The one with the electric drill

Don't Waste Your Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seungyoon’s friends knew that he was very organized, especially when it comes to his photography equipment. Among all the things he brought from his hometown, he spent the most time organizing his cameras, lenses, tripods, and the other equipment. He categorized his cameras and lenses according to their function, placing them carefully inside the four-levels dry cabinet to keep them safe.

 

Seungyoon smiled in satisfaction at how neatly his cameras and lenses were. He turned around and the last box he needed to unpack was the wall decoration box. He took out the items inside the box one by one and realized that he needed an electric drill to install the shelves and some of the decorations.

 

He checked the storage room next to the bathroom at the apartment. When he opened the door, he could easily recognize that Seunghoon was also quite organized. All kinds of home necessities, from cleaning tools to basic home equipment like hammer, screwdrivers in various sizes, etc. were neatly stored in the room. He started to look for the electric drill at the part of the room where he could find the building tools, but he couldn’t find it.

 

“It’s impossible if Seunghoon-hyung doesn’t have it.” He mumbled, taking out his phone out of his pocket and dialed Seunghoon. “Hmm. He’s probably busy right now.” He said to himself as Seunghoon didn’t answer the call.

 

He was thinking of other ways to install those things, but remembered that he could try asking Jinwoo, who lived across the hall. “Maybe he has it.”

 

Seungyoon hesitated at first, but he really wanted to finish unpacking. So, he went outside and walked towards the door across the hall. He pressed the doorbell and waited. But no one answered. So he tried pressing the button again, and politely spoke to the machine.

 

“Hi, Kim Jinwoo-ssi? Are you at home?”

 

Still no answer.

 

Seungyoon was about to turn around, thinking that Jinwoo might not be at home, when the door opened. He smiled and his eyes met the person who opened the door.

 

Quickly aware that the person was not the same person he met the night before, he said innocently, “Oh? You are not the Kim Jinwoo I met last night.” Afraid that he might knock on the wrong door, he sounded a little bit panicked.

 

“Uh, who are you?” The person responded, his voice sounded like he was a bit irritated.

 

Since things turned awkward already, Seungyoon decided to just get over it and introduced himself. “I’m Kang Seungyoon, Lee Seunghoon’s new roommate.” and smiled while offering his hand to a handshake. Could be worse if this person refuses to take my hand for a handshake. He thought.

 

Luckily, even though the person didn’t smile back, he took his hand and answered. “I’m Mino, Song Mino. Jinwoo’s roommate.”

 

***

 

“Nice to meet you, Song Mino-ssi.” Seungyoon said in a courteous manner.

 

“Uh, yeah, nice to meet you. Just… just call me Mino.” Mino answered while rubbing the back of his neck as he felt a little guilty for being kind of rude earlier. “Uh, so, you’re looking for Jinwoo?” He tried to change the topic.

 

“Yeah, but if he isn’t home, I’m sorry to bother you...”

 

“No, no. It’s okay.” Mino assured, “He’s here, but I think he’s still asleep.”

 

“Oh.” Seungyoon looked at Mino, thinking. “Actually, maybe… uh, may I ask you a favor?” Seungyoon continued with a grin.

 

Mino groaned inside, thinking about the blank canvas he left hanging and the tight deadline for him to finish it. But instead of telling the truth (that he had work to do), strangely as if someone else took control of his mouth, he answered, “Yeah, sure. What can I help you with?”

 

“I need an electric drill to install and set up some shelves and uh, wall decoration, but I couldn’t find it in our storage room.” Seungyoon explained. “I’ve tried to call Seunghoon-hyung but he didn’t answer. May I borrow yours or Jinwoo’s electric drill?”

 

Mino nodded curiously as he listened to Seungyoon. “Sure. But since I haven't used it for a while, I need a few minutes to look for it though. You can wait inside.” He took a few steps back while opening the door further and gestured Seungyoon to enter the apartment.

 

“Thanks.” Seungyoon walked in and as soon as he entered the apartment, Seungyoon’s eyes got caught with a large painting on the wall behind the TV cabinet in the living room.

 

“You can sit there. I’ll take a look at the storage room.” Mino stated and went to their storage room, leaving Seungyoon alone in the living room.

 

Mino and Jinwoo’s apartment was a minimalist industrial style. The color of the wall in the living room was dark grey with a slight touch of texture, it made the paintings on the wall look more stand out because of the contrast of the colors. A soft black carpet placed on top of a lighter grey floor. The furniture was dominated with black and white. There were some paintings hanging on some parts of the walls, but the one behind the TV cabinet was the largest and most colorful one.

 

Seungyoon walked slowly towards the painting without taking his eyes off of it and studied it. It was a painting of someone’s back. He felt familiar with the person’s back in the painting, trying to figure out who it was. He narrowed his eyes as if it would help him to recognize.

 

“Found it!”

 

Mino’s voice caught Seungyoon’s attention again. He turned around and saw Mino walking towards him, holding an electric drill.

 

Mino handed the electric drill to Seungyoon. “I suppose you know how to use it, right?”

 

Seungyoon chuckled. “Yes, of course. Thanks, Mino. I’ll give it back to you when I’m done.”

 

Mino accompanied Seungyoon towards the front door again. He watched Seungyoon smiling and walked away, to his own apartment, then something hit Mino. He wasn’t sure what that was, but it somehow just made him blurt out, “We should hang out sometimes…”

 

Seungyoon turned around again to see Mino. He looked confused but calm.

 

Mino cleared his throat. “I mean, like, for coffee, or… or lunch?” Mino stuttered. Again, he didn’t know why he sounded like that. He leaned his body against the frame of his front door, trying to be casual, although he was more confused to himself at the moment.

 

“Oh, sure, yeah. We’re neighbors after all.” Seungyoon grinned.

 

Why am I making this more awkward than before? Mino thought.

 

“Actually…” Seungyoon continued before Mino replied again, “If you haven’t had lunch yet, we could go for lunch today?” Seungyoon asked, “After, uh, after I finished putting up all of those shelves and wall decorations.” He added.

 

Mino, you have a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter