closer

when the ice melted and the fire subsided

When Hyun arrived at the bus stop, he can see Lia waved at her. She’s waiting for him at the bus stop. They agreed to go to several markets to find the best costumes for the performance.

“Did you get home safely?” asked her when he stepped down from the bus. He just nodded, and they walked together to the market not far from the bus stop.

“You looked different today, it’s like you wanted to shout out of joy but you need to keep your cool image,” Lia investigated. Hyun was startled with her correct judgment, and he nodded.

“I made it to the second round of the band I auditioned,” said him shyly.

“Omo! Really? Ya, congratulations!” she put her arms on his shoulder and pat his shoulder. “My partner is soon going to be a rock star,” she continued proudly.

Hyun was startled with her sudden touch, but he laughed. “Thank you, but I have to do another audition,”

“It’s okay, I’m sure you’ll do great. Should we also find you an outfit for your audition? What song will you sing? What time? The outfit should match...” she suddenly so excited for him, and he was thankful.

“Ya, I can manage. I don’t even know when the audition will be held,”

When they arrived at the market, she became so busy. She visited every store, asked for the price and protested if it’s too expensive. She made him try several outfits, he only sighed and do as she asked. He also picked a few outfit that would match her. They agree with the 70s outfits to match their song, and picked jeans and jacket with a very good deal. Some of the employees praised them because they look good in the outfit and told them they look good together.

“Aigoo, this couple is so beautiful. I’ll give you extra discount!” said the owner, a kind grandma.

“Grandma, we’re not a couple, we’re just friends, but I won’t refuse the extra discount,” said Lia and the grandma laughed. “My friend here will be a successful band singer, so Grandma, please watch television regularly!”

Hyun laughed when she said that. “Ya, I told you I have another round of audition,” he told her but she didn’t care.

“You choose. Tteokbokki or kalguksu?” asked her suddenly. When he said tteokbokki, she looked so happy then marched to the tteokbokki place in that market that turned out to be her favorite place. “Hi, Imo! I want the regular, but don’t make it too spicy because my friend here can’t stand spicy food,” she greeted the owner as they sit down.

“How did you know I can’t stand spicy food?” asked Hyun. He didn’t remember telling her.

“When we eat noodles, you don’t put chili in yours, and it’s mandatory, you know!” answered her cheerfully.

He smiled. She even remember small details. She seems start being comfortable around him. “You know, you look better if you smile a bit. Don’t follow the cold guy trend in comics and dramas!” said Lia.

The past weeks he partnered up with Yoo Lia, he was taken aback so many times because of her bold behavior or the way she talked, but today he was totally speechless. She said he looked good if he smile often so casually. He couldn’t say anything.

Hearing no response, she chuckled. “Don’t take it the wrong way, I’m not interested in you. I just have to say whatever in my mind, that’s my style.”

“Yy-a, I of course won’t take it the wrong way,” he answered awkwardly.

This girl is surely one of kind. He knows very well the saying people attracted to who are similar to them, but he experienced the opposite. He’s confused about this feeling, but one thing for sure he liked hanging out with her, listening to her passionate dreams, her views in many aspects, and even her complains. Today his job is to listen and look at her telling him about how schools these day are more focused on academic when arts and other things are equally important.  

“Omo, I talked too much. Sorry,” said Lia when she realized she’s been talking and forced Hyun to listen to her. Hyun shook his head.

“I’m used to this,” answered him, and he can saw she looked surprised for a moment before she start laughing.

After lunch, she insisted going to another market to find outfits for his audition, and he couldn’t say no. He asked her if she was okay with it but she said it was fine because she had nothing to do after this. They took a bus to reach the other market, and when they arrived there, she was once again so busy visiting every store and forced him to try several outfits.

“This is it! Ahjussi, my friend looked good in this outfit, right? Can you give him a discount? I’ll make sure he posted it on his social media!” said Lia cheerfully, giving no room for Hyun to protest. He agreed with her choices, paid it and they exited the market.

“Thank you, you didn’t have to actually,” said Hyun when they reached the bus stop. She just smiled and went to get ready because her bus is approaching.

“Ya, Lia-ya, if you don’t mind, do you want to give opinions to my song arrangements for the audition?” Hyun caught her before she get on the bus. He cursed at himself for this spontaneous invitation, when she must be tired and wanted to go home.

But to his surprise, she nodded. “I’ll be strict, for your information,” and he laughed. They waited for another bus together and talked on their way to Ha Seok’s studio.

 

When they arrived, they were surprised because so many cars parked around the studio. They about to enter when Ha Seok headed out. “What’s this? What are you two doing here?”

Hyun explained he wanted to show Lia his song arrangement for his audition. Ha Seok tried his best to not smile, but then he said an idol group was scheduled to record here since morning. “I think it’s going to take all night. I’m going home for a bit to change clothes, ah, why don’t you use my computer at home?” asked him. Lia was not sure, but Ha Seok dragged them inside his car. Hyun must have visited his house often, but it’s a little bit awkward for Lia.

When they arrived at his apartment, his wife, Choi Jungin, scold him because he didn’t tell her Hyun and his friend going to visit thus she didn’t prepare anything. “This man, really. Aigoo Hyun-ah, I miss you, and who is this beauty?” asked Mrs. Choi after hugging Hyun tightly. Lia greeted her and introduced herself as Ha Seok’s employee and Hyun’s friend.

“This is Hyun’s partner for his final assignment, they’re doing a good job,” said Ha Seok as he entered the room. Mrs. Choi’s eyes widened.

“Really? That’s great!” she smiled. “Do what you have to do, but don’t forget to close the room because Ha Eun is already asleep. I’ll cook something for dinner,”

Hyun lead Lia to Ha Seok’s study. It’s small but complete with computer and other equipment needed. He quickly the computer and show Lia his work. Lia was surprised because it turned out good, and he looked like proud and content.

“This is good, really. I have no comment,” said Lia, showing both of her thumbs. Hyun smiled and felt so happy.

“Dinner is ready, let’s go!” Mrs. Choi opened the room. “Oh and in my house after dinner students like you must sleepover,” she winked and left the room.

“Sleepover?” asked Lia in disbelief.