Part 3

A Cats Tale

Part 3

 

However Junmyeon ignored her as he harshly tried to pull the key from its collar further exacerbating the cat in his arm. The cat struggled and strained it’s might, putting up a fight against Junmyeon’s attempt. “Stay still, you little mutt!” He complained, pulling the cat’s head fur, making it immobilised. Little blood drip pooled from the cat’s hind leg from what Wendy assumed that it had injured itself. It shrieked and hissed.

“You are to listen to young Miss Wendy and let it go this instance!” Madame Beaumont, an elderly lady and the head of all the servants, demanded. “You will face serious consequence if you continue, that cat is a precious family member to the Bae house.”

Still not budging, Madame Beaumont called out the Baes guards to reprimand the young man. They grabbed his arms and pulled it, trying to loosen his grip on the cat. “Let go of me! I am close to winning this stupid competition!” Sir Junmyeon demanded arrogantly while straining to break free of the guard's hold of him.

The cat whined and whimpered as it fell weakly onto the ground. Madame Beaumont, reached down to grab the cat into her arms, to which the cat whimpered, asking to be pampered by the elderly woman. "Please this young man out and see that he shall not set anymore attempt for Miss Irene Bae's affection."

Once Kim Junmyeon was dragged away, Madame Beaumont set her full attention on the cat, "Oh dear, your family is not going to be happy about this." She said, walking away, leaving poor Wendy Son unattended in obliviousness. After all, her turn was up next. "Wait madame," She intercept Madame Beaumont. "And to what pleasure do I owe?" the woman sternly asked.

"Let me." Wendy reached out to the cat who hissed at her. "Hey, hey, I'm not going to take advantage of you. I want to help you." She whispered, leaning down to face it. "May I have mint leaves and a medicine box?" Wendy turned to Madame Beaumont who looked at her suspiciously. "I promise, if I were to take any advantage of dear little fur here, I would back off from the competition. And I don't intend to." She continued.

The little fur in Madame Beaumont's arm stared at the sincere woman in front of her, it purred when it looked at Madame Beaumont. The Madame sighed and relented, "I suppose it would be fine as I have to inform the family. But if you ever lay a harmful finger, know that you won't see the light of the day." She warned and motioned a cut on the neck, making Wendy's face paled. She gave a nervous laugh to the Madame until she realised it was serious.

"Oh dear, she's scarier than Miss Irene Bae's grandma-ma's. Did she just threaten to off me?" Wendy asked the cat who was in her arms. The cat 'meowed' at her, apparently agreeing. "You are precious aren't you?" Wendy gave a nervous laugh and walked towards a table, once the madame was out of their sight. 

-

"Let's see now, how did you get yourself hurt?" Wendy asked as she set the cat in front of her, she reached out to grab mint leaves, clothed bandage and a bowl of water. She proceeded to wash off the blood and clean the wound, the cat whimpered, "there, there..it's alright.." Wendy cooed at it, focusing on the wound, after cleaning it up with water, she placed mint leaves on the wound and covered it up with a bandage.

Miss Irene Bae, who saw Wendy, whom is so caring and gentle, can't help feeling her heart melt. She shook her head, "No, Irene, you can't waver over this, she's poor Wendy Son.." She tried to convince herself. "Poor Wendy Son who took advantage of me back then..She's evil, Irene..evil..beautifully evil.." She melted over Wendy's caring eyes. "Grandma-ma's going to kill me." Her heart fluttered.

"There, good as new." Wendy grinned widely. 

The cat looked over it's hind legs and wiggled it, making Wendy chuckle, it was adorable. "You're as adorable as your master." Wendy commented, to which the cat looked at her. "As clever and quick witted like her." The cat meowed and turned it's back to Wendy. "Is that all I get today?" Wendy asked and the cat meowed to her. "Well, I suppose you've no mood to play, I shall come back again once you're bouncing with your prissy little tail." The cat growled at her. "I'm joking.." She said. 

Wendy sighed, looking up at the balcony. "Miss Irene Bae, I am sorry for what had happened, I've betrayed your trust once and I promise you I will take responsibility.." She covered her face with her hands, embarassed to even think about the past. If only she hadn't done that shameful act, as if it wasn't shameful enough of her class, perhaps she and Irene would have been good friends.

-

"That's bollocks! You're bonkers, any sane man would have taken the key." Joy whispered, looking at her friend unbelievably. Wendy was picking out some ingredients on the aisle, focused. "And what're you doing?" Joy asked puzzled. "Recon you'd give advice to pick out the cat's favourite fish?" Wendy asked, looking over Salmon's and Tuna's. They were in the biggest grocery store in the town, the most expensive even, selling high quality items. "And what are we doing here?" Joy asked again.

"Well, genius, I'm here to pick out ingredients to appeal to the cat, I feel bad it's injured." Wendy said. "Oh." Joy said. "Do we have to shop here though?" Joy asked. "Yes, I want the best for your cat and your sister." Wendy said. "Do tell me about your escapades.."

"No no no. This is about you. I haven't seen you for days, no thanks to you, those tea parties are excruciatingly painful." Joy groaned. "It's as boring as usual. Typical marraige proposals and incredilous gossips, even about Irene." She rolled her eyes. "They said she's not going to marry if she insists on being stubborn. That she's going to grow old and die alone. The nerves of these people." 

"Well, you shant worry about that. If no one weds her, I'm the prime candidate lining up. And they're just jealous that their sons are rejected relentlessly. I could imagine the humiliation." Wendy said, deciding on tuna, grabbing it and dumping into their basket.

"You're really serious about her. I honestly really don't understand, Wendy. Why?" Joy asked, admittedly. Wendy paused for a moment, from thinking of her gift to the cat, "My crush on her is not a secret." Wendy answered, even sing-songed.

"I know that's not the only reason. I've known you for whole of my life Wendy and I know my sister. It feels like you two are hiding something." Joy said, sighing. Wendy bit her lips, feeling a blush creep on her face. 

"I..I promised her something way back when we were younger. And..I tend to keep it..whether she'll like it or not...not only her though.."  Wendy explained. "I-I can't tell you right now.." She looked down. 

They stood in frozen silence.

"If you can't tell me, it's fine. I am disappointed though. You disappeared and then appear out of nowhere. Then you focus all your attention on my sister. When your not pining on my sister, you disappear again, god knows what you are doing and where you are?" Joy paused, forcing a smile, "Do you know how it hurts when I came to your house and have to hear from your parents 'Wendy didn't tell you?' and the pitiful look I get from them? You're my bestfriend Wendy, we've been bread and butter for long.." She paused again, "I really missed my best friend." Joy admitted. 

Wendy looked at Joy, feeling bad. 

"I'm sorry I hadn't realised. I promise I will make it up to you." Wendy said and embraced her friend. Joy buried her face into the crook of Wendy's neck, "Frankly, I'm jealous." Joy admitted. 

"Know that my feelings for Irene is real and I promise to tell you the full truth when the time is right, please respect me needing time for this." Wendy whispered. Joy sighed but relented, "Fine but you owe me best friend time, the least." She demanded. 

"Your wish is my command." Wendy chuckled.

They broke from their hug and continued their endeavour, talking about almost everything, as it was and as it is and what's to come.

Joy grabbed her wrist, stopping her as she reached for salmon, "You really have no idea what you are doing are you?" Joy teased, "I suggest, if you are serious about her, I advise you to cook home-made specialties. Not some made up impression. Something that's from the heart. My sister's a er for that. No weird Sardine-Salmon-Tuna sorbe..She'll gag"

"But it's for a cat?" Wendy asked, puzzled.

-