because Minji was “tired”. Of course it was a lie, vampires couldn’t get exhausted from such a simple task as driving. She narrowed her eyes at the other girl. 

 

“No, I haven’t.” She scoffed. “I see you still have that big head of yours.” 

 

The vampire shrugged with a grin adorning her face. Yoohyeon was still getting used to their new normal. 

 

Something shifted within Yoohyeon after that fateful night. A part of her closed off the side of her that felt deep emotions. The side of her that felt for Minji. 

 

Yoohyeon would run from her family and Eunseo, forever, if it meant Minji was safe. 

 

But in order to do that, Yoohyeon had to take a step back. Having attachments was a crutch. She had to have her mind free of weakness. 

 

No matter how much she tried to deny it, though, a part of her heart still thumped for the vampire. 

 

“Where are we headed to?” Minji questioned, shoving the rest of the licorice into . Yoohyeon had found out that licorice was Minji’s choice of candy. Something that tied her to her previous life as a human. “You pretend like you don’t know, but I know that you know.”

 

“Stop being confusing.” 

 

“I’m not?!” Yoohyeon kept quiet, turning onto a dimly lit driveway surrounded by trees. “Mind telling me where this road leads to?” 

 

Yoohyeon sent Minji a little smirk. “To your death.”