My Sun

My Sun
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Minho there is a new girl in our class."

"Uh uh," he replied absentmindedly.

"Her name is Minah and she is pretty. Like really pretty. Everyone was talking about how pretty she is. On top of that, she is also very intelligent. You would like her!"

"Sure," he says as he brushes Taemin's hair from his eye who is oblivious to it as he continues blabbering about the new girl.

"No, you just don't understand how pretty she is. Wait till you see her you will be gobsmacked. Don't blame me later that I didn't warn you."

 

Minho meets her in the chemistry class. She is sitting on the first bench. The people in the class have apparently found her just as beautiful as Taemin said and they are not shy talking about it loudly. The girl looks around offering a shy smile.

Minho knows that she is beautiful but he finds someone else more beautiful. He knows that he is being biased but he feels that Taemin is lovelier when he beams at him and talks to him animatedly with his eyes twinkling.

But he does not only like Taemin because he is beautiful. Minho also likes Taemin because of how intelligent he is, how optimistic he is when things are going down, and just how persistent he is. After all Taemin’s persistence made them the friends they are today.

 

 

Minho met Taemin when they were in 3rd grade. He was the new kid and was made to sit with Taemin who was then the class monitor.

Minho and his mother had just moved from Seoul after his dad left for the US. His mother had told him that they to going to Busan to stay with his grandmother on his maternal side for the summer holidays and that when his father would come back from the US, he would take them along as well. 8-year-old Minho had quickly believed the promise.

His mother had a hard time keeping up with the lie so she let him on the secret few days later. Minho felt betrayed and refused to talk to her for days.

He remembers how he barely interacted in the class, didn't talk much at home, and even avoided his grandmother. He wanted people to know how displeased he was living here.

After all, Minho hadn't known that he was staying here forever. He was just here for a vacation and all he wanted was to go back. He did not even want to go to the US; he just wanted to stay in Seoul. He missed his dad.

 

 

Taemin had tried really hard to talk to him. He would ask him all sorts of questions but Minho briefly answered them. Hearing questions about his life in Seoul made him sad. Taemin tried to invite him to lunch with his friends but Minho just ignored him and decided to sit in the class.

The teachers thought he was being bullied but he cleared their misunderstanding. Then they decided that he probably had a hard time fitting in and took him to the teachers' lounge for lunch. No one seemed to understand that Minho didn't have trouble fitting in; he just didn't want to fit in.

So Minho decided to be more aggressive about him not liking it here. He became stubborn. He would not listen to his teachers, his grandmother, or even his mom. He didn't do his homework and became the worst child his mother could possibly imagine.

Mrs. Choi when got a call from the teachers complaining about Minho was shocked at how her once a lovely child who was adored by everyone had changed drastically. She tried beating him, scolding him but nothing seemed to work.

All the children slowly started avoiding him. They would move away whenever he came and avoided talking to him. They were warned by their parents to not talk with the new bad kid who no one wanted to understand.

All but one, Taemin. Taemin would share his book with him in class when Minho purposefully removed it from his already packed bag in the morning. He tried shoving it back to Taemin's side but after some time it was again moved back in the middle, inching very slowly. He too reluctantly accepted it as he was curious to read more about the topic they were studying.

Minho really enjoyed studying and paying attention in class but he had started on the wrong foot and he just couldn't be a good student now. And after all, he creating problems in the class meant his mom would see how he hated it here and Minho thought that she should definitely see this. He had started resenting his mom for taking him away from his dad.

 

 

By 5th grade, he was used to sitting for detention after class. His mother had also gotten used to the countless calls she recieved from the school office. She was tired of his shenanigans. They just didn't seem to have the bond that they had earlier.

Mrs. Choi was a housewife before coming to Busan. She used to wait for Minho at the bus stop after school ended. They would go home, eat something that Minho craved or asked for, watch cartoons, and then she would help him study. Later in the evening, she would take Minho to the lee where he played with his friends. Then at 8, they would go back home. Minho would then play with his dad while his mother made them dinner.

It was just hard for Minho to leave behind those memories. He considered his mom at fault for spoiling his good life. His dad wasn't coming back and neither was his mom taking any initiative to get back in contact with him.

Minho's mom was working at an office now and would come home late tired. She would eat and then go to sleep quickly. In the morning, she used to leave before Minho woke up for school. His grandmother used to go to the village community center and spent her day there.

Minho was stuck in the house after school. He would have gone somewhere but he just hated the place and didn't want to roam anywhere. He would heat food or make himself some ramen and spend time surfing the web. He tried finding his dad online quite a few times but was unsuccessful. Minho always held hope that his father would come back for him one day and take him back.

The only saving grace for Minho was that he had not let his grades fall a lot. He scored B's which his mom didn't mind as she just had left any and every expectation from him. He tried to show as if he didn't pay attention in class usually by laying his head on the desk or just staring out of the window. Taemin would try to give him his notes because he felt Minho wasn't paying attention. Minho just scoffed at him and went back to looking out of the window.

He wished that Taemin would also stop trying to help him. He found the other dumb and pitiful. The other children continued avoiding him, why couldn't Taemin do the same? They sometimes laughed behind his back and talked about how their parents thought how spoilt of a child he was. Minho didn't pay any heed to it. Their talks didn't bother him at all. He had a mission to accomplish.

Taemin tried to move his attention away from the chat by blabbering about random things but Minho didn't even pay attention to that. Taemin just seemed to want to bring Minho out of the character that Minho was set on portraying for the last two years and Minho had firmly decided that he wouldn't leave it until his dad came back to take him. Then he would change back to the lovely Minho he once was. Till then he was fine this way.

But day by day he was starting to feel less hopeful and more pessimistic. What if his father didn't want him anymore? He quickly brushed away his thoughts as he remembered how much his dad loved him. There is no way he did not want Minho anymore. It must have been his mom's fault. She must be keeping him away from his dad. He refused to believe that his dad didn't try to contact him even once after they moved here. There must have been something that his mom was hiding. And he was going to uncover that and go back to his dad.

 

Minho felt sad when he saw everyone's parents attending PTMs or even picking up their kids from school. Minho's mom was too busy to pick him up or even come to his meetings now. His grandmother attended it on her behalf. The poor women tried to pay utmost attention to the feedback that the teachers gave and in turn relayed it to his mother diligently. But all the time getting the same feedback was tiring. The teachers were also tired of giving the same feedback. Minho or his family wouldn't talk about their problem or what was affecting Minho specifically.

When the teachers called Minho's mom she would reply hurriedly and promise that she would discipline Minho better. But Minho used to return to school the next day without any changes. Even if Mrs. Choi gave him any lecture he did not pay any heed to her.

 

 

For the holidays as long as Minho could remember he used to stay at home or spend his day at pc cafes. His family didn't have enough money and nor did his mother have any time to spare to go somewhere. Minho felt trapped in his house, in Busan. All he wanted to fly away somewhere. His hopes of getting to meet his father were dwindling day by day. He was just not interested as he was earlier.

He could never get himself to ask his mother about his dad. Even his mom seemed very hesitant to speak about his dad. Minho had walked onto his mom and grandmother seemingly talk about his dad but once they realized his presence, they would quickly change the topic or go completely silent. He didn't pester them about it as he knew that it would be fruitless.

He grew more and more envious of people coming from functional families. Where parents seemed to have time and love for their kids. He would wait near the school gate in the afternoon to see parents picking up their kids. Although it made him sad it also reminded him of the time when he and his parents were a happy family.

 

 

With all the feelings that were boxed up within him, it was no surprise that he had punched Taemin right in his face. He would have not acted like that he had someone to at least vent his feelings to.

Taemin in his sad attempts to get a small conversation out of Minho talked about the new game his dad got him. He was willing to show it to Minho.

Taemin even smirked at him stating that he would only let Minho play with it. But all that went through Minho's head was that Taemin was bragging about having a loving father who would buy him stuff. So he had punched him.

The teacher was very shocked at the scene unfolding in front of her eyes. She had never expected to see Minho actually hit someone. The boy always did seem angry but hitting someone seemed ridiculous even for him, especially hitting Taemin. After all, he was a nice boy and the only one who actively tried to become friends with Minho.

Miss Shin scolded him and called his mom. He didn't even know if his mom would come to school or not. Meanwhile, she ordered him and Taemin to go to the principal.

The walk towards the principal's office was very awkward. Taemin walked slowly clutching his jaw while Minho just decided to march forward and get over with the issue he had caused.

Mr. and Mrs. Lee came in. They just looked at Taemin without sparing Minho a glance. Even if Minho didn't show it he was very scared of the outcome. Taemin told them that he was alright and it was just a misunderstanding.

His mother came running in. Minho knew he was going to get heavily scolded after going home. She was quickly given a glass of water by Miss Shin as she was ushered to sit next to Mrs. Lee. She glares at him and Minho just rolls his eyes hiding his nervousness.

The teacher introduced her to the Lees and Taemin. She explained the problem at which Mrs. Choi seems very surprised. She would have never thought her child would do something like that. Especially to a sweet child like Taemin.

She slumps her shoulders feeling defeated. Mrs. Lee squeezed the seemingly distraught woman's shoulder offering her a small smile. Mrs. Choi profusely apologized to the Lees and the principal.

"Mrs. Lee I am really sorry. I will scold him for what he has done. Taemin, are you hurt?"

"No, Mrs. Choi" he answered hesitantly. He didn't want to make this problem bigger.

"I am really sorry Taemin. I don't even know how what is going through his mind."

"Mrs. Choi sorry to interrupt but I will have to suspend him for a week." the principal says as she interrupts Minho's mom. Mrs. Choi accepts the suspension but still continues apologizing to the people present while Minho just glances at Taemin and walks out. Taemin's eyes follow him. Both feel confused about the situation.

 

 

"Minho, did Taemin bother you before?" Mrs. Choi hangs her coat on the rack while Minho removes his shoes.

"No."

"Then why did you punch him?" she questioned weakly.

"Just because"

"Just because is not a valid answer Minho, you must have had a reason. You wouldn't act like this. You are not like this."

"Then what am I like mom?" He looks at her menacingly. Mrs. Choi couldn't see any warmth in Minho's eyes. She does not understand where her lovely child had gone.

"I don't know Minho but not like this? I never thought you would hit someone."

"Well, I did."

Mrs. Choi does not even know whatto say anymore. She does not understand why Minho is being so difficult. "Do you want to spoil your future? Are you going to start bullying people? Minho I didn't raise you like this." she screamed, her eyes bright with tears.

"Why are you being like this? Stop it."

"I'll completely stop this if you take me back to dad. I hate it here don’t you see?. You are keeping me away from my dad. There is no way he didn't reach out to me once. There is no way. He loves me too much to do that. Why are we here? Why can't we go back home?" Minho screamed

"This is our home Minho" she flinched as she looked up. She had never thought that Minho would think she was keeping him away from his father.

"No, this is your home. My home is back in Seoul." Minho scoffed. He felt guilty as he saw his mother becoming more and more distraught but he pushed his thoughts away.

"Do you think I like it here?" she screamed. Her face was red with tears spilling down. Minho had always seen his mom calm and composed and he just couldn't wrap his head around what he was seeing right now. His mom shouldn't be the one crying he should.

"What?"

"I said… do you think I like it here?" His mom just looked defeated. Minho could see how tired she looked.

"Wouldn't I want to continue living the happy life we had back then? Do you think I enjoy not getting a minute to breathe? To not get to spend a second of my time with my child who just seems to hate me more and more every day? Do you really think if I had a choice I would be here?" His mother screamed.

"Your father does not want us Minho. He found someone else to start his family with," she said as she burst into tears

"You are making it hard for me Minho. I am really disappointed in you."

 

Minho was very confused. He just went to his room not knowing about what to talk further. He did have some doubts about his father not wanting them but he had pushed them away not wanting to think of it.

Now he didn't only have one parent who didn't want him but probably two. He felt very guilty about directing all his anger towards his mom when she was not even at fault. He couldn't stop crying after coming to terms with the fact that his dad didn't want him in his life. What had he or his mom done so wrong that his seemingly loving father had wanted to keep no contact with them.

He had unnecessarily troubled people with good intentions for a person who didn't even want him. He had been such a rebellious child to his mother and grandmother. He even punched Taemin who didn't even know his issues and why Minho became angry all of a sudden.

Minho realized that Taemin didn't even know about his family conditions. Why would he brag if he didn't even know that Minho had an absent father? And as far as Minho knew Taemin, he knew that the other wasn't cruel enough to about it even if he knew.

Taemin had been nothing but an angel while dealing with him. No matter how standoffish Minho acted, he made sure to be as warm as he could be to the other. He would always make it a point to invite Minho to his birthday party even when he knew that Minho would never show up. That was the only invitation Minho got the whole year with the other classmates not even bothering with him.

He felt very remorseful. Minho didn't understand when he had punched Taemin. It just happened so suddenly. His anger should have never been redirected to Taemin.

His mom was right. He was not like this. What was he turning into? He didn't like it.

So he decided that on Tuesday when he could go to school he would sincerely apologize to Taemin. Minho was not even sure if the other would even accept his apology but he had to do it. Not only because his mother said so, but because he himself felt guilty. Minho was not ready to lose his somewhat friend.

 

 

Taemin avoided him like a plague. The teacher changed Taemin's seat. Minho was made to sit alone. He didn't actually mind sitting alone although he missed the constant annoying presence of Taemin a little bit. He was just embarrassed to face him.

All his plans to face the other and to say sorry went through the drain. He just couldn't face the other. And with the other wanting to avoid him just as much as Minho did, made it very convenient for him. He ignored the nagging feeling and just presumed it for the best. Now he can't harm anyone.

Minho was embarrassed to face anyone. He just felt as if he had wronged everyone. His hate for his mother had ebbed away and all he left was immense guilt towards her. He still could not forget his mother's defeated face as she broke down. It was as if she was forced to accept the reason that day. Minho had wasted almost 3 years being the worst child to his poor mother.

He felt lost and confused. He didn't want to keep on his façade anymore and didn't even think he could keep it on any longer. But now it was just not an option for him. He couldn't just randomly strike up a conversation with the kids that avoided him and he them for so many years. Maybe he would be alone forever after all. There was a reason why no one liked him.

 

 

Taemin slowly approaches during lunch. Through the corner of his eye, Minho can see his hesitation. He seems to finally make up his mind as he walks towards him and slowly calls his name.

Minho does not know how this is going to go and he feels very nervous. Whatever the outcome good or bad he is ready to accept it all. After all, he deserves it.

"Hey."

"Hi." Minho murmurs softly.

"I just wanted to say that I am sorry for talking about my new game. I swear I didn't mean to brag. I just wanted to play along with you." Taemin says as he fidgets with his shirt refusing to meet his eyes with Minho.

All Minho can think about was- why was Taemin apologizing. He should be the one doing it.

"No, I should be the one saying sorry. I shouldn't have punched you. I am really sorry Taemin." he fidgets awkwardly, shifting his balance from one foot to the other.

"Oh." Is all Taemin seems to have to say? He looks like he wasn't expecting an apology in return which makes Minho think- was he that bad of a person?

"Yeah. I mean I am not saying this because I got scolded but I really regretted hitting you. You have been nothing but good to me over years and I was such a- I just shouldn't have hit you."

" I mean I understand if you cannot forgive me but I just wanted to say sorry." Minho continues looking at the bewildered Taemin.

Minho reaches forward and snaps in Taemin's face.

"Hey, earth to Taemin." Taemin flinches as he looks up.

"Oh, uh, sorry I was just not expecting this situation." Taemin hadn’t really thought that Minho would actually apologize to him. "I don't know what to say… but I accept your apology." He says as he offers Minho a small smile.

Minho nods and smiles back.

 

 

Minho is now much more open to Taemin's attempt at being his friend. Taemin takes him to his house after school. He has the cutest dog named Togi who Minho comes to adore. After a few visits, the dog just nuzzles at him.

Minho's favorite place in Taemin's house is its library. Minho and Taemin build blanket forts and lie there after school finishes. He reads books while Taemin plays games on his phone. He just seems so engrossed in it. Togi sometimes comes to sit next to them in the fort. Minho loves petting him while reading.

Taemin loves to pet him. Minho laughs when Taemin talks to Togi in his baby voice. It is very funny to him but over days he starts doing it too. I mean Togi responds more cutely when he talks in a baby voice, tilting his head. Taemin does not

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter