Chapter 23

My Girl

Wendy thought it's really weird. She has waited for this moment, for Irene's memories to come back on its own. She thought it would make her feel happy and relieved. Yet, when she learned that it finally happened, her emotions were far from what she had expected to feel. 

 

After walking out of the old gym, Wendy's feet dragged her to a deserted playground where she sat on a lone swing, contemplating on her feelings. 

 

What is wrong with me? I should be happy that Joohyun unnie's memories came back. Right? 

 

Wendy heaved a sigh. 

 

But.. Does it change anything though? 

 

Having her memories back doesn't automatically mean that her feelings for me came back as well. 

 

Wendy recalled what Irene answered to her earlier. The Queen had already got her memories back six months ago. Yet, she chose to keep it a secret. Yet, she still went with Jennie to the states. 

 

It didn't change anything. Wendy answered her own question. In fact, it made things even more complicated. 

 

Once again, Wendy let out a sigh. 

 

So where do I stand now? 

 

Wendy was not sure how many minutes had passed until she felt rain drops on her skin. She looked up and saw the dark clouds. Wendy was wearing a jacket so she can use it to cover herself from the rain. But she knows that the girl staying a few meters away from her has only her sweatshirt on. 

 

Upon exiting the school gate earlier, Wendy realized that someone was following her. She didn't need to look back though to know who it was. Wendy was quite relieved though that the older girl was patient, choosing to quietly watch over Wendy from a distance to give the latter the space and time she needed at the moment. 

 

Sighing to herself, Wendy takes off her jacket and walks to where Irene is sitting. She stands close to the Queen and drapes her jacket over to their heads. 

 

"Come on, unnie. Before we're caught up in a heavy rain." 

 

"B-but.. Can we talk, Seungwan?" 

 

Wendy gave a small smile. "Let's talk in the apartment."

 

Irene answered with a relieved nod. 


 

**

 

"So, what do you want to talk about, unnie?" Wendy asked as she sat on the sofa, serving Irene a cup of hot chocolate. 

 

"I'm sorry." Irene answered in an instant. "I'm sorry that I kept this from you." 

 

"Well, I don't think I have a right to question you for keeping it a secret, unnie." Wendy pursed her lips. "I mean, I did the same thing to you." 

 

"Seungwan-" 

 

"I- I'm not implying anything with that, unnie." Wendy immediately clarified, knowing what Irene might be thinking. "I don't intend to mean that you did that to get back at me or what. What I'm just saying is that, I know you have your reasons for doing that. And I understand." She sighs. "I'm- I'm just curious, unnie." 

 

Irene nods. "You can ask me anything, Seungwan." 

 

"W-when are you going to tell us?" Wendy bit her lip. "Or.. Are you.. even planning on telling us?" 

 

"I do, Seungwan." Irene stared into Wendy's eye. "I swear, I do. I'm just- I guess I'm just waiting for the right time." 

 

This made Wendy curious. "When's that right time?" 

 

"I- I'm not sure." Irene answered honestly. "I'm actually still waiting for it." 

 

This made Wendy frown. "I don't understand, unnie." 

 

"That day at the hospital, when- when you told me you're letting me go-" Irene unconsciously grips her cup of hot choco, "-you told me that you don't want to go on anymore. That you needed time." 

 

Wendy gave a short nod. She remembers saying that. 

 

"I'm.. I'm waiting for that time." 

 

Wendy looks confusingly at Irene. Hence, the older girl continued. 

 

"I thought it would be selfish of me and be unfair to you if I told you the truth just when you have already made up your mind to let go." Irene clenched her fist that was resting on her lap. "I don't want to complicate things further and hurt you more than I already have. I wanted to give you the time you said you needed. I was planning to tell you when that time comes but then, this happened."

 

Wendy had no answer to that. It didn't feel right to her that Irene kept the truth from her and she had to find out the truth this way but at the same time, a part of Wendy thinks that what happened was for the better. That day six months ago when she and Irene said their goodbyes, Wendy was already sure about letting go. Irene was right. If she told Wendy then, Wendy would have crumbled again. 

 

Wendy nodded to Irene's explanation. But one thing is still yet to be answered. 

 

"So, uh, what happens now, unnie?" Wendy forced a chuckle and rubbed the back of her neck. "But I guess considering that you're still with Jennie, then-" 

 

"I'm not." 

 

Wendy stopped. "What?" 

 

"Jennie and I.. are no longer together."

 

Wendy had to look away for a moment as she could feel her tears. She cleared and faced Irene once she got control of herself. 

 

"W-what are you saying unnie?" 

 

"I'm-" Irene hesitated as she saw the obvious hurt and confusion in Wendy's eyes. She takes a deep breath and stares at Wendy, knowing that this is her one chance to confess. 

 

"The reason I went with Jennie to the States was to talk to her parents and apologize.. for cancelling the wedding." 

 

This shocked Wendy. "Y-you're not- marrying Jennie?" 

 

Irene shakes her head. "That's my only purpose of coming with her to the US. I just extended my stay there because, well, I know you need time." 

 

"W-what.." Wendy felt confused. Hope came back, but surprisingly, so did the pain. "What does that mean? What do all these things that you're doing mean?" 

 

Irene looked straight into Wendy's eyes. "You're the one that I love, Seungwan-ah." 

 

Oh how Wendy had waited forever to hear those words from Irene. I should be happy. Wendy thought. Yet she couldn't help but let out a bitter smile. 

 

"Because your memories are back.. and so are your feelings?" 

 

"Seungwan.." 

 

"If you haven't regained your memories, will you love me, unnie? Or would you be married to Jennie by now?" 

 

"No." Irene answered instantly. She knows and understands what Wendy might be feeling at the moment. "I love you, Seungwan. And it's not just because my memories are back." 

 

Irene took courage and held Wendy's hand on the table. 

 

"I'm really, really sorry for all the pain I've caused you, Seungwan-ah." Irene was on the verge of tearing up just at the thought of how hurt Wendy must have been. "I know I don't deserve you-" 

 

"Unnie-" 

 

"-but I want to be someone who's deserving of you." Irene's tears finally fell. She squeezed Wendy's hand. "I love you, Seungwan-ah."

 

Wendy wipes Irene's tears with her other hand. "You know how much I love you, unnie. I thought our time apart would change that but, I still love you so much." 

 

"But you're still hurting." Irene continued. She can see it from Wendy's eyes. "I'm really sorry, Seungwan-ah." 

 

Wendy shakes her head and gives a small smile. "It's not your fault, unnie. It's my choice not to tell you the truth, right?" 

 

"And I don't blame you for that too." 

 

Wendy squeezed Irene's hand in return. "Thank you for giving me time, unnie." 

 

"But it's still not enough though. You're still hurting." Irene lowered her head. 

 

Wendy wouldn't deny that and so, she took a moment to herself. A part of her still felt bitter that it took Irene's memory to come back before the older girl could love her again. Yet at the same time, it was all she had wanted and waited for a long time now- for Irene to love her again. And it's clear to her that she is still very much in love with Irene. The two of them wanted the same thing. Wendy felt there's no point in beating around the bushes anymore. 

 

She knows things are still not a hundred percent resolve between them and her feelings over this are still quite conflicted, but when she felt Irene's sincere words, Wendy decided to herself that she could start on that. 

 

"Then let's take it slow this time, unnie." 

 

Surprised, Irene looked up to meet Wendy's shy smile. "A-are you saying that.."

 

"I admit that the pain was too much." Wendy grins, rubbing the back of her head. "Those six months were helpful, but when I saw you again, when I learned that your memories are back, and now that you're telling me these things.. I felt the pain again." 

 

"I'm sor-" 

 

"But-" Wendy stopped Irene. "I couldn't lie to myself. My feelings for you never changed, unnie. It's still you that can make me happy." 

 

"Seungwan.." Irene couldn't help her tears. 

 

Wendy smiles, tears forming on her eyes as well. "We were both hurt. I tried to heal myself for the past six months and yet, the pain is still there. So I'm thinking, this time, let's heal ourselves.. together." 

 

Irene couldn't help it and launch herself into Wendy, hugging the younger girl tight. "Thank you, Seungwan-ah." She sniffed. "I'll do my best to fix us. I would do whatever it takes to take your pain away."

 

Wendy smiled and rubbed Irene's back. "We will do it, unnie. Together." 

 

Irene nods and releases the hug. She cups Wendy's cheek, wiping away the latter's tears in the process. "I'm really sorry, Seungwan-ah." 

 

Wendy shakes her head. "Stop saying sorry, unnie."

 

"God, I love you so much." Irene said instead, looking at Wendy's eyes. 

 

Wendy gave a shy grin. "Now that's what I wanted to hear." Both chuckle at the answer, before Wendy hugs Irene this time. "And I love you too, unnie." 


 

**

 

After the talk with Wendy, Irene went to the university where the rest of the Queens are waiting for her at the Queens' lounge. 

 

"Where's Wendy unnie?" Joy asked. 

 

"At her apartment." Irene answered with a small smile, but it's enough for the girls to read her. 

 

"So I guess everything turned out well, unnie?" 

 

Irene answered Seulgi with a happy nod. "We decided to take it slow though." 

 

"Ugh. Finally!" Yeri exclaimed. 

 

"What does taking it slow even mean?" Seulgi frowns. 

 

"It's like they just got official and are back at the start of their relationship." Joy answered the curious Seulgi. "Like testing the waters, see where it goes, taking it slow. Like that."

 

Yeri rolled her eyes. "Just explain it simply, Sooyoung unnie." The youngest turned to Seulgi and before anyone could question what Yeri meant, the latter answered with a playful glint. "In short, Seulgi unnie, it means- no yet."

 

"Yah, Kim Yerim!" 

 

Seulgi has her eyes widened, while Joy and Yeri are laughing at the red-faced Irene.

 

"Oh, am I wrong, unnie?" Yeri asked, teasing. She then faked a gasp and covered her hand over . "Omo, unnie. Don't tell me you two just got back together and you're already planning to do We-" Yeri stops and fakes a shudder. "Nope. I don't want to imagine it."

 

"Yah!" 

 

"Unnie, you're.. red." Seulgi pointed out innocently, making the maknaes laugh even more. 

 

"Ugh. Whatever." Irene huffs and sits on the couch, arms crossed. 

 

"Unnie, we're just joking." Yeri said, still on the verge of laughing. 

 

"Yeah, fine, fine." Irene shakes her head. She couldn't find it in herself to be mad at them for real though. Especially, since she's feeling so happy right now to be mad at anything. Just the thought of Wendy and her getting back together is enough to bring a goofy smile to her face. 

 

The three girls noticed this, and it made them smile too. 

 

"Unnie?" 

 

Irene turned to Joy, who was giving her a gentle smile.

 

"We're really happy for you and Wendy unnie." 

 

Seulgi nods with her typical eye smile, while Yeri gives Irene a thumbs up. 

 

Irene returned their smiles. Just then, she remembered something. "Wait. How did you guys know that I already got my memory back?" 

 

The three girls looked at each other. 

 

"And don't deny it." Irene added. "I saw your faces earlier. Unlike Seungwan, you three weren't shocked with the news." 

 

Yeri throws both hands in the air. "We weren't even going to deny it anyway." She then gestured towards Joy. "But it was Sooyoung unnie who noticed it first." 

 

Irene turned to Joy, curious. 

 

"Unnie, remember that day we went to my bar to celebrate Wendy unnie's showcase, and you offered to get us wine?" Joy started. "You haven't been there yet since you've lost your memory so it was expected that you'll be unfamiliar with the place. But at that time, you were so sure where the wines were. You didn't even hesitate or needed to look around. You just went straight to the wine's cabinet. And not to mention, you even got the same wine that we tried the first time we were there, saying that it was good."

 

"Oh." Irene was surprised. "I didn't realize."

 

"I found it weird that time." Joy chuckles. "However, I also know that it's possible that it could be just a coincidence, so I tried not to dwell too much on it. But, your words the next day confirmed my suspicion."

 

Irene raised her eyebrow. "What do you mean?" 

 

"I told you that we should go on vacation, right, unnie? And that I think it's a good idea to cruise. So I asked you how it feels like to cruise, and you said it was fun. But, unnie, you-" 

 

"I have only been on a cruise once." Irene answered, chuckling to herself at her slip. 

 

"Yup." Yeri chirped in. "The first and only time you've been to a cruise was with Wendy unnie, during your anniversary." 

 

"But of course, unless it comes from your own mouth, we couldn't really 100% confirm it, unnie." Joy grins. "So, we came up with the scenario earlier." 

 

"Scenario?" Irene frowns. "What are you-" Her eyes widened. "Wait. You mean to say that what happened earlier at the old gym was your plan all along?" 

 

Three pairs of eyes looked at Irene guiltily, each of their hands forming a 'peace' sign. 

 

"Ugh." Irene rolled her eyes. "I knew it was odd that you guys still waited for me to come here before barging in already to where Seungwan was."

 

Yeri chuckles. "Sorry, unnie. But we had no choice. You were leaving again, so we had to act fast." 

 

That reminded Irene of her thoughts to just run away. She shakes her head disapprovingly. "I really did become a coward then, huh?" 

 

"And it was really frustrating to watch, unnie." The comment came unexpectedly from Seulgi. 

 

Irene laughs. "It must have really been, for you to say it." 

 

"Yes it was, unnie. Oh my goodness." Yeri exclaimed dramatically. 

 

Irene wonders to Wendy. "I guess I was scared that I'll just hurt Seungwan again. That's- that's what I fear the most." 

 

"We know, unnie." Joy pats Irene's shoulder. "But I'm sure you already know by now that it's you, and still only you, who could make Wendy unnie happy again." 

 

"I do." Irene nodded and gave a bright smile. "Thanks, guys. Really." 

 

"Ey, don't mention it, unnie. Just be happy with Wendy unnie, and we're good." 

 

Once again, Irene nods at Joy's words. "I'll make her the happiest." 


 

**


 

"Wendy-ssi!" 

 

Wendy was on her way home when someone called her as she was about to exit the university's premises. She turned back and saw Jimin jogging up to her. 

 

"Oh, hi, Jimin-ssi." Wendy greeted and allowed Jimin to catch her breath first.  

 

"I'm uh- actually meaning to talk to you but we haven't got the chance to cross paths again after last week."

 

"Is there a problem?" Wendy frowns in concern. 

 

"No, none." Jimin chuckles. "I just want to apologize for what we did last week." 

 

"Ah, that." Wendy shakes her head with a smile. "You don't have to apologize for that. The girls told me that it was all their plan and that they asked for your help."

 

"Well, yeah. But still-" 

 

"I should be thanking you instead." Wendy interrupted. "I mean, you really didn't have to do that, considering what might have happened if things got out of hand." 

 

"Like Queen Bae breaking my bones?" Jimin laughs. 

 

"Yah, she wouldn't go that far." 

 

"Oh, Wendy-ssi, didn't you see how her eyes were burning fire that time? Queen Bae was so ready to hurt anyone just to protect you." Jimin chuckles. 

 

Wendy blushed, though she knows that the thought of Irene in a physical fight was not something she should be blushing about. She cleared . 

 

"So the more reason you shouldn't have acted that way." 

 

Jimin laughs. "It's okay. The Queens made sure that you would be able to stop Queen Bae anyway. And besides," Jimin rubs the back of her neck. "-I told you before that I owe you one, right?" 

 

Wendy remembered their conversation at the music room before. She smiled. "Thank you, Jimin-ssi." 

 

"Well, at least I don't owe you anything anymore." 

 

Wendy chuckles. "Yeah. You could sleep peacefully at night again." 

 

This made Jimin laugh. 

 

"But uh.. I'm really sorry for all the things I did before, Wendy-ssi." 

 

Wendy smiled and extended her hand towards Jimin. "Friends?" 

 

"That would be good." Jimin returned the smile and the handshake. "Oh by the way, did we go overboard with the act last week? Did we hurt you somewhere?" 

 

Wendy shakes her head. "I'm good. Though I have to say, you guys are good actresses. I was really trying hard not to show my fears." Wendy laughs.

 

"Nah. You're a really tough one, you know." Jimin squinted her eyes playfully. 

 

"Uh.. It's a compliment. Isn't it?" Wendy grins. 

 

Jimin laughs. "It is. You were a real challenge back then." 

 

"Wow, than-" 

 

"Seungwan." 

 

The two were interrupted when Irene suddenly showed up beside Wendy. 

 

"Oh, unnie." Wendy frowns as she sees beads of sweat on Irene's forehead, coupled with how the latter is trying to normalise your breathing. "Are you okay, unnie? Did you run here?" 

 

"I'm fine." Irene dismissed Wendy's worry and gently pulled Wendy behind her. "Are you okay, Seungwan?" 

 

Irene's question was for Wendy yet her eyes were glaring at Jimin. Wendy noticed this and let out a soft chuckle. She grabs Irene's arm and moves beside the older girl instead. 

 

"Unnie, I'm fine. Jimin and I were just talking."

 

Irene turned to Wendy. "Are you sure?" 

 

"Hm." Wendy nodded happily. "In fact, we're friends now. Aren't we, Jimin?" 

 

"Uh, yeah." Jimin bowed her head, unable to meet Irene's piercing gaze. 

 

"Unnie." Wendy nudged Irene's shoulder, chuckling. "It's rude to glare." 

 

Irene nods. "Oh, right. I was just worried. Sorry Jimin-ssi." 

 

That obviously shocked Jimin. She looks up at Irene with an obvious blush on her cheeks. "N-no. Don't apologize, Queen. A-and you.. you c-called me b-by my name, Q-queen Bae." 

 

"Uhh, yes?" Irene raised her eyebrow, confused if there's  something wrong with what she said. 

 

"O-Omo!" Jimin covered with both hands. There were even happy tears in her eyes. "I-I think I could die right now! T-thank you so much, our Queen!" 

 

"What?" Even more confused, Irene turned to the smiling girl beside her. "What did I do?" She whispered. 

 

Still smiling to herself, Wendy pats Jimin's arm, the latter obviously still in her own world. "We'll get going now, Jimin." 

 

Jimin nodded absentmindedly, eyes in a dreamy state. 

 

"What's wrong with her?" Irene asked once they were away from Jimin. 

 

Wendy chuckles. "You just made her the happiest girl right now, unnie." 

 

"What? No! That can't be. Ugh!" 

 

"Unnie? What's wrong? It's a good thing though." Wendy asked, surprised by Irene's outburst. 

 

"It's not a good thing, Seungwan-ah. Why would I even make her the happiest?" 

 

"Well, she's your fan and-" 

 

"But, I only want and intend to make you the happiest." 

 

"Oh." Wendy felt heat crept up her face. Feeling swooned with Irene's words, she held Irene's hand and intertwined it with her own. "You already did, unnie." 

 

Irene shakes her head and squeezes Wendy's hand on her. "I can do more. I want to do more." 

 

"Unnie, you don't-" 

 

"Seungwan." Irene stopped walking and faced Wendy, taking the latter's free hand too. "I want to. So, please just let me?" 

 

Irene was pouting and Wendy was sure the older girl was doing it unconsciously, making it even cuter in Wendy's eyes. 

 

How can I say no to this face? Wendy smiled to herself. 

 

"Okay. You can do whatever you want, unnie." She then brushed the dark circles forming below Irene's eyes. "But make sure to take care of yourself too, unnie. If you have free time, you should just use it to rest rather than driving me off everywhere I need to be." 

 

"I'm resting enough, Seungwan." 

 

Wendy narrowed her eyes. She knew better. "Oh, so that means you're done with your work today and you'll go home after you drop me off at the company?" 

 

"W-well, I have yet to finish some papers so I'll go back to the office once I drive you off. A-and you know the drill, Seungwan-ah, I need to bring you home to your apartment first before I go home." 

 

Wendy raised her eyebrow at Irene, as if she had just proved her point. 

 

Irene saw the look and let out a defeated sigh. "Fine. But I swear I'm not pushing myself too much. I just want to take care of you well." 

 

This made Wendy smile and she couldn't help but leans in and plants a soft kiss on Irene's cheeks. "Thank you, Joohyunnie."

 

Irene smiles sheepishly as her cheeks are tainted pink. She held hands with Wendy as they continued their walk towards her car. "Joohyunnie?" 

 

"Hm." Wendy nods excitedly. "Short for Joohyun unnie." 

 

Irene laughs. "Why? You don't want to call me just 'unnie'?" 

 

"Well, as your girlfriend," Wendy blushed at this, "I thought that I want to try and call you by your real name too." 

 

"Oh, okay." Irene chuckles. "But I remember telling it to you before, right? That it's okay if you just call me 'Joohyun'?" 

 

"Well, yeah, but.. I don't know, it still sounds disrespectful to me." Wendy laughs. "But Joohyun unnie is too long so I thought I'll just shorten it." She turned to Irene. "You like it, Joohyunnie?" 

 

Irene gives a big smile and nods. "I like it." 

 

"Great." Wendy grins. "Oh and Joohyunnie, since it's the weekend tomorrow, I'm thinking of dinner at the apartment later? I'll cook."

 

Irene nods. "I love that."


 

**


 

"Joohyunnie.. wake up." 

 

After their dinner, Wendy forces Irene to take a rest on the sofa while she's cleaning up the table. She just took a couple of minutes but when she went back to the living room, Irene was already snoring lightly. I guess she was really tired. Wendy thought to herself, chuckling. So she lets Irene take a nap first, but it's already been an hour and Irene is still fast asleep. Worried that the older girl will have back pain, Wendy decided to wake Irene up. 

 

"Joohyunnie.." 

 

Irene groans lightly. 

 

Cute. Wendy smiled to herself. "Unnie, if you're too tired to drive back, you could just stay the night here. But at least sleep on the bed. It's not comfortable to sleep here." 

 

Still with her eyes closed, Irene scoots farther and pats the space beside her. Understanding what Irene wants, Wendy chuckles and lies down beside Irene. Once she felt the younger girl's body beside her, Irene snuggled close to the crook of Wendy's neck, an arm draped on the latter's waist. 

 

"Now this is comfortable." Irene whispered drowsily. "Let's take a nap first, Seungwan-ah." She snuggled closer. "You're warm. Always been warm." 

 

Hugging Irene back, Wendy closed her eyes with a contented smile. "Nap, it is." 

 

Wendy was woken up by the ringing of the door bell. She first scans her surroundings and notices that it was already sunny outside. Her eyes widened. It's morning already? 

 

Wendy tried to move and that's when she felt the presence of another body beside her. She looks down to see the still asleep Irene, snuggling close against her chest. This view made Wendy smile. 

 

"I want to always wake up like this." Wendy mumbled to herself while admiring Irene's features. 

 

She spends a few more minutes just staring at Irene's face, totally forgetting about checking who's ringing the doorbell so early. 

 

"Seungwan?" Irene suddenly spoke, eyes still closed. "As much as I appreciate your loving stares, can you please get the door already? The constant doorbell makes my ears hurt." 

 

Wendy gasps in shock and almost falls on the floor if not for Irene's tight hold against her back. Irene finally opens her eyes and looks up to meet Wendy's. 

 

"Goodmorning, my Seungwan-ah." 

 

Wendy blushed hard. "S-since when were you awake, unnie? D-did you hear w-what I said a while ago?" 

 

Irene raised her brow. "Hm?" 

 

Wendy silently exhales in relief. "Oh, nothing, nothing, Joohyunnie. I'll go get the door now. It's probably just the mailman. I'm expecting a package from my parents so-" 

 

Wendy stood and was about to walk towards the door when Irene grabbed her waist, making Wendy sit back on the sofa. Irene sat up too and stared at Wendy's eyes. "Seungwan?" 

 

"Y-yes, Joohyunnie?" 

 

"I want to always wake up with you too." Irene gave a gentle smile, then a playful wink. 

 

"Y-yah, unnie!" Wendy felt her cheeks getting red at being caught. She pouts. "Why do you always pretend that you're still asleep?" 

 

"I don't." Irene shrugs. "You just assume that I'm still asleep because my eyes are still closed."

 

Wendy rolls her eyes. "Ugh. Whatever." She walks towards the door, leaving a laughing Irene behind. 


 

**

 

Irene stayed till lunch time and only left when she got an emergency call from their company. Irene assured Wendy afterwards that everything's in control but she needs to stay at the company for a few more hours to check everything. 

 

Wendy was watching a movie when her doorbell rang. Thinking that it was already Irene, she opened the door immediately with a smile, but her lips soon turned into a straight line when she saw who it was. 

 

"Oh. Jennie-ssi?" 

 

"Hi, Wendy-ssi." Jennie greets awkwardly. "I uh, I'm sorry for the unexpected visit. I'm just hoping that we could talk before I leave?" 

 

Wendy had almost forgotten that Jennie came back to Korea with Irene a month ago. This is the first time that she met Jennie though since they came back. 

 

"You're leaving?" 

 

Jennie nods. "I've settled everything that needs to be settled here so, I'm going back to the States. And uh, it's really for good this time. So I'm hoping you could give me a chance to talk with you?" 

 

"Oh, uhm, s-sure." Wendy opens the door wide and invites Jennie in. 

 

Jennie mutters a soft 'thank you' before she sits on the sofa. 

 

"Do you want some snacks?" 

 

Jennie smiles and shakes her head. "I'm good. Thank you, Wendy-ssi." 

 

Wendy nods and takes a seat too. "So, what do you want to talk about?" 

 

"I came here to apologize, Wendy-ssi." Jennie started. "I know my actions caused you a lot of pain and though it was your decision not to tell Joohyun the truth about your relationship, I shouldn't have taken advantage of that, or of Joohyun's accident. I'm sorry." 

 

"I know nothing could justify what I did but, I just love Joohyun so much that I became greedy. I even rushed my proposal to her because I was afraid that I could lose her again to you anytime." Jennie gave a sad smile. "Yet, it still happened. I lost her to you." 

 

Wendy sighs. She may not understand Jennie but she knew where she was coming from. So, Wendy decided to give her forgiveness. "I guess I was just lucky, you know." 

 

Curious, Jennie waited for Wendy to continue. 

 

"It could have been any of us." Wendy answered, an accepting smile on her face. "It was just fortunate for me that she regained her memory and so, we're back together again." 

 

Jennie frowns. "What?" 

 

"Well, I mean.. If Joohyun unnie didn't remember our past at all, she would still be with you right now. So uh, yeah. I guess I was just lucky." 

 

"Wait." There was confusion in Jennie's voice. "You think that Joohyun came back to you just because her memories came back?" 

 

Wendy nods, unsure why Jennie seems lost about it. 

 

"You mean Joohyun didn't tell you?" 

 

Now this confused Wendy too. "Tell me what?" 

 

"That she's in love with you." 

 

"She did. Just a month ago, when she confessed that her memories came back too." 

 

Jennie shakes her head. "What I meant was before she regained her memories." 

 

Wendy frowns. "No. B-but why would she? You two are still together at that time, right?" 

 

"Goodness." Jennie facepalmed herself. "So Joohyun didn't tell you, huh." 

 

"I- I don't understand, Jennie-ssi." Wendy was becoming more and more confused. "What do you mean?" 

 

Jennie sighs. "Joohyun and I have already broken up even before your accident, meaning, before she recalled her memories." 

 

"B-but the two of you still came together during our glee club championship." 

 

"Yes. But that's because I don't want to waste the ticket that your friends got for me. But we had already broken up by then. In fact, we broke up a day before that." 

 

"But- after the championship, she told me she'll go with you to the States." 

 

Jennie gave an awkward chuckle. "She decided to go with me because she wants to apologize to my parents personally, you know, for cancelling the wedding. She was hoping to fix everything for a couple of days then she'll come back here to be with you.  That's her plan. I think she was supposed to tell you that during that night. But I guess your accident happened so she wasn't able to talk with you about it."

 

Wendy couldn't believe her ears. "Wait, but.. W-Why did you two break up?" 

 

Jennie let out a gentle but sad smile. "Because Joohyun was already in love with someone else." 



 

"Hyun?" Jennie knocked on Irene's room. "Uhm, can I come in?" 

 

"It's okay, come in." 

 

Jennie went inside Irene's room to find the latter staring absentmindedly to what was being shown at the TV. 

 

"What brings you here?" Irene glanced at Jennie. 

 

"Well, we haven't seen each other since you've been discharged from the hospital, and you're not answering my calls either." 

 

"Oh." Irene gets her phone at the night stand and true enough, there were a bunch of unanswered calls and texts. "Sorry. I've been busy." 

 

It was obviously a lie though, but Jennie didn't argue. Instead, she sat beside Irene. "Are you still mad that I lied to you, Hyun?" 

 

Realizing that they will finally be talking about it, Irene turns off the TV and faces the guilty looking Jennie. She sighs. "I was. But there's no point getting mad over it now. I think I just need more time."

 

"B-but.. We're still together." Jennie gulps. "Right?" 

 

Irene chose not to answer.

 

"Hyun- actually, I came over to tell you something." Jennie let out a deep breath. "My parents wanted me to go back to the US to manage our branch there. And.. It's for good. So, uh, I'm- I'm thinking if you would want to leave with me there? We could get married there and-" 

 

"Jennie-" Irene interrupted. "I- actually intend to talk to you about it."

 

"Wh- what's wrong, Hyun?" 

 

Irene lowered her head. "I'm so confused right now, Jennie-ah."

 

If Jennie was to be honest, she has seen this coming already. In fact, she was even surprised that Irene brought this up only now. So Irene's words didn't come as a surprise anymore, although, it still hurts just the same. 

 

"It's because of Wendy-ssi. Isn't it?" 

 

"Learning the truth about who she is in my life has nothing to do with this." 

 

"I know." Jennie nods. "Because this has already been going on even before you found out the truth. Right?" 

 

Irene kept mum at that. 

 

"I know that you were always looking for her." Jennie continued. "Even though you're with me, you're constantly looking for her presence." Jennie chuckled inspite of herself. "And your jealousy over Wendy and Sooyoung is already a given, Hyun-ah. You really can't hide your jealousy, you know." 

 

"Also, that night at the cabin.. When your friends told you the truth about Wendy, you were almost pleading for it not to be true. Not because you don't want Wendy to be your girlfriend. But because you're afraid that if it's the truth, then you have unknowingly hurt her big time. And that's what you were worried the most- to know that you have hurt her. Because the truth is, you already have feelings for her." 

 

Jennie held Irene's arm. "I'm right. Aren't I, Hyun?" 

 

"I.. I tried to deny it." Irene clenched her fist. "I knew what those feelings meant, but I never paid attention to it. I denied all those feelings to myself. I tried to ignore all those feelings because I have you. And I don't want to cheat on you, I don't like you to feel that I cheated on you." 

 

​​​​​​"Hyun.. I'm sorry." 

 

Irene chuckled bitterly. "I guess I was to blame too. I should've been more honest with myself instead of denying all these feelings." 

 

"Then stop already. Now that the truth is out, there's no point denying what you really feel." 

 

Irene raised her brow at Jennie's answer. "What are you saying?" 

 

Tears fell down Jennie's eyes yet she chose to smile. "How could I compete with someone who managed to win your heart, twice, in a different situation?" Jennie wipes away her tears. "Let's break up." 

 

Irene felt guilty, after all, Jennie will always be her first love. She wipes Jennie's tears. 

 

"I'm sorry, Jennie-ah." 



 

**

 

Irene parked her car at their garage and checked her phone. She texted Wendy when she left the office but until now, the latter has no reply. Thinking that Wendy might be taking a nap, Irene shrugs it off and decides to call Wendy at a later time if the younger girl would still not respond to her messages. 

 

She entered their mansion and was greeted by their buttler. "Good evening, Miss Irene. Miss Wendy was waiting for you in the living room." 

 

"Oh. Seungwan?" 

 

"Yes, Miss Irene. She arrived here an hour ago." 

 

Irene frowns. If Wendy made a sudden visit and was not answering her texts, it may mean that something was wrong. Worried, Irene rushed towards the living room where Wendy was quietly sitting. 

 

"Seungwan." 

 

Upon seeing Irene, Wendy immediately lunged herself towards the older girl, hugging her tight. 

 

Irene was surprised by the action but secured her arms around Wendy's back. "Is everything okay?" 

 

Irene felt Wendy nod. "I love you so much, Joohyunnie." 

 

"I love you too, Seungwan-ah." Irene tightened her hold on Wendy. After a few seconds, Irene releases the hug and observes Wendy. "Is something on your mind?" 

 

Wendy didn't answer and Irene took it as a yes. She tugged Wendy's hands. "Come on. Let's talk about it upstairs." 

 

"So, what happened, Seungwan-ah?" They went inside Irene's room and sat on the bed, with Irene holding Wendy's hand. 

 

"Jennie dropped by earlier, and we had a talk." Wendy answered softly. 

 

"Jennie?" For all Irene knows, she and Jennie ended up on good terms so she was quite sure that the latter won't do anything to ruin her relationship with Wendy. But, if in case that she did, then Irene won't let it pass. "What did she say?" 

 

Wendy lowered her head, as if guilt was eating her up. "She told me about your break up.. and about your feelings for me.. even before you regained your memory." 

 

"Oh." 

 

"Why didn't you tell me?" 

 

Irene gave a small smile. "I think I have known already that I have growing feelings for you, long before that night in Gangwon-do. But I was stubborn to act on it, because I have Jennie. And since I believe that she's still my girlfriend, I really didn't want to hurt her. So I ignore and deny whatever feelings I have of you, as if I don't even want to consider it."

 

"I guess that's why I was so confused when I learned the truth. Because for a while, I've been telling myself that I don't know what I feel, that I don't have feelings for you. And then, knowing the truth changed all that." 

 

"When I've finally learned the truth, it really hurt me. One, because I felt like I was lied to by the people I trust the most." 

 

"Joohyunnie-" 

 

"Two, and what hurts me the most is when I realized how much I've hurt you." Irene smiled, a bit sadly. "That's why I told you I need the time. That time, I'm more confused about how to go on with my feelings. How would I approach you? Will I still be worthy of you?" 

 

Wendy squeezed Irene's hand, silently giving her the answer. Irene smiled at that. 

 

"That talk with Jennie made me realize that things might have been different if I just became honest to myself, instead of denying all those feelings."

 

"I was going to tell you how I really feel for you, Seungwan." Irene continued. "Remember that night after your championship? I told you I need to talk to you about something important. I was planning to confess then. But unfortunately, the accident happened and when I woke up, my memories were back. And again, it changed everything." 

 

Wendy couldn't help but cry. She felt somewhat guilty. " I'm sorry, Joohyunnie. "

 

"Hey," Irene lifts Wendy's chin to see the girl better. "Why are you apologizing?" 

 

"I love you, Joohyunnie. And after all that happened, it didn't change." Wendy looks up to meet Irene's worried eyes. "It's- It's just that.. Since we got back together, I've always thought that you're just with me because your memories came back. Because if it did not, you're probably still with Jennie now. And- and that thought makes me hold back a little." Wendy grips Irene's hand on her. "Because of that, I've been holding back and weren't giving you my all. And I.. I feel so guilty about it." 

 

Irene looks at Wendy gently and cups her cheeks. "I'm not expecting you to give your all, Seungwan. I don't even want you to give your all."

 

Irene brushes Wendy's cheek with her thumb. "I just want you to love me and to give me another chance. And you did. It's more than enough for me." 

 

"But- that's not how it works." 

 

"You have already given your all, Seungwan-ah. Maybe even more. And because of that, you got hurt a lot." Irene gave a sad, guilty smile. "That is why this time, I want you to leave something for yourself. And please don't feel guilty about it? It's nothing compared to what I did." 

 

"Joohyunnie-" 

 

"But please don't think that I'm just here because of my memories." Irene chuckles to lighten up the mood. "I love you not because my memories are back. I love you because that is what I feel for you." Irene smiles gently at Wendy. "Unders-" 

 

Irene wasn't able to finish her words as Wendy claimed her lips. Though surprised at first, Irene found herself melting into the kiss and returned it with the same intensity. 

 

The two only pulled back when air was needed, and Irene was surprised to see tears in the corner of Wendy's eyes. 

 

"Seungwan, why are you crying?" She asked, brushing Wendy's tears. 

 

Irene was relieved to hear Wendy's giggle. "You're crying too, unnie." 

 

Wendy wipes Irene's tears and that's only when the latter felt that she was crying indeed. 

 

"Oh. I didn't realize." Irene answered with a chuckle. 

 

Wendy brushed Irene's cheek. "I just can't believe that you're finally here with me again, Joohyunnie." 

 

Irene leaned in to Wendy's touch while giving a guilty smile. "I'm really sorry for everything, Seungwan-ah." 

 

Wendy dismissed it with a shake of her head. "The important thing is that you're her now, with me. And I would gladly go through it all again if it means I can have you like this." 

 

"No." Irene squeezed Wendy's hand. "Please don't think that it's okay for you to get hurt just so you can have me. I want you to prioritise your happiness this time, Seungwan-ah." 

 

"Hm." Wendy nods. "That's why I'm prioritising you, Joohyunnie." 

 

"No, that's-" Irene stopped as Wendy's words sinked in, followed by the younger girl's wide grin. "Ugh. Too greasy, Seungwan-ah!" 

 

Wendy laughs, and Irene couldn't help but stare. The sound of Wendy's laughter is like music to her ears. The image of Wendy being happy like this is already enough to make her heart swell in happiness. 

 

"Joohyunnie?" 

 

Wendy's worried tone pulled Irene out of her thoughts. She then felt Wendy brushing something on her cheeks. 

 

"You're crying again. Are you okay?" 

 

"I'm just so happy, Seungwan-ah." Irene answered with a soft smile, with happy tears constantly flowing from her eyes. She hugs Wendy tight. "Thank you, thank you, thank you." 

 

Wendy rubs Irene's back. "It was all worth it, Joohyunnie." 

 

Irene pulls from the hug and meets Wendy's teary ones. 

 

"You are worth everything." 

 

With her heart soaring with love and joy, Irene captures Wendy's lips, which the younger girl welcomed as she deepened the kiss. 

 

They poured every 'I'm sorry', every 'thank you', and every love they have for each other that night. 






--

A/N: I've just read all the comments and I think a lot would not like this chapter. Haha. Sorry for how the story turned out. 🙏 I already have written this chapter before I post the previous one so this is how I'm really planning to end the story. This chapter turned out this way because personally, I believe that Irene's reason for leaving despite remembering everything is valid. But reading the comments, I realized that you guys have a point and I understand why most of you are against them getting back together. 😁 So I apologize if this chapter would disappoint you. Haha. Anyway, I really don't want to drag this story longer because things have been busy around lately and I may not be able to write on time and finish this story if I drag this longer so, I continued with the story as planned. 

Thank you for all the comments, and I hope you could still enjoy this one. Next week is the final chapter. See you.