Socks Off

Paramour

With my mind drifting, I considered all the different approaches I could take to explain to Jung-ah. "Shall we?" he asked, smiling, as he abruptly interrupted me.

 

 

If I hadn't given him the vacant seat, this would not have happened. It was his fault that Jung-ah eonnie appeared to be on the verge of killing me.

 

 

"Since you said this was a date earlier, it's strike one."

 

"I'm guessing you're not going to change your mind," he said.

 

"No."

 

 

"If this is the only way I can persuade you to come. Then this will be our first date. I did, however, wanted it to be special."

 

 

"Well, you can't change it now. So, lead the way," I stated.

 

 

I wasn't worried if he was upset. My only concern was resolving the misunderstandings with Jung-ah. Kai wouldn't be too hard to handle, but his sister on the other hand, was a pain to deal with.

 

 

Soon, both of us were wandering around high-end stores, trying to figure out what his mother might enjoy. Let's face it, he was completely and utterly useless when it came to gifts, and when that person happened to be his mother, well, I'm sorry.

 

 

We eventually took a seat at a nearby bench after wasting two hours of my life. It was really cold for a late afternoon. I tried to keep warm by firmly wrapping my cardigan over my body, but it didn't work. I was bone-chillingly cold. When he draped his coat around me, a wave of warmth and cologne washed over me.

 

 

"Aren't you going to freeze to death?"

 

 

"I'm fine as long as it keeps you warm. Although, My feet are getting cold," he said with a straight face. "Do you want to go some place where it's nice and warm?" I questioned, concerned. "It's because you've knocked my socks off," he blurted out.

 

 

I cringed before we both burst out laughing.

 

"Yup, don't ever do that again,"

 

"I thought it was good."

 

"Yup, never again."

 

"I'll try my best."

 

"Please and thank you for this," I said as I snuggled into his jacket.

 

"Don't be."

 

 

We sat in silence for moment before he sighed, "I guess nothing would please her," he said, leaning back on the bench.

 

 

I remembered all of the gifts I received during my college training period. I jumped out of my seat, startling him in the process.

 

 

"What's the matter?"

 

 

"I just thought of a good gift that might please your mom," I said, grabbing his hand as he stood up. "Come!" I ushered, dragging him behind me.

 

 

"This is it!" I announced as we stood in front of a flower shop. "Isn't this just a flower shop?" he wondered aloud, puzzled by the decision. "This isn't just any flower shop. But a well-known one known for its exotic plants," I said, letting go of his hand. He frowned slightly but still followed me in.

 

 

Behind the cashier was a young lady, "Hello there! Welcome. How may I help you today?"

 

 

"Hi, I'm looking for a small plastic looking plant. You know, the one that resembles a cactus," I explained. While I was describing the plant to her, I noticed her staring at Eric's Uncle.

 

 

"Excuse me?" I said, tapping the table. She appeared to have awoken from her daydream when she said, "I believe you are looking for a succulent. Follow me," walking around and motioning for us to follow her.

 

 

We walked past many exotic flowers before arriving at a specific section. "You may take your pick, ma'am," she said, smiling as she gestured for me to look around.

 

 

As I admired each pot of green, I noticed her openly hitting on him, but he brushed her off. He soon approached me and took my hand in his.

 

 

"Um, what are you doing?" I asked, startled by his action.

 

 

"We're holding hands. Is that also a no?" He questioned, his face sad as a puppy's.

 

 

I couldn't resist such an expression and gave in, "I guess it's fine."

 

 

Kai is to blame for this. Every time I try to say no, he guilt-trips me with his puppy face.

 

 

Ignoring the skinship between us, I scanned the table until I found a pot I'd been searching for since we arrived.

 

 

"What do you think?" I asked, holding up the plant for him to see.

 

 

He took a brief moment to observe it before agreeing. "Look! It's even available in two different colors," I exclaimed gushing at the two pots. He chuckled.

 

 

"Do you like it?"

 

"How could I not? It's adorable, but taking care of one of these is hard."

 

 

"Excuse me! Is it possible for me to have these two?" he called to the lady.

 

 

"I believe one would suffice."

 

"The other one is for you," he explained.

 

"You don't have to. I won't be able to take care of it," I reasoned.

 

"How would you know if you don't buy it?"

 

"I just know and besides, you've already bought me a latte."

 

 

"Do you know why it's called a date? It's so that the man can court the woman he likes, so please accept this generous offering," he said, lightly squeezing my hand. I turned away, trying to hide my flushed face. I wished I could get out of this awkward situation, but the only thing keeping me from doing so was his hand holding mine.

 

 

He wouldn't let go of my hand until we arrived at the counter. After the lady rang our belongings, he finally let go of my hand and pulled out his wallet. I stepped back and waited. I could see her brushing her fingertips against his as she handed it back to him after swiping it. She even gave him her business card, thinking I was unaware. But he only grabbed the ceramics, and we were soon on our way out.

 

 

"Fingers crossed. I hope she likes it," I said, crossing them.

 

"She'll love it," he reassured me.

 

"How would you know?"

 

"Because she's an interior designer," he proudly stated.

 

"Makes sense," I nodded at the new piece of information. "Oh! This is for you," he said, handing me a bag.

 

 

"You didn't have to, and it makes me feel bad for only receiving and not giving you anything in return."

 

 

"Please, if anything, I'm glad you're taking them," he said cheerfully as I accepted it.

 

 

"Next time let me pay," I sternly told him.

 

"You don't have to."

 

"No, I insist."

 

 

I took my buzzing phone from my purse. It was Kai. "Don't mind me, you can pick it up," he said with a smile. I shook my head and declined the call. He could wait, after all, he made me wait.

 

 

"Are you sure?" he asked, checking his watch. "That Noona might skin me alive if I don't bring you home on time."

 

 

"I doubt she would."

 

"No, I promised her to drop you home by 6."

 

"It's really fine. I'll take the taxi," I said.

 

"I insist."

 

I was about to refuse his offer when my phone buzzed again but this time it was a text. A text from Kai. It said;

 

Noona! Where are you? I'm at your house.

 

 

I sighed. Why can't all these men leave me alone?

 

"Are you okay?" he asked as I only nodded.

 

 

"You must be hungry. Why don't we have dinner together?" he offered. I could tell he didn't want to send me home yet.

 

 

"I don't think I am hungry. Just tired is all. Nothing a good sleep can't fix."

 

"Are you sure? I know a nice place to eat nearby."

 

"I'm certain," I said.

 

 

I'm hungry, but I can't let him pay for everything; after all, Kai is waiting at my house.  I wouldn't want him kicking up a fuss when I already bailed out on him once.

 

 

"Why don't you wait here till I bring my car around? It's a long walk back to where my car is and you must be tired of wearing those heels," he said, eyeing my feet.

 

 

My legs have been killing me ever since we started but I couldn't tell him that.

 

 

"I can still walk."

 

"I doubt it. Why don't you wait inside a café until I get back? "He suggested. I scanned the area for a cafe. Instead of finding a café, I spotted a bookstore. "How about I wait for you inside over there?" I said, pointing to it. He nodded, and we both went our separate ways. He went to get his car, while I went into the bookstore to wait.

 

 

While looking around, I came across a standee of a male. He looked surreal to be an author, but he was. Next to the standee stood a shelf filled with books written by an author named Zhang Lay. It must be a pseudonym, I presumed. I picked one up and began flipping through the pages. It was an autobiography of the said writer. Of how he spent his life training to become a successful man.

 

 

"You've got a good eye," someone said suddenly. I tilted my head to the side and noticed a tall man. He appeared to be slightly taller than Kai. He was dressed casually in black jeans and a brown trench coat. I couldn't see his face because he was wearing a black cap and mask.

 

 

 

I nodded my head and smiled, "It is interesting."

 

 

"Of all his books, I love 'Standing at 24'. If I were you I'd buy that," he suggested.

 

 

"I'm not sure."

 

 

"It might come in handy one day," he said, trying to persuade me to buy it. "I've also heard that getting into one of his book signing events is difficult."

 

 

I cocked an eyebrow, "How so?"

 

"He's a well-known celebrity," he explained.

 

"I see."

 

 

"It's worth the money, and it's even easy to read," he said. The book was written in Mandarin rather than the native language, and he was correct. It was simple to read.

 

 

"Excellent learning material."

 

 

I grabbed it without hesitation and proceeded to the counter to pay for it. If I'm being honest, it was an impulsive splurge, and it wouldn't hurt to get to know this Lay fellow.

 

 

As the cashier handed me the receipt, he requested me to wait for a moment. He was rummaging through the counter drawer and pulled out a golden ticket. "Congratulations! You've just won a ticket to this author's book signing," said the counter boy, handing it to me.

 

 

I gazed at the ticket for a minute, expecting it to be a joke, but the boy appeared to be serious. With no choice, I nodded gratefully and took it with caution.

 

 

I searched around for the mysterious tall man, but he seemed to have left the store. I was standing near the entrance when I noticed a familiar car pull up. Eric's Uncle stepped out of his car and opened the door for me.

 

 

"I hope I'm not too late."

 

 

"You aren't. I took my sweet time finding for a good book to read," I said, waving the paper bag.

 

"I'm glad you found something you like."

 

"I don't really know the author at all," I admitted, smiling appreciatively at his thoughtful gesture as I got in. He gently shut the door and dashed towards his.

 

 

As soon as he got in, he questioned, "Who is the author?"

 

 

"I doubt you've heard of him," I remarked as I buckled my seatbelt.

 

"Try me."

 

"His name is Zhang Lay."

 

"I feel like I've heard that name before but I can't seem to remember where," he said as he buckled his into place.

 

"It's okay to say you've never heard of him."

 

 

"Yes, I have. Please allow me some time to recall it," he said as he handed me a cup of hot chocolate and a box of doughnuts. "You shouldn't have," I said as I accepted it gracefully. I wanted to refuse, but my hunger got the best of me, and even if I had, he would have somehow gotten me to take it.

 

 

"Don't worry about it. It was the least I could do, given that you were too tired to go to dinner. Next time, I'll make sure our date is more to your liking," He explained as he drove us away from the city lights and into the suburbs.

 

 

"I can drop you off at your house if you give me the address."

 

"It's fine if you drop me off at the intersection."

 

"I wouldn't want you walking around in those heels anymore," he expressed concern.

 

 

I let out a soft sigh and entered the address into the GPS. My heart skipped a beat as he gently smiled at me. As soon as his eyes returned to the road, I frowned.

 

 

What is wrong with me? Is it because I'm looking forward to devouring these sugar babies? I thought to myself as I raised the doughnut box slightly.

 

 

"Is there something wrong?" he inquired.

 

"Nope. Everything is alright," I lied as I set the box back down.

 

 

"Oh! I just realized why that author's name rang a bell," he added, shifting the conversation's focus.

 

 

"Why?"

 

 

"He's Myunji Noona's favorite writer, after all. She is so fascinated by him that she has attended all of his book signings. He has personally signed each novel she has. I overheard her say that he was planning one for later this month. I can get you a ticket to meet him if you like," he offered.

 

 

"I already have one."

 

 

"That's fantastic! Just wait until Noona hears about it. Knowing you'll be there will overwhelm her with joy," he chuckled.

 

 

"I'm looking forward to it."

 

 

By the time we arrived at my place, I told him I would wash his coat and return it to him. He initially refused, but with my persistence, I was able to persuade him to accept.

 

 

As I was about to get off, I felt like I was forgetting something.

 

 

"You forgot to ask my name," he pointed out, as if he had read my mind. I hesitated for a split second before nodding.

 

 

"My name is-" "Noona!" Kai called out.

 

I turned around to see him waving his hand at me. The dim lighting made it difficult to see his face. 

 

 

When I returned my attention back to Eric's uncle, I noticed he was frowning. "You were saying?" I asked, interrupting him. "What?" he blurted out, confused. 

 

 


"Your name is?" I eagerly asked, awaiting his response. He stared at me and shook his head, as if he couldn't remember his own name.

 

 

A startling phone ring jolted him back to reality, and he excused himself before picking up the phone. I was relieved Kai hadn't shown up yet. I was relieved Kai didn't come over to check up on me. 

 

 

I look back to see Kai was calmly leaning against the wall. "Please accept my apologies, Ms. Sohee. But it appears that I must return to work. It's quite urgent. My coworker seemed to have made a mistake with the order," he said. 

 

 

"Go ahead. Don't allow me to get in the way of your work."

 

 

"I'll see you again this Friday," he added, turning on the ignition. 

 

 

"Yeah, this Friday," I said as I gathered my belongings and got off. 

 

 

~Author's Note ~

 

Omg! I swear Kai means no harm. But who is this man?! Who do you think is Eric's Uncle? 

 

Whoot! Whoot! My bias Zhang Lay has made an appearance! 🤤😍 And who is this other mysterious man? Weird. 

 

Before I forget,

Happy Na Jaemin Day! 💚✨💚

I know this is unrelated to EXO but he's a cute hoobae of EXO. Stan NCT 🙈 

 

I'll try to update again when writer's block stops visitng me.