CHAPTER 6

Unexpectedly

Chapter 6


“What got you so late, Jaehyun?” Yoori asked. She was now seated more comfortably on the chair, she had one foot on the chair, raising one of her knees up to her chest.

Jaehyun looked at Yoori silently for a second before talking, “The professor was peeved. He didn’t like the most of the outputs so he made us all redo what we submitted.” He stretched out the tired on his shoulder.

“I bet you didn’t really need to redo it, you were just there because you were caught in the mess.” Taeyong commented as he took a small sip of the vodka concoction Yuta had made.

Jaehyun also took a drink, “Shut up, I improved my work too of course.” He laughed and suddenly downed the whole cup.

Even Yuta looked bewildered at what Jaehyun had just done but he was more than happy to refill the now empty red cup.

The conversations among the five of them went through the normal topics like why you they decided on their major; which actors you think is more good-looking; some movies; and who the ate all the potato chips. By 11:15PM, Yuta was on a whole other level of unruly; being all clingy with Youngho, saying that he’s his friend now too and Youngho should treat him like that as well. Youngho just kept smiling and nodding but still somehow kindly reciprocated Yuta’s gestures. The two just kept laughing too.

Yoori and Taeyong were still calm and level-headed despite the steady flow of alcohol through them. They just kept the conversations going and made sure Yuta wouldn’t hurt anyone after he had banged his head against Yoori’s a few minutes before. Jaehyun was the one flushing down the hard liquor like it was water. He would not stop. He answered and added to the conversations sometimes but he mainly just downed cup after cup.

Taeyong gave Yoori a look and she knew what would come next. It was time to call it a night. Yuta got all pouty and childish when Yoori and Taeyong were trying to break off the drinking session. Youngho tried to help calm Yuta down too.

“Come on, smart . It’s time to go back to the apartment.” Taeyong tried assisting Yuta who was still being very unruly with his hands all over the place. “in’ lightweight. Come on.” Taeyong giggled.

Yoori looked at Jaehyun and just knew that this guy will not be able to walk a straight line. He was swaying slightly and constantly rubbing his eyes. He was wiped. She then turned to check on Youngho who seemed fine as he was still standing straight without any trouble.

“Come on, I’ll try to get you home too, Youngho.” Yoori said to Youngho as she was already trying to sling Jaehyun’s arm over her shoulder.

Youngho looked solemn at the sight and smiled to himself, “God, I wish I was a lightweight too.” He thought to himself.

“It’s fine.” He answered rather brightly, “You’ve got your hands full. I can take a cab home. It’s not that far.” He happily replied as he also tried assisting Jaehyun up and get them all to the elevator.

“Yoori, can you handle Jaehyun?” Taeyong bellowed to check on his cousin even as he battled with Yuta’s flailing arms.

“Y-yeah, I got help too.” Yoori said and looked at Youngho as if saying thanks.

The bunch reached their floor and only the 4 roommates stepped off while Youngho went straight to the ground floor after saying their goodbyes before the elevator door closes.

“I’ll see you Monday, Youngho!” Yoori waved actively.

“Thanks for coming!” Taeyong added.

The two drunks made inaudible groans as well.

Youngho waved back and the doors between them closed.

“What the , Jaehyun?! Why’d you drink so much?!” Yoori complained as she tried heaving the man with her to their apartment door. She felt so close to Jaehyun because they were obviously physically very close, the tip of Jaehyun’s nose would sometimes brush against the side of Yoori’s head. That’s how close they were.

Jaehyun just groaned, probably from the spinning in his head.

“Stop flailing your stupid arms!” Taeyong scolded Yuta for the fourth time.

“YOU stop flailing your arms!” Yuta answered with a laugh.

Once the cousins managed to get into their apartment, Taeyong had to talk to Yoori without looking at her, “I’ll get Yuta to his room before he hurts someone. I’ll try to get him to bed. Can you do the same with Jaehyun?”

“Yeah! I got it, go!” Yoori replied over her shoulder.

“Come on, let’s get you to bed.” Yoori said to her roommate.

“Yeah, that sounds good…” he muttered with a dumb smile plastered across his face.

Yoori enters Jaehyun’s room for the second time in her life. The first one was when she needed to ask him something and Jaehyun let her in because he was preoccupied in his things too. He didn’t really mind her coming inside, but Yoori felt weird coming inside tonight. Jaehyun’s room was really neat and his bookshelf was the only one absolutely full unlike the other tenants’. “He’s such a nerd.” Yoori mumbled to herself.

Yoori slumped Jaehyun onto his bed where he instantly curled up into a ball. Looking at him now, Yoori thought that he seemed so small and fragile after all. She sighed and put her hands on her waist, “Why did you drink yourself to hell like this? I think you drained 2 bottles of vodka on your own.” She wiped her face after saying the last part.

“Because of you.”

Yoori heard him answer her rhetorical question.

“Excuse me? When did I tell you to drink so much?” she almost laughed as she towered over the other guy.

Jaehyun still hadn’t faced Yoori. His face was half-buried in his pillow. “I wanted your attention….” He managed a groaning answer as his eyes closed. He breathed deeply as if about to go to sleep now.

Yoori just blinked at his answer, but while she had him answering her questions, she decided to ask again, “Why did you want my attention, Jaehyun?”