self-realization

when the ice melted and the fire subsided

They meet up the next day after class in the park outside their building. Many students were there, and the girls who usually approached Hyun just to greet him or asked for his number have no courage to do so because Yoo Lia sat in front of him looking all serious.

“I told you numerous time, that song is so mainstream. Let’s do something different,” said Lia while folding her arms. In front of her, Hyun looked so stressed.

“Ya, I don’t know, let’s do whatever song you want,” he closed his eyes and lay down on the bench.

“And let you take credits for the research and song arrangements I made? No way,”

Hyun sat up and took a deep breath. It’s hard to compromise with Lia. She wants to make the best performance, but her suggestions are difficult and challenging, although not impossible. She’s busy looking at her laptop, comparing songs after songs. She’s passionate, and Hyun liked how professional she was even though she was really cranky and difficult.

“Aren’t you going to the academy? Look at the time” said Hyun. They’ve been sitting there for almost two hours, and he’s hungry.

“No, I already told Mr. Ha we have to discuss this today. Congratulations, you don’t have reason to run away,” she answered without looking at him, but at the same time he can heard her stomach grumbling. He chuckled.

“I guess Ms. Grumpy is hungry,” he stand up and stretched his body. “Let’s continue while grabbing a meal. Don’t worry, I won’t run away,” and started to walk away. Lia was embarrassed but quickly tidy up her belongings and followed him.

They decided to go to the noodle place next to their school. It’s a popular place, but it’s not too crowded when they came. While waiting for their meals, they started brainstorming again. As expected she got many ideas and very eager to try new techniques and arrangements. Hyun can’t help but agree to her ideas.

“I misjudged you. I thought you won’t care at all to this assignment. Sorry,” said Lia suddenly while they are having a meal.

Startled with the sudden confession, Hyun smirked. “Of course, I need to graduate too,”

She laughed. “Then why you act like you don’t care at all? Ah, to keep your cool image, right?” she .

He was taken aback and cleared his throat. “This is my real personality, you know,”

“Ah, yes, yes..” she continued to .

Their conversation surprisingly shifted from their assignment to their lives. Hyun now knew that she dreamed to be a singer and song writer, write her own songs to either sell it or sing it herself. She looked so happy when she talked about it, her eyes sparkled.

“What about you? It’s not common for a quiet guy like you majoring in vocal,” asked her.

Then he told her about his dream having his own band and produce his own music. He told her he can play several instruments, and he’s always looking for a band audition. He auditioned last month but didn’t make it, so he learned more at Ha Seok’s studio.

“Right, how do you know Mr. Ha? It seems you two are very close,” asked her again while drinking her tea.

“You have too many questions, do you? I’ll tell you next time.”

“Why not now? I’m curious,”

He smiled. “I need to go, Ms. Curious. I don’t have the whole day to have a chit chat with you,”

Yoo Lia was embarrassed, again. She’s rarely felt this way, she’s always proud and confident. She didn’t get embarrassed when she’s wrong or misunderstand something. But why she’s always get embarrassed in front of this guy?

“O-oh, right. Don’t forget to practice the song and let me know what do you think about the song arrangements,” she tried to sound confident again.

“Okay. See you tomorrow, then?” and he left.

 

---

 

It’s 6pm and Lia decided to walk back home. Her apartment is two bus stop away, but she decided to walk to breathe the fresh air. While waiting to cross the street, she met her juniors, Kim Dojin and Choi Minsoo.

“Sunbae!” they greeted her.

“Hi! Going home?” she asked them and the two nodded.

“Sunbae, are you close with Lee Hyun sunbae? I heard some girls saw you two at the noodle place,” asked Dojin.

“Close? Ya, do you know Professor Kwon partnered him with me for my final assignment? Who are those girls let me rip their mouth!” Lia exploded. The two of them laughed.

“Why not? You’ll make a great pair,” Minsoo told her as she punched his arms lightly.

“You better not make up any rumors because I’ll scold you to no end,” she relieved when the crossing lamp turned green and said goodbye to the two troublemakers. They are cheeky but polite so she liked hanging out with them. When she arrived home, she asked Maha and Hyunji to have chicken and beer at her place, but both of them have a date.

Yoo Lia sighed. She never dated. Her time in high school were filled with studying and volunteer activities to gain extra score. She also participated in some vocal competitions, and had her weekends taking lessons in vocal academy. One of the guy in the class next to her, Park Seonghwa, had asked her out, but she politely refused because she wanted to focus on studying in order to be accepted to Mido School of Performance.

“Ya, where are you?” suddenly her high school friend, Moon Bin, called her.

“Home, obviously, why?” asked her.

“Aish, I can’t believe this girl. We’re having a dinner with our classmates!”

Lia gasped. She forget the dinner appointment with her former classmates. She quickly changed and left.

“Aigoo, General Yoo must have a lot in her mind,” Moon Bin greeted her when she arrived, he had save a seat for her next to him. All of her friends were already there.

“Sorry! I’m so busy preparing my final assignment,” she took a seat and Kim Dahyun slide a glass of beer in front of her. She gulped it down.

“Really? Tell us about your school. It must be amazing, and all the students must be talented. How about the boys? I bet they are all handsome. Do you have a boyfriend?” asked Jang Yeeun curiously.

“Yes! I heard the boys in Mido School are handsome. How is it, Lia-ya?” asked Dahyun.

“If you guys are really my friends, you must know I don’t have time to date,” she simply answered them. “I have work too, so I’m really tired everyday,”

“Then again, I bet no boys are brave enough to ask this general out. She must be too intimidating and grumpy all the time. The only brave guy is Park Seonghwa, and he is completely ditched by her,” said Moon Bin. Lia can only laughed and agreed with him.

After having fun with her friends, she excused herself first because she has a class to teach the next day. She’s tired but she can’t sleep because she’s been thinking Moon Bin’s words. It’s true, throughout her college years, no guy has confessed his feelings or asked her out. She never think about it seriously because she went to college to study, not to date, and never paid much attention to the guys in her school. But the words too intimidating never went through her mind. She knew her reputation as someone who’s hard to approach, not too friendly especially to strangers, and always fight for justice in her own way. And she didn’t mind. She didn’t want to change her personality just to please or get along with others. She liked being herself and didn’t have the urge to be loved or liked by many. She have her best friends and few close friends, and it’s more than enough.