04

Nothing's Over

--

Four

--



Junho was mildly surprised to see you so gung ho about the warm up exercises. He was sure you’d be sore and complaining about it today.
 
“You’re not sore?” he asked as you two ended your warm up with some stretching to let you catch your breath. You wiped some sweat away from your forehead, taking deep breaths.
 
“I am. But I went jogging with a friend this morning, and I dunno. I’m not as tired or as sore as I thought I would be.”
 
“That’s good, you’re keeping active. Don’t overwork yourself,” he said sternly. You nodded, reaching for your toes and letting out a deep breath.
 
“How are your studies?” Junho was making small talk now. He didn’t seem as bad as the other SS members.
 
“They’re fine, nothing too hard.” You switched to your other leg and groaned as you felt sore muscles stretching.
 
“That’s good. You should concentrate on school. It’s important.” You grinned at him before laughing.
 
“You’re not going to give me the talk too, are you?” Junho looked at you in surprise before starting to stammer.
 
“Well, n-no. I’m just saying that school is important, and you shouldn’t get distracted from your studies by boys and such.” You narrowed your eyes at Junho as you sat up.
 
“You didn’t talk to the SS training Junhyung, did you?”
 
“I might’ve,” he said lightly. “He says the easiest way to motivate Junhyung is to mention you. Same goes for the kid that blows stuff up.” You sighed before shaking your head.
 
--
 
You had to admit, kickboxing was a lot of fun. Junho would pull a sandbag from a page for you to practice on after he taught you basic techniques.
 
“You have a lot of built up rage inside of you, huh?” he asked as he watched you attack the sandbag. You stopped, hugging the sandbag to keep it from swinging back and forth. Sweat was dripping down your face, but you felt so good, you didn’t care how junky you looked at that moment.
 
“I guess,” you said, laughing slightly. “This is a lot more fun than I thought it would be.” Junho smiled at you before handing you a piece of paper.
 
“Try it.” You took it from him and read the word ‘pen’ in his neat script before taking in deep breaths. You focused all the energy to your body and watched as the pen appeared in your hands without too much effort.
 
Your eyes widened in surprise before a  wide grin spread on your face.
 
“Good job,” Junho took the pen from your hands and tossed it up and down in the air. “Feeling tired?” You shrugged.
 
“Only a little bit. Probably more from the physical activity I’ve done today than pulling the pen.” Junho spun it between his fingers, nodding his head.
 
“Well, when you pass out from exhaustion today, which you will, make a mental note of what time it is, okay?” You nodded before he turned the pen back into the paper.
 
--
 
You were already getting sleepy by the time lunch rolled around.
 
“You certainly look tired,” a familiar voice said. You heard chairs screech out around you and didn’t even bother to look up.
 
“So what if I am?” you said to Woohyun. You could almost hear him smirk at you.
 
“Man. You must’ve done a lot with that jog with Sunggyu this morning.”
 
“You read his mind, you tell me.”
 
“He wasn’t concentrated on the jog. He was trying to figure out ways to-”
 
“Woohyun! I swear, shut up!” You looked up in surprise when you heard Sunggyu’s voice coming from beside you. He was glaring daggers as Woohyun, who still had his mouth open, tempted to finish his sentence.
 
“You’re in this lunch shift?” you asked with a yawn. Sunggyu gave you another worried look.
 
“You look really tired. Maybe you shouldn’t come for jogs in the morning after all...”
 
“You didn’t answer my question.” You laid your head back down onto your arms, peeking at him over your glasses.
 
“Yeah, I do. I usually spend it practicing though.”
 
“Then why aren’t you practicing?”
 
“He found out you had this lunch shift too,” Woohyun said, devious smirk on his face.
 
“No! That’s not the reason why. I was just a little bit tired today. That’s all. Training with an SS is like hardcore boot camp.” He scooted his chair out and laid his head on the table, turning to face you. You smiled at him and pointed at him. He reached out with his hand and poked your finger with his.
 
“Aww. So cute. I told you already, Sunggyu. You should just confess and get it over with. I already told you her thoughts on you and told her your thoughts on her.” The two of you turned to glare at Woohyun.
 
“Just shut up, Woohyun. Please shut up.” Hoya rolled his eyes and rubbed his temples.
 
--
 
“So maybe Woohyun was right about the reason why I came to lunch today,” Sunggyu said slowly. He was walking you back to class, and the two of you were taking a leisurely pace. His hands were stuffed into his pockets as he avoided looking at you.
 
“You came to see me?” He pursed his lips before glancing at you from the corner of his eye.
 
“Maybe. What would happen if I said I did?”
 
“I’d say it was sweet, then smile at you. Kinda like this.” You smiled at him, making his expression falter a little bit before he smiled back sheepishly.
 
“You’re really pretty,” he said quietly, rubbing the back of his neck. There was something different about the way he and Junhyung complimented you. You’d become so used to Junhyung calling you beautiful or gorgeous, you didn’t think too much about it. But when Sunggyu called you pretty, you could feel some nervous butterflies in your stomach.
 
“I... Thanks...” You looked down at your feet and blushed slightly. This was weird, even for you. When you got to the door of your classroom, you looked up nervously and swung your arms back and forth.
 
“Thanks for walking me to class.”
 
“Yeah, no problem. Take you for some ice cream after school again?” You nodded before stepping forward to give him a hug. He made a noise of surprise as you laid your head against his chest and wrapped your arms around him.
 
And as soon as you hugged him, you let go and headed into the classroom with a small wave. Sunngyu stared after you for a second before a stupid grin made its way onto his face. Junhyung peeked out of the classroom to see Sunggyu turn around and leave before looking at you with your dreamy expression on your face.
 
He made a slightly disgusted face as he grabbed your shoulders before you sat down.
 
“Yah. What did I say about Sunggyu?”
 
“I dunno. Something about no funny business.” He shook you a few times.
 
“Are you feeling okay?” You smacked his arms away before sitting down.
 
“I’m fine. What’s up with you?” you asked, jabbing your finger into his stomach. He flinched, wrapping his arms around his stomach. You smirked at him.
 
“Squish.”
 
“It’s not squishy! I’ve been working all all summer, there’s a six pack there, I just wasn’t ready!”
 
--
 
You waited by the gates after school for Sunggyu, rocking back and forth on your feet. Junhyung always stayed after for some extra practice, unless he really didn’t feel like it. You saw Sunggyu jog up to the gates in casual clothes.
 
“You mind if we stop by my house so I can change and leave these at home?” you asked, holding up your book bag. He reached out and took it from you, swinging it over his shoulder.
 
“Ladies first."
 
--
 
The weather outside was gorgeous. It was sunny with a light breeze, and maybe it was a little bit on the hot side, but you liked being warm. The two of you playfully shoved at each other on the sidewalk until you shoved Sunggyu a little bit too hard, knocking him off balance.
 
Your book bag accidentally opened, sending papers flying into the wind.
 
“Crap!” Sunggyu waved his hand and the papers froze in the wind. Your jaw dropped as he ran forward to collect the papers and stuff them into your bag.
 
“Well, that’s useful.” He smiled at you.
 
“I didn’t realize you hit so hard.” You raised up your arms and pretended to flex.
 
“Someone has to keep Junhyung in line, right?”
 
--
 
Sunggyu waited for you in the front yard. You were yawning as you stepped out of the house, saying good bye to your mother.
 
“Tired already?” he asked as you two made your way to the ice cream parlor. You stretched your arms above your head, feeling some of the soreness come back into your muscles.
 
“Yeah... I’m not really used to working out all the time and using my powers like this.” The ice cream parlor wasn’t too far away from the school. You waited outside as Sunggyu went in to buy two ice cream cones.
 
“Strawberry ice cream with caramel topping and a cherry on top. God, I’m getting cavities just looking at this thing,” he said as he handed you your cone. You two walked down the street, eating your ice cream.
 
“It is amazing. I have the biggest sweet tooth in the world.” You watched as Sunggyu stared off into the distance for a second before laughing to himself.
 
“What?”
 
“Nothing, I just thought of something cheesy, that’s all.”
 
“What? Tell me?” You grabbed his arm and shook it.
 
“No. It’s embarrassing.”
 
“Tell me,” you said again, this time, throwing your puppy dog face at him. He took one glance at you before looking away with a frustrated yell.
 
“No!”
 
“Please?” You could see his resolve cracking as he sighed.
 
“I thought, ‘How ironic. A sweetheart with a sweet tooth.’” He buried his face into his hand as you jumped up and down beside him, almost dropping your ice cream while you laughed.
 
“You’re right! That’s so cheesy, but it’s so cute.” You punched him lightly in the arm, laughter still in your eyes.
 
“I’m doomed, aren’t I?” he asked, looking over at you with a defeated expression on his face. You gave him a confused look as the two of you turned into the park.
 
“Doomed? What do you mean?” You wandered over to a bench and sat down, patting the seat beside you with a free hand. He sat down beside you and frowned at his melting ice cream.
 
“You’re gorgeous. I’m thinking the only reason there aren’t guys all over you is because of Junhyung. Woohyun tells me all the time about the thoughts of guys you pass by just to spite me.” You snorted before taking another of your ice cream.
 
“You sure he wasn’t just saying that to mess with you? Seems like something Woohyun would do.” Sunggyu stopped and blinked a few times before he started to mouth some choice words, making a mental note to talk to Woohyun later.
 
“That doesn’t explain why you’re doomed though,” you said.
 
“Well... You’re pretty, and funny, and easy to get along with. I’m awkward, weird, and just glad that you haven’t tried to avoid me yet.” You blew up your cheeks as you thought of something to say to that. Sunggyu laughed and poked you in the face, making you deflate.
 
“I find you endearing. I wouldn’t avoid you unless you tried to blow me up.” You whined as some of the ice cream melted onto your hands. You you hand before wiping it off with a napkin.
 
Sunggyu laughed at you again as you turned to look at him.
 
“What? Did I get some on my face?”
 
“Yeah. It’s right...” he leaned over and was an inch away from your face before you knew it. Your face flushed red, but you didn’t pull away. He grabbed your chin with his free hand and tilted your head up before planting a soft kiss on your lips.
 
“... here. All gone,” he said pulling away. You bit your lip, trying to stop a ridiculous smile from appearing on your lips. Sunggyu sat facing forward, trying to do the same thing but failing miserably as he stole glances at you.
 
“You had an ulterior motive to taking me out for ice cream today, didn’t you?” He leaned back into the bench and laughed.
 
“Maybe I did. You’ll never know.”
 
“I could just ask Woohyun tomorrow.”
 
“What makes you think he’d tell you?”
 
“He can’t keep his mouth shut.”
 
--
 
 The two of you took a walk around the park, standing a little bit closer to each other. You could feel your hands bumping together as you walked. Your heart was beating out of your chest as you gathered your wits and grabbed his hand, lacing your fingers together.
 
He turned to look at you in surprise, but you were staring off into the distance on the other side, pretending not to notice.
 
Halfway around the park, you yawned loudly. The day’s work was starting to get to you.
 
“Are you tired? Wanna go home already?” You nodded sleepily, rubbing at your eyes. Sunggyu shook his head, muttering something that sounded like, “God, you’re so cute,” underneath his breath.
 
He let go of your hand and squatted down in front of you.
 
“Get on. I’ll carry you home so you can sleep.” You smiled and fell forward, wrapping your arms around his neck as he picked you up. You rested your head on his shoulder and made a mental note to ask him what cologne he wore.
 
The gentle rocking of his steps and warmth from his body eventually lulled you to sleep. You stole a glance at your watch before your eyes closed all the way.
 
“Hey. Are you asleep already?” Sunggyu turned his head to see your sleeping face. He sighed a happy sigh. Was this real life?
 
--
 
Junhyung was on the couch throwing a ball up and down, waiting for you to come home. Your mom told him you went out with Sunggyu, and after you didn’t answer his texts, he got worried, because you always answered his texts, no matter what you were doing.
 
He sat up when he heard the screen door open and Sunggyu walk in with you on his back, passed out cold.
 
“Yah. What did you do to her?!”
 
“I took her out for some ice cream, we took a walk. She got tired, so I offered to carry her home. She fell asleep.” Junhyung gave Sunggyu a look of disbelief.
 
Your mom looked at the two of you fondly before directing Sunggyu to your room, where he laid you down gently on your bed with Junhyung looming in the doorway.
 
“I’m not going to do anything to her, jeeze,” Sunggyu said, standing back up from your bedside and taking a glance around your room.
 
“Just making sure,” Junhyung said, staring at Sunggyu. Sunggyu brushed some of your hair away from your face before Junhyung looked like he was ready to murder someone. Sunggyu stepped out of your room and downstairs to put his shoes on.
 
“Oh, you’re leaving Sunggyu? You should stay for dinner.” He shook his head and declined politely.
 
“I have to catch up on some training and stuff. Thank you for offering though.” He bowed low to your mom before waving and leaving.
 
“I don’t think I like him,” Junhyung said as he watched Sunggyu’s retreating back.
 
“Well, I do. He seems adorable.”
 
“What? I’m not adorable enough for you?” Junhyung batted his eyes at your mom, making her gag slightly.
 
“I can see why she’s so abusive to you now.”