2. ooh la love (Myungsoo/Sunggyu)

The Anthology of Sunggyu's Many Lives Across Multiple Universes

 

ooh la love, i've fallen in love, and it's better this time than ever before

- from 'I Would Do Anything For You' by Foster The People

Life has always been too real. But Myungsoo lives it without complaint: he wakes up every morning and feels like crap until he eats soggy Cheerios; he walks twenty minutes to school from his city apartment and stays away from everyone who isn't his friend to avoid having to talk about his newfound gayness; he falls asleep in classes and gets scolded by the teacher; he stops by thrift shops and buys old plaid shirts and goes home for dinner and homework. As he goes through the mundane throes of his sophomore life, he has constantly wondered if there's something more to it. 

 

He's a self-proclaimed hipster, and he loves retro cameras and vintage boots and indie rock and faded plaid. And Instagram. Oh, how he loves Instagram. He loves the subtle, ethereal quality of the world through Instagram hipster-view. He loves it, but he doesn't have it. And he wants it. He wants to taste summer and sunshine in smiles (whatever that means) and have weird profound conversations consisting of, "I know," and, "It's okay," that speak thousands of messages in those simple words. He wants to touch smooth skin and compare them to fresh-picked grapes from the vineyards of France or something. He wants to take romantic Polaroids of sun-kissed people walking down the street in belted shorts and floral print tops.

 

"I did an experiment with Coke and Mentos yesterday," Dongwoo crows on the way back from school. "Hoya helped me. It was really cool."

 

"Okay." Myungsoo fiddles with his new Polaroid camera from Urban Outfitters. "You should've let me take a nice picture of it. Did you blow up anything by any chance?"

 

"I'm not that stupid," Dongwoo says, and then he starts laughing hysterically. 

 

And while Dongwoo's giggling, Myungsoo sees the most perfect thing ever.

 

A boy with a mop of soft caramel hair, standing out in the open sunlight. He's wearing this perfect shirt that looks like a black paint can threw up all over it - how incredibly artsy, Myungsoo thinks appreciatively, and he's on the phone, talking with an adorable smile that makes his eyes crease and shows off his perfect white teeth lined by pink gums. 

 

Before Myungsoo even knows it, he's already taken out his camera and snapped a picture. WIth the Polaroid in one hand and Dongwoo in the other, he dashes into a nearby shop before the boy can see him. He doesn't want to look creepy. But when the picture develops, he can't help but grin anyways. He feels kind of giddy and electrified and delighted; Myungsoo's captured the perfect boy in the perfect picture.

 

Maybe there is such thing as love at first sight, and even if there wasn't, what has just happened is so unexplainably good that Myungsoo's heart hums. 

 

"What's going on?" asks Dongwoo. "Where are we-- oh." He sees the Polaroid that Myungsoo is clutching like it's the greatest thing he has ever seen in his entire life. "Dude. He has no eyes."

 

Already, Myungsoo's thinking about a relationship--the first date will be at a sweet little cafe, and the second at a record shop. They'll play guitar together on the porch and get matching "infinite" tattoos because they're going to last forever. They'll have a long-distance relationship along the way, too, so they'll be sending each other cute gifts like artsy postcards and saltwater toffee. And when they fight, Myungsoo will say, "It's okay," and then the other will realize that they're really in love and kiss him with a smile that tastes like sunshine and lips that are smooth like grapes from France.

 

"He's cute," Myungsoo insists.

 

He has a feeling that the boy will revolutionize his life or something.

 



 

this was written while listening to Foster the People's album, Torches...and well, I love Foster the People. but their songs always put me in a weird kind of mood? like a really..hipster-ish mood, if that makes sense. it doesn't help that my school has a bunch of hipsters- and they submit all the time to the school's literary magazine. and while I know that hipster is not a writing style, they all seem to write in the same way! so while the magazine doesn't take my science fiction stuff or my poems, they take really vague things like "we sit together silently on the bench, and we don't say anything because there's nothing more to say" or "your smile is half-dark, half-beautiful, and it fascinates me." I mean, not that it's necessarily bad, but when that's all they take... :(

anyways, so this fic is kinda mocking that..except it sounds suspiciously like what I'm trying not to write. 

yeap. 

and I really, really like Myunggyu, so keep an eye out for more of that. :) Woogyu's coming up next!