Desert Fox 🦊

Serendipity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 7 – Desert Fox

Jimin stares at her canvas briefly and lets out a soft sigh.

She was so sure that she had gathered all of the books she needed for her research but she has somehow managed to miss one out. The most important one as well. She quickly stands up and checks for the location of the book at the directory and makes her way to the aisle in question.

She hears footsteps approaching from the entrance but makes no effort to see who it was, because whoever it was, must be bored out of their wits to be coming to the library at 6 o’clock in the morning just to read. She had deliberately chosen this specific timing to be alone, just so that she can be absolutely focused in finishing her research. However, curiosity got the better of her and she takes a quick glance at the entrance. Seeing no one there, she figures she must had heard wrongly.

Or so she thought.

She finds the book she needed and reaches for it with her tiny fingers only to find that the book was placed quite deep inside. She tiptoes and tries to reach for it again only to see the dusty old bookshelf all shaky and at the verge of falling apart. In any case, she needed that book so she tries again. However, she must have been too rough with her attempt as the bookshelf suddenly came falling apart. Jimin braces for impact and closes her eyes, expecting the bookshelf to come crashing onto her but it never did.

Confused but relieved, she opens her eyes and sees the said bookshelf being thrown aside and that particular junior standing beside her with a relieved look.

β€œThat was close.”

β€œThank you.”

Jimin replied instantly as the junior dusts his hands off effortlessly. She notices how the bookshelf lay beside them on the ground, all shattered into pieces, and she thinks that it was a relief the junior had saved her.

β€œThank you for saving me.”

β€œYou’re welcome, sunbae. I’m Jeongmin by the way.”

As if she didn’t know his name already.

β€œI’m Jimin.”

β€œHere’s your book, Jimin sunbae.”

She sees Jeongmin passing her the book politely and for a moment she almost forgets its purpose. But wait, when did he take it? How is he this fast? Okay, maybe she should be grateful and not ask someone who just saved her some silly questions.

β€œOh yes, thanks again.”

She takes the book from him and gives him a small smile, to show her appreciation. Almost instantly, the junior smiles back and though the sun has yet to rise, Jimin realizes that his smile seems to have brightened up the whole library.

β€œSunbae, by any chance, do you need help on your research?”

She hears him ask as he points to the pile of books on the table not too far from them. Jimin wants to say no, not wanting to trouble him any further but from the look of his eyes, he seems insistent.

β€œI am free today and I happen to be good at research. If you’ll let me help you, I think we can finish this by today.”

By today? He has got to be kidding. Jimin lets out a chuckle and sees the boy’s determined eyebrows raised.

β€œI know you are doubting me but let me prove it to you.”

Now, Jimin is never the type to let a total stranger to talk to her or even help her with her research but then again, he did save her from that bookshelf and he did get the book she absolutely needed. It would also be great to finish the research by today so really, what reason does she have to turn him down?

Not to mention, something was bugging her about the boy. Something inside of her was itching to know why his face seemed incredibly familiar and perhaps, she just wanted more time to stare at his face to figure out where has she seen him before. With a face like that, how can Jimin not recall anything?

As soon as Jimin agrees to the proposition, they settled at the table and begin the research almost immediately. After a brief explanation of what the research is about, the boy went straight to work.

She steals a glance every now and then at the boy and scrutinizes his face, taking in his soft eyes and high nose. Before she realizes it, her kiss with the Princess replays in her mind. Jimin looks away and rubs her temple, telling herself to stop reminiscing over the past. It was just one peck, for crying out loud, Jimin. The Princess probably doesn’t even remember it anymore.

She takes a deep breath and focuses on the book in front of her, not realizing the boy’s subtle smile at her.

∞∞∞

It was only 3 o’clock in the afternoon when they finish the last of the research findings on the canvas. She looks at the expectant boy and nods her head in approval.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter