Chapter 3

Night Changes

Mina was welcomed by the loud sound and strobe of lights inside the bar. She wasn't used to crowded places and she kept on snitching her nose because of the mixed smell of alcohol, smoke, and different perfumes. Momo and Jihyo is walking in front of her while she's just tailing behind them, texting to make her way through the pool of people. 

 

Mina doesn't even know where they're going as she's just following the two but when they stopped, Mina peaked in front and she saw Jeongyeon welcoming them. 

 

"Hi, baby! Happy birthday" Jihyo greeted in her flirty voice and gave Jeongyeon a peck on the lips. 

 

Mina widened her eyes because she was not really sure if they have something but seeing it with her own two eyes is an enough proof. Momo even looked back at her with a wide grin, as if they're think the same thing. 

 

"Oh hey, gorgeous" Jeongyeon said while encircling her arms around Jihyo's waist. "Thank you. My gift later?"

 

Jihyo chuckled and caressed her arms. "Of course"

 

Momo cleared because Mina tapped her back, asking her to do something because they can't stand watching the two of them anymore. It made Jihyo and Jeongyeon look at them. 

 

"Happy birthday, Jeongyeon!" Momo happily greeted. 

 

"Hey! Thanks Momo"

 

Mina slowly stood beside Momo. "Uhm, happy birthday"

 

"Thank you.. uh..?" Jeongyeon is looking at her intently as if trying to remember who she is. But in the end, she looked at Jihyo asking for help. 

 

"Mina.. my name is Mina" she shyly smiled. 

 

"Oh, right Mina! It's nice meeting you" Jeongyeon held out her hand and Mina shook it. "Thank you guys for coming. Feel free to drink anything you want, it's all on me" then she turned to Jihyo. "Find a comfortable place for you and your friends. I'll come back to you later"

 

"Alright. Enjoy the night!" They kissed again before Jihyo waved goodbye. When she looked atvher friends, they were looking at her. "What? I told you, that's how we are. Come on let's find a seat"

 

"Goodness! We didn't have to saw that you know? You're making me jealous I'm really gonna find someone later" Momo whined as they were walking. 

 

Mina shook her head in disbelief. "Yeah, I guess you both are really friends" she said in sarcasm.

 

An hour just passed but Momo and Jihyo are already drinking to their hearts content. Mina is just taking sip by sip since she knows she has a low tolerance on alcohol and at least one of them should take the two home. And at this rate, it looks like Mina has that job. 

 

But of course, it's Jihyo and Momo who's she's with tonight, they just won't let Mina go that easy. 

 

"Come on, Mina. Stop restraining yourself and drink!" Momo shouted while handing her a glass of vodka. 

 

"Uh-huh! Let's get wasted tonight so bottoms up Minari!" Jihyo added. 

 

Mina could only shook her head as she bite the lemon before drinking the vodka. Her face grimace by the bitter taste and the slit feeling on . No matter how much she drinks, Mina will never get used to the taste of alcohol.

 

After a while, Jihyo and Momo are clearly had been hit by the alcohol as they're already restless on their seat. Mina didn't even expected to be drunk that night but sadly, she's also feeling a little tipsy already. Jeongyeon came and stole Jihyo from them and a moment later, Momo made her way to the dance floor leaving Mina behind. 

 

When they're not still back and Mina is getting bored as her friends are the only ones she talked to on that party, she decided to find them even if it's impossible considering the amount of people inside. As she expected, Mina failed to find her friends and ended up sitting on the bar counter. She was still busy roaming her eyes around trying to have luck finding them but a clink of glass caughts her attention. 

 

"Here's your drink, missy" the girl bartender offered as she placed another glass of vodka in front of Mina. 

 

"Uh, sorry-" Mina was about to return it because she knows she can't drink anymore but the girl is already busy serving other customer. 

 

Mina just ignored that vodka and let it sit there and just proceeds on finding even just one of them. Eventually, she just gave up because she's getting more dizzy just by watching those people dancing plus the flashing of lights. Mina turned around and ended up playing with the glass while bopping her head along the music. 

 

"Mina?" She turned around quickly upon hearing Momo's voice. "What are you doing there alone? Come on, let's dance!"

 

Mina firmly shook her head. "No, I'm fine here"

 

"Are you sure? You're no fun! We were supposed to be enjoying the night" Momo leaned in to whisper at her. "Let's get laid tonight"

 

"Yah, Hirai Momo!" But Momo just laughed at her while she smacked her arm. "Just.. go dance and come back here. I'll be waiting right here"

 

Momo kissed her cheek and waved at her goodbye before walking back to the dance floor, her hips swaying so much that it caught many attentions. Mina could only shake her head, her friends are just unstoppable like that. It's weird to say that she's already getting bored in a loud place like that, but she's been alone for long now and she had no one to talk to. 

 

Well, some guys tried to hit on her but Mina was so quick to shut them off. She's getting dizzy again and sleepy at the same time so she decided to rest her head on her arm at the table. But a moment later, Mina felt someone sitting on the chair beside her because that person slightly brushed on her leg. 

 

Mina raised her head quickly thinking that maybe Momo came back for her but she was stoned on her seat upon seeing who really it is. It was dark on where they were sitting, Mina is a little dizzy so she doesn't know if what she's seeing is real or her eyes are just playing on her. Mina almost blame it to the alcohol, too. Because it can't happen, it was so surreal. 

 

Im Nayeon is sitting beside her. 

 

And for her whole life that she had been admiring Nayeon, this was the very first time that she's seen her up close. That made Mina's heart beats so fast. Nayeon was ordering for drinks and she looks like she's already drunk. She's not noticing Mina's presence but Mina can't take her eyes off of her. After coming to her senses, Mina nervously looked away that she even drank the vodka which she promised not too. Mina gets more dizzy but this time, she wasn't sure if it's because of the alcohol. 

 

Damn, that taste. But also, damn Nayeon for looking this gorgeous beside me.

 

If her friends would just saw her right now, Mina knew they'd all think that she looks so dumb. She kept on covering her face with her hair as she shifted on her seat, looking sideways avoiding Nayeon's eye view. Mina wanted to walk away from that seat but her legs won't listen to her. It felt so numb and weak. 

 

Out of her frustration, Mina was trying to lean on the table but the worse is really yet to happen, she bumped her head so hard instead. 

 

"Ouch!" Mina exclaimed while caressing her forehead, still keeping her head low. When she thought that nothing gets worser than it is, Mina suddenly felt soft and slightly cold hand touched her shoulder. 

 

"Hey.." Mina was frozen on her seat. She can't be wrong, even if it sounded drunk, that voice is so clear to her. "Are you okay? Did you faint?"

 

Mina bit her lip so hard, trying to think fastly on what she's supposed to do now. Im Nayeon is talking to her, should she just face her or ran away? But of course Mina can't do that to Nayeon. Not now that she's showing genuine car. With heart racing so fast, Mina slowly raised her head while fixing her hair. As soon as Mina lifted her head and faced Nayeon properly, their eyes met. 

 

Mina gulped hard with too much emotion feeling inside. It's like there's a whole zoo inside her stomach. It's like she sober up just by the mere presence of Nayeon in front of her. 

 

What the hell, it's really happening. 

 

"Uh, y-yeah.. I'm f-fine" Mina smiled shyly as she stuttered for her words. 

 

"Are you sure?" Mina nodded so Nayeon returned to her seat. She almost sighed in relief  thinking it's over but.. Nayeon talked to her again. "Are you alone?"

 

"Eh?!" Mina responded out of shock. She shook her head to get back to her senses but with Nayeon looking at her intently, it's never easy. "Uhm, I'm with my friends"

 

Nayeon chuckled but it almost came out sadly. "Well, I'm... alone"

 

It was dark and Mina bet Nayeon couldn't even see her properly. But it's not the same for Mina, even if it's dark, it's like she already know Nayeon's face like it's the back of her hand. And when she said those words, it didn't past Mina's eyes on how she saw the pain that crossed on Nayeon. 

 

"Two vodkas please" Nayeon smiled at the bartender while Mina just watched her every move. Then, Nayeon handed Mina the other drink. 

 

Mina looked at it in confusion. Afraid that she can't drink anymore but.. it's Nayeon. "Well, I-"

 

"Will you accept this drink and be my listener tonight?" Nayeon smiled a little, hopes up for Mina to get it. "I'm just afraid that I might call her if I don't have someone to talk to right now"

 

With shaking hands, Mina received it. Their fingers brushed and it sent tons of shiver on her. Mina mentally sighed as she played with the glass on her hand. Well, I guess last one won't hurt. For Nayeon. 

 

"I'm sorry for bothering you tonight, I just want someone to talk to" Nayeon then drank the vodka, bottoms up. "You know, my girlfriend for six years, broke up with me just days ago"

 

Mina never wanted to interrupt, resorted to just drinking the drink from Nayeon. She did all that while she continued on listening. Nayeon face her side, head resting on her hand with her eyes closed. That red lipstick and drunk cheeks suited her so well. But despite that beauty, her eyes were crying.

 

"It's just.. I don't understand. How can someone leave you just like that despite of the years you've been together?" Nayeon laughed. "Is that easy to abandon someone? Or maybe.. I'm really just that easy to let go"

 

Mina clasped her hands together, trying to findi the right words. "Or maybe.. it wasn't your fault at all. You know there's just some things that no matter how much we want to wrok, it's just meant to not go on the way we expected it to be"

 

"Even if we love each other? Even after all those years?" Nayeon shook her head. "No because I love her so much that I can do everything to make it work. No matter how hard it is but still, she chose to left me"

 

"If you still love each other, then fight for it. But.." Mina sighed and looked at Nayeon, wanting to wipe her tears. "If you're just forcing yourself into her, then you better just let her go. There's a right time for everything, if you're meant to be, she'll comeback"

 

Nayeon wiped her tears as she chuckled. "Damn, your words hurt a lot do you know that?"

 

"I'm sorry" Mina smiled at her but eventually, got serious again. "Just remember to know your worth and be happy, always. Sometimes, the years you've been together and love isn't enough"

 

They fell in dead silence after that. Mina was so afraid that maybe she offended Nayeon or her words didn't help at all. She's already facing the bar counter once again, praying that everything's just fine or maybe Nayeon will just leave her. Mina was praying for a lot of things to happen just so she could escape her situation right now because no matter how much she's glad to talk with Nayeon, she just can't do it anymore. Her heart is about to burst. 

 

Where is Momo and Jihyo when I needed them the most?! Mina mentally cursed. 

 

Mina is already thinking of the "bathroom" escape method not until... Nayeon stood up and held her wrist. 

 

Mina looked up at her and at her hand, alternately. She was so scared that Nayeon would feel her nervousness. hang open but words won't come out. 

 

"Let's get out of here"

 

Nayeon said and dragged Mina out of the bar. And just like that, the gates to hell are about to open.