あやふや (mirage)

混ざり合うもの • mazariaumono [NOW TAKING ONESHOT REQUESTS~!]

“Mai? Naachan?” Sayuri returns home to find the television blaring in the dark of the living room, a news anchor wrapping up the end of the 11 PM news, while Nanase and Mai are seated on the sofa, seemingly asleep.

She wonders if she should switch the lights on, but figures that it might wake them up. She reaches for the switches for the yellow lights by the hallway instead. 

Sayuri slowly approaches them with careful, light steps. Her eyes, alert, are kept on the two as she reaches for the remote control at the coffee table and switches the television off. They must’ve been catching the 10 PM drama series that Naachan’s been chasing, she wonders. The lights are dim, but she sees a soft expression on Nanase’s face as she sleeps in tranquillity with her head rested on Mai’s shoulder. Sayuri stifles a giggle at the adorable sight of her angelic sleeping state. Mai, also asleep, has her head leaning on Nanase’s, whilst her lips form a small frown. Her brow seems slightly furrowed, which amuses Sayuri, recognising that expression as a common one worn by Mai whenever she’s asleep. 

Ah, she talks to herself inwardly as she exhales and stands herself up from her squat, it’s nice for these two(いいなこの二人), she smiles. Cute. 

Sayuri recalls as she steps into the shower the past three months since Nanase had first come to stay with them. Mai has always been generous and kindhearted so the request for her younger friend from Osaka, who couldn’t yet find accommodation but had to start on her job here in Tokyo already, to move in with them temporarily was easily agreed to. Sayuri was worried, though, that it would bring about inconvenience for both Mai and Nanase. The apartment size was sufficient for the two of them when they had moved in together, just nice with two rooms for each of them, for Sayuri who is a hoarder. Nanase would have had to sleep in the living room, and she was completely fine with that, but Mai volunteered to give up half of her room— it was neat and had the capacity anyway. Nanase moving in had gone way beyond Sayuri’s expectations— both girls being soft-hearted and non-confrontational was worrying at first but it worked out miraculously and Sayuri could see when they started enjoying each other’s company. Temporary soon became permanent.

Nanase was her childhood friend, and despite being an airhead— Sayuri knows it herself, she’s used to people calling her ‘aho’— Sayuri was always protective over Nanase, first to rush to pat her head and give her hugs when she cries, which was never a rare occurrence. Sayuri had an older sister and Nanase an older brother. The two who were younger just happened to be stuck with each other most of the time when their siblings had ‘grown too old to play with them’. Nonetheless, Sayuri loved Nanase, and the latter remains a precious existence to her. Mai on the other hand is her best friend since their university days, and they’ve stuck together since those years with barely any friction, as they both purely enjoy being together. No one knows, Sayuri thinks as she sinks herself into the hot water in the ofuro, the feelings she has harboured for Mai for years now.

Her lips curve into a smile, and she shakes her head while releasing a chuckle sounding somewhat sad. It wasn’t going anywhere anyway, with her feelings, Sayuri knows. Were there instances things could’ve seemed mutual? Sayuri remembers heart-fluttering moments with Mai, but wonders if any sign she caught could just have been her imagination. The memories are foggy after years though they still produce a pleasant fuzziness in her heart.

Conversely, Mai and Nanase had a connection almost instantly. Sayuri has witnessed a different side of Mai when she dotes on Nanase (though unsurprising for a carer of babies and young children like Mai), and the smiles Nanase wears warm her heart for she is happy for her. It has to be love between this two, Sayuri knows, even if they haven’t made any steps, for Sayuri delights each time she sees the two simply being happy when they are together. Sometimes she finds Nanase clinging onto Mai, her arms wrapped tightly around Mai’s waist; sometimes she finds Mai asking repeated questions of concern to shower the younger one with care. 

Sayuri steps out of the bathroom with a grateful smile on her lips concluding her thoughts. She runs a towel through her hair as she struts into the living room in her slippers. 

“Ah! Mai, you’re up,” she grins when she finds that the lights are up.

“Yeah,” Mai stretches and scratches her head, a sheepish smile spread across her lips. “I heard you in the shower and thought you must be back.”

“Tired day for you two I guess?” Sayuri chirps.

“I guess. And you too, how could they make you do overtime for so many days in a row?” Mai’s voice is slightly pointed. 

Sayuri chuckles in response, “Just till the product launch.”

Nanase stirs, startling the two. 

“Ah, Naachan,” Mai’s voice drops, now soft and gentle, as she sits again on the couch and places a hand on Nanase’s head. Sayuri can feel the beating of her heart in her chest as she watches Mai lovingly Nanase’s hair.

“Did I fall asleep for long?” Nanase mumbles as she tries to sit up. 

“Maybe you should go in and sleep,” Mai does not pull her adoring gaze away from Nanase.

“I guess I should,” Nanase rubs her eyes. “Sayurin! Okaeri,” she puts her hand out and waves whilst her eyes are half-open, an act adorable to both older women,  melting both their hearts.

Tadaima,” Sayuri wears her signature grin.

“Well, I guess we should all sleep,” Mai smiles.

“Let’s sleep,” Sayuri nods, “Oyasumi!”

Oyasumi!” Mai gleams, her round eyes turning into crescents.

Oyasumi,” Nanase nods and smiles as well before they retreat into their room while Sayuri sets her towel up to dry.

 

a/n: japanese title translates to 'ambiguous'

i really couldn't think a title up, it is what it is now because nigemizu is stuck in my head yes

i enjoyed writing this, it was somewhat sad but cute. i love sayurin and i do find sayumai adorable even if my heart remains loyal to nanamai. haha. ah, we've reached a time all 3 aren't part of nogi anymore ;-;;; sayurin's last days in nogi were pretty emotional for me, especially with her last episode in nogichuu. well it's been crazy with her grad, sayanee's birthday and yukirin's birthday+recovery hehe. 

anw oh well if anyone reads this i hope you enjoyed it, i really loved writing this, it's probably my favourite in this collection so far~ and it's 12.52am rn lol