Chapter 24

My Girl

"Joohyunnie?" 

 

Irene lifts her head from Wendy's chest and looks up at the younger girl. "Hm?" 

 

"I'm.. just curious." 

 

Irene raised her brow. "Hm? About what?" 

 

"Well.." Wendy started, albeit shyly. "If.. the accident, the second accident didn't happen, what- what is that important thing that you wanted to say to me?" 

 

Irene furrows in confusion. They had just talked about it a few hours ago. Nonetheless, she answered. "Like I've told you earlier, I was planning to tell you about my feelings for you." 

 

"Y-yes, you've told me that. But I, uh, I want to hear it." 

 

Irene entangles herself from Wendy, being mindful of the blanket that is covering their bodies. She positions sideways, elbow resting on the bed with her palm supporting her head. She stares at Wendy and she doesn't miss the obvious shades of pink on the latter's cheeks. Smirking, Irene nods to herself. 

 

"Ah. You want to hear my supposed confession that day." Irene answered in her teasing tone. "Right, Seungwan-ah?" 

 

Wendy pouted at the teasing. She huffs and was about to leave the bed when in one swift movement, Irene was already hovering on top of her. Being careful not to press her whole weight on Wendy, Irene stares into the latter's brown orbs. 

 

"J-Joohyunnie.."

 

"I'll go with Jennie to the US to talk with her parents and to formally cancel the wedding." 

 

Wendy was confused for a moment before she realized that Irene was doing what she just asked. Smiling to herself, Wendy listens. 

 

"But I'll come back, Seungwan-ah." Irene continued, the words she wasn't able to say before were still fresh on her mind. "I'll come back for you." 

 

Wendy's eyes widened at that, making Irene chuckle. 

 

"So is that how you were gonna respond to me? Because I imagined that you would at least ask questions." 

 

Suddenly feeling shy, Wendy managed a soft 'why?'. 

 

"There's a reason why I'm always looking and wanting for your presence. And I think I've already known it for a while. But I tried to deny those feelings. So, I've actually been lying to myself for quite a while now. And.. I don't want to pretend anymore." 

 

Wendy raised her brow, curious. 

 

Irene gives her a gentle smile. "I'm done pretending that I don't know why my heart beats the way it does whenever you're around."

 

"I can't pretend anymore that I'm not affected with how close you and Sooyoung are, when the truth is, I am really, really jealous." 

 

"And I can't lie to myself anymore that I still love Jennie.. Because the truth is, I think I'm already falling in love with you." 

 

Wendy's heart skips a beat. Irene had already told this to her earlier but hearing those words really hits differently. She feels her cheeks getting hotter by the minute. 

 

"I'm sorry it took me this long to act up on my feelings." Irene continued, eyes never leaving Wendy's. "Jennie.. was a big part of my life. And for months, I thought that we were still together. Because that's what I remembered. So, I really didn't want to hurt her, hence I ignored all these feelings I have for you thinking that it was so wrong of me to fall for someone else."

 

"When I finally learned the truth, some may say that I should be happy because at least, I don't have to think about Jennie anymore. But to be honest, the truth didn't make me happy."

 

Irene gave a small, bitter smile. "On the contrary, I was so mad at myself for hurting you."

 

"Joohyunnie.." Wendy raised her hand to Irene's face, straightening the latter's creases on her forehead.

 

"Back then at the hospital, I told you I needed time. Because besides being confused as to where we would stand, I also felt that I don't have the courage to face you anymore after all that I did." Irene chuckles. "And it took me a while to realize that as much as I don't want to pretend anymore, I don't want to be a coward either."

 

"And I want to tell you.. that I'm in love with you, Seungwan-ah." 

 

Wendy was rendered speechless, captivated by Irene's intense but loving gaze. 

 

A few seconds of silence passed before Irene broke into a wide smile. "So that was what my confession would sound like if the accident didn't happen. Was it.. okay?" 

 

Wendy can only manage a short nod, aware of how red her cheeks are right now. Seeing this, Irene grins. 

 

"And you know, Seungwan, if you'll allow me, I was thinking of ending that confession with-" Irene trailed off as her fingers deliberately brushed the corner of Wendy's lips. "-something."

 

Wendy gulps. She was beet red and Irene was not helping by purposely flirting with her. 

 

"So, what do you say, Seungwan-ah?" Irene leaned closed to Wendy's ears, sending shivers down the younger girl's spine. "May I?" 

 

Wendy knows that Irene was obviously teasing her, judging with how the Queen was trying to hold her laughter. 

 

Ugh, fine. Two can play this game. 

 

Without a word, Wendy cups Irene's cheeks and before the latter could react, Wendy leans in and captures the older girl's lips. 

 

Irene's eyes widened at the action, but she soon melted into the kiss. 

 

"I can be wild too, you know, Joohyunnie." Wendy whispers into Irene's ears after breaking the kiss. 

 

"Really?" Irene's eyebrows furrow playfully. "Show me."

 

In a swift motion, Wendy swapped their position and she's the one hovering over Irene now. Being attentive, Irene fixed the blanket over Wendy's exposed back, not wanting the latter to catch a cold because of the cool air in the room. 

 

"Oh, I'll definitely show you." Wendy winks before she leans into Irene's lips once more. 

 

"Joohyun unnie! Is Wendy unnie-" 

 

The door was opened harshly and the words died down from Yeri's mouth. 

 

It was like time stopped as Yeri's wide eyes met Irene's similar ones. 

 

"YAH!" 

 

The two Queens shouted at the same time, with Yeri immediately leaving the room, closing the door with a loud bang while Irene instinctively pulled Wendy to her, covering their bodies with the blanket. When she heard the door closing, Irene immediately gathered Wendy's clothes and gave it to the red-faced girl. 

 

"What the- Kim Yerim! Don't you know how to knock?!" Irene shouted as she wore her clothes back. 

 

"Don't blame it on me, unnie!" Yeri shouted back from outside the room. "If you're planning to eat each other out, you should have locked the door!" 

 

"This is my room! I can do whatever I want with it! You, on the other hand, should learn how to respect privacy!" 

 

"Excuses, excuses! I've been doing this since we're kids! Ugh! My poor eyes!" 

 

Irene rolled her eyes. She turned to Wendy with a shy smile. "Sorry about that." 

 

"Well, that's.. embarrassing." Wendy managed to let out an awkward chuckle, a hand rubbing her nape. 

 

"Yeah, and I'm sure we'll never hear the end of it." Irene shakes her head. 

 

"It's fine, Joohyunnie." Wendy laughs. "I mean, Yerim had a point. We should really lock the door next time." 

 

"Ugh. That brat, really." 

 

"So uh, let's prepare ourselves for the teasing once we've come out, I guess?" 

 

"Oh, yeah." Irene laughs, shaking her head once more. She raised her hand to fix Wendy's hair. "Especially when your hair is disheveled like this."

 

"Yah, Joohyunnieee." 

 

Irene giggles and gives a chaste kiss on the pouting lips. She stares at Wendy again as she continues to fix the latter's bangs. "I really wished that the second accident didn't happen." 

 

Wendy frowns. "But that will mean you won't have your memories back." 

 

"True. But it doesn't matter." 

 

Despite the smile Irene was giving her, Wendy noted the seriousness behind her words. 

 

"I just hoped I was able to show you my feelings...how much I love you, even without recalling our memories together." Irene gives a smile, albeit sadly. "Honestly, I felt regretful about that. So I really understand what you might have felt, but like I've said before, please don't think that I just came back for you because of my memories." Irene caresses Wendy's cheek. "I'm in love with you, Son Seungwan, regardless if I remember us or not."

 

Touched by Irene's words, Wendy couldn't help but claim the older girl's lips. "And I'm in love with you too, Joohyunnie. Always been." 

 

Smiling, Irene leans in once more for a kiss. 

 

"Yah, unnies! Aren't you two still satisfied?!" They heard Joy's shout this time. "Come down now! We, your children, are starving!" 

 

Chuckling, Wendy pulled out from the kiss as she heard Irene's groans. 

 

"Ugh! I already told her before that I don't have a daughter like her." 

 

Wendy can only laugh as she takes Irene's hand. "Let's go to our daughters, Joohyunnie."

 

Irene huffs, a soft pink tainting her cheeks. "Fine." 

 

The two came down to the living room and were greeted by an innocently smiling Seulgi, a smirking Joy, and a playfully sulking Yeri.

 

"Woah, you two really." Joy exclaimed with a clap. "It's been just a week since the two of you got back together and you're already at it." 

 

"Ugh. Don't remind me, Sooyoung unnie." Yeri dramatically answered. "My eyes! My poor, poor eyes." 

 

Wendy could only chuckle embarrassingly while Irene had to roll her eyes. 

 

"Stop being overdramatic, Kim Yerim. You haven't seen anything." 

 

"Oh, really, unnie?" Yeri smirks. "Well I'm pretty sure I saw you two eating each other's faces, with Wendy unnie on top of-" 

 

"Yah, yah! Stop!" Irene screamed, her cheeks oozing with the color red. 

 

"Omo!" Joy laughed and went towards the two red-faced girls. She hooked her arms around Wendy's shoulder. "Well, I have to admit Wendy unnie, I didn't know you had it in you." 

 

"W-well.." Wendy's face gets even more red, if it's still possible. 

 

"Yah, stop teasing Seungwan." Irene ignored her own reddening face and pulled Wendy's arm closer to her. "And will you please loosen your hold on my girlfriend." 

 

Laughing, Joy raised her arms in the air. "Fine. It's not like I'm gonna take Wendy unnie away anyway." Satisfied by Irene's reaction, Joy went around to Irene's side, whispering in the latter's ears, "I missed this side of you, unnie. It's good to finally show your jealousy, no?"

 

Irene rolls her eyes as Joy gives her a wink. She wouldn't admit it though that what Joy said was true. 

 

"What are you guys even doing here?" Irene asked, changing the topic. 

 

"Well since it's the weekend, we decided to have a pajama party here." Seulgi answered this time. "We went to Wendy's apartment to fetch her but no one's answering so we figured she was here already."

 

"Yeah, we didn't expect that you two were having your private time, though." Yeri added, smirking. 

 

"Ugh. Stop bringing it up." Irene groans. "What do you guys have in mind to do anyway?" 

 

Joy grins widely as she raises the plastic bag she's holding. "Let's get drunk!" 


 

**


 

It was past midnight when the girls decided to call it a day. Irene assisted the drunk Seulgi and Yeri to their respective rooms, and went back to the living room to find Joy and Wendy on the sofa, leaning on each other's heads. She smiled at the sight and patted Wendy's cheek, making the latter open her eyes. 

 

"Hey, you're back." Wendy whispered, leaning on Irene's touch. "Is Seulgi and Yerim okay?" 

 

"Hm. Landed face-first on their bed the moment we entered their rooms." Irene chuckles. She then gestured towards Joy. "I'll take Sooyoung to her room. You go and wash first." 

 

Wendy nods and gently lifts Joy's head from her shoulder. "Sooyoungie, you need to go to your room now." 

 

Joy opens her eyes sleepily. 

 

"C'mon, Sooyoung-ah." Irene taps her shoulder. 

 

Joy pouts and leans to Wendy's shoulder once more, hugging the older girl this time. "I'll just sleep here." 

 

"You can't sleep here. And just so you know, that's my girlfriend you're hugging." 

 

Instead of letting go, Joy hugs Wendy tighter. "Wendy unnie, can I? Please?" 

 

"What the-" Irene had to cringe at the aegyo. 

 

Wendy laughs and ruffles Joy's hair. "It's too uncomfortable here, Sooyoung-ah. C'mon, let's get you to your room." 

 

"Hm. Fine." Joy stood tipsily and Irene had to hold her for support. "Goodnight, Wendy unnie."

 

"Night, Sooyoungie." 

 

Irene helped Joy to her room while Wendy stayed to clean the living room. 

 

"Unnie, I'm not that drunk. I can go to bed perfectly fine." Joy slurred as they reached her room. 

 

"Look at you being independent when you're with me but being so clingy over Seungwan." Irene shakes her head amusingly. 

 

Joy sat down on the bed and looked at Irene with a grin. "Why? Are you jealous, unnie?" 

 

"Yes. I am." 

 

It was meant to be a teasing remark but Irene's direct and serious answer made Joy stop in her tracks. Her sleepiness and dizziness long forgotten. 

 

"Unnie, it's not-" 

 

To her relief, Irene laughs and pushes Joy gently to lie down on her bed. "I'm just kidding, Sooyoung-ah."

 

"Ugh, unnie." 

 

"You know.. In fact, I want to thank you, Sooyoung-ah." 

 

Joy frowns. "What for, unnie?" 

 

"For always looking after Seungwan, for always being there for her. Especially when I failed to do so."

 

"Stop thinking low of yourself, unnie." Joy pats Irene's hand. "I'm just glad that you two are back together again. Wendy unnie loves you so much, unnie." 

 

Irene gave a gentle smile. "And I love her, Sooyoung-ah." 

 

"I know." Joy grins. "That's why I'm assured that you'll make each other happy. With no accidents this time, I hope." 

 

"Yeah." Irene had to laugh. "But really, thank you, Sooyoung-ah. I owe you guys a lot." 

 

"Well, if you want to make up for it.. just accept me as your daughter, and we're good, mom." 

 

"Yah!" 

 

Joy laughs. "I'm kidding, unnie." She stifles a yawn. "Go to Wendy unnie and sleep now, unnie. I'm really sleepy already." 

 

Irene chuckles and fixes Joy's blanket. "Goodnight, Sooyoung-ah." 

 

"Goodnight, unnie. You and Wendy unnie keep it low, okay?" 

 

Joy immediately pulled the blanket over her head before a throw pillow landed on her face, courtesy of a red-faced Irene. 

 

"Sweet dreams, unnie!" Joy shouts from under the blanket, trying to control her laughter. 

 

Irene went back down to find an empty living room. She thought that Wendy already went upstairs when she saw the said girl sitting on the balcony with two mugs on the table. 

 

"I thought you're already asleep." 

 

Wendy grins. "I suddenly craved for coffee." She raised one mug in the air. "Hot choco for you?" 

 

Irene smiled and sat down across Wendy. "I love that." 

 

"So the girls are already asleep?" 

 

Irene shakes her head, chuckling. "You really sound like you're their mom." 

 

"And you act like you're their mother." 

 

"What?" Irene wanted to argue but she realized there's some truth in Wendy's words. "Ugh. Okay. Fine."

 

Wendy laughs. Feeling the cold breeze, she sipped her coffee as she looked at the horizon. "I like this, unnie." 

 

"What is?" 

 

"This, Joohyunnie. Simple things like these. Spending time with you like this." 

 

Irene gave a wide smile. "Yeah. I like this, too." 

 

Silence filled the air as the two silently cherished shared moments like this. It was Irene who first broke the silence. 

 

"Seungwan." 

 

"Hm?" 

 

"Thank you." 

 

Wendy turned to Irene. "For what, unnie?" 

 

"For giving me another chance with you. I know I don't deserve you-" 

 

"Joohyunnie-" Wendy held Irene's hand from across the table. "Please don't think that way." 

 

"I'm just saying." Irene squeezed Wendy's hand and gave a small chuckle. "I was actually prepared to get rejected, you know." 

 

"What?" Wendy's jaw dropped. "You think I would reject you?" 

 

"Well," Irene rubs the back of her neck. "It's not impossible. Right?" 

 

Wendy gave a curious look. "What would you do then, unnie? If that time, I said no?" 

 

"Well, of course I would have understood." Irene chuckles, which came a bit awkward though. "So I will give you all the time you need, until you're ready to take me back again." 

 

Wendy gave her a teasing look. "But Yerim said you were so ready to go back to the States that time, if they didn't intervene." 

 

Irene laughs. "Ah. That was a rushed decision made by letting your emotions get the best of you. I saw you crying and getting hurt by my presence that I just decided on leaving without thinking about it first." 

 

Wendy smiled understandingly.

 

"But just to make it clear, I was not really planning on leaving again that time, you know." Irene continued. "I was packing my things the next day when I realized that I couldn't do it, I couldn't be far away from you again. Then, that's the time I received Yeri's call." 

 

"So you decided to stay even though you think I'll reject you?" 

 

Irene shrugs. "Well, I was ready to wait and do whatever it takes to win you back." 

 

Wendy smiles and squeezes Irene's hand. "You know, unnie, I've done a lot of thinking that time at the park, right after I ran off from the old gym. And to be honest.. I thought of not giving us a go anymore." 

 

Irene nods. She figured that as much. She followed Wendy that time and she saw how hurt and confused Wendy was. That time, Irene was so sure that Wendy would not take her back. 

 

"What changed your mind?" 

 

"Well.. A lot has happened. And one thing I learned from it, was life is too short and too.. unexpected." Wendy paused as she gathered her thoughts. "I mean, one moment we were just happily talking in your car then the next moment," Wendy flinched at the memory. "-you were in a coma." 

 

Irene brushed Wendy's hand on her hold. 

 

"And it was not even the only accident that happened." Wendy shakes her head and chuckles to lighten the mood. "We were in an accident, twice, unnie." 

 

Irene too, shakes her head in sheer amusement of the events that happened to them. "Yeah." 

 

"So, I realized that life is too short and anything can happen when you least expect it." Wendy continued. "And I don't want to waste a time of my life in pain when I know that I have a chance to be happy again."

 

"You came back for me. And I don't want to lose you. It's just that simple so why would I make it complicated? Life is too short for that. And besides, I did it for myself too. I want myself to be happy. And only you can give that happiness to me." Wendy chuckles. "I deserve to be happy, right?" 

 

Irene nods as she stares into Wendy's eyes. "More than anyone else." 

 

"Then please know that it's only you who can give me the happiness I know I deserve." Wendy used her other hand to caress Irene's cheek. "Stop discrediting yourself and let's forget all the heartaches and sadness. I don't want you to think that I don't deserve you. We deserve each other, Joohyunnie. I've always believed that." 

 

With tears streaming down her face, Irene lifts herself up and throws herself in Wendy's arms, embracing the younger girl with all her might. 

 

"I believe that too, Seungwan-ah." Irene kissed the side of Wendy's head. "Thank you, thank you for giving us a chance again."

 

Wendy tightens the huh. "Thank you for coming back to me, Joohyunnie." 


 

***



 

Time flies and soon, three years have passed. 

 

Wendy couldn't ask for more. Her relationship with Irene was even stronger this time than the first time they've been together and they just recently celebrated their third anniversary. The bond and friendship between her and the Queens grew even more as time passed, and her career as a solo singer was a huge success, even earning her some awards for it. 

 

Being in the entertainment industry has not been easy for Wendy, especially during her second year in the business, when rumors of her dating a girl circulated in the media. 

 

Before Wendy was officially launched as a singer, her label company had already known that she was dating Irene Bae. To be honest, if it was another girl or any other relationship, the company would have surely banned Wendy from it. But it was Irene Bae, the heiress of one of the most powerful and successful companies in Korea and RV entertainment knows that they just have to let Wendy and Irene be. The Queen made sure to be careful though and follow the rules of Wendy's company. It was just unfortunate that dispatch captured pictures of the two of them holding hands one night when Irene dropped Wendy off to her apartment. 

 

When the pictures and rumors first came out, it made a buzz in Korea. First is because Wendy, despite just being in her second year in the business, had already made her name and she was at the peak of her career. Second, is because Korea is still somehow unconventional when it comes to same relationships, especially for public figures. However, much to the company's surprise, the public reaction was not a complete backlash. Though some of the netizens were disapproving, almost half of the public were surprised but accepting. Still, the company wanted to deny the rumors but Wendy was persistently against it. She doesn't want to reveal Irene's face in public so as to protect the latter's privacy while at the same time, Wendy doesn't want to hide what they have and who she really is. Wendy argues that there's nothing wrong with being in a relationship with the same gender and that she owes it to her fans to be honest, saying that her fans, real fans, will accept her for what she is. 

 

RV entertainment eventually relented. They couldn't afford to lose Wendy in the company since despite the news, Wendy's songs and albums were still loved by the public. So in the end, the company chose not to deny or confirm the issue at all. But of course, the public viewed this silence as a confirmation and the media would always swamped Wendy wherever she goes, asking for the face of this mystery girl she's seeing. 

 

One day, Wendy had just finished a pre-recording and the media were all over her as she exited the building. The shutters of the cameras were nonstop; microphones were shoved in every side of her, asking for a statement; people were swarming and despite the bodyguards, Wendy still felt herself being pushed here and there due to the uncontrolled crowd. All through it all, Wendy remained patient and polite, choosing to look down instead and silently praying to get out of the crowd already. Too absorbed in what's happening around her, Wendy didn't realize that a slim figure was strongly pushing everyone out of her way to get to where Wendy is. 

 

Suddenly in the middle of the crowd, Wendy felt a strong but gentle grip on her arm. Wendy would have been surprised if not for the familiarity of the touch. Finally looking up, she gasps to see Irene smiling gently at her. 

 

"J-Joohyunnie." Wendy whispered. Her eyes widened as she became aware of the whisperings and the camera flashes around them. The movement of people around her also stopped as they watched the two girls in the middle of the crowd. Wendy pushed Irene's cap down to further cover the latter's face. It was a good thing though that Irene was wearing sunglasses. "What are you doing here?" 

 

Ignoring Wendy's worried look, Irene used both of her hands to cover the sides of Wendy's face, protecting the latter from the blinding lights of cameras. "Are you okay, Seungwan-ah? You weren't hurt, were you?" 

 

"Joohyunnie.." Wendy's tone was concerned and disapproving. 

 

Ever since the start of the issue, she made it clear that she doesn't want Irene to get into this mess. Irene wanted to argue but Wendy said to just trust her first, and that the news would eventually die down for sure without having to expose Irene. It was a good thing that Irene decided to go with Wendy's manager this time. She was in the car when she saw Wendy being ambushed by the media and Irene knew she couldn't and wouldn't let it pass this time, that's why without thinking twice, she got out of the car and ran to where Wendy is. 

 

"I'm sorry, Seungwan-ah. But I wouldn't just hide in a corner and watch you being mobbed like this while you were doing everything to protect me." 

 

"But-" 

 

Irene ruffles Wendy's hair. To the younger girl's horror, Irene removed her cap and placed it on Wendy's head instead. Before Wendy could react, Irene removed her sunglasses too and wore it on Wendy. "Use this to cover your eyes. These nonstop flashes are insane." 

 

"Joohyunnie!" Wendy gasps. Now, Irene's face is out for the whole of Korea to see. Wendy didn't miss how the crowd collectively gasped as they saw Irene's face. Irene may not be a celebrity people see on TV but Korea knows that face. After all, who wouldn't know the face of the upcoming CEO of Korea's renowned Bae industries. 

 

Wendy immediately tried to remove the sunglasses on her but Irene was faster. She stopped Wendy's hand. 

 

"Trust me, Seungwan, hm?" 

 

Realizing she has no other choice, Wendy nods. Irene smiled at this and she intertwined her hands with Wendy. Despite the nervousness, Wendy can't deny that with Irene's presence, she felt safe and secured. 

 

Irene guided Wendy to continue walking, with herself standing a bit in front of Wendy as if shielding the younger girl from the crowd. 

 

It took a few seconds before the media could process what happened and they immediately followed the two, bombarding them with questions. 

 

"You're the Irene Bae. Right? The successor of Bae Industries?" 

 

"So you're Wendy-ssi's mystery girl? You're her girlfriend?" 

 

"So it's true that you two are seeing each other?" 

 

"Since when?" 

 

"How did you two meet?" 

 

The media, and even Wendy, were surprised when Irene suddenly stopped walking. She drew a big sigh and confidently faced the crowd.  Irene squeezed Wendy's hand behind her, to which Wendy returned the gesture, silently telling the older girl that she's fine with whatever Irene wanted to do. 

 

"I'll tell you all this at once so you better pay attention." Irene started, garnering the media's attention. "Yes, I am that Bae Irene. And yes, Wendy and I are dating each other." 

 

Gasps and more camera flashes followed suit. 

 

"Personally, I don't think we owe it to you and to the public to reveal our relationship. But I also understand that Wendy is in the public eye and like what she told me before, her fans deserved to know the truth. And that's why I'm telling you this now." 

 

"But." Irene's tone was firm. "That's all there is to say. Any other details about our relationship doesn't concern you anymore. That being said, I am expecting that this would be the last time you will all mob Wendy like this. I hope that the next time you'll do something like this will solely be because of Wendy's career, and I'll appreciate it if you'll be careful and considerate next time."

 

"I don't like to sound like I'm warning you but if any of you bother Wendy again about her personal life, my company wouldn't let it pass."

 

There were murmurs and Irene noticed that some of them looked challenged and unconvinced. Irene shrugs it off with a smirk. 

 

"You're all in the media. I'm sure you can easily do a background research on me if you want. Do it then, and see that I don't do threats. I always mean what I say." 

 

This silenced the crowd. Satisfied that she got her message across, Irene and Wendy moved past them towards the waiting car.

 

"I'm sorry, Seungwan. I know you said I shouldn't-" 

 

Wendy cut Irene's words with a soft kiss on her lips. 

 

"As expected of Joohyun Bae." Wendy grins and gives a thumbs up. "You're so cool."

 

On the way back to Wendy's apartment, the three Queens flooded their GC showing how cool and disgustingly romantic Irene was, with Yeri even sending an edited picture of Irene wearing a knight's armor, making Irene and Wendy laugh. 

 

The pictures and videos of Irene revealing herself in public and seemingly protecting Wendy made several headlines in Korea that week. It was received positively though, half of them were commenting that it was so brave and romantic of Irene, while the other half of comments were about praising Irene's beauty. 

 

"Joohyunnie, in this case, I think you'll be more of a celebrity than me." Wendy commented, laughing. "You gained a lot of fans. Some were even going to my fansign just to ask how you are." 

 

Irene's eyes widened. "That's crazy." 

 

"Nah." Wendy waves it off. "It's cute. And I love it when my fans like you." 

 

Irene shakes her head amusingly, but she was glad that it all turned out well. The news eventually died down after a couple of months, and though not all of the public were supporting of same relationships, they were glad that at least majority of the public were open about it. 


 

**


 

Today is Wendy's birthday and fortunately, she was given a week off by the company after her album promotion. They planned on having dinner with the rest of the Queens before Irene and Wendy leave tomorrow for their Europe vacation. 

 

The two arrived at the place where they were supposed to have dinner. As Wendy opens the door, she is greeted by confettis thrown over her head and loud cheers of "Happy Birthday Wendy" by several people she knew well. 

 

Wendy's mouth agape and she was rendered speechless until she felt a comforting pat on her back. She turned to the smiling girl beside her. "Happy Birthday, Seungwan-ah."

 

Before Wendy could respond, she was engulfed in a big hug by Joy. "Happy Birthday, Wendy unnie!" Seulgi and Yeri came beside her, both wishing her a happy birthday. 

 

She pats Joy's back and looks at the two Queens. "Thank you guys." 

 

Joining her and the Queens inside the restaurant are Wendy's managers and stylists, a few people from RV entertainment and there were also some of Wendy's celebrity friends. Wendy was also surprised to see Mr. Bae who looks like he just came from the airport. 

 

"Uncle!" Wendy happily greeted the old man. "I thought you had a conference in China?" 

 

"I do. But they can go on without me for a couple of hours. I wouldn't miss your birthday, you know. And besides," He bent down to whisper. "Joohyun needs our support." 

 

Wendy frowns. "For what, uncle?" 

 

"Oh, you'll know soon." He grins. 

 

"I hope you're not spoiling anything, Yoochan." Came the voice of Irene's mother. Beside her is Mr. Cho, her now new husband. 

 

"Oh, eomoni!" Wendy greets her with a hug. Soon after Irene and Wendy got back together three years ago, Irene's mother decided to stay in Korea with Mr. Cho instead of migrating back to the US. This gave Irene the chance to get closer to her mother again and to know Mr. Cho better as well. Wendy and Irene's mom had the opportunity to bond as well to the point that soon, the older woman insisted for Wendy to call her eomoni already. 

 

"Hi, uncle Yong." Wendy smiled as she greeted Mr. Cho, to which the latter responded with a happy birthday greeting. 

 

"Should I be jealous now, Wendy-ssi?" Mr. Bae playfully squints her eyes at Wendy. "You and I got closer first but you're already calling Hyun's mother as eomoni while I'm still called as uncle." 

 

"Well, it's maybe because she's closer to me now than to you." Irene's mother chirped in. Wendy laughs at this while Mr. Bae pretends to be shocked. 

 

Irene's mother side-hugged Wendy. "Happiest birthday, Wendy."

 

Wendy smiled widely. "Thank you, eomoni." She turned to Mr. Bae. "To you too, ahbeoji." 

 

Mr. Bae grins proudly. "Oh wow, that's good to hear." He raised a hand for a high-five to which Wendy immediately returned. 

 

"Having fun with my parents?" Irene came from behind Wendy and draped her arm around the younger girl. 

 

"Absolutely." Wendy grins. "Ah, I missed my parents." It came as a whisper but Irene managed to catch it. 

 

"Seungwan-ah?" 

 

Wendy turned to Irene.

 

"There's still two people who want to wish you a happy birthday."

 

"Oh?" Wendy turned to the direction Irene was looking at. "Who-" 

 

Wendy gasps just as tears start to form in her eyes. She wasted no time and ran towards the old couple.

 

"Mom! Dad!" Wendy buried herself in her parents' embrace. "You're here." 

 

"We are, sweetheart." Wendy's mom kissed her head. "Happy birthday, Wannie."

 

Mr. Son wiped his daughter's tears. "Aigoo. You're still a baby." 

 

"Appa!" Wendy whines. She goes to hug her father once more. "I'm so happy you two are here. I missed you so much. I'm sorry I haven't been able to visit you for a long time now."

 

"It's okay, Wan-ah." Mrs. Son pats Wendy's head. "We know you've been busy. Your father and I are so proud of you." 

 

Wendy sniffs. "I know I should be the one to visit you but thank you for coming here." She hugs her mother again. "I really missed you." 

 

"Well, you should be thanking Joohyun instead."

 

This surprised Wendy and she looks up to see her mother beckoning Irene to come closer. 

 

"Hi, eomoni, ahbeoji." 

 

Wendy turned to Irene then to her parents. "What does that mean, mom?" 

 

"Joohyun was the one who brought us here." Mrs. Son answered, smiling kindly towards Irene. "She appeared at our doorsteps in Canada two days ago and invited us to go back here with her." 

 

"Wha-" With widened eyes, Wendy looks at Irene. "But I thought you were in the US, Joohyunnie?" Just last week, Irene flew to the US for a business meeting with some investors. 

 

"Yes." Irene grins shyly. "But I managed to close the deal earlier than expected so I booked a flight to Canada and visited your parents. And since your birthday is coming up, I thought that you would be happy to see them here." 

 

Wendy bursts into tears and hugs Irene. 

 

"Hey." Irene rubs Wendy's back. "Why are you crying, Seungwan-ah?" 

 

"You always make me happy, Joohyunnie." 

 

Irene releases the hug and stares at Wendy's eyes. "And I would always gladly do so." 

 

"Oh hey, moms." Yeri walked up to them, interrupting the two. "There's several people here. And both your parents are here. Please behave." 

 

Wendy's parents laugh, making the two girls blush. Irene cleared in embarrassment. "Let's just uh.. Let's start the celebration." 

 

They had a simple birthday celebration for Wendy. The guests all gave a short birthday message for her, followed by dinner and a few intermission numbers. Irene's and Wendy's parents also took this opportunity to get to know each other.

 

"Joohyunnie?" Wendy asked as they watched Seulgi, Joy, and Yeri perform an entertaining number on the stage. "How come you're the only one who didn't give me any birthday message earlier?" 

 

"Ah.. That?" 

 

Wendy nods. 

 

"I'm planning to give you my birthday message later." 

 

Wendy noticed Irene's nervous smile and she was about to comment on it when Joy dragged her to the stage to sing with them. Shaking her head with a smile, Wendy relented. 

 

The celebration ended after almost two hours. Mr. Bae left first to catch the next flight back to China, while Irene's mother and Mr. Cho offered to drive Wendy's parents back to Wendy's apartment. Wendy didn't miss how before leaving, her's and Irene's parents all gave Irene a hug and whispered 'good luck' to the latter. 

 

"So, Wendy and Joohyun unnie, we'll get going now." Seulgi said when only the five of them were left. 

 

"Oh? But I thought we'll have a slumber party at the apartment? Mom said she'll make us midnight snacks." 

 

"Yes, we'll do that, unnie." Yeri answered. "We'll see you back at your apartment."

 

"Why don't we just go back together then?" 

 

The Queens all looked at Irene. 

 

"Uh, well.. Actually, Seungwan.." Irene cleared . "There's somewhere I want to bring you to first." 

 

"Oh, okay." Wendy smiled despite noticing how nervous Irene seemed. 

 

Wendy was then caught off guard when Joy suddenly hugged her. "I wish you all the happiness in this world, unnie. Happy birthday again." 

 

Touched by Joy's sweet words, Wendy smiled at pats her back. "Thank you, Sooyoungie. Thank you." 

 

"Ugh. I'm really excited to see you again later, unnie." Joy commented after the hug. "I can't wait to see your faces." 

 

Wendy frowns. "What do you mean?" 

 

Joy grins. "Oh, nothing, unnie." She then walks towards Irene and hugs the older girl too. "Fighting, unnie." 

 

Irene nods, albeit nervously. 

 

"Okay, let's go girls." Seulgi called out. Not before they went to Joy's car, the three Queens looked back at Irene and grins. 

 

"Joohyun unnie, fighting!" 

 

Feeling weirded out, Wendy turned to Irene. "Uh, what's happening, unnie?" 

 

Irene grabs Wendy's hand. "You'll know soon, Seungwan. Let's go?" 

 

Deciding to trust whatever it is that Irene is planning, Wendy nods and squeezed Irene's hand. "Let's go, Joohyunnie."


 

*

 

"Wait, Joohyunnie. Why are we at the university?" Wendy asked as they got out of Irene's car. It was late at night so the school was already closed but being the daughter of one of its founders, it was not a surprise for Wendy how they could still enter the school premises at this time. 

 

"I told you, I want to take you somewhere."

 

"Uh.. Here inside the campus?" 

 

Irene chuckles and chooses not to answer. Turning on the lights, they walked inside the building and soon, they entered a backdoor which Wendy recognized as the one that leads to the university's auditorium. 

 

Wendy followed Irene inside and after a few more steps, they reached the stage where the grand piano still stays. Wendy had to smile at that. She hasn't been in the university for quite a while now but seeing the piano brings back many memories. She used to practice her singing inside this auditorium before she joined the glee club. 

 

"Here. Sit here, Seungwan-ah." Irene guides her to sit on the piano bench.

 

Wendy obliged and waited for what Irene had to say or do next. 

 

"So, uh.." Irene nervously rubs the back of her neck. "Just stay here." 

 

Without waiting for Wendy's reply, Irene walks away from the stage and towards the audience's seats. She went to the furthest back and sat on one of the chairs. 

 

"Joohyunnie?" Wendy was confused. "Why are you there?" 

 

Even from meters away, Wendy could still see Irene's gentle but nervous smile. 

 

"I'm here.. And I wanted to bring you here.. Because this is where it all started, Seungwan-ah." 

 

"Wha-" Wendy didn't manage to finish her question when realization hit her. Wendy giggles as she remembers what Irene told her before. "Ah. Yes." 

 

"Six years ago.." Irene continued from where she was. "I was here at this very seat, crying because of a heartbreak." She chuckles. "And you were singing your heart out on that stage, being oblivious to your surroundings." 

 

Wendy laughs. 

 

"I could still remember how I felt that day." Irene wore a reminiscing smile. "And it was all.. warmth." 

 

"I wouldn't say that what I felt that day was love already, but that day- that moment- it changed my life."

 

Irene stood up and slowly walked down the stairs, back towards the stage. 

 

"Did you know that I was thinking of booking the first flight I can get to the States during that time? I was thinking of begging Jennie to take me back." Wendy shakes her head while Irene can only laugh at the memories. 

 

"But then I heard you sing." Irene continued, carefully making her way down while her eyes never left Wendy's. "I know you being here that time was just a pure coincidence, but your song.. your voice.. It made me feel comforted. Like, there's someone who cared for me and prayed for me to be happy." Irene chuckles. "That's what your song was about right?" 

 

Wendy nods with a big smile. It amazes her how Irene could still remember that. 

 

"And.. Yeah, that changed everything for me." Irene finally reached Wendy and she held the latter's hand. "Our story started at this auditorium and since then, a lot has happened. I know that we already left the past behind us but sometimes, I still can't help but think of all the pain you've been through because of me." 

 

Wendy squeezed Irene's hand and shook her head. Understanding this, Irene gives a grateful smile. 

 

"I just.. I just feel so lucky and thankful that despite everything that happened, I'm here right now.. with you." Tears suddenly formed in the corner of Irene's eyes. "God, you deserve so, so much more, Seungwan-ah." 

 

Wendy caressed Irene's cheek, brushing the latter's tears. "We deserve each other, Joohyunnie. Remember?" 

 

Irene leans her head into Wendy's touch. She nods her head with a smile. "We do, Seungwan-ah." 

 

Wendy smiled, satisfied at the answer. 

 

"And that is why.." Irene wipes her own tears and clears . "There's.. there's something I'm meaning to ask you, Seungwan." 

 

Wendy raised her brow. She noticed it again, the nervous Irene that she saw earlier at the party. 

 

"Joohyunnie? What's wrong? What is it?" 

 

Irene shakes her head, trying to shake the nervousness away. "None, there's nothing wrong, Seungwan-ah. It's that.." Irene takes a deep breath and stares unfalteringly into Wendy's eyes. 

 

"I love you, Son Seungwan- you, who needs a lot of love, I promise to give it all to you. You're my happiness and I.. I can't imagine my life without you in it." 

 

Wendy could feel hot tears forming in her eyes. Somehow she already knew where this would be going. 

 

"And I know it's your birthday and that I should be the one granting you a wish." Irene continued, reaching for her back pocket. "But just this one time.. could you grant me a wish instead," 

 

She presented Wendy a box with a ring on it. 

 

"-and marry me?" 

 

Happy tears streamed down Wendy's face. She stood up and held the ring on her fingers. "Before I answer that, I have a confession to make." 

 

Irene raised her eyebrow in curiosity. 

 

Wendy chuckles. "Joohyunnie, do you know what I consider to be the best decision I made in my life?" 

 

Confused, Irene shakes her head. 

 

Wendy used her other hand to hold Irene. "I made the best decision of my life.. six years ago, in this auditorium." 


 

Wendy was on her way to her next class when her eyes caught sight of a girl standing still in the corridor, just right outside the university's auditorium. Thinking of it as just an ordinary sight, Wendy continued her way. However, when she was just a few meters away from the said girl, Wendy noticed that the latter's shoulders were shaking, her fists gripping tightly on the sides. 

 

'Is she crying?' 

 

With the crying girl's back facing her, Wendy didn't know and couldn't see who the girl was. But being the kind person that she is, Wendy wanted to approach the girl and maybe comfort her somehow. She walked a few steps more towards the girl when the latter suddenly turned to the auditorium, revealing her side profile to Wendy, making her gasp. She noted the tear-stricken face of the leader of the Queens before Irene Bae entered the auditorium. 

 

'Wait. She- is she- she's the Queen Bae!' 

 

Wendy halted her movement. She knows the Queens' reputation at this school, and she believes that if she wants a quiet life, she must not cross paths with any of them, especially of the Queen Bae herself. 

 

'No. This is bad news, Son Seungwan.' Wendy told herself. 'You must not associate yourself with any of the Queens if you want to graduate peacefully.'

 

Shaking her head, Wendy pushed her thoughts of the Queen away and proceeded to go on her way. 

 

She had just passed the auditorium when Wendy stopped walking again. Somehow, she couldn't shake away the image of Irene Bae crying. 

 

"Ugh! Why do I have to see her like that?" Wendy muttered to herself. "I shouldn't let it bother me though." 

 

Wendy walks again but only a few steps and she stops again. 'Wait. She looks so sad and devastated. What if-' Wendy's eyes widened at her own thoughts. '-what if she decides to do something to herself back there?' 

 

Wendy quickly shakes her head. "No. What am I even thinking? There's no way she would do something like that. And.. Why do I even care anyway?" 

 

Still, Wendy can't seem to move from her place. 'But if she really does something, I was the one to see her last. It would forever haunt me if I don't do anything.'

 

"Ugh!" With a huff, Wendy decided to follow the Queen inside the auditorium. She would just see what the Queen was doing and after making sure that the Queen was not doing anything stupid, Wendy planned to leave immediately. She wants to be as discreet as possible so Wendy decided to enter the backdoor instead, the one leading to the stage. 

 

She walks in carefully inside the dark auditorium, making sure to not make any noise. Wendy had just closed the door when she heard it. Irene Bae was crying her eyes out. Her cries sounded so painful that Wendy wasn't able to move from her place for a while. 

 

"What was making her cry so bad?" Wendy whispered to herself, feeling something stirred within her. The Queen Bae, who is always so full of confidence and holds so much power in her, was crying alone in this dark auditorium. 

 

"Now, what am I gonna do?" With a sigh, Wendy's first thought was just to leave the room. 'I'm sure now that she wouldn't do something bad to herself. She came here so that no one would see her cry. I should just get going instead.'

 

However, her hand only stayed on the doorknob, gripping it tight. 

 

'Should I.. really go?' 

 

Irene's cries echoed once again inside the room. Closing her eyes, Wendy took a deep breath and let her hand fall to the side. She made the biggest decision. She turned around and walked towards the stage instead, where the grand piano is. 

 

'I hope this could somehow comfort you, Irene-ssi.'

 

Hoping to give comfort to the crying girl, Wendy played the piano and sang to Irene for the very first time


 

Irene's eyes were wide as Wendy finished telling her the story. 

 

"Wa- wait.. You mean-" 

 

Wendy nods. "It wasn't just a coincidence that I was here at this auditorium that time, Joohyunnie. I came here and sang that song.. for you." 

 

Tears flowed continuously from Irene's eyes. Her heart felt nothing but happiness and warmth. 

 

"I could have just left." Wendy continued. "But I decided to stay and sing for you. Now, looking back, I could say that that was the best decision I made because, well.. it led me to you. It led us to where we are now."

 

Wendy wipes Irene's tears and smiles. "But now, I think that would be just the second one on my list. Because now, I can say that the best decision I have made-" Wendy wears the ring on her ring finger and showed it to Irene. "-is saying yes to marrying you." 

 

Irene throws herself to Wendy's arms, securing the younger girl in a tight embrace. She sniffed. "Thank you. Thank you, Seungwan-ah." 

 

Wendy, also in tears, hugged Irene just as tight. "Thank you, Joohyunnie." 

 

They stayed in that position for a while until Irene released the hug and cups Wendy's cheeks, staring directly at Wendy's brown orbs. 

 

"I love you, Son Seungwan." With that, Irene kissed Wendy fully on the lips, which the latter reciprocated with such passion. 

 

They were on it for a minute now until Irene felt her phone vibrating. Not wanting to be disturbed with her moment with Wendy, Irene ignored it. Not long after the call dropped, Wendy's phone rang this time. 

 

"Joohyunnie." Wendy whispered in between the kisses. "It.. may be.. important." 

 

"Ugh! Fine." Irene rolled her eyes as their lips parted. "If it's just the girls disturbing us, I swear I'll starve them."

 

Wendy takes her phone and had to laugh out loud when truth to be told, it was Joy who was calling her. 

 

"Ugh! I knew it!" Irene huffs as Wendy answered the call. 

 

"Hello? Sooyoungie?" 

 

"Unnie! Why is Joohyun unnie not answering my call?" 

 

"Well-" 

 

"Oh nevermind. Anyway, unnie. I know I didn't have to ask because I'm sure you've said yes."

 

Surprised, Wendy turned to Irene. 

 

Understanding Wendy's question if the rest of the Queens knew her planned proposal, Irene nods. 

 

"And unnie, I'm really, really happy for you. You know that. We all are." Joy continued from the other line. Wendy was about to reply her thanks when Joy talked again. 

 

"But please, unnie. Don't tell me that you two are doing it somewhere out there while your daughters are waiting for you to be at home." 

 

"Yah! Park Sooyoung!" Irene joined the call. "I don't have-" 

 

"You don't have a daughter like me? Oh geez, whatever, mom." They could picture Joy rolling her eyes at the other end. "So anyway, would you and Wendy unnie please come back here to the apartment already? Eomoni cooked some food to celebrate your engagement and obviously, we can't start eating until the two of you are here." 

 

"You guys just ate at Seungwan's party!" 

 

"That was two hours ago, unnie!" 

 

"And you're already hungry?" 

 

"Well, duh. Ugh. Come on, Joohyun unnie. If you want to make love with Wendy unnie, just show yourselves here first then you two could lock upstairs and do your own thing or whatever."

 

Irene and Wendy's faces instantly blushed at Joy's words. 

 

"Just come back here now. Seulgi unnie will pass out in hunger anytime soon. And Yerim is- Wait. Where's Yerim?" There was shuffling in the background before Joy's voice was heard again. "Goodness. Yerim is slowly losing herself trying to converse in English with your parents, Wendy unnie. She even introduced herself as Katy. Where does she even get that name?" 

 

The two girls couldn't help but laugh at Joy's rambling. 

 

"We got you, Sooyoungie." Wendy answered the call this time. "We'll go home immediately now, okay?" 

 

They heard Joy sigh. "Thank goodness. Go home now, okay. Drive safely, moms." With that, Joy ended the call. 

 

"That girl, really." Irene shakes her head, laughing. 

 

Wendy then remembered something. "Wait, Joohyunnie. Does that mean they all knew that you're planning to propose? Even my parents?" 

 

Irene smiled shyly. "Yeah. I talked to your parents about it when I visited them in Canada, and that's also the reason why I invited your parents here. Well.." Irene grins. "I was hoping you'll say yes and I wanted your parents to be here when we celebrate that moment."

 

Wendy squeezed Irene's hand, grateful for the sweet thought. 

 

"My parents and your company already knew as well."

 

"Wow." Wendy teased. "You already planned this well, huh?" 

 

Irene gave a playful wink. "Of course."

 

Wendy laughs and leans in to give Irene a peck on the cheek. "Thank you, Joohyunnie." 

 

"I told you, I want to and I will make you the happiest." 

 

Wendy gave a wide smile. She intertwined her hand with Irene's. "I really want to kiss you right now but I'm afraid we won't be able to stop if I do. And.. Well, we have to go home now because the kids are waiting." 

 

Irene laughs, lightly slapping Wendy's shoulder in the process. "You're really into this family role-playing thing. Are you?" 

 

"Hm." Wendy laughs and nods. "But seriously, though.. You guys are my family already."

 

Irene squeezed Wendy's hand. "And so are you to us. You know that. Right? You're one of the Queens too."

 

Wendy grimaced playfully. "Can I be a king instead?" 

 

"What?" Irene laughs. "So what are we called now? The King and Queens?" 

 

"Ooh.." Wendy raised a thumbs up. "I like that." 

 

"Fine." Irene chuckles. "My King." 

 

With a satisfied grin, Wendy takes Irene's hand. "Let's get going now then, my Queen." 

 

They leave the place where they first met but unlike their first meeting six years ago, they didn't leave separately and with uncertainties. 

 

This time, they went out of that place hand in hand, a smile plastered on each other's lips and contented hearts as they looked forward to the new chapter of their lives. 

 

Life is still full of uncertainties and unexpected events. But both of them learned a lesson from their past and they know that together, they could surpass whatever life decides to throw at them. 

 

No more lies. No more cowardice. No more holding back. 

 

Instead, Irene and Wendy promised to always try and fight for what they have. 

 

Because after all, they know they deserve each other. 


 

-Fin-

 

--

A/N:

Kkeut! The end! 

Thank you all for reading this story. ☺️ Fun fact: I have this story in my mind way, way back. Actually, I tried writing this story line before for two other ships, but I've always lost the touch to continue. Then, I learned about Wenrene last year (yes, I'm actually a new reveluv 😁) and got hooked with them. So I tried writing this story again, for them this time and finally, I was able to post the story and finish it. 

When I started creating this story in my mind, the main plot was Irene's memory loss. Actually, the very first scene that I imagined when I was planning this story, was the one that happened at the end of chapter 21, when Irene defended Wendy from Jimin, making Wendy realize that Irene's memories are back. I just wrote the first arc of the story because I want to show how the two met and how they fell in love, instead of starting it off with them being a couple already before Irene lost her memory. So yeah, the plot of the story had been planned before I started writing this.

That being said, I know some may have been disappointed with how the story turned out during the last few chapters. I admit it may seem rushed, but that's because like I've said, what will happen and how the story will end had already been planned early on. My only regret for this story is that I should have delivered Irene's side more well to the readers, or maybe I should have just lessened the angst. 😂

Nonetheless, I want to thank you all for your time, for all the comments, votes, and subscribers. This is the very first story I have written (though the second one to post), so I really appreciate the views and comments. 

Finally, I've written this story down and I could already move on from this plot. 😁 Hopefully, I will be able to write another story again but I'm honestly not quite sure about that because I really need a lot of time to write. Another fun fact: I actually started writing this story last year, but I've waited until I have 11 chapters done before I post this so that I could update regularly. If I didn't, I'm probably MIA right now. That's how difficult it is for me to write. 😁

So, I really appreciate all the authors who keep writing stories, most especially those who have completed them. Thank you, author-nims. 👏

Again, thank you for reading this story.

Annyeong!