Carefree

For you, I would

The sun's rays poured into the old library where Byulyi was seated, reading ancient texts which made no sense to her in the slightest.

Being the princess born of the king's second wife meant that Byulyi was not as busy as the other royals in the kingom of Chuseon. She was not much of a normal princess either.

Never did she conform to what was considered normal. From a younger age she had spent more time practicing with soldiers and roaming around and even outside the palace gates at times.

She was not ever present in a fancy and elegant royal attire. All she sported were robes and garments slightly more cheery than those of palace guards and generals. Her parents the king and queen never cared for her as she wasn't as important as the crown prince.

No she would never be as important as Jin-hee.

Byul was almost nearing the end of her book as she heard a commotion outside the usually desserted hallway leading to the library. It was the queen and Jin-hee, talking about how the officials had sent an invitation to the suitor who was chosen as the bride for the future king. Whether the prince sounded nervous or excited, Byulyi couldn't tell. 

After the queen had left leaving the prince behind, Byul decided to inquire about his marriage. She was his step-sister and asking about the marriage did not seem like it would do any harm.

"Jin-hee, I heard you were getting married?" asked the princess, surprising the elder boy for a second.

"Yes Byulyi, unlike you I have a kingdom to rule and therefore must marry so that I may be crowned king" replied the prince and Byul immediately regretted asking him because she had always disliked how Jin-hee only wanted the power and not anything to do with the poor girl who would have to be married to him.

"You seem quite unhappy with the affair brother?" She continued.

"I don't see why I should explain myself to you, I'm sure you have many other things to worry about" replied Jin-hee and left Byul standing alone at the entrance of the library.

Byulyi was never angered about the royal family not paying her much attention. She has always wanted to run away because they had always made her feel like she was less than. The only reason she was here was to be married off to a man in a few years so that she can accompany him in his rise to power. The lone princess walked around the garden everyday, not that she enjoyed it...but because she had nothing else to do.

As Byulyi walked around the garden gazing at the streaks of light falling on to the trees and dancing on walls after being reflected by the koi infested palace ponds, she saw two girls sitting under a tree. Instantly she knew who they were. They were the only friends she had here despite being a princess.

"Wheein! Hyejin! What are you two doing here at this hour?" Byulyi asked, almost screaming just to scare the two younger ones.

"Byulyi unnie you scared us!" 

"No unnie, you only scared Hyejin...I wasn't scared at all" Wheein said before Hyejin could go on and on about how Byul shouldn't have half screamed at them.

"I'm sorry Hyejinnie! and Wheein very brave of you for being an emotionless lump of human" replied Byul with a bright grin on her face.

"Anyway unnie, we were sitting her because we're free for the rest of the day. Did you hear that Prince Jin-hee's wife would be here in a few days?" Wheein asked with a curious look on her face.

"Yes, Wheein-ah I was just talking to Jin-hee a while before. Well we only said a few words but I overheard that the girl had been sent an invitation after being approved by the queen and other officials. The prince doesn't seem to be very happy about it, he has always only wanted the power and I feel sorry for the poor girl who will have to spend the rest of her days with him" Byulyi poured out without Wheein having to ask multiple questions to see the bigger picture.

"Unnie", Hyejin asked. "Why are you so tense about it?"

"I'm not tense. I just feel bad for whoever has to endure living with my brother for the rest of their life" 

"Alright unnie, if you say so" replied Wheein without asking her anything more.

"I will meet the both of you later, I'm heading to practice more with the swords brought as part of the new weapons for the army." With a wave to the younger girls Byulyi headed to the training grounds on the opposite side of the palace gardens.

The three girls had been friends ever since Wheein and Hyejin had joined as maids to serve the royal family of Chuseon. Even though Byulyi was a princess, she asked the girls to converse with her informally. They were both very young and terrified at addressing the princess as 'unnie' but the kind hearted Byul reassured them that no one would ever know.


Miles away from the palace of the Chuseon royal family, Kim Yongsun the daughter of a noble man was eagerly awaiting for a reply from the royal palace. Her parents had been sure that she would be a great match for the prince. She was constantly reassured by her parents that she will be chosen, but little did they know that their daughter was not excited even in the slightest about having to be queen one day.

Yongsun never went against her parents.

She wished she did. More than she would like to admit.

Yongsun was tired of doing everything solely for the good of the clan. With a guaranteed escape from her hometown if she was chosen as the princess, she swore to herself that she would do all it takes to live the life she had always wanted.

The court around her is silenced as a messenger walks in.

A scroll bound with the seal of the King of Chuseom was given to her father and after he read it, a smile grew on the man's face

"We must prepare for her departure. Yongsun, you have been chosen as the Prince's bride"

One step closer to getting away from this life, she thought.

And they all drank as the celebrations lit up the night.