Sparks fly

Forever 3rd Wheel (F3W)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A Facebook video entitled "She said yes!!!" is playing on Jiyong's computer screen.

In a shaky video, obviously taken from a smartphone, we see a line of friends on the beach, waiting for their cue to reveal what is written on the surfboards that they are holding. We also see a very nervous-looking guy, waiting, holding a bouquet of roses.

Finally, a group of girls arrives, giggling and looking very excited, behind them, is a girl with a blindfold on.

The guy with the roses approaches the girl and gently removes the blindfold.

On cue, the people with the surfboards reveal the words "Will", "You", "Marry" and "Me?" And the guy with the roses kneels before the girl and gets something from his pocket, a black velvet box. Inaudibly, the girl says yes and starts to cry. Everyone rejoices.

 

"She said yes!!!"

 

Jiyong closes the video, rolls his eyes - irritated by what he just watched - and starts talking to himself.

                 JIYONG
Ugh. Another video proposal. Is there anything new? Everyone is just getting married

Jiyong scrolls down his Facebook feed, seeing random posts about pregnancy, love, and relationships.

 

Park Jiwon, his classmate from high school, posted a photo.

 

"Baby No. 2 is on the way. See you soon, Baby Haru!"

                 JIYONG
What?! She's just gave give birth, didn't she?

 

A picture of some newlywed couple. The groom is his acquaintance from work.

 

"honeymoon"

                 JIYONG
Ugh!

Wall posts of some random boyfriend-girlfriend from college.

 

"iloveyousomuch baby! tnx 4 2day!" "I love you more, baby." 

                 JIYONG
Really? Do you have to post that publicly? Just DM each other!!! No one needs to see that.

Jiyong hurriedly logs out of Facebook. He just can't stand seeing another love post anymore.

 

 

 

...

 

 

   

That night, Jiyong is sitting at a table full of couples - there is his sister, Dami with her husband, his cousins and their wives/husbands, his uncles and aunties - when his phone rings. A text from Seunghyun appears.

SEUNGHYUN
Ji, where are you?

Jiyong smiles seeing his text and replies almost immediately. Finally, something to take his mind off this unbearable family reunion.

JIYONG
Why? 😒

He added the emoji to make him seem uninterested, but who is he fooling anyway? He likes talking to Seunghyun - no matter how much he denies it - but he doesn't have to know that.

SEUNGHYUN
What do you mean why? We're already here. JIYONG
Where? SEUNGHYUN
At Chill Grill.

Oh right, the group decided to hang out at Seungri's bar tonight.

JIYONG
Oh yeah. That's tonight. SEUNGHYUN
Well, duh? So, hurry the hell up and come here. JIYONG
I can't come. SEUNGHYUN
Why not? 😞 JIYONG
I am stuck at this stupid family reunion. 😑

 

At the bar, Seunghyun is sulking at the corner, watching their four best friends make out, making him feel so out of place, especially now that Jiyong is not there to keep him company. He sighs and types on his phone again.

SEUNGHYUN
Fifth wheeling . I can't believe you left me here ALONE. 😭

 

Jiyong smiles upon seeing Seunghyun's text message. He secretly likes it when Seunghyun whines. It makes him forget the situation he's in. His eyes and hands are now glued to his phone, smiling to himself, busy bantering with his silly friend.

JIYONG
I'd rather be a 5th wheel than be ambushed by the personal questions from my relatives that I only see once a year. 🤦

 

The couples are still flirting. Seunghyun can be seen irritated by what he sees. Dara and Seungri are still kissing while Youngbae is feeding Hyorin. Seunghyun sends Jiyong a selfie of him clearly bored, sitting alone.

SEUNGHYUN
 
That's nothing, man. It's make out city in here. 😑 What am I supposed to do? Just watch them get it on? 😬

 

Jiyong is drinking iced tea when he receives Seunghyun's text. He blushes seeing his handsome face but chokes on laughter when he reads the text below. Suddenly, his Aunt Chaewon sits beside him.

                 AUNT CHAEWON
Are you okay, Jiyong?

                 JIYONG
Ah yes. Someone just texted me.

                 AUNT CHAEWON
Yes, I noticed earlier that you were smiling there alone. Who are you texting with? Is it your boyfriend?

Looks like she's been keeping an eye on him the whole night. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter