1. Sweet On You (Hoya/Sunggyu)

The Anthology of Sunggyu's Many Lives Across Multiple Universes

 

Sweet On You, the store sign screams at me in shades of bubblegum pink and blue. All around me, I see shelves and shelves of candy crowded together in a kaleidoscope of rainbow colours. Stacks of chocolate bars to my left, self-serve gummy bears to my right--there's so much it makes me a little dizzy. And a little boy is staring at me, almost as if to say, "What are you doing here?"

 

Truthfully, I'm not really sure what I'm doing here either. I'm not really a candy kind of guy. I was just wandering around the city after dance practice, and it suddenly came upon me that after every rehearsal, everyone had someplace special to go. Everyone's a "regular" somewhere--the kind of people I see sometimes in shops, the kind of people who can just saunter in and ask for the usual, the kind of people the employees know on a first-name basis, no sirs or whatever. Although nobody really calls me sir. Nobody really calls me anything. I don't blame them, not when I'm dressed in a particularly inappropriate graphic t-shirt and old sweats and sneakers--mind you, that's how I dress for practice. Normal people don't really flock to that look. 

 

Like right now, how I am awkwardly standing in the middle of this children's candy store, painfully aware of the boy's wide eyes on me.

 

I self-consciously adjust one of my studs. Why did I decide to wear a spike today?

 

Okay, Hoya, calm down, I tell myself. I shouldn't feel jittery because a little kid is looking at me.

 

"Mommy, that person has a giant skull and some weird words on his shirt," he says. His mom shushes him and pushes him towards the door. 

 

"Don't stare," she says.

 

I debate whether to just leave right now. I probably should. But then the counter lady smiles at me, and the shop is so small and quaint, and I mean, candy isn't terrible so I might as well buy some since I'm already here. Who knows, maybe I'll become a regular. I'd like that. A place where I'm just treated as Lee Howon, your average person off the street--because last time at the gas station I'm pretty sure the cashier lady was watching to make sure I didn't shoplift (like I ever would)--who just likes wearing graphic t-shirts and studs and dying my hair. And who may or may not be gay. 

 

I shake open a bag to scoop in some candy, but then I realize I don't really know what anything tastes like. Berry Blue Jelly Beans? A whole shelf of M&M's--what are all of the different colours supposed to be? I can't remember how long it has been since I was last in a candy shop.

 

"Having trouble picking?" the counter lady asks, smiling.

 

I twist one of my rings. So even the lady noticed. "Yeah, kind of."

 

"Sunggyu, stop eating candy and help him out, will you?"

 

I look over, and up get this guy from underneath the counter, brushing his hands off on his striped apron. He's short and lean and has hair the colour of melted caramel and eyes the colour of black coffee, these small, adorable things that remind me of a tiny animal, and he has this endearingly chubby face--I mean, it's more than just cute, especially when you see it up close. He has that soft, smiley look, and suddenly, I can see him standing in a kitchen, flour smeared all over his cheeks and buttercream icing on the tip of his nose. He grins sheepishly at me. I realize his teeth are stained blue.

 

Gods, that is so…cute.

 

"What's your name?" he asks, stepping out from behind the counter and straightening his apron. His nametag says, Hi, I'm SUNGGYU

 

Sunggyu. I repeat it in my head and roll it over my tongue silently. Even his name is cute. 

 

"Hoya," I say.

 

"First time here?"

 

"Yeah."

 

He grins at me again. "Welcome! So what do you like? Chocolate, jelly beans, peanut butter, gummies, caramels…we've got almost everything here." His eyes and hands wander aimlessly over the shelves of candy, and I realize he looks so at home here. It makes my throat close up a little. It makes me a little bit wistful.

 

"Um..I like dark chocolate." 

 

"Just dark chocolate?" he asks. In response, I nod my head, not trusting myself to speak; my mouth feels as dry as sawdust. "Okay. Well, here's our chocolate section, and here's where all the dark chocolate is. We have dark chocolate covered almonds, dark chocolate with blueberry, dark chocolate malted milk balls, dark chocolate bark..we have just dark chocolate pieces too." With each name, his hands rest on each jar. "I think dark chocolate with blueberry is the best. Try it?" 

 

"Sure." Sunggyu presses a chocolate into my hand, and I pop it into my mouth. The dark chocolate breaks smoothly to reveal a chewy fruit center, tangy and slightly sweet. "It's really good."

 

"It is, isn't it? Wanna buy some?" He's smiling again, his eyes disappearing into two coffee-coloured crescent moons. I swear, his smile somehow makes my brain malfunction because next thing I know, I'm buying half a pound of dark chocolate with blueberry centers and forking over a few crumpled up bills in my pocket. Which isn't a fantastic idea considering I'm running low on money to pay for dance lessons. But I honestly think it's worth it when he beams at me and says, "Have a good day, Hoya. Come back again!" Even the counter lady smiles at me and wishes me a wonderful afternoon.

 

And when they wave me out the door, I think that I might just take Sunggyu up on his offer.


 


 

seriously. Hogyu is one of my secret OTPs. awoeifjslkfjewosdfjls this just popped up in my head last night at 2 AM in the morning, and I just had to write it out. I haven't written much in first person, so if it sounds a little off, sorry about that.

thank you for reading! :) I hope you enjoyed it!