The first step

For you, I would

Choseon grew warmer day by day with the sun growing stronger as summer progressed. Faraway mountains were in full view with their details almost visible to the eye unlike in winter when the realm was covered in a thick mist.

The forever restless young princess strolled along the gardens in a dreamy state, admiring the beauty which she could luckily enjoy without being disturbed with anything or by anyone.

Taking a rest from training with the soldiers, Byulyi tried to make her way into her brother’s soon to be wife’s quarters. It wasn’t far away from where her building was located.

She could see maids running around the area, working away to assist the lady in getting to her lessons.  

Byulyi then saw the small girl Wheein walk towards her with her usually charming smile in full effect.

“Good morning princess Byulyi!” Wheein cheerfully exclaimed as she reached the older girl.

“Wheein-ah good morning! How is our guest doing? And how are you and Hyejin doing?” Byulyi asked politely.

“The both of us are doing well unnie, Hyejin was given the position of the lady’s head maid and has been busy ever since she got here last afternoon! I don’t even get to see her much” Sulked Wheein.

“Oh I see. It’s okay Wheein you can always visit me and talk about anything if you feel like it”

Wheein let out a bright grin once again.

“I will unnie. Hyejin says that lady Yongsun is easier to manage than anyone she has ever cared for! She is awfully polite and kind, much like you! Have you talked to her yet?” Inquired Wheein.

Staring off towards the building where the lady was now living in, Byulyi replied “Is that so? I haven’t spoken to her yet and I was on my way to see if she was free to talk to.”

“Oh Byulyi unnie she will be starting her lessons in a while now, I don’t think it’s the right time for a conversation” Wheein said without trying to dim the curiousness present on the princesses’ face.

“Perhaps I’ll wait for a better time. Thank you for letting me know”

“My pleasure unnie. I have a few things to take care of so I’ll take leave now.”

“Sure Wheein, take care!” and with a smile the younger girl was off in a breeze to complete her tasks for the day.

As Byulyi stood alone eyeing the building ahead of her, she glimpsed Yongsun walking down the steps and was awed at the sight of the beautiful woman. Surely she was not much older than her; maybe a year or two perhaps.

Without letting the other girl get distracted she turned around and continued to walk around a different corner of the palace’s garden.

Walking around the garden gave Byulyi plenty of time to organize her thoughts.

Quite often she would stare at the stars at night, or write a piece of poetry with the hope of one day trusting someone enough to let them read her work, or fantasize about taking someone to the secluded little spots outside the palace walls she would often visit alone during summer.

She had much to think about but no one to share her thoughts with.

Without any destination in mind, she roamed for hours and had reached the kitchens when she thought of turning back and visiting the palace’s pond. Byulyi asked one of the maids for some scraps which she could use to feed the fish and then set off.

The sunlight reflected off the water and danced on the walls, flashing lights at Byulyi’s eyes. She had to squint sometimes to see the koi fish even though the water was the clearest it could have been. Feeding the fish had been one of her past times at the palace since she was a child. It freed her thoughts and guaranteed her rest from the outside world. At this isolated spot on the palace gardens, it was just Byulyi and the fish. It was always like this, peaceful and quiet; until today.

“Byulyi what are you doing here?” asked Jin-hee. He was in a rush, heading somewhere or hurrying to meet someone as a part of his royal duties.

“I was just feeding the fish Jin-hee. You should better get going; you seem troubled,” replied Byulyi as calmly and politely as she could.

“No Byul I am not in much of a hurry, just trying to be at the venue before the meeting starts”

“What do you think about you bride, Jin hee?” Byul asked despite regretting it seconds later.

“She seems fine, kind and beautiful. Yongsun isn’t much in my eyes nor does she mean anything to me. It’s just that without her I wouldn’t be king and that would be a shame, so I’m willing to marry her anyway. She doesn’t know this of course, but I feel like she would understand the obvious as years go by” spat Jin-hee.

With a crooked smirk and a wave of his arms, he was gone, footsteps echoed in the hallway as he moved farther away.

Byulyi was agitated. She felt a burning hatred toward the prince. Yongsun would know only suffering if she does plan to go through with this marriage and Byulyi would not allow it.

No she would never allow her brother to marry the lady. She could not let him use Yongsun and hurt her only for his pleasure.

But who am I to stop this marriage?

She stormed away as the last crumbs of food left her hands and fell into the water to be greeted by the hungry infestation of koi fish. Thunder signaled that a storm is on its way to steal the magic of the warm summer’s day.

Byulyi convinced her maids that she would be alright and requested to stay away from her quarters for a little while. She even asked them to go and have some rest as a reward for all the help they have given her.

Then she full on dropped to where she slept, hurt by the words of her brother which were not even meant to sting in the way that it does.

Byulyi could not bring herself to understand why she felt so attached to Kim Yongsun.

She could not explain to herself why she felt such a strong urge to protect her. They had only merely shared a smile with each other, nothing else. Not even an exchange of words had happened within the day and a half in which the lady had resided at the palace.

As lightning struck and thunder roared, Byulyi refused to leave her bed and fell asleep with a storm raged mind.

After a maid had let Wheein know about the princess’ condition, she had immediately resolved to converse with the older girl the next day.

 


 

Byul mustered up all the strength she had to pull herself together as morning dawned. Before she could leave the building however, Wheein had arrived with her breakfast and had taken the princess by surprise.

“Wheein, why did you bring my breakfast today?” inquired moonbyul, feeling slightly bad for the younger girl who now sat opposite her.

“Someone told me you were feeling a bit unwell unnie, and I wanted to make you feel better somehow” replied Wheein without looking at Byulyi’s face.

“I’m sorry if you got worried. I’m quite okay now. Here eat a bit of this. You’ve been working very hard the past few days”

As Wheein looked up from the floor, she could see that Byulyi was offering to feed her some of her breakfast and she gladly took a bite. This was not unusual for them either and Byulyi did everything she could to keep the younger girls healthy and happy.

“Thank you unnie, you’re really one of the kindest royals I’ve ever met or have heard of” Wheein replied, making a sad little face to show how grateful she was.

“Ah Wheein-ah you don’t have to say that. I would always take care of you! It’s my curse!” laughed Byulyi and was greeted with a playful slap by Wheein.

Not far away from where Byulyi and Wheein were, Hyejin was preparing Yongsun for the new day of lessons, when the lady asked;

“Yesterday as I walked down the steps, I saw a girl dressed in casual robes much like a soldier’s. If I’m not mistaken, that had to be princess Byulyi isn’t it?”

“Indeed my lady, that must have been princess Byulyi. She isn’t your normal princess. She dresses in whatever she pleases and even takes lessons on fighting with swords!” Hyejin said, obviously hinting that she was impressed by her dear friend.

“Oh that is rare for a princess I assume. Do you know her well?” inquired Yongsun as she stared off into where she last saw Byulyi.

Years of memories flashed through Hyejin’s mind in an instant and a grin broke out as she answered the lady, “Yes of course, she is very kind and takes good care of us! So you could indeed say that I know her very well. Even too well at times”

“I’d like to get to know her as well sometime, if time permits. She does seem like a wonderful person” replied Yongsun as Hyejin lead her down the stairs and into the bright new day, tinged with only a few droplets of rain from the previous night’s thunder storm.

 


 

The three friends were back together again that evening, reunited once more to share among each other the happenings and the gossip collected from around the palace.

“Byulyi unnie, earlier today the lady Yongsun was talking about how she would love to meet you sometime!” Hyejin announced while taking a sip of tea brought into byulyi’s building by the younger girls, as always.

“Ah Hyejinnie, Byulyi was on the way to meet her yesterday!” Wheein chimed in.

“Oh if that is so I must meet her as soon as I can. She must be very busy these days since the wedding is almost around the corner!” Byulyi said with a questioning look at the younger ones.

“The lady is free tomorrow morning and I think that would be perfect if you wanted to get to know her” Hyejin said as she was in charge of knowing Yongsun’s schedules because of her position as the head maid.

“That would indeed be perfect Hyejin!” Byulyi said, feeling grateful for the information received.

All three of them took their time in sharing every little detail about the comings and goings of the palace, from the most important piece of news to the gossip as well.

To byulyi, the time spent with the girls was the only time she ever felt like she was home. Every memory she had collected with the girls at her side reminded her that even in this palace, she was never alone. The girls knew this too and were eternally grateful for the princess for always being there for them and saving them from getting in trouble due to their constant mischievous acts.

As Byulyi bid good night to her companions, she sat outside looking at the moon as she always did on clear nights.

‘Byul’ meant ‘star’

That had always meant so much to her, and staring at the moon surrounded by all those stars gave her a slightly euphoric feeling every time.

As the moon looked lonely on a starless night and the stars dimmer on a moonless night, staring at the moon had always made Byulyi feel complete. The moon was looking down almost embracing her and Byulyi was more than grateful to the moon for shedding light to the parts of her which she never unveiled to anyone else.

Before leaving to sleep, she decided on going to visit Yongsun the next morning. Maybe something good would come out in getting to know someone new.

She walked into her room and changed into comfortable robes and was soon fast asleep.

 


 

The next morning arrived sooner than Byulyi could comprehend, but having decided on visiting Yongsun she dressed up in a hurry to guarantee that she would have enough time to get to know the lady.

Byulyi rushed to her building dressed in some of her finest garments, purple robes with a bandana just to complete the outfit. As Byulyi walked up the steps she saw Yongsun in the garden, to her left. She was sitting on a bench, breathing in the smell of the environment around her. The maids stood scattered around her.

Byulyi turned back and paced to where Yongsun sat, looking away from her.

The princess was reluctant for a second and then called out to the girl sitting not too far away from where she stood;

“Kim Yongsun!”

The lady turned.

None of them would have ever expected what was to come.