(& let me love you)

All That I Know (Jeno Lee)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A minute until midnight
I'm just wondering where you at
Just thought I’d call and wish you goodnight
I left my key under the matt

I don't get anything done, you're stuck on my mind
I keep on missing your touch, missing your vibe
This feeling in my gut, wanna save what we had
Won’t you come on over

-Ella Faye, Gimme all you got

“Did you talk to Jeno?” Doyoung asked one day and you told him that you were at work. “Well, his parents are requesting a dinner. Someone tell me why I’m acting like this kid’s secretary? Why is it that they can’t just text him and they have to text me instead?”

“Because you have taken my spot, Doyoung,” you told him and he sighed. “Just text him. He’ll reply. Maybe he isn’t awake yet. It’s still early.”

“Alright. I’ll shoot him a call.”

You hung the phone up and proceeded to do your job when your phone vibrated and you saw that it was a text message from Jeno.

Jeno: I’m awake

You chuckled. It was normal for him to tell you everything and you sent him a sticker.

Jeno: I’m going to eat breakfast
Jeno: I’m going to eat bacon and eggs
You: Is that enough for breakfast?
Jeno: Jaemin went to visit his grandmother so no one is cooking
Jeno: I think I’m bored

Take it up to Jeno to think that he was bored. Sometimes, you wondered who was the crazy one. Jaemin or Jeno. The more time you spent with Jeno, you were pretty sure both of them rubbed off on each other. The other day, Jeno had run into the room and asked you to pop bubblegum as he recorded it. He sent it to Jaemin who replied with a “Beautiful!!!!!!! Thanks.”

“What was that about?” you asked Jeno who told you that Jaemin wanted the sound of a female popping bubblegum and you were the only female who he was with (obviously) so he had to ask for your help.

Jeno: let’s go for dinner
You: No
Jeno: my parents
You: Definitely not

Lee Jeno knew very well that you and your parents ended your ties badly. They hated how you couldn’t bring him back home. They thought that you didn’t try your best and spoiled him too much.

Jeno: but dy hyung will be there
You: then go with doyoung
Jeno: but I want you

Your heart skipped a beat and you decided to reply later, going back to typing a report you should have already one. Texts from Jeno came in through the day and at one point in time, you saw that his mood had changed drastically.

You: Are you okay?
Jeno: yeah

You didn’t have to ask to know that it was his parents who put him in a bad mood.

You: I’ll give you alone-time

Alone time. A system you and Jeno had made up since his first year if knowing you. When he found himself frustrated and when you found yourself annoyed, you’d tell each other that maybe it was best to have alone time. For Jeno, it would be fifteen minutes of him with his head under the pillow while you stayed in the bathroom to give him some privacy.

For you, it’d be just you reading a book for fifteen minutes so your stomach no longer felt like it was on fire every time he argued with you.

“I need alone time,” Jeno would tell you halfway through studying and you’d nod, standing up to walk away until it was time to come back. A system that worked. A system that allowed both of you to co-exist.

But this time, Jeno did not want alone time. Alone time was the last thing he wanted.

Jeno: alone time will make it worse

Moody, you thought to yourself. Jeno, on the other hand, was on the couch with text messages of his parents muted. He flickered his eyes over to the notifications he refused to open when his phone vibrated and he saw that it was you calling.

“Pumpkin,” you teased and he couldn’t help but chuckle lowly despite the foul mood he was in. “Here to grace you with my voice.”

“I miss more than your voice,” Jeno said, leaning against the couch. “I need you here with me.”

You, on the other hand, had your eyes widening at the way he sounded. His voice raspy and low and you would be lying if you were to say it wasn’t doing something to you body. You cleared your throat, your voice coming out a little bit choked as you asked him if he was okay.

“Jesus, woman. I’m telling you I need you here with me and you’re asking me if I’m okay?” He sighed. “Of course I’m not. I didn’t see your face today. What are you wearing?”

Weird. Weird because you knew that question was usually affiliated with an upcoming conversation that would lead to phone . But Jeno was genuinely curious, he was wondering if you were wearing your usual work suit blazer or if you decided to switch it up and was wearing that red coat he saw in the laundry the day before.

He imagined you in the red coat, tilting his head to the side with his eyes on the ceiling. What a pretty image. You were feeling hot, stuttering back that you had to go for a meeting, Jeno frowning when you hung up the phone.

The end of the day ended with both of you heading to his old home. You did not know why you agreed to it but after a lot of whining and pestering, you decided to go with Jeno. For moral support, you told him. Only moral support.

The dinner with Jeno’s parents and Doyoung (who was now the buffer for the both of you) was something you refused to live through. He kept telling Jeno that he took another scolding from his parents and you simply sat beside Jeno, silent as they proceeded to ask him if he was done being “paid to party”.

“You should stay in Korea, Jeno. Why are you staying only for two months?” his mother said, refusing to look at you. “When are you going to get married? You can’t play forever.”

This irked Jeno, the male playing with the food on this table. If it wasn’t for you telling him to give his parents a chance, he’d cut them out of his life.

“I’m not playing, Mother. I’m working,” he told her and she scoffed before looking at you.

“And you. Why are you a celebrity lawyer? Why aren’t you working in defense? Such wasted potential.”

You wanted to tell her that you earned just as much. That private institutes pay you just as much—if not, more. They said that they read the articles. That Jeno was always seen in parties with his pink-haired friend that they thought was no good for their son.

“He’s my friend, Mother.”

“You need to get married, Jeno. What about all the money we have invested in other small businesses? You need to have a child. You’re twenty-five and you can’t keep drinking—”

“My job is not to drink.”

“Well, your job isn’t very professional, is it?”

Jeno wanted to stand up and just leave but it was your hand that laid on his thigh, giving it a little squeeze that kept him sane. Doyoung cleared his throat, trying to stir the conversation away from Jeno’s career but it did not work.

“Besides, don’t you think it’s time to have a baby?” they asked him and Jeno let out a grumble.

“Fine. You want me to get married?” he snapped, turning to you. “Let’s get married.”

“Sure,” you answered, deadpan. “Let’s go. Right now.”

“Great. I’ll marry her.” He paused.

“Sounds like a plan,” you continued. “I’ll just get pregnant.”

Doyoung caught up with both of you, the male nodding. “What a great idea. Let me book an appointment with my wife.”

“I forgot your wife was a gynecologist,” Jeno said to Doyoung, the male pretending to press down on his phone. Jeno turned to you. “She can help you with the babies.”

“I trust her. I heard pushing babies out is hard,” you answered. Jeno’s parents looked shocked at the conversation taking place. “How many kids?”

“As many as you want. Thirteen?”

“That’s a football team,” Doyoung stated. “But my wife is amazing. She can handle it.”

“That’s it then. Let’s go?” Jeno asked, standing up and offering you his hand. “Sorry, mother and father. I need to go get married and reproduce. You know, since it’s the only thing you want from me.”

“And I shall bear his babies,” you added, Jeno wrapping an arm around your waist to lead you away from the table. Doyoung could be heard excusing himself, all three of you exiting Jeno’s house when Doyoung let out an audible sigh.

“That was tiring. I hate your parents,” he told Jeno, the younger male laughing. Both of them high-fived and Doyoung smiled, reaching out to give you a hug. “I would be lying if I said I didn’t expect you and Jeno to end up this way.”

He whispers went unheard by Jeno and you wanted to protest but Doyoung had already pulled away and bid both of you goodbye. You found yourself walking by Jeno, the male unlocking his car.

“You’re staying for two months,” you said this as a statement and Jeno peeked a look at you. He wondered if it bothered you that he wouldn’t be staying for long. He laid his hand on the steering wheel, thinking of what to say next. He didn’t want to destroy all of the efforts he had put into trying to woo you over the fact that he wouldn’t be around all the time.

“Chicago has a lot of law firms,” he told you and you blinked before asking him if there was a reason why he was saying that. “Especially for A-List celebrities.”

“I don’t think this will work out, Jeno.”

“Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt? You’d be surprised how many court cases they go through,” he continued, refusing to acknowledge what you said. “It’s the kids. I need a lawyer, too.”

“I’m not going to law for you.”

“You can do your lawyering in Chicago,” he said it like it was the easiest thing in the world but you were already thinking of the many things that could happen. He panicked. “Or I can move back to Korea. I can just produce music here and fly back and forth.”

“I don’t want you to move back here.”

“If it’s for you, I would.” Jeno gripped the steering wheel. “Have you ever heard of planes?”

You didn’t say anything, frowning to yourself. Jeno wanted to ask you what was so hard about being with him. What was it that was stopping you?

“You know, it doesn’t matter where I am,” he told you. “I’d still tell you I love you every day. I’ll still call you every day. We’re both old enough to handle a long-distance relationship.”

You nodded.

Jeno whipped his head to look at you. Did you just nod?

“Yeah. I get it. Okay.” You were tired of fighting what you were feeling. It was hard but you were past feeling like he wasn’t the one for you because you knew he was. He was your first thought in the morning and your last one at night. Each and every love song you heard made you think of Jeno. He was every cheesy pick-up line you had ever written on your Tumblr page when you were fifteen and you were ready to just give yourself to him.

He tilted his head at you, a hand going bring your face to look at him as he searched your eyes. Did you just say okay? Did that mean you both were now dating? Together-together and not just the type of together that meant you both were friends but something more?

“If you break my heart, Lee Jeno—”

“Impossible. You’d break mine,” he breathed, feeling his breath hitch up. “You’d be the one leaving me in the dust after every fight and you’d be the one making me feel like I can’t live without you. You have me in the palm of your hand and you know that.”

You knew that, he knew that.

“And even if you rip my heart out of my chest, I’d thank you because it’s you,” he continued. “Even you leave, I’d still be standing where you left me and I wouldn’t go anywhere in hopes you’d come back.”

“Jeno.” His name rolled off your tongue. To him, you saying his name this way was like a prayer.

Your lips were a masterpiece because he had forgotten what they tasted like or how it ended up with you pressed against the car window. He didn’t want it any other way even if that stupid gear was between the both of you, Jeno tugging on your body to feel it against him. Your kiss bled emotions until it turned passionate.

Hot and heated, both of your panting in each other’s arms when you stopped him, a hand trying to stop him from devouring your being.

“Jeno—Not here,” you told him and Jeno grunted against your neck, his hand having already undone the seatbelt so he could lean closer. You stopped him, a hand pressed against his lips when you told him that inside a car wasn’t an ideal place.

“O…kay,” Jeno said, hastily starting the car. “The nearest love motel?”

“Jeno!” you said to him, missing the boyish smile that took over his features. “Just drive.”

“Ugh,” he grumbled. “The things you do to me, woman.”

“Put on your seatbelt!” you managed to tell him, Jeno driving as fast as he could as you yelped at the speed. Your place was where you ended up in but it wasn’t like it was in the car.

Jeno was tentative. He was awkward now and you found yourself blushing harder. Maybe the car was better, you thought, Jeno scratching the back of his head when you called him from the bedroom. He showed up and you smiled, hands in the air to ask for a hug.

Hugging you was different this time because both of you knew what it would lead to, Jeno’s fingers slipping underneath your clothes to feel your skin. He smiled against your lips, Lee Jeno knowing where to touch despite it being the first time—you writhed with his fingers deep inside you, preparing for what was to come.

And come, you did.

Looking back, if someone would tell you that Lee Jeno would be able to make you come undone the way he did with him deep inside you, you’d laugh and tell them that it was impossible.

But now, the damage had been done and you were going to be his one and only casualty for the rest of his life. His lips left your skin marked as his and even as both of you were left milked of energy, Jeno’s padded fingers ran over your back as your eyes drooped from exhaustion.

He was over the moon with you tucked under his arm, not wanting to let you go. That night, he spent it thinking back of the memories when you still weren’t his, Jeno wondering how he would have lived if you never would have shown up to tutor him.

He showered your face with kisses, unable to hold back. You had once brought your hand up to his face to tell him to stop, Jeno chuckling as the rumble of his chest made you rub your face against his skin to feel the vibration.

He was more yours than you were his but Jeno was okay with that.

Because in the end, you weren’t someone else’s and it was him you were in love with.

That was all Jeno wanted.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It has been a week and you knew that Jaemin was back from his little vacation with his grandmother and that Jeno was finally picking up on work that he needed to complete. Something about Clarah, a Japanese idol who just arrived in Korea so both of them could produce an album together. You knew she was Jeno’s age. You also knew she was pretty.

You weren’t worried.

Until Jay showed up.

“Come down!” Jay demanded. “I know you’re free, Ms. Lawyer. Don’t you dare lie to me!”

You made your way downstairs, ready to handle a boisterous Jay who was holding a bunch of flowers.

“Let’s go for coffee,” he told you, grabbing your arm and pulling you to the café that was underneath your building. “Buying you one caramel macchiato because you made me into a free man.”

“You should be done thanking me by now.”

“Why? SM was a monster, Ms. Lawyer. You slayed it. You and you alone,” he chirped and you sighed, massaging your neck. “I made friends with the cashier, by the way. Felt amazing. But she’s got the crazy eyes.”

Jay stopped, smiling at you. “It’s always the crazy ones that are pretty. You are not crazy, so you are not pretty.”

“Alright, what do you need me for?” you snapped, knowing he had an ulterior motive for popping up suddenly. He looked offended that you asked him that but you weren’t going to fall for it. “Jay.”

“Go to court with me,” he said suddenly and you checked your watch. You had another meeting coming up and you would be done for the day, your phone vibrating. “You know my manager that dipped? Yeah, I’m facing a lot of because of him.”

“Ahuh? What did you do?”

“Not me. Him,” Jay corrected. “I have like a bunch of parking tickets because of him. I mean, he parked my car in front of a hospital entrance, and now they want to lock me up. I don’t want to get locked up. I’m a free man!”

“Jeez, Jay. I know you are. And I am a busy woman. Find someone else,” you say, looking down at your phone.

Jeno: what is the difference between a zucchini and a cucumber?
You: ….

Not at you expecting a loving message from the boyfriend but instead getting a weird question.

Jeno: Why do you not love me
You: I do
Jeno: ok

“I know that look. That look is the look women have when they get an unfulfilling message from their lover,” Jay said suddenly and you wondered how he got it so specifically right. “Who is it?”

“No one.”

“How’s the kid?”

“Which kid?”

“Jeno. The kid.”

“He’s not a kid.”

Your answer made Jay throw his head back, the male laughing.

“Good gracious, woman.” He smirked. “You and him did the nasty!”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter