The one with 'almost' (part 2)

Don't Waste Your Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mino was welcomed with the sound of lofi music playing in the background when he entered the club. He often went there just to have a drink alone, while listening to some local bands performing on the small stage in the corner of the place. Or, some customers who wanted to do karaoke (there was a karaoke machine beside the stage, so they welcomed anyone who wanted to sing when the stage was empty).

 

Mino picked a seat at the bar, ordered a drink, and looked around. Sometimes, he randomly met people he knew at this club, mostly his friends from the gallery, or people he knew from Jihoon, Seunghoon, and Jinwoo. But, not today, he thought. Not until he spotted Seungyoon, sitting alone at the other end of the bar. He rubbed his eyes, making sure he wasn’t just imagining things. But, it was really Seungyoon. He grabbed his drink and walked towards Seungyoon.

 

“Seungyoon?” Mino pat gently on Seungyoon's shoulder.

 

“Oh? Mino?” Seungyoon said after he turned around and saw Mino.

 

Mino laughed. “Didn’t expect to meet you here.” He said as he pulled the chair beside Seungyoon and sat down, leaning against the bar table.

 

Seungyoon chuckled as shrugged and shook his head, dumbfounded. “Me too! You’re everywhere.”

 

“I often come here.” Mino said. “Seunghoon doesn’t drink anymore, he’s strict with his health, and Jinwoo prefers to drink alone at home, so I come here with Jihoon sometimes, or just me. I wanted to ask you to come here, but yay, you already know this place.”

 

Seungyoon just laughed and drank his beer.

 

“What’s up? How was the meeting?” Mino asked.

 

Seungyoon smiled. “Oh, it was great! They agreed to exhibit ten of my photographs and were planning to add one more, so we’ll have a meeting again probably this Thursday.” He answered.

 

Mino noticed that the way Seungyoon told the story was odd. It was good news, but he didn’t sound like he was in a good mood. “That’s great... “ He paused before asking. “Hey, are you okay?”

 

Seungyoon didn’t answer right away. He took a sip of his beer again, and turned his head to face Mino. “I broke up with Bohyun.”

 

Mino was surprised. Somewhere deep inside his chest suddenly felt so warm, but the look in Seungyoon’s eyes made him sad. He suddenly remembered what Jinwoo said to him last night. He just needed to be by Seungyoon’s side.

 

Seungyoon told Mino what happened at the barbecue place and the reason why he and Bohyun couldn’t be together at the moment. And after he finished telling the story, Seungyoon continued talking about his disappointments, the lack of time Bohyun had for him even after he moved to Seoul, things that made him worried, and his next plan in Seoul. Seungyoon drank a lot. He started to get a bit tipsy. His cheeks turned a little more reddish, but he wasn’t completely drunk yet. “I’ll be okay without him, right? Mino?”

 

“Yes… you’ll be fine, Seungyoon.” Mino said with a sad grimace. “But you have to stop drinking, okay? You’ll get too drunk and wake up not feeling well tomorrow.” He said as he quickly pulled Seungyoon’s glass from the latter’s hand.

 

Seungyoon frowned and pouted. He looked around and his eyes found the karaoke machine. The stage was empty and music only came from the central speaker from the club. He stood up and left the seat, walking towards the machine. Mino was about to stop him but he couldn’t, because Seungyoon reached the machine and turned it on already.

 

The music playing in the background suddenly stopped, replaced by only the sounds of people talking and laughing. But soon after, they noticed that the music had stopped, so they glanced at the stage, expecting someone to perform. Just as usual, everytime someone the karaoke machine, the club stopped their music and the spotlight towards the stage.

 

Seungyoon was quietly selecting a song for him, not aware that Mino was looking after him nervously, hoping Seungyoon didn’t do something embarrassing.

 

The piano intro of Kim Hyunsik’s “Like Rain, Like Music” started playing from the machine, as Seungyoon walked towards the center of the stage and grabbed the mic.

 

"When rain falls and the music flows

I think of you

That night when you left

it was raining like this"

 

Seungyoon started singing, and Mino was stunned aft

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter