Chapter 6

Night Changes

"Can you please sit down, Mina?! I'm getting dizzy because of your constant back and forth!" Momo nagged as she watched Mina continuously walking as if searching for something. 

 

"Yeah Mina, what are you looking for? You're food is getting cold you know?" Jihyo added. 

 

Mina put on a frustrated face as she sat down beside Jihyo. She looked at Momo with a guilty face. 

 

"Momo, don't hate me but.. I think I lost something very very important"

 

Momo's brows furrowed. "Something important? What is it? Mina, as long as it's not your underwear then it's fine"

 

Both Momo and Jihyo laughed with that obvious joke but Mina could only clear . How can she say that she lost her damn underwear too?

 

"I lost our... friendship bracelet" Mina said in a nervous voice as she watched Momo's shocked reaction. "I'm really sorry, Momo"

 

"What?! I mean, how can you even lose it?"

 

Mina gulped hard, readying herself for a long explanation. "Well, uh, because last night-"

 

"Oh my God!" Jihyo suddenly sprung up from the couch and held Mina's shoulders. "Don't tell me you lost it because you really got laid last night?!"

 

Mina blinked twice at that as she was shaken up by Jihyo's great deductions and also for not knowing what to respond. Her eyes switched from Jihyo to Momo, watching her with their hawk eyes. Waiting impatiently for what she's about to say but Mina's guts is telling her that they're just waiting for her to confirm it.

 

Mina always lived to the saying that silence means yes so she just looked away and lowered her head. 

 

She played with her fingers as if it's the most interesting thing in the world. Mina's heart doubled as she heard gasps from her friends. 

 

"What the hell, Mina! Tell me you did not do it??" Momo is now standing in fromt of her. 

 

"I.. did"

 

"Oh my God!" Jihyo squealed in too much happiness. "You finally did it, Minari! That's my girl"

 

"Jihyo, stop it!" Momo glared at her. "Mina I just joked about getting laid last night I didn't know that you'll get serious with it! Do you know that person? Is she a girl or a boy?"

 

Mina lifted her head to meet their eyes. "A g-girl"

 

Jihyo raised a high-five at her while smiling widely. "Good job!"

 

"Do you know her or she's a complete stranger?"

 

"I.. uh, actually-"

 

"It's better if she's a complete stranger, Momo and you know it" Jihyo interrupted. "That's what one night stands should be"

 

"I know. So Mina, is it a stranger?"

 

"Sorry but.. I know her. You both know her" Mina swallow a lump on . "It's.. Nayeon. Im Nayeon"

 

"What?! Are you crazy??"

 

"As in Im Nayeon, your college crush?!"

 

Mina nodded her head. 

 

"Mina are you even sure about that? I know Nayeon was there because Jeongyeon is her friend but that's just impossible!" Jihyo was freaking out about it too. 

 

"Right! How can you have a one night stand with her? Are you crazy? Are you really sure?"

 

"Maybe you're just hallucinating last night or you were just too drunk"

 

But Mina shook her head and looked at her friends with her confident eyes. "No, I'm sure. It's really her. It's Nayeon. I can never get wrong about her"

 

"Mina what have you done? Are really out of your mind why did you drink too much alcohol?" Momo sat down in front her. "You know that Nayeon just recently broke up with Sana, right?"

 

"Yeah, I know"

 

"Then why, Mina? You're entering a big mess!"

 

"Why? You said it yourself, Nayeon already broke up with Sana so why would Mina be in a big mess?" Jihyo retorted back. 

 

Momo shook her head. "No, believe me Mina. I know better okay? Just forget it and act like it didn't happen"

 

"I know, Momo. I wasn't even planning anything" Mina sighed as she leaned back on the sofa. "I don't even know if she saw my face or if she'll remember me. So don't worry, I won't enter a big mess"

 

"You're overreacting, Momo. We could've just be happy for Mina and let her be happy too" Jihyo crossed her arms. "For God's sake it was her long-time crush!"

 

"And that's why it's a problem. You wouldn't even get it" Momo snapped back and looked at Mina again. "Just promise Mina that it's all just a one night stand and nothing else. Don't even think of finding or contacting her. Just end things like how they end this morning"

 

"I know, Momo. I know. I'm not that desperate okay?" Mina looked up at the ceiling. "It's just a one time thing and nothing else"

 

———

It's been a week since everything that Nayeon considered as her worst nightmare has happened. Until now, she's telling herself that nothing happened that night and trying to shrug it off. Nayeon is still struggling to get used to living a life without Sana in it. Hence, still missing her everyday and still hoping that everything would just get back to normal. 

 

Nayeon is doing her best not to contact Sana every now and then even if she's failing every other day. She'll just find herself leaving Sana a message and a missed call before she sleeps. It's been hard trying to get through of everyday without the person she's been with for six years yet Nayeon is proud of taking little baby steps. 

 

Just like right now, since being with Sana it's Nayeon's first time of making a grocery run. Her friends kept on bugging and complaining about her pad being out of food. What they don't is the cupboard used to be full of foods because Sana likes to cook. 

 

Taking her full step inside the supermarket seems like a big achievement for Nayeon. She took a deep breath as she try to wash away the memories of Sana heading straight to where the push carts are. 

 

"That's right, Nayeon. You're doing great. You'll get used to it" she reminded herself as she pulled a push cart herself. 

 

Nayeon looked at all the grocery aisles and looked up to the signage. She kept her eyes back and forth to signs and to her phone, as she's confused on what to get first. Sana is a very organized woman that even the list for the things they need are already arranged. That's why grocery shopping has been just easy and fast for them. Unlike right now, Nayeon is hell sure that it'll take her hours just to complete her list. 

 

"Goodness! Whatever and just get into it" Nayeon took a big brave step towards the ramen's section. 

 

Even the list got changed, it's all instant foods and snacks right now. She shook her head for feeling pathetic that she can't even cook for herself. At that moment, she remembered what Jeongyeon said to her the other night that she was breaking down for the nth time. 

 

"Nayeon, you're just like this because you depended your life so much on Sana. So now that she left you, you don't even know where to start. You can't even stand on your own"

 

And Nayeon realized as she's staring at the pack of ramen on her hand that maybe Jeongyeon was right. She had full trust on the love and relationship Sana offered her. Nayeon marked it to her brain and to her heart that Sana will be with her for the rest of her life. That's why she depended on her with her whole life on it and now that she's gone, Nayeon crumbled with it. 

 

"Stop being pathetic Nayeon and just start over" she says like it's an easy thing to do as she throws the pack of ramen on the cart. 

 

Before Nayeon cries and embarass herself to all the people there, she decided to get moving. It's like she's just throwing all the foods that looks delicious to her on her cart, not even minding what they are. Nayeon wouldn't even deny that this first grocery shopping of her has been a mess but she doesn't care anymore. All she cares right now is that she wouldn't starve when she decided to camp out inside her pad again and never go out. 

 

As she was so focus on comparing and choosing two snacks, her phone rang. She gets it from her bag and rolled her eyes once she saw who the caller is but answered it anyway. 

 

"What, Dahyun? I'm busy?"

 

"Huh? Are you working on a weekend? Wait, where are you? Why is it so loud?" She bombarded Nayeon with questions. 

 

"I'm on a supermarket , what do you want? Just get into it"

 

"Wow! You're finally making it huh, Im Nayeon. That's our girl!" Dahyun laughed teasingly. "Anyway, so I have a news for you. I might be that close to finding who your mystery girl is"

 

Nayeon's brows furrowed. "Mystery girl? What nonsense are you saying this time?"

 

"What the hell! The one you had a one night stand with. Remember?"

 

"I.. I didn't have one!"

 

"Continue denying it if it's making you feel better" Dahyun scoffed. "But for now, send me the picture of that metal bracelet we found"

 

"Are you crazy? I told you I'm not home how can I send you a picture of that?"

 

Dahyun laughed on the other line. "Oh my friend, it's Kim Dahyun you're talking with. I took a picture of it using your phone so please kindly scroll and send it to me. Thanks!"

 

Then the call ended. Nayeon wanted to smack Dahyun if only she's here out of annoyance. And just to prove if what she said was true or not, Nayeon did scroll on the photos from her phone. But she wished she didn't do that, Nayeon just felt more annoyed because of Dahyun. 

 

She wasn't even ready for this, Nayeon is still not ready to see these memorable pictures of her and Sana. It made her heart ache once again, like it's being stabbed a million times and being torn into pieces. This time, a single tear finally escaped her eyes. Nayeon wanted to look away but she can't, the pictures are just too precious for her. It holds thousands of smiles, happines, love, and memories that money couldn't even buy. 

 

Nayeon missed Sana more, her goofiness, the way she clings to her, the food she cooked for her, the smiles, her eyes, her touch, her kisses, her hugs, her morning face, and it's all there. 

 

She wanted to laugh at herself for crying over this and for remembering how she complained to Sana for making her phone storage full. Even this time, all those pictures Sana took of herself is still there. But... she's not there with Nayeon anymore. 

 

Nayeon snapped out of it and decided to scroll past until she reached the bottom. And there it is, Dahyun was right after all she really did took a picture of it. Nayeon stared at the metal bracelet on the photo once again, focusing her eyes on the Japanese characters engraved to it. 

 

If she's that interested about finding it's owner, maybe Nayeon has already thought of a way to translate what it is. But she's been occupied by alot of things and by that it means Sana, that she can't even think about anything else. 

 

Nayeon sent it right away to Dahyun because id she doesn't, she'll just kept on bugging her. There's no harm on it anyway, Nayeon is still sure that she didn't had a one night stand with anyone else. It's all just nonsense. 

 

Nayeon wiped her eyes and swerve the push cart without even noticing that there's a person on her way. So she accidentally hit that person and the things it's holding fell on the floor. Nayeon's eyes widened as she ran over to help the girl pick up the stuff that fell. 

 

"Oh my, God! I'm really sorry I didn't saw you" Nayeon apologized while picking it up one by one. Their hands even brushed with each other. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry"

 

"It's okay it's nothing I also didn't see..." the girl stopped talking and Nayeon lifted her head up. Their eyes met but that's not what caught her attention. Her eyes traveled down as the girl continued what she's about to say, as if stunned. "... you"

 

Nayeon's stayed on that spot as war flashbacks came rushing to her. She can't be wrong, it stayed vividly on her mind. 

 

"I'll go, sorry" 

 

Before Nayeon could even speak to her again, the girl walked away in a rush. All she could do is watch her as she's trying to process what happened. But one thing is for sure...

 

It was those same red lips with a mole above it.