CHAPTER 4

Unexpectedly

Chapter 4


“Hey Jaehyun, wanna get dinner started?” Yoori stated as she entered the apartment. She was taking off her shoes when Jaehyun walked out from his room, groggy obviously sleeping before.

“Oh, did I wake you?” she looked up at him.

“I was up before you came in anyway,” he yawned. “What were you thinking for dinner?” he crossed his arms over his chest.

“Would you guys go for a seafood hotpot? I think there are some seafood in the fridge which are about to go bad. We should eat them first.” She replied.

“Alright, I’ll prepare the ingredients. You collect the seafood.” Jaehyun stretched and trudged over to the kitchen.

After Yoori changed in her room, she strapped on an apron and took out the shell fish, squid, and octopus from the fridge. After taking out the food, the fridge obviously breathed a sigh of relief as all the heavy and bulky food were finally taken.

“So how many classes do you have with your new friend?” Jaehyun asked without turning to Yoori as the former was chopping scallions.

“Hm? Oh, I’ve got my last 2 classes with him. Why?” Yoori seemed oblivious as she was washing all the seafood.

“Nothing.” Jaehyun just muttered.

Yoori didn’t think much more of it as she drained the water from the food she was washing. She was about to reach for a chopping board to cut up the squid and octopus, but Jaehyun had also reached for the same thing. Yoori’s wet hands touched the top of Jaehyun’s hand and her automatic response was to apologize, “, sorry.” Somehow her cheeks burned a little, but Jaehyun kept silent.

“Hey, I’m home!” Yuta yelled from the front door and both Yoori and Jaehyun turned to face him.

“You can use it. I’m done prepping anyway.” Jaehyun said and slid away from the kitchen. Yoori just nodded and looked at all the ingredients the guy had already prepared in small plates.

“What’re you making?” Yuta sniffed around in the kitchen, bag still slinging sideways on his shoulder.

“Dinner.” Yoori answered absentmindedly. “Wanna help? I need the large pot cleaned.” She said with pleading eyes.

“Hell no.” Yuta snorted and walked away, “But call me when it’s time to eat!” he continued.

Yoori frowned and cursed under her breath, dreading to bring out the heavy pot because she needed to cook for 4 people. She eventually heaved the wide pot from under the sink and barely managed to rinse and clean it before she could start boiling some water and basic ingredients in it. About 15 minutes later, Taeyong arrived too.

“Hey,” he greeted Yoori who was the only visible person in the apartment as Jaehyun and Yuta had been in their rooms for the time being. “Are you cooking again?” the guy asked as he held onto a mysterious-looking plastic box.

Yoori eyed the box in Taeyong’s arm before she said, “Y-yeah, I’m getting rid of the seafood from the fridge. We’re having a seafood hotpot. What’s that?” she pointed at the box.

“A dedfrr…” the other guy murmured almost inaudibly.

“Huh?”

Taeyong deflated and almost burst into tears, “A dead frog. His name was Freddy.”

Yoori’s face contorted, “WHY DO YOU HAVE IT?!”

“We had to dissect one today in class. I felt so bad about it, I brought mine home so I could bury him.” Taeyong looked sadly at the box, “Yes, the frog is a ‘him’ because I opened him up!” he whined some more.

Yoori had caught her breath and Yuta suddenly emerged from his bedroom with his hoodie on his head, “Hey, what’s in the box?” he asked.

“Freddy.” Yoori answered and Taeyong ran whimpering into his room.

“I’ll help you bury him later!” Yoori now felt sorry for Taeyong because she knew how he loved animals, all types of animals, and this one must be tearing him apart.

“Who’s Freddy?” Yuta turned to Yoori.

“Taeyong’s friend…” Yoori said sadly as she rested her chin on her hand.

Yuta just shrugged, “Is it time to eat yet?”

“Almost. Could you please set up the table?” Yoori tried one last time to ask for help because she was honestly tired at this point.

“Yeah, sure. Move over.” Yuta just said and shimmied past Yoori to get to the cupboards where the plates and bowls were.

After the hefty meal, it was settled that Yuta and Jaehyun would clean up because Taeyong and Yoori had to bury the mutilated frog in the building’s backyard.

It was cold and dark but Yoori managed to find a small gardening shovel they had at the apartment and accompanied Taeyong as he held onto the plastic box that now looked like a Tupperware where Freddy lay lifeless.

“Thanks for helping me bury him.” Taeyong sadly muttered.

Yoori snickered a little “It’s no problem, I’ve been through several animal funerals with you.” She said before crouching down and digging the small grave.

After getting up to let Taeyong do his thing, Yoori felt really bad because she knew Taeyong would be going through much harder things in pursuing his degree. She watched as Taeyong opened the box revealing the poor frog. Yoori felt her food come up but she swallowed hard and looked away while Taeyong was laying the frog to rest.

“Hand me the shovel, I don’t want you to see this.” Taeyong quietly said and Yoori just handed her the small shovel.

Taeyong patted down the dirt over Freddy and stood alongside Yoori. Yoori put her arm around Taeyong as they stood in silence grieving over the frog.

“He’s in a better place now.” Yoori comforted the other.


A/N: Hi! Please feel free to read, subscribe, comment, or just say hi! Thank you! :)