pinky promise

when the ice melted and the fire subsided

“Uhm.. Mrs. Choi, actually I can go home alone, it’s only 9pm,” said Lia shyly after they finished dinner. Ha Seok already left to the studio, so the three of them had dinner together.

“If you leave, Lee Hyun will also leave and won’t sleep here. It’s hard to make him stay!” Mrs. Choi Jungin pouted. Lia looked uncomfortable, and tried her best to smile. She had no problem sleeping over, but she’s afraid making Mrs. Choi uncomfortable.

“I’ll sleepover next week, I promise,” said Hyun.

“I need companion because my husband won’t come home until morning,” she said sadly. Hyun knew about her habit of jokingly guilt tripping others. He looked at Lia, she looked uncomfortable but before he could say anything, she told her. “Will you be uncomfortable if I sleepover?”

Mrs. Choi looked so happy. “Of course not! I’ll be delighted to have you here, omo let me prepare your bed,” then she went to her room.

“You shouldn’t have to, really,” said Hyun. Lia just smiled awkwardly. She actually feel so happy coming here, because Mrs. Choi welcomed her warmly and her house is lovely. Mrs. Choi is an easygoing person so it’s very easy to like her. She came out from her room with extra beds, blankets, and pillows.

“You don’t mind sleeping in the living room, right?” before they could answer, she prepared two beds on the floor not far from each other. Seeing it, Hyun panicked. He used to sleep in the living room whenever he sleepover, but he didn’t think Mrs. Choi is going to make him sleep beside Lia in the living room.

“Imo, why you prepare two beds? Lia will be sleeping in Eun’s room, right?” asked him awkwardly.

Mrs. Choi giggled. “Ha Eun is sleeping in her own room, and I’m afraid she’d be startled if she wakes up and find a beautiful sister sleeping in her room,” she looked at Lia. “You don’t mind sleeping here, right? Don’t worry, I’ll be sleeping in the couch with you guys,” she winked. Lia just nodded awkwardly. After dinner, Mrs. Jung prepared fruits as they washed up then they play cards. Lia missed her parents even more, they also used to play cards together before going to bed.

“Ah, my house seems a little brighter with a young lady here, because this man is usually just eat and locked himself in Ha Seok’s study,” said Mrs. Choi, smiling brightly. “You will come here often, right?”

Lia smiled and nodded. She didn’t mind coming here often, because this home felt like home. Mrs. Choi also attended Mido School of Performance and was an active song-writer before she had a child. Lia wanted to ask and know more about her past experiences.

“Aigoo, look at the time. Let me change and join you here,” then she went to her bedroom, leaving Hyun and Lia alone in the living room. Both of them already tucked in their bed not far from each other. Hyun stole a glance at her who’s busy fixing her blankets, she didn’t look flustered at all laying down not that far from him. But he was uncomfortable being this close with her, and he couldn’t explain why.

“What took her so long?” he get up and knocked Mrs. Choi’s bedroom. Hearing no response, he slowly opened the room, and found Mrs. Choi sleeping comfortably in her bed. He was speechless.

Seeing Lee Hyun didn’t move, Lia asked him. “Why? Is she asleep?” and Hyun just nodded. Lia laughed. “She must be so tired,”

Hyun cleared his throat and went back to his bed. He tried his best to quickly fall asleep, but he couldn’t. He can’t hear any movement from Lia, and assumed she was sleeping, so he braced himself to turn around and face her to find a better posture to sleep. Much to his surprise, she’s not asleep, and was looking at his direction.

“Why, you can’t sleep?” asked her. He didn’t answer and just closed his eyes.

“Coming here making me miss my parents even more,” Hyun opened himself and found her smiling. “I really like Mrs. Choi, she’s a great person,”

She looked pretty even with her bare face. Flustered, Hyun turned around so he’s not facing her. He tried to sleep, but then he heard her say “thank you” in a low voice.

 

---

 

After the impromptu sleepover, Lia often visited Mrs. Choi, with or without Hyun. Before leaving that day, Mrs. Choi gave Lia her number and asked her to visit her whenever she wants. Lia visited her once with Hyun to help Mr. Ha move one keyboard from the studio to his house, and twice without Hyun to play with Eun, asked Mrs. Choi about her opinion regarding one of her assignments, and listened to her experiences as a song-writer.

One Friday, Lia was about to sleep early because she’s been so exhausted the whole day when Hyun called her. “Oh, what’s up, Hyun-ah?”

“Can you come out for a bit? I’m in front of your house,” said Hyun.

“Huh? Why?” Lia disconnect the call, grabbed her coat and head outside.

She found Hyun waiting for her outside. He looked uneasy, and when he saw her, he quickly stand in front of her. “I’m about so say something. First rule, just listen and don’t ask any question. Second rule, don’t get angry.”

“What is it?” asked Lia. She couldn’t read his face, but her heart raced like crazy. It’s very unlike him to visit, let alone at this hour.

Then he told her everything without leaving any details. His friend, Yoo Taeyang just called to tell him the date for the audition, and it happens on the same day as their final assignment. When Lia was about to protest, he went on. The audition is two hours before their performance, at 8am, the place is not far from their school, and he promised he won’t be late and ruin their performance.

“What kind of band audition held very early in the morning?” asked Lia. She’s very concerned. Professor Kwon is strict with attendance, she won’t tolerate anyone who’s late especially on exam day. “Can you ask the committee to switch or change the date because you have an exam that day?”

“I already did. I even begged my friend and told him I can go way earlier than 8am and have the entire day free after 12pm. But he said the members scheduled to go to Japan right after the audition, and that’s my only chance,” he said. He sighed, put bot of his hands in his pants, and avoided her eyes.

For the first time since knowing him Lia saw him this frustrated. She knew how important the audition is for him, but their final performance is equally important. “Just promise me you won’t be late,”

He just nodded.

“Say it. Promise me.” She took her right hand from her coat’s pocket and held her pinky.

“I promise.” He’s flustered, but he link his pinky with hers.

She smiled. “If you’re late, just know I won’t forgive you. I won’t even talk to you or see you ever again. You know our exam is also important, right? We won’t be able to graduate if you don't come.”

“I know, I already promise you I won’t be late. I need to graduate too.” said him.

She chuckled. “Want a hot tea before you go? You look freezing.”

He really wanted to come inside, have a warm tea, and talked with her. But he shook his head instead. “Maybe next time.”

She smiled.