The plan

For you, I would

“Princess Byulyi! Lady Yongsun!”

Hyejin was frantically knocking on the cabin’s wooden door the next morning, earlier than the other two would have expected.

Stepping out in their white night robes, the princess and Yongsun were confused to why Hyejin was half screaming at them.

“A messenger of the palace just arrived to inform that the king of Silla might be leading his army into Chuseon within the next few weeks and to bring the both of you to the palace immediately!” Hyejin blurted out to a confused Byulyi and Yongsun.

Well they certainly were not expecting this.

“Alright Hyejin, please get the other maids ready. We will leave in less than an hour.” Byulyi replied authoritatively.

Hyejin bowed as she hurried back to get everyone ready for their unexpected and early departure.

“Now what do we do?” Yongsun looked sideways at Byulyi, hoping for reassurance.

“For now we will have to postpone our plans” the princess did not appear disheartened, but stood strong with confidence despite the tragedy that would fall upon the kingdom.

“The wedding might be put back since the kingdom would be on high alert from now on. I will take care of you, don’t you ever worry about it” Byulyi smiled lightly and held Yongsun’s hand firmly in hers and was glad to have made a smile appear on the other’s face.

“Let’s go now Byul-ah”

With that the two went back inside to prepare for their departure, worried about the uncertainty that clouded over them.

The journey back to the castle was on foot as the gamas had been sent back to the palace according to Byulyi’s orders. Part of why she wanted the gamas gone was to study the surroundings of the lake, determine the weather conditions and search for nooks and crannies that would help them in their escape plan.

Yongsun too was soaking in their surroundings, hoping it would be helpful to the princess and the two younger girls if she could memorize some details. She wished she could hold on to Byulyi during their journey to the palace, but any form of touch between each other would be noticed by the others and would cause suspicion. Their hands would often brush as the two walked beside each other in a close huddle, making it impossible to resist the temptation to hold hands.

The weather was quite gloomy, storm clouds forming over the horizon and the wind picking up with each minute they walked towards the palace. Trees stood mighty and tall, birds seemed to be frolicking among the canopies of the tallest ones. Waves formed on the lake, some breaking on the shore and others never making it that far. Only one boat was seen far away from where they were, probably a village fisherman who thought of tring his luck before the rain poured down.

The small path going astray from the shoreline meant that the palace was close by. Soldiers walked through first, leading the party into the road specifically designed for the travels of anyone heading away from the palace. They arrived at the palace a few minutes after entering the road. Walking through the rear gate of the palace felt different today as Byulyi observed guards standing and examining all those who entered the premises.

Byulyi’s and Yongsun’s party was hurriedly led to the main hall which was accompanied by the king, queens and Jin-hee. Hyejin, the maids and soldiers were excused and were to leave the main hall to freshen up.

“Byulyi, Yongsun” The king looked at both the women as he continued what he started, “As you may have heard, the kingdom of Silla is on its way to invade our territory. The palace has been placed on high alert, guards have been placed at almost every corner and the army general has his soldiers ready for battle” He looked at Byulyi as he said this. The princess was fuming of course, even though she decided not to show it outwardly.

The coward ruined Silla and obviously they would be back for revenge.

“The both of you are to live together in one building since Byulyi knows her way around the palace and lives closer to the main bulidings. Your room has been arranged next to the princess’ one” Byulyi’s father looked proudly at Yongsun and she bowed down.

“Of course my Lord, thank you!”

Despite all the tragedy that was to come, Yongsun was grateful to have to endure them by Byulyi’s side. The princess too thought of this idea as one of the best that the king had come up with and almost reached out to squeeze her lover’s hand before thinking better of it.

“Father, may I let them know about the wedding?” Jin-hee looked at his father, asking for permission.

“Yes indeed Jin-hee, let them know about the plans that were changed”

“Kim Yongsun, since an attack is on the way and my father is growing weaker by the day, we have decided that I should take over as king sooner than we thought”

Neither Byulyi nor Yongsun ever thought he would start the sentence in this manner…

Their moment of silently shared happiness would be shattered in a second; they both could sense it coming.  

“Therefore, the king and the royal council has agreed to have the wedding in two days from today, giving the palace enough time to prepare for the battle against Silla”

Yongsun’s breath hitched. Byulyi was devastated. It had only been a day since she actually had the chance to let Yongsun know about her feelings towards the other girl.

“But father wouldn’t it be dangerous for the kingdom?”

“Don’t worry Byulyi, the soldiers will be placed on high alert and would always be ready to fight! I didn’t expect this kind of attitude from you Byulyi? I thought you were a fighter? What happened to all the confidence and courage you had?” The king sounded disappointed.

Oh Byulyi had enough courage and confidence. It was that they were directed to a totally different task than to what her father was expecting.

They were excused and were led out to Byulyi’s building in which they were supposed to spend their days. With the wedding approaching however, Yongsun had much to do and both expected that she would be called away most of the time, giving them hardly enough time to spend with each other.

“Byul-ah?” Yongsun looked at the princess with sad eyes. The younger girl grew sadder by the second but looked right up when she heard her name being called.

“Ah unnie, don’t worry I’m okay” She leaned closer to take Yongsun into her arms, wrapping her in the warmth of her robes. She lightly her hair and kissed her forehead as  Yongsun snuggled closer to her chest.

“Byulyi unnie?” She could her Wheein calling for her.

They immediately flew apart, Byulyi rushing to open the door.

“Wheein? What are you doing here?”

“Oh hey! Yongsun unnie is also here that’s good!” the younger let out that bright cheery smile of hers.

“Yes Wheein-ah I’m supposed to live in the next room now” she rolled her eyes.

“Oh then why are you in Byulyi unnie’s room?” Wheein asked, almost resembling a small child.

“Uhm that-“

Byulyi started laughing and Wheein might have understood at that moment about what the two were up to.

“Anyway Byulyi unnie, Yongsun unnie, I have made sure that the boat will be ours to escape! I already have it docked in a non-suspicious place!” She sounded thrilled and proud of what she had done. Byulyi and Yongsun beamed and almost gasped out loud at this feat Wheein had achieved.

“Wheein-ah!! You got it done already??” Byulyi was overjoyed. They actually could make the escape plan work now that their most essential element had been secured.

“Yes unnie, while the three of you were on vacation I was busy running around trying to escape!” Wheein replied proudly.

“Oh and Hyejin met me earlier so she knows as well”

“That’s great Wheein I can’t thank you enough!” Yongsun replied. Wheein playfully nodded her head and let out a smile.

“The only thing left for us to do is perfect the plan so we can escape in two days” a knock on the door interrupted Byul and all three of them froze, wide eyed and horrified, thinking someone else could have been eavesdropping.

“Who is it?”

“Byulyi unnie, it’s me Hyejin!” They all breathed a sigh of relief in unison, glad that it was their youngest friend who had almost caused them all al heart attack.

“Come in quick!”

Hyejin rushed inside, looked at the small gathering and said, “Ah none of you guys invited me!”

“Sorry Hyejin-ah there was nothing much happening, Wheein just told us about the boat!”

“Oh I know that already! So what’s the plan?” Hyejin took a seat next to Wheein and listened attentively to Byulyi.

“Okay now, Wheein, Hyejin and I will prepare for our escape. Wheein you collect supplies for the boat and any herbs, medicine or first aid we would need. Hyejin since you are familiar with the kitchen, you will be collecting food for us. Make sure that the food would last a couple of days before going bad. I will collect some weapons and extra robes for all of you” Everyone nodded and agreed to complete their tasks by the day before the wedding, the day after tomorrow.

“Byulyi, what am I supposed to do?” Yongsun asked curiously, confused as to why the princess left her out in their plan.

“I will get your things ready since you’d be busy with preparing for the wedding. Act casual always, until I give you the signal at the wedding as I promised. That would be after Hyejin starts the distraction, which I’m sure everyone will notice” she perked up an eyebrow at Hyejin.

“Yes they will” Hyejin smirked.

“Everyone’s all good then?” Byulyi asked.

“Unnie, about the tunnel?” Wheein asked, tired after having to give the guard details about why she was going out of the palace gates.

“Oh yes, behind the library. I will take Yong and the both of you already know where it is. Go before us after setting up the distraction. The End of the tunnel leads to a cave as Wheein must have noticed?”

“Yes unnie, the boat is docked a few feet away from the tunnel, under some tall creepers”

“Alright then” Byuyi was satisfied.

“We’ll go now” Wheein and Hyejin left, leaving the two alone.

“You know I love you right?” Yongsun asked Byulyi in a soft voice.

“You do?” Byul joked and took Yongsun into her arms, kissing her again and again.

“You called me Yong before. That’s new?” Yongsun asked sitting on Byulyi’s thighs, looking down at her small face.

“Yes, Yong. I did” Byulyi looked into her eyes as she replied.

“I love you”

“I love you too”