This or Frozen Chicken

Paramour

"That's odd. Who is he?" the brunette wondered out loud as he chewed on more popcorn.

 

"Park Myunji unnie's younger brother," I bluntly stated.

 

As soon as I told him, he started choking. He set the bowl on the table and reached out to me for water. I stood up, poured a glass of water for him, and handed it to him. "This is what happens when you steal from my fridge," I lectured him as I watched him drink the liquid.

 

"It is. He is the son of Myunji Unnie and that so-called famous dad you just mentioned," I emphasized.

 

"Well, I'll be damned. Take good care of your money bag."

 

"You idiot! Eric is a good child. He's a talented genius that even a guy like you can't compete!"

 

"That's why I have fine arts to make up for what I lack," he stuck his tongue out.

 

"What you lack is income."

 

"You don't have to nag me like my noona. I make enough."

 

"Then why are you hanging out at my place?" I asked.

 

"That's because you are here, Noona."

 

"Stop it already. I feel like I'm suffering from high tension thanks to you," I slapped him on the arm. "Tension from being in love with me," he laughed. "Yah! Are you looking to die?" I smacked him on the head with a throw pillow.

 

"How can you kill such a handsome guy? But seriously, you're not going on a date with him, are you?" he clarified.

 

"Why are so interested?"

 

"Because I wouldn't want people to find out how ugly you are," he joked.

 

"I'm going to kill you!" I clutched the pillow and smacked it until his fingers crept up to tickle me. He was well aware of my sensitivity to tickles. I fell on my back as soon as the pillow fell, and he took the chance to straddle me.

 

"Ha-ha... s-stop! Ha... I-I can't breathe!" as I attempted to gasp for air. "I'll stop if you tell me who the most handsome man is," he laughed. I nodded, "Do Kyungsoo!"

 

"Who? Wrong answer!"

 

"Kai! Kim Kai is the most handsome man alive!"

 

"I couldn't agree more," he said before coming to a halt. I started inhaling deeply, however, he didn't get off of me. "Um, do you mind?" I asked. He leaned in close, our faces just inches apart, "Say, are you really going to date him?" His voice had an unusual tone to it. With the bare minimum light of the television running in the background, I could faintly see his face. I've never seen such an expression before. "It's no longer funny. Get off of me," I fought beneath him.

 

"Noona," he called out, rather dearly, as he gradually closed the remaining gap. Goosebumps started crawling up my spine. I couldn't think of anything else to do, so I closed my eyes.

 

Is he going to kiss me?

 

"Ouch!" I yelped as my forehead was suddenly met with excruciating pain. He got off me after flicking his finger across my forehead. "What was that for?" I asked, trying to soothe myself.

 

"You were spacing out so much. This is exactly why I can't leave you by yourself. You're too vulnerable. An easy target for men."

 

"Do you see me as an easy target?" I questioned.

 

"Was one flick on the forehead not enough?"

 

"Just kidding. It still hurts," I pouted.

 

"Drama queen. Let me get you some ice," he offered.

 

Engrossed by the movie, something cold touched the back of my neck. On instinct, I lunge forward. Kai laughed, handing me a tub of ice cream, "You're out of ice."

 

"And it gives you a reason to do that?" I glared.

 

"It was either this or frozen chicken," he joked, raising a spoon with a wide grin. I snatched it away from his grasp.

 

Kai knew that buying something sweet was the only way to silence me.

 

Digging the silver into the tub, I took a bite. Instantly, overcome by the savouring sweetness of the cool chocolate. I hummed happily, the spoon still in my mouth.

 

"You like it?" he asked, I nodded. "The store lady said it's a new sort of flavour. Although it's only plain old chocolate. She even gave me a bag of chips for free. "

 

"Another Ahjumma bites the dust," I said, spooning out a chunk. Just when I was about to eat it, he grabbed my arm and ate it clean. "It is delicious," he exclaimed, surprised by the flavour.

 

"It would be even more delicious if you brought your own spoon," I said, pulling my arm away.

 

"I went all the way to buy it for you. The least you could do is feed me," he pouted.

 

"Oh shush!"

 

"Jung-ah noona called earlier."

 

"And? How is she?" I wondered.

 

Kai, Jung-ah, and I grew up together. When I was younger, whenever my parents were away on business, I would stay at their house. She would always nag Kai about being a slacker, but Jung-ah was a wonderful sister to me.

 

"As usual, the nagging continues. She requested that I help her at the café," he explained.

 

"How come you haven't left yet?"

 

"Told her I was with you."

 

"What a pathetic excuse. Go help your sister," I said, setting the tub of gooey ice down and pulling his arm.

 

"But I don't want to go," he whined.

 

"Oh! Cut your whining," I said, opening the door as I tugged him behind me.

 

"Stop tugging. You might end up-" Before he could finish his sentence, I tripped over my feet and felt someone grab me as I braced myself for the impact.

 

"Nice save, Kai!" I exclaimed as I noticed him standing beside me, facepalming. Looking at the face of my saviour, I realized it was the guy from the convenience store. I flushed at the sight of him.

 

"If it isn't my dear valued customer," he sneered, snapping me out of it. Straightening up and keeping my gaze suspiciously fixed on him, I inquired, "Have you been following me?"

 

"A thank you would have sufficed."

 

"I'm sorry about her, pal," the brunette apologized as he drew me beside him, "Next time, I'll make sure she pays more attention," he said, forcing me to bow my head.

 

"Make sure you also get her a pair of prescription glasses as well. She can't seem to tell people apart either," the blonde snickered. Kai gave me a look that screamed, "Explain!"

 

"It wasn't my fault you have dressed appropriately," I retorted.

 

"I have every right to wear whatever I want," he said, standing next door.

 

"No one lives there."

 

Realizing I spoke too soon, he fished out a pair of keys from his joggers. "It no longer is. It's a pleasure to meet you, as well, neighbour," he smirked as he unlocked the door and slammed it shut behind him.

 

"I forgot to tell you that the room was already rented," the brunette recalled.

 

"A little too late, don't you think?" I retorted sarcastically.

 

"How did you two meet?" he inquired as he pressed the elevator button.

 

"Remember when I said I wanted to strangle a guy?" I asked, and he nodded. "He's the one."

 

"What exactly did you do to enrage him?"

 

"Don't you want to know?"

 

"That's why I'm asking," he said as we stepped into the elevator.

 

"I mistook him for a worker," I explained as I looked down.

 

"I asked him where they displayed the tampons," I mumbled under me breathe.

 

"What?"

 

"I asked him for tampons! Geez, Kai! I can't tell you everything!" I snapped, my face flushed red with embarrassment.

 

"Don't be embarrassed. Jung-ah noona makes me buy them for her," he comforted.

 

"That doesn't make things any better!"

 

"What gives noona? I just asked cause I was worried about you," he defended.

 

"I understand, but he can't tell a woman to buy pads instead of tampons! Simply because it's more comfortable and reduces the possibility of my lady parts becoming infected," I complained.

 

"Okay, I get it. He accused you of using something more sanitary for your lady parts."

 

"He embarrassed me in public!"

 

"True. He had no right to accuse you of personal choice nor did he have to do it in public."

 

"That's exactly my point. It's not like he's a trained professional. Take a look at how he's dressed. No doctor would wear anything of the sort."

 

"You can't say that. Perhaps he is a trained professional attempting to maintain a low profile?" he suggested when we got off.

 

"As if."

 

I sighed as I watched my best friend leave. I returned to my apartment, exhausted. The ice cream I was enjoying had gone bad. The movie, in which I was completely immersed, had come to an end. At the very least, my forehead isn't bruised.

 

*What a terrible day!*

 

After finishing all of the housework, I took a shower and crawled into bed. Wishing to forget everything that occurred today and to welcome a new tomorrow.

 

The sound of the front door banging could be heard. I stubbed my toe against the wall as I drowsily walked my way over. I started hopping around to distract myself from the agonizing pain. The banging continued until I limped over and swung the door open.

 

"What the hell do you want?" I yelled.

 

"Language!" the woman scolded.

 

"Good morning to you too, eomma," I greeted, annoyed.

 

"Why did it take for you so long to answer the door? Please don't say you slept in," she said, dismayed as she barged in.

 

"What a surprise! I don't happen to be tired at all after seeing you."

 

"Did you know I was coming for you to hire a cleaner?" she wondered aloud.

 

"No, ma. Is it hard to believe that I cleaned my apartment?" I questioned, feeling ticked off.

 

"You never fold your sheets. What makes you think I'm going to believe you?"

 

"Believe it or not, I did."

 

"Were you expecting anyone by any chance? Is it a boy?" she asked, giving me a wary look.

 

"No, ma."

 

"Stop daydreaming and get changed."

 

"Why?" I questioned. She glared at me for asking something obvious when it wasn't. I didn't know why either and decided to get ready.

 

Once ready, she checked my outfit and frowned. "You can't possibly consider wearing such repulsive clothing. You'll humiliate me in front of everyone," she accused.

 

"What's wrong with it? It's my best jeans."

 

"Exactly! Now go change into a dress. The one I bought for you during eemo's birthday."

 

It was a rainbow candy-striped maxi dress that was more revealing than I preferred.

 

"Oh! That? I think I lost it," I lied.

 

"Let me find it for you," she offered, fully aware of my lie.

 

"It's all right. I'll find it." I went back to my room and rummaged through my closet until I found and wore it.

 

I returned to the living room to find my mother going through my belongings. "What are you doing?" I asked my hands on my waist. "How come you have a man's hat?" she questioned, raising a black bucket hat. It was Kai's bucket hat. I always made sure he didn't leave anything behind, but with all the commotion yesterday, I forgot to ask.

 

"Did you ever think it would be mine?" I shot back. "It also smells like one," she observed.

 

"Stop being creepy and pass it over."

 

"Whose is it?"

 

"It's mine," I repeated.

 

"Who is the man?" she interrogated.

 

"I told you. It's mine. Now drop it and let's go."

 

"Not until you tell me whose it is," she insisted, refusing to leave.

 

"Does it even make a difference?"

 

"So it's not yours?"

 

I sighed, irritated by her frivolous accusations. I was willing to let her hear the truth if it would make her stop. "No, it's Kai's."

 

"How many times have I told you? It's not good for a woman of your age to invite a man of his age," she lectured.

 

"Eomma! He's my childhood. You have known Kai and his family for years!"

 

"That was a long time ago, but what do you think people would say if they saw my unmarried daughter with a man?"

 

"Since when have you cared? Tell them to mind their own business; it's my life to live, not theirs to judge."

 

"How can I-" raising my hand, I cut her off in the middle of her sentence. "Are you here to nag at me or bring me to your important whatever?" I asked, deadpanning.

 

She handed me the hat and shook her head in dismay before walking over to the exit, "Are you coming or not?"

 

"You can go ahead. I'll follow you out in a minute," I said and just like that she shut the door behind her. I cursed at the hat's owner. This is why I always warned him to never leave anything behind.

 

 

 

 

~Author's Note~

I present you Chapter 2 as promised. Hope you enjoyed reading it! ✨

What do you think? How was the first character reveal? Reminds of that time when Kai posted on his bubble about his Fried Rice Waffle xD