Affection

Manyeo

The demand for meat in the town rose like crazy. The wild boars and deer had moved deeper into the jungle where men could not enter. Rabbits have decreased in number while the hunters have increased. Meanwhile, the man-eaters have started to target the villages for food. Due to this, the King of Beaudom Kingdom has deployed royal guards to secure the perimeter. With the royal guards around, Moonbyul and Whee-in could no longer visit their friends in the Witchery Forest.

 

The door creaked open and the muddy boots dirtied the floor as Moonbyul walked in. She placed her bow on the kitchen table and sat down with a long face. The ten arrows she had carried earlier were still in the pouch.

Whee-in served the food for Moonbyul to eat and sat down next to her. She pursed her lips as she watched Moonbyul eat. Her gaze made Moonbyul feel uncomfortable. In the course of time, Moonbyul spoke, “There is no luck.”

 

Whee-in inhaled and replied, “I have only a few coins left. The mistress is not paying us well too. It could last for at least five days. We have to find some other means to get money.”

 

“But what job can I do? There is hardly any relevant job I can take. Also, I have only known how to hunt since childhood.” Moonbyul was worried that she would be a burden to Whee-in. “If only I could see Yong-sun again, she might be able to help us.”

 

This sparked an idea for Whee-in. “How about you go to Witchery Forest?”

 

“But there are guards everywhere and if they see me, I would be brought forth to the court.”

 

Whee-in squinted her brows and answered, “Hear me first. You can go at the border early at dawn. The guards are not that active during that time. You can easily sneak out. If they see you, say you are hunting in the forest. And if they stop you, put on a little act. How could one survive with no meat? Say it’s for the people and for them too. And we need the money. They can’t stop a poor man trying to survive.”

 

It was not one of the best ideas but trying it out could bring no harm. So, Moonbyul agreed to do it. “What about you?”

 

“I will start another work in the florist shop near the palace. Don’t worry. Just bring back a lot of things worth of gold.” Whee-in grinned as she said so.

 

>>>

 

 

At dawn, Moonbyul put on her hunting robe and boots, packed the leftover rice rolls from the night before and tighten the strap of the arrow pouch on her shoulder. Whee-in handed her the bow and wished her luck. Moonbyul gave an assured smile and left for Witchery Forest.

 

Moonbyul reached the border of the town. The sun hasn’t risen yet but the guards were on duty. None were slacking off. “Damn you, Whee-in.”

 

Moonbyul poised herself and walked towards the guarded path. The royal guards stopped her. “No one is allowed to leave.”

 

“I- I want to- I am going to that forest to hunt.” Moonbyul stuttered as she spoke.

 

The guards mocked her for wanting to go to Witchery Forest. “Why would you go there unless you have a business?”, asked one of the guards. The others looked at him in confusion. “What do you mean?”

 

“Haven’t you read the daily drivel? Why would anyone go to that forest? Unless they are witches themselves.” The guard said with horror in his eyes.

 

“Shut up. You read too much of that nonsense. Witches? Ugh. One reason why it is called the demented writer. It must be the work of some teenagers.” The guards started to argue with each other.

 

However, the bickering ended with the superstitious guard convincing the others to not let Moonbyul cross the path. They sent her back with a warning that if she continued to try to enter the forest, they would arrest her.

 

Moonbyul agreed and turned around. “Fools. Do they think it’s the only way to leave the town?”

 

The path was the shortest way to reach the forest which Moonbyul usually use to reach her friends. If she took the long route, it would take her half the day to reach the forest. So, she decided to take a shortcut. The path has thorny bushes and the terrain was rough. A risky path for amateur travelers but not for Moonbyul. She hurried for the shortcut before the sun blaze upon the land.

 

Indeed, there was no luck for the young hunter.

 

Moonbyul ran into a guard who took a break and came there for relief. She tried to sneak away but damn the dried leaves and thorn bushes which alerted the guard, causing him to chase her when she refused to stop. The guard took his bow and arrow and aimed. He aimed to shoot at Moonbyul before he lost her in the woods. With a firm stretch of the bow and a deep breath, the guard released the arrow to let it strike its target. The swift arrow scratched Moonbyul’s face and burrowed deep into the tree in front of her. Her heart raced and the body stopped moving at the near-death experience.

 

She quickly stiffened herself and ran as fast she could for the forest, not daring to look back even once.

 

 

Moonbyul has been roaming in the forest for about an hour now, still there was not a single sight of any animal. The forest was exceptionally tactful that day. Quite odd, Moonbyul thought it would be wise to go to the sisters first.

 

Following the brood, Moonbyul made her way upstream. Not long after, she could hear birds chirping and a deer wailing at a distance. Moonbyul quickly sprinted towards the direction of the sound.

 

As she moved closer to the sound, she lowered her body and stepped forward cautiously, taking cover of the bushes. When she glided the bushes to peek at the scenario, Moonbyul was left jaw-dropped at the view.

 

Along the cracks of the ruined pillars, ivy-leaved toadflax formed large patches. Blue morning glory plants crept on the wall of the rocky door standing tall in the middle of the four cemented pillars. The flowers looked like they recently bloomed and the dew drops have not evaporated yet. The door and the pillars were carved with strange and exotic symbols. Colorful birds from rainbow to blue birds hovered around the area. It was a peaceful and calm sight where one can clear their minds and enjoy nature.

 

Moonbyul stood up in agape, charmed by the beauty of a land of some centimeter squares. But the bewitchment did not end there. From behind the door, a majestic white imperial stag with large fourteen tines appeared. To this, Moonbyul was astonished and her jaw fell on the ground. Never in her life had she seen such a glorious picture. It almost looked like the stag was glowing.

 

As a hunter’s habit, she slowly drew out one of her silver-head arrows. ‘What a fortune I could get for this!’  Aiming for the body, Moonbyul stretched her bow string and concentrate her whole mind on the stag.

 

A grip suddenly pulled Moonbyul’s hands releasing the arrow to the far right. The whistle sound of the arrow made the birds startled and scattered. The stag flinched and run back behind the door.

 

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING?”, the angry little white witch who was holding a fruit basket, yelled at Moonbyul.

 

“Yong-sun!” Moonbyul gasped. “What- what are you doing here?”

 

“HOW COULD YOU THINK OF KILLING THE GUARDIAN OF THE FOREST?”, Yong-sun snatched the bow from Moonbyul.

 

“Guardian?”

 

“THEY ARE NO ORDINARY ANIMALS.” Yong-sun stomped towards the ruined structure. “You scared it away.”

 

Moonbyul instantly admitted she was wrong but had she known it was the guardian of the forest, she would not have done such an unforgivable deed. She apologized and quietly followed Yong-sun.

 

Yong-sun kneeled before the door, placing the bow and the fruit basket down beside her. She bowed and ask for forgiveness. However, the stag did not come out. Moonbyul got curious and she tried to peek at what was behind the door. Yong-sun yanked her pant and glared at her. “Don’t you dare!”

 

Moonbyul obediently kneeled beside Yong-sun and beg for forgiveness. It was only then the stag slowly appeared before them, bowing at them as a gesture of forgiveness. This let the young girls be at ease.

 

Yong-sun offered the fruits and the stag sniffed before it took a bite. On her left, Moonbyul was gazing at the beautiful sight in front of her. Yong-sun didn’t want to break her mood but she asked anyway. “Why are you here?”

 

Moonbyul shook herself off and answered, “Isn’t it obvious? I am here to meet you.”

 

“With a bow and arrows?”, the sternness on Yong-sun’s face scared Moonbyul a little. “Haven’t I told you? No matter what, you must not hunt in this forest.”

“No. No, you are having it all wrong.”

 

“Wrong? I saw you pointing your arrow to the guardian of the forest.”

 

“It was not my intention to kill it. And fortunately, I didn’t. Why are you upset about this little thing?”

 

“You don’t know how grave it is because it’s not your forest. Is that it? If the guardian dies, then the forest dies with it. From the tiniest creature in the soil to the biggest of all, everything will wilt and life will cease to exist. The guardian is the source of life in this forest and every living being pays their gratitude by protecting it. As a part of this forest, I am also responsible for anything that happens to the guardian. Do you now get why I am upset about this?”

 

Moonbyul felt guilty for even opening in the first place. She only realized it was a serious matter on seeing the teary eyes of Yong-sun. “I am sorry. I promised I will never do such a foolish thing again.”

 

Yong-sun swallowed a lump of her own saliva and walk away from the spot. She couldn’t bear to see the guilty face of Moonbyul nor hear her apologize. If she let Moonbyul get on her, she will forgive her easily and Moonbyul might take this lightly.

 

Moonbyul followed Yong-sun all the way to the tiny cottage. Yong-sun refused to talk to her and kept ignoring her apologies.

 

Moonbyul pulled Yong-sun by her arm and turn her around. She grabbed on Yong-sun’s shoulders firmly as she spoke, “I should have control myself back then. I really needed something to get money. Life is getting hard in town. Whee-in and I might sleep on the street and beg for food. That’s why I came here. To ask you for help.”

 

Yong-sun quietly listened to Moonbyul as she continued, “But when I saw the guardian of the forest, I was lost in its beauty and it tempted me. I swear what I have done was wrong and I will never do it again. I am sorry for not trying to understand you. Please.”

 

The sincerity in the eyes and the guilty tone of the voice eased Yong-sun’s heart. When they first met at the border of the forest, she did not plan on falling for Moonbyul but now a sound of that deep voice can tame her easily. “I am sorry for getting angry at you too.”

 

Moonbyul pull Yong-sun closer and gave her a tight hug. As the hug gets tighter, the anger fades away and Yong-sun hugged back. The mutual feeling was pure.

 

“Oh my! My poor eyes.”

 

Yong-sun instantly pushed Moonbyul away and turned around. “What are you doing here?”

 

Hye-jin gave a little smirk. “Can’t I be in front of my house?”

 

Both Yong-sun and Moonbyul looked away to avoid Hye-jin.

 

“Did you come alone? Where’s Whee-in?”, Hye-jin looked around.

 

Moonbyul calmly replied, “It’s just me today.”

 

“Make sure you bring her next time so she will keep me occupied.” Hye-jin tried to hide her smile as she walked back in the cottage.

 

There was a brief silence and Yong-sun spoke, “Go to the east. You will find deer by the grassy land. I hope it will bring you enough.”

The kindness of the witches who have befallen to calumny will not be forgotten and Moonbyul told herself that one day, when the two sisters needed her help, she will gladly repay for their good deeds.

 

“Thank you. I will visit you soon again.” Moonbyul glanced at Yong-sun before she hurried off with a big smile on her face.

 

 

The poor orphans…If they only knew what they had gotten themselves into.