Encountered Confession

Paramour

As I helped the grade-schooler with his homework, I felt my body tense up. Not because of the air conditioning in the room, but by the cold, intense stares I was receiving from behind. With a slight backward glance, I could see him sipping his coffee and typing away on his laptop, not before stealing a quick glimpse at me.

 

One aspect of my job that I disliked was teaching in front of an audience. As a grade-school teacher, I had the confidence to teach children alone in a classroom, but being a private home tutor was different. It wasn't an actual educational space, but I did the best I could with what I had.

 

Mr and Mrs Park, my employers, were rarely at home given they were doctors. Teaching their son Eric, on the other hand, is a lot more fun.

 

Eric has a pure gold heart and is extremely quick-witted. Overall, he's a sweet and enjoyable child to be around with. It breaks my heart to know that he will have to grow up in an empty household apart from the staff.  However, I am in no position to complain when I, myself, am here for a couple of hours.

 

Regardless, I still despise the fact that his uncle is sitting behind us while I teach. Mrs Park informed me that her brother was going to stay with them until his apartment was renovated. His ex-girlfriend had apparently set fire to his apartment, and she had invited him to stay with them for a few days. It's not like if I gave a damn.

 

But it's been a month since he's been here, and shouldn't the renovation be finished by now?

 

"Aunty Sohee, how do you solve this?" Eric questioned, snapping me back to reality.

 

"Which one buddy?"

"This one," he pointed out.

"That's easy," I smiled and taught him the simplicity of solving the sum.

"There. Think you're able to solve the next ones alone?"

"I'll try," he said, jotting down the answers.

 

After minutes of agonizing over the pain I felt from the tiny bench, Eric was finally done writing. He managed to solve the entire page. I checked his book as he handed it to me. Surprisingly, he got it all right.

 

Eric's brilliant mind never failed to impress me.

 

As I pasted a sticker over his book, he stood up and went to show his uncle.

 

"Uncle! Uncle! I got it all correct!" he said, bouncing on his feet. His uncle looked up and patted his head, "That's great, buddy. You deserve a treat for getting it all right. What do you say?" the man questioned excitedly.

 

"I want pizza," Eric asked, innocently. "Then tell me who's your number one?"

 

"Uncle-" The boy's words were cut short when the front door opened. In came Mrs Park with a bag of groceries, "Mommy!" Eric said, immediately running up to her.

 

"Eric, my sweetheart!" she dropped the bag on the floor and hugged him. I gazed up in awe.

 

"What have you been up to?" she asked.

"I finished my homework and Uncle was asking me who my number one was."

"Your uncle loves asking that. Of course, it'd be your mommy right, Eric?"

"Not really."

"Then who is it, sweetie?" She asked, surprised by his response.

"Must be your dad, right buddy?" his uncle suggested as Mrs Park glared at him.

"Not him either."

"Is it really your uncle?" she inquired, concerned.

"No," the child replied before eyeing me, "It's Aunty Sohee."

 

I sat there shocked on my little bench. Mrs Park and his uncle pouted at the sudden response, "Why Aunty Sohee?" she asked.

 

"Because I want to marry her when I grow up," I had to hold in my laughter, even Mrs Park was mirroring me as well.

 

"But Aunty Sohee promised she would marry me," his uncle joked, catching me off guard.

 

"No, she won't," he replied sternly.

 

"Sorry buddy, but she's going to marry me," and with that Eric started balling his eyes out as he ran towards his mother.

 

She glared at her brother before comforting the child, "Your uncle is just teasing you, and Aunt Sohee isn't going to marry your uncle."

 

"I'm still too young to be married now, Eric," I pouted. Mrs Park checked her wristwatch and smiled, "You're free to go."

 

I looked at the time above her and noticed she was letting me out an hour early today. Before grabbing my belongings, I stood up and stretched a little.

 

While I was about to leave the room, Mrs Park spoke up, "Ya! Drive Eric's teacher home."

"I'm busy," her brother replied, tapping at his laptop.

"I don't care. Just drop her home."

"Um, Mrs Park, it's okay. It's not yet dark outside," I interjected.

 

A buzzing in the room interrupted us. He was receiving a call and picked it up, excusing himself from the room.

 

"Think of it as a way to save money, and besides, he's single," she suggested. "I'm fine, Mrs Park. I'm not looking for anyone right now," I laughed, nervously. "Stop being silly, and how long will you continue to call me Mrs Park? I've told you countless times to call me Myunji unnie."

 

"You know I can't do that for professional reasons," I explained. Her brother just then entered the room again, grabbing his keys, "I'll be heading out for a bit. I hope you're ready to go, Ms Sohee."

 

"Huh? No, it's okay," I smiled.

 

"Yes, she is," Mrs Park said as she pushed me and him out the door. "See you next weekend, Sohee! Make sure she gets home safely," she warned him, and we were soon kicked out.

 

"Shall we?" He asked, breaking the silence, while I nodded in agreement.

 

As we made our way towards the elevators, he pressed the button and soon received another incoming call. He took his phone out slightly from his pocket and checked the caller ID before shoving it back in.

 

"Don't mind me, you can pick it up," I offered, thinking that he might not have answered it because of me.

 

"No one of importance," he said as the elevator doors opened. Throughout the long ride down, it was silent except for the ringing. Twiddling the strap of my backpack, I felt super awkward standing beside him.

 

When we finally got to the lobby, he requested for me to stay in till he brought the car out front. I refused politely and followed him to the parking lot. When we reached a certain car, he pressed the button on the remote and the car began flickering its headlights.

 

Just as I was about to reach for the passenger door handle, he spoke, "Are you sure you want to sit there? You could accompany me here."

 

I looked at him nervously from the window, "I don't want to sit front all by myself," he joked. Not wanting to make him feel bad, I sat up front, placing my backpack on my lap. After all, he was about to drive me home.

 

He smiled, pulling the seat belt on him. "Want me to help you out?" he asked, seeing as I haven't pulled mine in yet. "I got it," I replied, pulling it as I immediately locked it into place.

 

"Sorry about that," he apologized. "She's always been pushy."

 

"It's okay. I'm kind of used to it since my mom is the same."

"Is she now?"

"She is. You can get angry by it from time to time, but I'm sure they mean well."

"Who knows? So where to?"

 

I contemplated before speaking, "Not far from here. You can drop me off at the next intersection."

 

I remember Mrs Park telling me his company location, although, she never mentioned the name or occupation. Curiosity would always come knocking, however, I would hold my tongue since it wasn't my business.

 

"Noona would nag at me all week if I didn't complete the task handed to me till the end," he said, sounding all concern.

 

"We don't have to tell. Besides, don't you think the weather is good for a stroll?"

 

"Sure, but as your chauffeur for the evening I better see to it," he pressed, not taking his eyes off the road.

 

Why can't this guy take a hint?

 

"It's fine. I'll get off here," I insisted. He sighed, "Guess I can't change your mind either way."

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"I was kind of happy of my sister's sudden decision, making me drop the girl I like home," he confessed, looking straight ahead.

 

I blinked my eyes a couple of times, unable to comprehend what was said.

 

"Excuse me?" I asked politely, making sure I heard him the first time.

 

He pulled the car to the side of the road, "I didn't want to do this here, but I'll go ahead since it's out in the open now," he said, positioning himself to face me.

 

"The word 'like' is an understatement. I love you, Ms Sohee. Please go out with me with the intention of getting married in mind."

 

I sat there, stunned. I didn't know what to say in response to this unexpected request. Not only that, but I had an inkling whenever he gave me a quick glance when I came to teach young Eric, but I had no idea he would go to this extent.

 

"You don't have to answer me now. I'd like you to give it some thought before giving a reply," he stated.

 

"I'm sorry, I would love to keep my work and private life separate."

 

"Why don't we get to know each other?"

 

"That wouldn't be a good idea."

 

"Let me have the privilege to," he stopped as if he was lost for words, "what was that term that young people use nowadays? Woo? Yes, Let me woo you before you come to a direct conclusion. Maybe then you might change your opinion of me. Seeing as we are compatible, I doubt you'd decline my offer," he declared as if I had already accepted.

 

"I don't think you need to do that," I said, removing the seatbelt as I got ready to leave.

 

"How about we clarify things by going on dates?" he asked firmly, grabbing my wrist.

 

"Why are you eager to date me? I have nothing in my possession that would interest you, so the question is why?"

 

"It's because I have always dreamt of a future with the perfect wife and you, Ms Sohee, fit the criteria perfectly," he exclaimed.

 

"I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but I don't want to string along to these fable tales of yours," I said, removing his hand from my wrist.

 

"Are you sure?"

 

"A hundred percent," I firmly stated.

 

"Then let's have three dates? If the results are still negative, we can quit and pretend nothing ever happened," he suggested, looking me in the eyes.

 

I hesitated, only to give in, "Fine. Just three dates. I'll be in your care." If it's going to making him stop, then I'll go along with it. I mean, what's the worst that could happen?

 

"Good. Please look forward to it."

 

I nodded, "Then goodbye," I got off the car and walked down the street towards the many shops.

 

Placing the key to the doorknob of my apartment, the door swung widely open, revealing a pouting brunette.

 

"Noona, your late!" he whined.

 

"Of course I am. If it wasn't for that one dude at store. Ugh! I swear I wanted to strangle him," I complained, setting the bags on the counter.

 

"You'd be arrested for murder."

 

"Why do you think I didn't do it yet?" I asked, sarcastically. "And carrying these bags around weren't easy either."

 

"You could have texted me."

 

"Why the hassle? Not like you're my boyfriend," I said, emptying the bags.

 

"If you would let me," he mumbled under his breath whilst I arranged the items in their respective areas of the fridge.

 

"Did you say something?" I stood up, asking after I was done. He shook his head, "Nope. Did you bring me something for compensation?"

 

"Have some respect," I said, digging the bag for his favorite yogurt.

 

"You sound like my grandma," he snickered, grabbing the dessert from my hand. He peeled the lid off and took a bite.

 

"You !" I smacked him on the shoulder, "my age has nothing to do with this."

 

"Whatever rocks your boat," he shrugged. "By the way, Noona, how many times must I tell you to not leave your key in an obvious place?" It was my turn to mimic him.

 

"The only burglar intruding is you."

 

"I'm a welcomed guest. Your mother told me so," he said, sticking his tongue out.

 

"Welcome yourself to the exit."

 

"Rude," he feigned hurt.

 

The familiar tune of my phone could be heard going off in my bag in the living room. I walked over to the bag, opening the zipper and checking my phone.

 

A text message from an unknown number, it said,

 

Friday at 7pm.

Wait at Kkamong's café.

I'll pick you up.

 

 

I stared at the message, perplexed, before responding, "Do I know you?"

 

My phone started ringing the next minute. A phone call from an unknown number. My index finger was hovering over the answer button.

 

"Hello?"

No answer.

"Hello?" I asked again.

Still no answer.

 

I listened intently and heard some shuffling noises in the background, which enraged me.

 

"If you find this amusing, you ert, you need help!" I chastised. As I was about to end the call, someone said, "Wait!"

 

I placed the phone back to my ear, "Hello?" said a familiar voice loudly.

 

"Who is this?"

"Sorry, it's me."

"Who?"

The line fell silent for a brief moment.

"Eric's uncle," he spoke out.

"Ah! Mister dreamer."

"Let's be proper," he strictly stated.

"Sorry, but I don't even know your name," I said, going to the balcony.

 

He laughed, making my heart skip a beat, which made me frown. "I guess it's fair that I know yours while you don't know mine," he interrupted.

 

"Why not tell me?" I asked.

 

"If you're that curious, why don't you find it out for yourself on Friday?" he mischievously replied. I could picture him having a poker face as he said it.

 

"Do I have to?"

"Ms Sohee, give it a try. I might be better than what you expect."

I scoffed, "Whatever."

"Then Ms Sohee, I'll have to go now."

 

"Sure," as I was about to disconnect the call, I felt the urge to ask him. "One quick question before you go," I interjected.

 

"Must be how I got your number," he wondered nonchalantly.

 

"How did you know?"

"Just a hunch. Myungji Noona gave it."

"Should have known."

 

In the background, a female voice could be heard calling for him. "You can go now," I said, not wanting to take up any more of his time. "I have to. I'll see you on our date, Ms Sohee," he confirmed.

 

"Sure," with that I ended the call.

 

"Who was that?" the brunette asked, as soon as I got back in. "Some delulu asking me to marry him," I said, slouching on the couch beside him. He took his eyes off the screen for a brief moment to face me before averting them again.

 

"Not worth your time. He might be a player for all you know," he said, popping a popcorn into his mouth.

 

"Had me thinking about it as well, but I doubt he would, when he sounded all serious," I said, grabbing a handful of the buttered popcorn.

 

"That's odd. Who is he?" the brunette wondered out loud as he chewed on more popcorn.

 

"Park Myunji unnie's younger brother."