Chapter 5

Night Changes

Mina woke up the next morning because of the throbbing pain she felt on her head. When she opened her eyes she was greeted by a total darkness and it made her felt dizzy. She searched in the dark with her hand, trying to find her phone on the bedside table but there's nothing. Her forehead creased when a sudden realization hits her. 

 

War flashbacks of what happened last night surged her body and mind. Mina unconsciously traced her fingers through her lips down to her neck. Upon realizing what she's doing she immediately shook her head and attempted to got up only to feel another body beside her.

 

"What the... " 

 

Mina whispered to herself. She could only ran her hand through her hair because the sight of Nayeon makes it more real. Mina wasn't dreaming at all. 

 

Mina slowly got up using the dark room to her advantage because she feels more embarrassed upon seeing her body. She's praying to all the saints that Nayeon wouldn't wake up at this moment. Mina tried to remember where she put her things because she really needs her phone right now. 

 

Few steps from the bed, she stepped on her shirt and she wanted to thank God for that. Mina hurriedly wore it and went out to the living room to get her bag. Her frustration and stress rose up upon seeing her phone bombarded by missed calls and messages from her friends, basically looking for her. But Mina got no time to reply yet because her ultimate goal is to leave that place before Nayeon wakes up. 

 

Mina went back to the room and used her phone as her flashlight to find her missing clothes. She's careful not shine a light onto Nayeon's direction because it'll be over the minute she do that. 

 

"Where the is my underwear?!" Mina frustratedly murmured while wearing her bra. It was already a heavy minutes that passed and she still can't find it, she's just holding on to her shorts. 

 

Suddenly, Nayeon shifted from the bed and let out a little groan. Mina's eyes widened and she suddenly froze as she tried to cover the light from her phone. She waited for what will happen next and to be honest, Mina was already expecting for the worse. But the heavens is still giving her favor because after waiting for almost five solid minutes, Nayeon is still sleeping. 

 

Without having any second thought or caring any less about her missing underwear, Mina scurried out of the room, grabbed her bag from the living room, and left Nayeon's place. Mina didn't realize that she have been holding her breath for so long not until she was inside the elevator. Her legs were wobbly, she was gasping for air, and her head is killing her. 

 

Mina finally replied to her friends as she's on her way home. 

 

Me: hi, I'm alive so don't worry. I'm on my way home. 

 

Momo: wth Mina?! We thought something bad happened to you! Where the hell are you the whole night???

 

Jihyo: Nah uh, Momo. I guess something GOOD happened last night. Right, Minari?

 

Momo: oh my god OH MY GOD!! DID YOU FINALLY GET LAID?!

 

Mina closed her eyes while massaging her temple upon reading the messages from her friends. It was clear, that even if she's gonna hide it, they might already know. 

 

"Goodness, Mina! I must've been out of my goddamn mind" Mina bangs her head to the car's window as she recall her life's stupid decisions.

 

———

Nayeon groaned in pain as she reached for her phone that's loudly ringing which caused her to wake up. Her hair is a mess and she's disgusted by her own smell because she still reeks with alcohol. Nayeon just slightly opened her eyes to answer the call without even bothering to look who the caller is. In her mind, she just wants to sleep again. 

 

"What?"

 

"What do you mean what?!" Nayeon distanced the phone from her ears because of Jeongyeon's loud voice from the other line. "Do you know what time is it? It's ing two in the afternoon, Im Nayeon!"

 

It caused Nayeon to shot uo her eyes open to look at the time on her phone with her brows furrowed. Jeongyeon was right, it was already 2:13 in the afternoon. Nayeon realized that she's been sleeping all day and her stomach started to growl along with her headache. 

 

"What the ... I'll never drink again"

 

"You always say that whenever you have a hangover" Jeongyeon said in a mocking voice. "I guess you already forgot about our plan today. Are you still going with us?"

 

Nayeon sat up on her bed and reached for the remote control to open her curtains. As the light seeped in, she saw how messy her pad is. 

 

"No, I think I'll just clean today"

 

"As expected" Jeongyeon scoffed. "Alright I'll just call Dahyun and we'll go over there later. Wash up and eat, drunkard"

 

As soon as the call ended, Nayeon finally decided to got up and move her because she's already starving. She didn't even mind or wondered why she's because she always sleep with no clothes on. Nayeon rummaged on her kitchen and realized that she never cooks and all she got are instant food. In the end, Nayeon just end up eating an instant ramen just so she could say that she had a food intake.

 

Nayeon's headache and hangover calls for a cold shower that afternoon. Even if she wanted to clean her pad so bad, she just can't take the smell of the alcohol on her body and the sticky feeling all over her. Nayeon planned to clean first before taking a shower but her plans took a U-turn. 

 

As the cold water is running through her body, Nayeon closed her eyes while soaping every bit of it. Suddenly, an unfamiliar face and a scenario flashed before her eyes. The face is blurry but that red lips with a mole above it stayed on Nayeon's mind even after she opened her eyes. Nayeon got weirded out by that as she couldn't remember where or who was that. 

 

"Am I still drunk?? Goodness! I'll never drink that ing alcohol again" she talked to herself and finished showering. 

 

But every time she closes her eyes, that same red lips linger on her head. A mysterious red lips that might come from one of the movies she watched so she shrugged it off. 

 

Nayeon wore her robe and started cleaning her kitchen, throwing expired products and leftover food from the fridge. As she's cleaning the kitchen cabinets, Nayeon saw the couple mug that belonged to Sana. She looked at it for a good minute before heaving a sigh and dumping it on the trash bag. 

 

She wasn't even sure if she's cleaning because it's a mess or Nayeon is also erasing traces of Sana on her pad. Even if she doesn't want to do it, she felt like she should because it hurts more to see pieces of her everyday. It just always reminds Nayeon of her painful reality. 

 

The living room was quite clean except for the messy pillows on the couch. As she turned around on the display shelves, Nayeon felt like crying. She crouched down and lowered her head on her arm, silently sobbing. Once she let it all out, Nayeon got a big box from her storage room and carefully placed in there the picture frames of her and Sana. Such happy memories that she's fighting to look back to because it ends up being a painful one.

 

After taking a coffee break to ease her mind and to make herself relax and better, Nayeon get back to cleaning. Her room was a total mess because there's literally clothes everywhere, her things are all mixed up. If her mom would see this, Nayeon was so sure she'll get a whole day of nagging. 

 

Nayeon starts to fix her hairdresser, the things on her work table and bedside table, and also her closet. It's already taking her so much time just to tidy things up and Nayeon knows this cleanliness wouldn't even last for a week. She started picking up the clothes that's just laying on the floor. Nayeon remembered the dress that she wore last night and picked it up so it'll go to the laundry but, her brows furrowed when something else was attached to it. 

 

"What the hell is this underwear doing here?" Nayeon said as she inspected a black-laced underwear that's under her bed. "Wait.. is this mine? Do I own undies like this?"

 

Before she freaks out, Nayeon put all the dirty clothes, including that underwear. But as she's walking she kept on staring at it as if trying to get familiar with it, Nayeon was hoping and hardly thinking that it may be one of her new undies from last week's shopping. Nayeon is leaning on the door of the laundry room, drowning on her thoughts when the doorbell rang. 

 

Nayeon snap out of her thoughts and went to open it. As she expected, Jeongyeon and Dahyun are already here. Jeongyeon is looking at her in disbelief while Dahyun is still on her usual playful smile. 

 

"We thought you're already dead you know" Dahyun teased as she plopped down the couch. "You just suddenly disappeared from the bar"

 

"Yeah so explain now, Im Nayeon. Where the hell did you go?"

 

"Uh.. here? I'm sure I went home because duh obviously I woke up here. But.." Nayeon scratched the back of her head. "I don't fully remember everything. I feel like.. like I did something dumb"

 

"What's new?" Jeongyeon chuckled as she tour around the pad. "You called Sana, right? Drunk calling are your worst habits"

 

"No! I didn't. Believe me, it's a miracle because I didn't"

 

Dahyun shifted on her seat as if she's amused by that. "Really? I wonder why. Maybe you're just that drunk to not make any calls anymore"

 

"I hope it's just like that but I feel like something much worse happened"

 

Jeongyeon turned to look at her with furrowed brows. "What do you mean, Nayeon?"

 

"It's hard to explain but wait for me here"

 

Then she ran to the laundry room and get the undies that she found awhile ago. Nayeon raised it for her friends to see while she's standing by the door. 

 

"What the , Nayeon! I'm not planning to see your undies!" Dahyun said in a disgusting voice. 

 

"No! This is not mine, okay? But I found it at my room!"

 

Her friends became speechless after that as if trying to process what she said. Not until Jeongyeon finally spoke up. 

 

"What do you mean it's not yours but it's in your room? Are you insane?!"

 

"Oh my God, Nayeon!" Dahyun gasped. "So that's why you disappeared last night. You had a one night stand with someone from the club, didn't you?!"

 

Nayeon felt stoned at where she's standing upon hearing what Dahyun said. As if she's like in a movie, another flashback started to flash her mind. From talking to a girl from the bar, to riding the cab, to dragging her to her pad, and up to kissing her and.. having with her. But still, the face was blurry that Nayeon couldn't even recognize it. 

 

"You did what, Nayeon?! Is that true?"

 

"Uh.. I.. yes?" Nayeon answered unsure. 

 

Dahyun gasped again. "Do you know her? What's her name?"

 

"Oh my ing God! That's the problem I don't even know her name or remember her ing face!" Nayeon frustratedly answered. 

 

Because it's true. In that faceless woman, all that Nayeon could remember is her red lips and the mole above it. That's all, nothing else. 

 

Jeongyeon shook her head. "I wouldn't let you drink again alone, Nayeon"

 

But that's not what Nayeon is worried about, she couldn't care any less about that girl. All she could think of if ever it's true that she had a one night stand with a random stranger is... Sana. 

 

"I'm doomed guys, so ing doomed" Nayeon felt like crying once again because of too much annoyance with herself. "What if Sana knows about this? She'll hate me to death, she won't come back to me. I ing cheated on her back"

 

"Cheated? Nayeon, you're not together anymore. She left you already, remember?" Jeongyeon said. "So she has no business on you anymore. You do what you want to do"

 

"I agree. You're single already so you can do whatever you want. Stop thinking about Sana"

 

Nayeon shook her head, not accepting this reality. "No, because wait, what if I never had with anyone in the first place? I shopped last time maybe this underwear is a new one that's why I couldn't recognize it. It's impossible, I can't do that to Sana it will never happen-"

 

"Ouch!" Nayeon's words were cutted off by Jeongyeon's sudden loud outcry. It looks like she stepped on something and when she raised it, it's a silver bracelet. "Is this yours?"

 

Nayeon rushed over to see it and her heartbeat doubled upon seeing it. Once again, she couldn't recognize that bracelet. It doesn't belong to her nor to Sana. Nayeon flipped it and looked closer when she noticed there's something engraved to it. 

 

It was written in Japanese letters and as frustrating as it is, none of them can't read Japanese. With her shoulder drooping, Nayeon soulless sat on the couch. 

 

"It's not mine.." she said while placing the bracelet on the table. 

 

名井 南 was the letters engraved which reads...

 

Myoui Mina.