Ch2

never as it seems

Minji was on a time out. 

 

“You’re done. No more feeding on girls for an indefinite period of time. I’m being dead serious.”

 

She scoffed to herself. Siyeon was not the boss of her! Minji was a grown vampire, capable of taking care of her own self if a bad situation presented itself. Actually, that was a lie. 

 

Siyeon was different from her. Her friend possessed abilities that very few vampires had, that manyvampires dreamed of having. She was what The Society considered “special”.

 

Whenever Minji found herself in a situation, it was like the older vampire knew she was in trouble, appearing right by her side within the next second.She wouldn’t have made it this far if it weren’t for Siyeon.

 

Minji sighed, heaving herself off the edge of the bell tower, floating down onto the sidewalk below. The cool, night breeze didn’t affect her at all. 

 

This town. She had lost count on how many towns she’s lived in or visited, but this time, she was settling for a while due to her flourishing career. It was a huge risk, one where Siyeon heavily advised against, but Minji was never that great of a listener. 

 

She wanted to make the most of her everlasting lifetime. 

 

Walking around the deserted square at this time made her feel incredibly lonely. Maybe it was time she paid someone a little visit. 

 

Coming in through the back door of the hotel, Minji slinked around the lobby, checking to see if anyone was around. Nope. Deserted as always during this hour. She glanced at the front desk, tilting her head in confusion when she only saw one girl. Not exactly who she came to see. 

 

 

“I owe you like a million dinners, okay?! I promise, I promise—“

 

“Just shut up! I got it. You owe me a million and onedinners at this point.” Yoohyeon spoke into her phone, eyes darting around the quiet lobby. It was about to get real boring without Bora by her side, who could barely make it out of bed today apparently. 

 

She hung up the call and connected her airpods, inserting one into her left ear while leaving the other ear open just in case. Yoohyeon shuffled through her upbeat music playlist, settling on a particular song. 

 

Not long after, a breeze swept in and her eyes darted towards the entrance. Yoohyeon refrained from scoffing, instead she removed her airpod. She glanced behind Minji, expecting to see another one of her many endless girls, but she was strangely alone tonight. Yoohyeon could oddly relate. 

 

Minji had on her usual grin, sauntering towards her with an evil shimmer in her eyes. “What are you doing here?”

 

“What, I can’t come around just to say hello?” Yoohyeon scanned the lobby one more time, instantly suspicious of this. She didn’t know how exactly to respond.

 

“I’m working.”

 

“I can see that.”

 

This is really weird, Yoohyeon thought to herself. She had no clue why the celebrity would want to be here so late at night when she should be resting for the packed schedule she must have. Right?

 

Without another word, Minji heaved herself over the desk to join her, much to Yoohyeon’s utter bewilderment. She had so many questions, every single one getting caught in when she felt the other girl’s hand grip her shoulder. Her mind went completely blank. 

 

“Working all by yourself tonight? Isn’t there usually someone else with you?” Yoohyeon dumbly nodded in response. She definitely missed the way Minji’s eyebrows furrowed for a split second. “I see.” 

 

She planted herself onto the chair next to Yoohyeon, making herself at home and propping her legs up by the computers. “W-What are you doing?” It felt like the only thing Yoohyeon seemed to be saying this entire time. 

 

“Can’t I keep you company?”

 

Yoohyeon finally found her voice. “Don’t you have better things to do?”

 

It was the first time she’s ever seen Minji with that look on her face. A faraway, somber look that felt unnatural to witness. Yoohyeon shifted uncomfortably, worried she might have struck a sensitive nerve asking an honest question. 

 

The moment was fleeting, as if it never happened when Minji turned towards her, mischievous eyes sparkling. “Can we break into the bar?”