nine (2021)

Closeted
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taeyeon could hardly sleep the night before the big launch of the billboard advertising campaign.  Tomorrow, the sneaker advertisement, her original design, would be projected onto the sides of some of the tallest commercial buildings in Seoul.  She was all jittery and nervous, but she also couldn't wait.

 

Taeyeon’s second draft had basically earned the green light from Jessica.  After a few more minor adjustments, the final design was sent off for approval, and there was nothing more Taeyeon could do to fix it.

 

On launch morning, Taeyeon awoke to some rather pleasing news and notifications on her phone.  Physical sales for the sneaker brand had already increased by 13%, and online sales by 21%.  Taeyeon spent her breakfast replying to numerous congratulatory emails from her colleagues about the success of her billboard advertisement.

 

[From: [email protected]

Subject: CONGRATS BOO~]

 

[From: [email protected]

Subject: Beautiful Design, I Love It!]

 

[From: [email protected]

Subject: I Saw the News, Congrats Unnie!]

 

[From: [email protected]

Subject: Niceee]

 

On the train on the way to work, Taeyeon was stunned to see her design plastered, big and bold, across one of the trendy main malls in the shopping district.  It had replaced an advertisement for some brand-name jewellery, which had occupied the greyscale wall just a day ago.  People were looking at the sneaker ad, on the streets, from the train cabin through the windows.  It was drawing attention.

 

When Taeyeon arrived at the office and logged on to her computer, she was surprised again by an Instant Message from Jessica herself.  It read:

 

[Jessica: Taeyeon, have you checked the sales?  The numbers keep going up and up!  Congrats!  You did such great work!]

 

Taeyeon’s heart leapt at the words on her screen, and she immediately typed a reply to Jessica, but stopped herself before hitting send.  She waited a few minutes so that she wouldn't seem too eager.

 

[Taeyeon: Yup I've checked!  Thank you so much!  But it was really your guidance and encouragement that made this possible]

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter