broken promise and heart

when the ice melted and the fire subsided

What Hyun did not know, there will be no next time. He messed up.

He missed the exam. He thought he could make it if he run, but he was still late for 10 minutes and Professor Kwon won’t accept him. The audition was late because the band members were late, and he thought he still have enough time to run and make it to the class. He begged the committee to carry on the audition even when the band members were not complete, but they refused, saying having all the members present are necessary. He couldn’t present the best of himself because he was looking at his watch anxiously, and when they were done and told him the result would be announced tomorrow, he ran outside. He had 15 minutes to run, and he can felt his phone vibrating in his pocket, but he got no time to answer it. He was out of breath after climbing the stairs to reach the auditorium, and when he eyed his watch, he was late for 10 minutes.

He heard Lia practically begging Professor Kwon, but she said “You know the rules. All student must be here at their exam time. Yours is at 10, and he came at 10.10. I’m sorry but for whatever reason, I can’t give you another chance. You’ll have to attend my class again next semester,” and went back to the auditorium to see another team.

Lia froze, and looking coldly at him. She was trying her best not to cry, but after Professor Kwon left, she teared up. When Hyun was about to stand next to her and explain, she left without saying anything, without even looking at his face. Hyun ran after her.

“Yoo Lia! Please at least listen to what I’m about to say,” said him while walking behind her. She walked faster, almost running, and when they reached the park outside the auditorium, she stopped and turned around. She was crying, her eyes and nose were red, but her gaze was cold. He can’t believe the strong and brave Lia were crying, and it’s because of him. He was both sorry and frustrated.

“You promise,” she said while closing her eyes. Tears were rolling down from her eyes to her cheek. “You promise me you won’t be late. You said this is equally important.”

He was so heartbroken seeing her like this. “I know all my words won’t be enough to show how sorry I am to you, Lia. But if you give me a moment to explain..”

“Don’t you remember what I said? I won’t forgive and look at you if you’re late.” she wiped her tears with her hands, turned around and started to walk away. Hyun caught his wrist.

“Lia, please,” he begged, looking directly at her eyes. She finally looked at him directly in his eyes, and exploded.

“You know what this means? We have to take the class again next semester when my whole life I had plan to be graduated from college this year. I worked my off even on weekend to pay for my tuition, and guess what? That’s not enough because I have one class to take next semester. And that’s because of you.”

She took a deep breath and continued. “I thought having you as my partner was a blessing because you seemed as eager as I am and I had fun, but I am wrong--”

“I care about this, I really need to graduate!” Hyun cut her off. “Please, just listen. At least listen to me this once, and you can get angry, slap me, whatever you want. Please,” he put both of his hands on her shoulder. She didn’t back off, she just stayed still. More tears rolling from her eyes.

“I am sorry, Lia-ya. I didn’t mean to be late, you saw I ran my off to get here. Next semester, I can help you pay for your tuition...”

“I don’t need your money!” she shouted and break free from him. “I guess it’s easy for a guy like you to use money to get everything done. I won’t see you ever again.”

“The band members were late and I begged the committee to let me go early, but they refused, and I ran to get here,” he told her when she started to walk away. But she didn’t stop or turn away. She just walked, and even in anger and disappointment she still walked proudly like nothing happened. When Hyun was about to ran after her again, he felt someone touch his shoulder. It was Ryeok, followed by Maha and Hyunji.

“Why the hell are you late? This is our final assignment! She begged Professor Kwon to reduce your score because you were late, but she refused,” said Maha.

“I had a band audition this morning, and I already told Lia about it. But the audition went late because of the members, but believe me I begged them to get the audition done as fast as possible and ran all the way here,” he explained. Ryeok pat his shoulder.

“Don’t go after her, let her calmed down first. We’ll go and text you later,” said Hyunji. She and Maha excused themselves to check on Lia at her apartment.

“Cold beer at your place?” asked Ryeok. He sighed and just nodded.

 

---

 

When she arrived at her apartment, Lia threw herself at her bed. Today she didn’t feel like her usual self and let her cry all she wants. She can’t believe of all day, Lee Hyun was late to their exam day when he didn’t even come late whenever they had to meet to prepare the performance. She looked at her phone, non-stop ringing because Maha and Hyunji has been calling her, and she cried harder when she saw the text from his mom asking about her performance today.

She can’t believe she won’t be graduating with her friends this year because of one person. She had a dream graduating with Maha and Hyunji, take a photo together and make her parents proud. Now she’s too ashamed to face her parents and Mr. Ha who promised to work together with her when she graduated. She also have to be in one class with her juniors next semester who wished her good luck for her final performance today and always told her she’ll be the best graduate this year.

Her phone rang, and when she saw the caller, she quickly wiped her tears. It’s her mom. She always answer her call whenever and wherever, because not answering the call will make her worry. After clearing , she answered the call. “Hello, sajangnim,”

“Hello, my pretty daughter. How’s your exam today? Your dad and I and also the whole crew here prayed for you before we open the restaurant,” she said when laughing. “It went well, right?”

She tried her best not to stay cheerful, but hearing her mother’s voice mad her tears find its way to her cheek again. Hearing no response, her mother asked, “Lia-ya, what is it?”

She cried so loud. Her mother try to calm her down and finally she told her everything. From how she had fun all this time with Hyun, and he disappointed her today of all day. But her mother stayed calm and told her it was totally fine.

“Aigoo, you must be upset. It’s okay, Lia-ya, I’m sure he didn’t mean it. It’s also more than fine if you don’t graduate this year, we’re more happy if you enjoy your college days to the fullest. Maybe this is a sign for you to take a break for a while, why don’t you come home during the holiday? Or should we go on a trip?”

Lia loved the way her mom handle this situation. She knew her parents never demand her to graduate this year, it was all her ambition. She just realized it’s been so long since she came home and spend the whole school break with her parents because she usually worked at the academy because on school break Mr. Ha opened a summer camp for the children. She was thinking about to do it again this year to stay busy, but going home and take a break might be a better option. She worked too hard all these years, she almost forget when was the last time she went on vacation.

After promised her mom she’ll be home in two days, she texted Maha and Hyunji in their group chat she wanted to be alone today because they told her they were on their way to her apartment. She’s deep in her own thoughts. Lee Hyun disappointed her today and at the same time she also knew the audition is very important to him. But she can’t forgive him that easy, because all her hard work to rearrange the music, brainstorming, finding the right concept went in vain. She snapped back from her own thoughts, back to herself and started to sort things out.

First, she’ll have to pack her stuffs. Second, she’ll inform Mr. Ha tomorrow she won’t be available to teach for a while. Third, she’ll delete Lee Hyun’s number.