Butterfly Lovers 🦋🦋

Serendipity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 19 – Butterfly Lovers

[지나가는 계절 속에 내 마음은

변하지 않는단 걸 아나요

그저 바라보는 눈빛 그 하나로

세상을 다 가진 것 같은데

The day when the flower blooms,

In the passing seasons inside my heart,

Do you know that you never change in my heart?

With one look of your eyes, I think I have the whole world.]

“He is almost here!”

One of the soldier exclaims loudly as everyone at the camp quickly straighten themselves to greet the approaching carriage. She sees the Crown Prince quickly stepping out of his tent, followed by a very troubled Minjeong. Ah, he must have told her.

She notices the tension between the siblings but pays no mind. The truth will have to come out anyway, it was better for her to know it now then later. She sees him looking at her, giving her a small smile before walking towards her. She looks away.

How can he be smiling when they have a very angry guest visiting their campsite? This man does not know how to read the situation sometimes, she thinks.

“Cheer up, Captain. You did your best.”

“Sure, easy for you to say. You’re not the Captain.”

She says with a glare directed at him. He merely shrugs and comforts her, yet again.

“Remember, it wasn’t your fault. No one expected that. Not even Heejin.”

She ignores him and quickly steps to the front to greet the unexpected guest. The horses came to a halt and Minister Jeon steps out of his carriage almost immediately, his eyes focused on the petite captain in front of him and then the tall royalty next to her.

He shakes his head, looking extremely displeased and it made everyone tensed, except Minjeong of course who was understandably still in a daze.

“Lord Jeon, we are deeply sorry about this situation. I am Captain Ning and I take full responsibility over what happened.”

“Captain, where is my child?”

“Resting, my Lord, let me take you there.”

Once they reached the tent, Captain Ning left the two to their own devices and notices the younger royalty sitting alone in front of the fireplace, her eyes staring blankly at the burning fire. It must be hard to take in, she thinks.

First, finding out that there was a whole rebellion existing for the sole purpose of restoring her mother’s reputation. Next, finding out that her mother had a female lover and that said lover passed away soon after her mother’s demise, leaving behind her very young daughter behind. And of course, finding out that the said daughter was the girl she liked. The girl she even disguised as a man for.

Yizhou must have stared for a long time because the royalty notices and merely acknowledges her briefly before walking into her tent.

She thinks of whether to follow the royalty and ultimately decides to. The royalty notices her and realizes the anxious expression on her face and naturally invites her inside her tent. Yizhou bows and enters quickly, settling herself on the chair comfortably.

The Princess didn’t say anything for a while, merely sitting down across her with a blank expression. As ironic as it seems, Yizhou braces herself to say her next following words.

“Your Highness, none of it was anyone’s fault.”

The royalty still did not say anything. Yizhou thinks of how at this very moment, the royalty reminded her of the late Queen, from their features to their posture, and of course, their signature frown when they are about to say something they have finally decided on.

“I need to come clean, Captain.”

“About?”

“Jimin knows about me being a woman but she has yet to know the full truth of my identity.”

“You mean she doesn’t know that you’re a Princess?”

“No, I was interrupted and…I’ve decided.”

Yizhou didn’t ask what, she knew the Princess was going to say what she feared most.

“I’ve decided not to tell her. Jimin doesn’t have to know that her mother passed away because of mine. This must be some ill-fated fate. She deserves someone better.”

The royalty says with a bitter tone, fighting the tears welling up in her eyes. Yizhou lets out a sigh before speaking.

“Your Highness, back then, the late Queen didn’t have a choice.”

She emphasized the last word sternly as the royalty looked at her with a frown evident on her face.

“But you do.”

“Won’t she hate me?”

The royalty reasons, blinking once, letting a lone tear fall onto her lap.

“The Queen and Lady Hwang loved each other dearly. I think it would have made them happy knowing their daughters could have what they couldn’t.”

She reminds before standing up to leave the tent but pauses just as she reaches the entrance.

“They are happy now, Your Highness. Please know that.”

The royalty didn’t say anything, seemingly unconvinced by her words. Yizhou didn’t want to say more, so she opens the entrance only to see a pair of butterflies floating in front of her.

She widens her eyes in glee.

“Your Highness.”

The royalty merely looks at her with little interest, and Yizhou quickly points to the pair of butterflies in front of them with a warm smile.

“You see, the butterfly lovers have reunited.”

∞∞∞

There was silence between them for the longest time.

Heejin didn’t expect this.

She expected maybe her mother, her sisters or even Jiwoo to visit her but definitely not her father. They weren’t very close and other than business matters, they did not exactly talked much. So she waits in silence, not knowing how to even start a conversation.

Because she really, really did not expect this, nor did she expect him to say the next following words rather nonchalantly.

“So I’ve heard about you and Jiwoo.”

“Jiwoo? Wait, how did you….”

“You have plans to marry her, don’t you?”

“Yes, father.”

“Well, given your situation, that difficult man, I mean Minister Kim expects a decent dowry for her.”

Her father says with a sigh. Heejin panics for a moment. She sits up instinctively and flinches from the sting in her wound.

“Wait, he knows?”

“Yes, we met recently to discuss potential wedding arrangements. Thankfully, that man, despite being so difficult, he was able to accept it, but on one condition.”

Her father says sternly and Heejin merely nods, still processing the fact that Jiwoo’s father knows about her disguise and also wondering what his request would be.

“You need to quit this rebellion.”

“But Father…”

“Look at yourself, child. You can’t even take care of yourself. How do you expect Minister Kim to believe you can take care of his only daughter?”

“Father, I am fine. This is just a small injury.”

“If you want his or even my blessings, you need to stop being so reckless. Quit the rebellion. I will provide my men.”

“Father, I am fin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter