What about Oppa?

Paramour

Watching the car drive away into the dark night, I tucked the jacket and paper bag inside the larger bag which contained the doughnuts. Turning around, I made my way over to Kai. "Who was that?" the brunette questioned. "Nobody," I replied, handing him the now heavy bag.

 

"Don't lie. Who was it?" he pressed on.

 

"I really don't know!"

 

"How can you not know when you just got off his car?"

 

"If only you hadn't disturbed us, I would have known!" I said, kicking his shin. He winced as if hurt and chuckled.

 

 

"Sorry, sorry. I was worried since Jung-ah Noona informed me that you had fallen down the stairs," he pouted.

 

 

"She told you what?"

 

"That you tumbled down the stairs," he repeated.

 

"How could you believe such a blatant lie?" I exclaimed, laughing.

 

 

He looked away as he rubbed the back of his neck, embarrassed on finding the truth. "Are you blushing?" I said, poking his cheek. He scoffed, "Of course not!"

 

 

Soon as we reached my apartment, I kicked off the heels and threw the cardigan on the floor. "Noona, you shouldn't be stripping in the hallways," Kai said, picking up the cardigan and placing it on the coat rack near the door.

 

 

"You're one to talk," I retorted, "so what's the purpose of your visit?" I pressed on.

 

"What's in the bag?" he said, trying to swiftly change topics.

 

 

"Don't tell me you came all the way for such a lame excuse," I asked, absurd at the thought of such an obvious lie as I tried to reconfirm myself with him that it wasn't the cause.

 

 

I waited for a reply and fell in shock by his silence. "Oh my gosh! You can't be! Next time come up with a better excuse. I can't have you coming to my place all the time."

 

 

"I can't help it when you have me worried sick."

 

"Yes, eomma. I'll make sure to tell you next time."

 

"I'm not joking."

 

"Neither am I."

 

"This is exactly why I am worried."

 

"Chill! I know how to take care of myself just fine."

 

"It's been nearly five years since I've seen you," he said.

 

"Tell me something I don't know," I quipped.

 

 

He sighed. He knew it was useless trying to reason with me. A dying battle, one could say. As he set down the bag on the dining table, he called out, "Mind if I have a doughnut?"

 

 

"Knock yourself out."

 

 

A minute later, Kai sat besides me. I noticed he wasn't eating any of the glazed buns. "Aren't you having one?" I questioned.

 

 

"I lost appetite," he stated. I raised an eyebrow in question. He would normally eat anything I brought home.

 

 

"Are you okay?"

 

"No, I'm not."

 

 

"What?!" I exclaimed, straightening myself up immediately and touching his forehead with my hand. "Your temperature is fine."

 

 

"I'm not sick. I'm hurt."

 

"Do you want to go see a doctor?"

 

"Not physically but mentally."

 

"A psychiatrist would be a good option."

 

"Ha. Ha. Very funny. Why do you have that stranger's jacket?"

 

"Kai," I warned.

 

"Why won't you tell me?"

 

 

"Why I have it with me is none of your concern," I said, trying to calm myself down.

 

 

"It hurts when you say that," he said, grabbing my hand and placing it on his chest, "right here," gesturing to his heart.

 

 

"Are you jealous or something?" I snorted, grabbing the remote and the television. "I'm serious, Noona," he said.

 

 

"Of what?" I asked nonchalantly, flipping through the channels.

 

 

"Of you," he said, slightly tightening his grip on my hand, forcing me to look away from the screen and towards him. My entire mind was alarmed by his sudden confession, but he also appeared to be internally freaking out.

 

 

I was unexpectedly struck by uncertainty as our eyes locked onto each other, until the shrill sound of the doorbell brought me back to my senses. I shook my head and stood up almost immediately, seizing the opportunity. His grip on my hand was still firm. I yanked it and began to walk away.

 

 

"Noona, don't!" he pleaded, holding my hand once more. "It isn't funny, Kai. Let go. Someone is at the door," but he didn't budge and instead, I slapped his hand off.

 

 

Thanking the high heaven for the wonderful excuse to get out of there. I swung the door wide open to reveal my savior. It was next-door neighbor.

 

 

"What do you want?" I inquired, flatly.

 

 

"Woah! Were you not the one who told me to meet you tonight?" he said, a bit taken off by my attitude.

 

 

"Sorry, I forgot. Come in Dr Byun," I said, stepping aside. "Please call me Baekhyun. I prefer to refrain using that title during my off hours," he stated. "Duly noted. Would you like to come in now?"

 

 

"I didn't know your boyfriend was home," the blonde said as he saw Kai sitting in the living room. "He isn't and he was just about to leave. Yah! Kai!" I called out.

 

 

"Why?" he questioned, frowning as he made his way over to us.

 

 

"It's time for you to go home now."

 

"What? But I just got here!" he whined.

 

"I said it's time for you to go," I said menacingly.

 

 

He suspiciously glanced at us. "What's he doing here? I thought you didn't like him."

 

 

"Well, things change. He's here for business."

 

"What sort of business?" he said, cocking his eyebrow at me.

 

"Business that doesn't need to be announced in public."

 

 

"Explain," he demanded, standing his ground as crossed his arms. I pulled Kai aside, "Listen, I'll explain everything to you once I manage to settle it. Can you wait for me then?" I asked. At first he hesitated, unsure on what to decide before coming to a stern conclusion and nodded. "Great! I'll see you tomorrow," I said, relieved.

 

 

"Can't I stay instead?"

 

 

I sighed heavily, and he took it as an indication that I had given up. This kid wasn't going to rest any time soon. "Alright! Fine!" He snickered at my reponse.

 

 

"Are you sure the both of you aren't in a relationship?" the blonde inquired as he stood there awkwardly.

 

 

"We aren't," we said in unison. "Okay!" he exclaimed, defensively raising his hands.

 

 

"Rather than standing in the corridor, may we all have a chat inside? It's too cramped," They nodded in accord when I suggested it.

 

 

As they walked towards the living room with Kai leading the way, I stayed behind. I made sure to check the outside for any stranger danger before securing the door's lock. I didn't want my mother to find out I had two men over because if she did, she'd have my head even if I was a grown, independent woman.

 

 

"Do you want some tea or coffee before we start?" I offered.

 

 

"Coffee for me!" the brunette called out while the blonde slightly shook his head.

 

 

"But you don't like coffee."

 

 

"You really have to keep up with the times."

 

"What times?"

 

"Five years is a long time, Noona," Kai said while the doctor agreed.

 

"I didn't invite you two inside to diss me."

 

"Right, I'm too tired, and I just want this to be over with."

 

"Kai, if you don't want to go home right now, be quiet," I said as the twenty five year old sat rigidly in his seat, his ears perked up like a bear's.

 

 

"For starters, we should familiarize ourselves with each other's names. We can't use titles to address each other because that would reveal everything," said the blonde, intently.

 

 

"How would you like me to call you?"

 

"With whatever you're most at ease with."

 

"Is Ahjussi good?"

 

"Of course not! Mind you, I'm only twenty eight."

 

"Close to being an Ahjussi."

 

 

He frowned and cleared his throat, "Jokes aside. How about you try calling me Jagiya?"

 

 

My cheeks burned scarlet as I glanced at him for a little while. "I'm sorry, but I'm unable to."

 

 

"What about Yeobo?"

 

"Nope."

 

 

Kai, from his seat, suggested, "Well, how about Oppa? It's more easier to use."

 

 

"I'm not sure," I muttered, twiddling my fingers.

 

"Why not? It's a good idea," The blonde concurred.

 

"Oppa," I murmured under my breath as my gazed dropped to the floor.

 

"What was that?" they exclaimed in unison, baffled by my effort.

 

"What?"

 

"Noona, that's not how you say it."

 

"And you have to look at me when you say it. Otherwise it won't be believable."

 

I gathered my courage and tried uttering the word again, "O-op... I can't."

 

Baekhyun and Kai groaned, frustrated at my futile attempt.

 

"I'm sorry, but I can't help myself. I'm not used to addressing strangers as Oppa," I complained.

 

 

"How about testing it out on this guy over here until you're ready to use it with me?" Baekhyun suggested, gesturing to Kai. "Or are you too much of a coward to even use it on him?" He smirked.

 

 

"Of course not!"

 

"Go ahead and show me."

 

 

The both of them switched seats and now Kai was facing me with a smile on his face. "Why are you smiling?" I asked curiously, raising at eyebrow at him. "I can't smile now?" I shook my head in response.

 

 

Everytime I mustered up the courage to say it, Kai would distract me with his smile. I groaned, "What's wrong?" the younger asked. "You're too distracting," I told him. "I know. Even I can't help myself either," he boasted as he shrugged his shoulders. I glared at him. "Sorry. I'll stop it now." His face immediately diminishing the smile away.

 

 

Readjusting myself on my seat, I gazed into Kai's eyes. I never knew how brown they were until now. You could almost get lost in them and wouldn't mind staying lost. Clearing my head of such obscene thoughts, I concentrated again. While maintaining eye contact with Kai, I took a deep breath and exhaled. Here goes nothing, I thought to myself. "Oppa," I said, enunciating the two syllables clearly for them to hear. The word felt familiar yet very distant. A word that made me remember of my loss.

 

 

"Hooray!" the blonde said in a sarcastic manner as he clapped. Unamused by my achievement. "Now keep repeating it."

 

 

The brunette raised his hand. "Yes?"

 

 

"I don't feel motivated listening to it. Could you use my name and say it?" he requested.

 

 

I glared at him. "Heck no," I said firmly, but the blonde had other plans. "That's an even better idea!"

 

 

"What?" I asked, shocked.

 

 

"Don't you think so as well? I only thought it was me, who thought the word Oppa is convincing, but by adding our name and saying it in a cute way is even more better," Baekhyun said after observing.

 

 

"Ha?"

 

"Either that or I won't do it," Kai pouted.

 

"Yah!"

 

"Your friend's got a point. You are hopeless."

 

"Heol! I wonder who got me involved in the first place," I murmured.

 

"Consider it as helping a friend."

 

"I thought it was neighbour," I told Baekhyun.

 

"Same thing."

 

I shook my head in disbelief. "Alright. I'll do it. But no laughing."

 

Baekhyun and Kai nodded.

 

 

"K-kai Oppa," I blurted out. I burried my face in embarrassment as I awaited for their hyena laughter to attack me.

 

 

However, there was no laughter to be heard. I raised my head and noticed Kai smiling while Baekhyun had closed his eyes. They kept their end of the bargain.

 

 

After another few repetitions of the same word. My gaze was drawn to the doctor. He appeared to be exhausted. Regardless of the fact that it was not my fault. I felt a little sorry for him. Seeing as he hasn't changed his clothes since this morning. I guess he came straight to my house after work. I was eager to finish this and send him on his way.

 

 

He noticed me staring at him. "Are you okay?"

 

"Yeah."

 

"Noona, do you want to take a break?" Kai asked.

 

"I think I can try it on you right now," I said, startling both men.

 

 

"Are you sure?" inquired the blonde. I nodded.

 

"You don't have to push yourself," Kai said.

 

"I'm fine."

 

 

Kai's face showed a hint of displeasure, but he said nothing more and traded seats with the other.

 

 

"Ready when you are."

 

 

A wave of nervousness washed over me. The sound of my own heartbeat was deafening. I had to take my time inhaling and exhaling.

 

 

You might be wondering why she is exaggerating so much at this point. Is it really that difficult to just blurt out the word? Well, to a native speaker such as myself, it is. Especially when that person happens to be your next-door neighbor, who also happens to have lied to your own mother about being your boyfriend when he isn't. Then yes, it is. If you use the term 'oppa' lightly over a guy you don't know, you'll come across as open-minded. No, it means  an open invitation to a motel. Hence, it's simply unsettling so to speak.

 

 

The sound of my doorbell was heard, saving me yet again. Lady Luck must be smiling down on me tonight.

 

 

"Were you expecting anyone else?" Kai questioned. I shook my head. "I doubt she'd even remember," Baekhyun joked. I glared at him. The intercom in my apartment soon began to ring, alerting the three of us that danger was right outside my doorstep.

 

 

 

 

​​​​​~Author's Note~

 

The long awaited chapter is here. Thank you for your patience, my precious beans. 

And seriously, I have got to uninstall that doorbell. Completely ruining the atmosphere here 😂💔 

But on a brighter note, Baekhyun and Kai met?! Gah! Can this get any better? 

I'd be melting if I were her 😂

Sorry, I'll have to end my note here.

 

 

Just kidding! 

 

 

Chapter 7 will be out on Chen day as a gift for you. I mean, hey! It's been a month so yes, another chapter will be on it's way. Hint: Another member appearance. Who do you think will show up?