CHAPTER 5

Unexpectedly

Chapter 5


The rest of the week flew rather quickly and without another dead specimen for that matter. It was Friday and the 4 of them are about to go home.

“We should have a drink to celebrate finishing our first week at university.” Yuta said to Taeyong as the 2 of them were already walking home.

Jaehyun was still in class and Yoori was finishing up in hers.

“Fine, go tell the others we’ll bring the stuff to the rooftop of the building. I hear they allow the tenants to do that as long as there’s no trouble.” Taeyong agreed to Yuta’s offer and headed to the nearest liquor store to stock up.

“Drinks at the rooftop when you get home!” Yuta’s text to Yoori said.

“Oooh,” Yoori silently celebrated to herself.

Youngho sat beside her as he was gathering his things as well, “Someone’s happy.” He commented.

Yoori turned to Youngho and spoke, “Wanna go drink with my roommates? It’ll be fun!”

The offer took Youngho by surprise as he just blinked, thinking of something to say, “Uh....”

“Come on! I’ll be going now anyway, plus I get to brag that I made a new friend while none of them did hehe.” She innocently pursued.

Youngho saw her naïve smile and couldn’t help but smirk too, “Sure.” He finally answered.

“Yes!” Yoori said and they made their way to the apartment building.

The elevator dinged, letting them know that this was the last stop. It had gotten significantly darker and the dim sky greeted Youngho and Yoori as they stepped onto the rooftop. Taeyong and Yuta had already set up a table and some chairs, the liquor was on the table with a bucket of ice next to them.

“Hey!” Yoori called out, “I brought Youngho! Come meet him!” she cheerfully said.

Taeyong smiled and Yuta followed.

“Hi! I’m Yuta, I’m so glad to see a new face, I’m so tired of seeing the same ones every ing day.” Yuta shook Youngho’s hand and the latter had to laugh at the other’s remark.

“Where’s Jaehyun?” Yoori asked Taeyong.

“He said he’d catch up, they’re being help up in class right now.” He answered promptly before walking to where Youngho stood.

“I’m Taeyong! I’m Yoori’s cousin.” Taeyong introduced himself with a kind smile.

“Oh! Yoori’s told me about you!” Youngho happily added.

“Come on, let’s go drink!” Yuta hooted and lead them all to the table they had set up.

Yoori had already cracked open a bag of chips and was happily munching when the other 3 sat down around her.

“Tsk, that’s for later.” Yuta scolded her and snatched the bag of chips, taking a piece for himself.

Yoori made a face at Yuta as if threatening him.

 

This is the way they all sat at the table.

Yuta began pouring beer into the single red cups for each of them. The cold breeze of the night was starting to envelope them but since they were wearing nice thick clothes, it barely bothered them. The conversation mainly went around getting to know Youngho because he was the new blood.

“So, are there any hot girls in your classes?” Yuta nonchalantly asked as he downed his fifth cup of beer.

Youngho laughed at the straightforward question, “I don’t really look. Plus, looks aren’t everything isn’t it?”

Taeyong threw a piece of potato chip at Yuta’s forehead, “I’ll apologize on his behalf.” He said as Yuta shot Taeyong a confused glare.

Yoori was working on her fourth cup, barely getting started. “Don’t gang up on Youngho like that. He’s civil.” She bragged.

Taeyong smiled and looked at Youngho for his reaction. The latter smiled shyly and took a huge swig from his cup.

“Why did you think Yoori would make a good friend?” Yuta settled his elbow on the table and took another sip, “She doesn’t even make for a good roommate.” He added as a joke because he knew it annoyed Yoori.

Yoori lightly punched Yuta’s arm.

“Yoori’s nice and she shares her homework and snacks.” Youngho happily answered.

“Damn right, I do.” Yoori felt proud.

“Mhm,” Taeyong chimed in, “Do you think she’s pretty?” he asked as if daring Youngho.

Yuta poured another bottle of beer into Youngho’s cup while Yoori felt a slight panic as she drank nervously, “What kind of question is that?!”

Taeyong shrugged and stayed silent, waiting for the guy’s answer. Yuta was busy eating a candy bar he had gotten for himself.

“You don’t have to answer my cousin. It’s a dumb question.” Yoori was trying to save the situation.

“Of course.” Youngho broke his pause of silence.

Taeyong downed his drink while nodding, “Alright, good to know.”

“What the hell was that?” was the only thing Yoori could say.

“Oh, Jaehyun said he’s on his way up and said we better have something strong.” Yuta interrupted mindlessly as he read from his phone.

Yoori poured herself another beer, trying to keep focus and not think about what Taeyong and Youngho meant.

Yuta gets up to meet Jaehyun and catch him up, while Taeyong says he needs to use the bathroom.

Youngho and Yoori are left alone at the table. The stars twinkle above as Yoori noticed because she was trying to busy herself.

“I hope you’re not uncomfortable.” Youngho said slightly tilting his head.

Yoori had realized he was talking to her and spoke as well, “N-no. It just sort of caught me off guard I guess.” She scratched the back of her head. “It doesn’t really mean anything important though, right?” she asked half-heartedly.

“No. No it doesn’t.” he answered, staring at his cup.

“ALRIIGHT! Jaehyun’s here! I can break out the vodka!” Yuta said as he slung his arm around Jaehyun barely managing the former’s unruliness.

Youngho stood up to greet Jaehyun, “Hey! We’ve met before!” Youngho smiled and offered his hand, “Yoori invited me.”

Jaehyun looked at Youngho’s hand then at Yoori, “Yeah, that idiot (referring to Yuta, who is now pouring the vodka) told me you were here too.” He smiled politely back at Youngho and shook his hand.

At this time, Taeyong had also come back from the restroom and sat back down next to Yoori.