君と一緒なら幸せ (because you are here)

混ざり合うもの • mazariaumono [NOW TAKING ONESHOT REQUESTS~!]

With everyone laughing over a joke Eunbi has no clue of its meaning, Eunbi feels her eyes turning hot. She fears she may burst into tears any moment, but wills herself not to. She remains seated quietly, putting her head down and swiping through nothing on her mobile phone.

“Eunbi unnie,” she hears Chaeyeon call her softly.

“Chaeyeon!” she exclaims, relief apparent in her voice. A lifesaver, she thinks.

“Do you need me to help you ask for anything? Since Kkura unnie is a little occupied right now,” Eunbi can hear the caution in Chaeyeon’s voice and is thankful for that. They both take a quick glance at Sakura who stands before everyone, dancing to a popular Japanese song with her kid brother, laughing with everyone, old and young.

“Hey! Are the two of you alright?” they jump, and turn to find Sakura’s goofy yet kind best friend behind them.

Eunbi barely catches “daijoubu”. 

“We’re okay! Thank you,” Chaeyeon replies in perfect Japanese while she remains silent.

“Her family is a lively one,” Anna comments.

Chaeyeon chuckles, “They sure are. It’s fun and warm, though, I guess.”

“Yes,” Anna gleams.

Eunbi drops her head once again. She feels a growing pain in her chest.

“Unnie, are you alright? Is something wrong?” 

“No!” Eunbi is startled to have worried the younger girl. “I’m okay,” she shakes her head. 

Chaeyeon discerns the troubles in the older girl’s mind now and decides that quietly staying beside her is her only option to help. She wordlessly places a comforting hand on Eunbi’s lap. Thankful yet again, Eunbi places a hand on Chayeon’s.

It takes a while for Eunbi to bring her head up again. She lays her eyes on Sakura who wears a wide beam on her face, who seems so happy Eunbi is so grateful to witness the love of her life in this state— enjoying a birthday party around so many people who loves her. Yet Eunbi feels so insufficient; she knew she would feel out of place, but Eunbi didn’t know that she didn’t have enough guts to withstand the pressure of the differences and enjoy wholeheartedly a celebration for the one she loves.

Sakura finally gets a break when her talkative grandmother steals the spotlight and entertains the family around. “Eunbi unnie! Chaeyeonnie!” she delightedly calls when she approaches the two.

“Kkura!” Chaeyeon is first to respond. 

“Oh, Kkura,” Eunbi tries to put on a smile, but Sakura knows immediately that it isn’t real. Sakura makes a mental note to really make up to Eunbi later on. 

“Thanks for coming,” Sakura says earnestly. She finds dry and her smile drops when she realises that she knows not anything else she should say to Eunbi besides apologies.

Eunbi shakes her head, “Of course we have to be here.”

Sakura tries to remain cheerful, knowing that Eunbi would hate it too if she ruins her own party. “I’m glad my family got to meet you. They like you, Eunbi unnie, I’m glad,” her statements are sincere.

Eunbi’s lips curve into a smile, now with less effort, as Sakura’s words warm her heart. “No, I’m really happy you have a family like that.”

“Sakutan! Time to cut the cake and take some photos!” a call disrupts their conversation. Standing up, Sakura pulls onto Eunbi and drags her to the front, much to the latter’s astonishment.

“Do it with me,” Sakura gleams. Eunbi finds that everyone is displaying similar supportive smiles, and is heartened. She smiles and holds onto the cake knife that Sakura holds out, and together, with all eyes in the room on the elaborately decorated cake before them, they press the knife into it.

Cheers fill the room and Eunbi finds herself laughing genuinely for the first time that night. 

Eunbi smiles for the first photo to be taken with the cut cake, before Sakura remains and people take their turns. 

Eunbi decides to help herself with some tea at a table by the side, when she finds someone approaching her.

“Annyeonghaseyo,” she hears a badly pronounced greeting, but the sincerity touches her heart.

“Ah, konbanwa,” she tries to return the courtesy.

“Sasshi,” the woman wears a warm smile as she puts her hand out.

“Ah! Eunbi,” she reciprocates the handshake. So this is Sasshi, Eunbi thinks, reminded of all the times Sakura has shared about the woman. Eunbi is then handed over a smartphone which displays on its screen a browser open with a translation website that reads in Korean, ‘My name is Sashihara Rino, I’m an older friend of Sakura, everyone calls me Sasshi’.

“Ah,” Eunbi types her reply into the text box. ‘I’m Eunbi. Nice to meet you. Sakura mentions you sometimes.’

Rino releases a surprised chuckle when she reads the message, before she begins typing away.

‘You know, Sakura has always been a kind and bright girl, but she used to always conceal her difficulties behind the facade, pretending to be alright and smiling with others. Until she met you, and I could see that she is genuinely happy being with you. Thank you for taking care of her, I am really happy for the both of you.’

Eunbi finds her eyes watery when she reaches the end of the translated text.

“A-Arigatou,” her voice trembles, as she tries to say.

Rino shakes her head as she retrieves the smartphone from Eunbi. 

“Sasshi! And Eunbi unnie?” Sakura arrives and seats herself down at the table beside the two. “Wait, but you don’t know Korean,” she says to Rino in Japanese, “and you couldn’t possibly have understood her right?” she turns to Eunbi with a puzzled look as she switches to Korean.

Eunbi turns to Rino, who turns likewise. When their eyes meet, they break into chuckles at once.

Sakura remains dumbfounded before the two. 

“Well, technology is an amazing thing,” Rino vaguely states.

“What did you tell her?” Sakura somehow begins to panic.

“What are you afraid of!” Rino gapes, “Why don’t you trust me,” she laughs.

Sakura sighs. “I trust you,” she says, “but you’re laughing like that...”

Rino chuckles again. “Please, just talk to her, let’s stop using Japanese before her.”

Sakura has gratitude in her eyes when she puts her hands in Rino’s. “Sasshi, you’re the best. Thank you,” she softly says.

Rino warmly smiles and shakes her head. “Now, I’ll leave the two of you alone,” she says and stands up.

Eunbi, who has been sitting silently in confusion, watches as the older woman walks away. “She’s really nice now that I finally know who she is,” Eunbi says immediately, “it’s really nice you’ve got an unnie like her.”

“Yeah,” Sakura nods, “I think I wouldn’t be anywhere without her in my younger days. What did she tell you?” Sakura remains harped on the matter.

Eunbi briefly chuckles, yet while recalling Rino’s words and the compassionate gesture, she feels a fuzziness in her chest. “Nothing,” Eunbi shakes her head. 

“Really?” Sakura narrows her eyes.

Eunbi laughs again, finding that tears are being squeezed from the corners of her eyes. “I’m really glad for you, Kkura, you’ve had such nice people around you all your life.”

“Thank you,” Sakura smiles, “but most importantly, I’m glad I met you.”

Eunbi wrinkles her nose. “Suddenly?”

Sakura chuckles. “Not suddenly. I know today was difficult for you. Thank you so much, for today, and for everything,” she looks into Eunbi’s eyes as she speaks.

Eunbi shakes her head. “I’m grateful for you too. Happy birthday, Kkura yah, I hope you had fun today.” The ruckus around them fills the room with noise, but Eunbi's gentle voice quietly reaches Sakura’s heart.

Sakura nods. “Thank you, Eunbi unnie. I did have fun.” Because everyone I love is here, and on top of that, because you are here. 

 

a/n: japanese title translates to 'i'm happy if i'm with you'

i wrote this hastily just now when the idea came so i do need to proofread this tomorrow since it's late rn and i've got to wake up for work ;-; i hope you enjoy this though, it got really fun to write towards the end! i just love the way sasshi cares for sakura :') i can go on and on about this two bc yall know how much i lOVE hkt48 so im stopping here. also i had to correct each time i typed sasshi into rino i'm so not used to calling her rino :') HAHAHA 

didn't expect myself to churn out yet another kkubi so soon! but as i said, i wrote this hastily and i have yet to proofread and make edits so i will do so! i know it's in the middle of nowhere and months away from kkura's bday but oh well :,) got the idea when i thought about how i have some friends who don't speak a language i commonly speak in and possible situations like this ah but no worries no troubles just that it led on to this plot idea pretty quickly :3 and feels so warm thinking about how kkura has has many people around her who loves and supports her <3 still no clue about where she will go from now and she still has so many activities related to hkt and izone's jline which i guess is a good thing? HAHA