Part 2

A Cats Tale

Part 2

 

“Why, I don’t believe my eyes, would you look at that!” Mr. Bae said, rubbing his eyes with his fists, to the point where he ironically took off his monocle to see clearly. Even the servants were dismayed at the sight and were rooted to their places, stupefied. In front of them were rather an odd pair chasing each other.

A white prissy primmed cat finds itself in a puddle of mud, confused and a Wendy Son laughing her lungs out, sitting on the grass. “I suppose our time is up.” She muttered, looking at the cat who is beginning to position itself defensively. She smiled warmly and reached out her hands when the cat moved back reflectively, hissing at her. She snickered, “Rather arrogant of me to assume you’ve warmed up to me. Never mind, I shall gain your trust slowly.”

Joy and her mother, Mrs. Bae looked at the pair, from their balcony, clearly amused. “I’m surprised Wendy got that close to her.” Mrs. Bae said. The whole house was imploding. Never has anyone gotten that close to tame the cat, let alone in a day. Fear struck the house with thoughts of Miss Irene Bae handed off to lowly Wendy Son. Miss Irene Bae’s future, in a raggedy hand-me-downs, cheeks smeared with dirt and dishevelled hair. “This can’t go any longer.” Mrs. Bae coughed and clapped her hands as loud as possible. As if time stopped, the clap brought them back to reality and they went to retrieve the cat while Wendy fixed herself.

-

Irene tied her hair into a bun as she undressed herself, when Joy came into her room. “Therefore I shall give my heart to Wendy Son!” She sing-songed, teasing her sister who blushed madly and weakly complained. “Stop playing matchmaker. I see Wendy as nothing more than a sister and a childhood friend.” Irene said, covering herself with a towel. “Says the girl who seemed pretty struck by Wendy, back then and now.” Joy smirked. “And correction, I see her as a sister and childhood friend. You two were nothing more than blubbering awkward messes. My memories serves me that you two never could talk to each other moreover spent actual time to get to know as friends.” Joy teased further. “I..” Irene was at lost. So all she did was run to her bathroom and shut the door, feeling her cheeks heating with a blush. It was a lie that she’d never spent time with Wendy…

.. Just that Joy or anyone didn’t knew that they did.

-

“Am I not allowed to see Miss Irene Bae from now on?” Wendy asked, biting the biscuits that was prepared. Another man, whom Wendy recognised as Sir Jung Jaehyun, snickered as he passed her, dismissing her as a threat. After a short greet with the Baes, he was ushered to wait at the garden. The Baes looked at each other awkwardly, quickly changing the subject. “That wouldn’t be fair, would it?” Mrs Bae excused. “But I’ve got to say Wendy, I am impressed!” Mr Bae said. To which Wendy gave a grin and a wink. “Has no one really made progress?” She chuckled until she realised how serious the Baes were.

 

Wendy cleared , “I’m grateful for your kindness for treating me like your own, I basically prance around here, shamelessly, might I add, but you two were of no judgement, of me and my parents. And I am eternally grateful of Joy for having me as a friend.” She paused and took a deep breath, it was quite difficult to be serious for such an aloof personality. “I hope you two take me a serious suitor for your daughter, Miss Irene Bae. I know we’re of both different social standings. And I know how precious she is of the Bae family. But I’ve liked her then and I still like her now. If she has the same heart for me and there’s nothing in our way, I ask for your blessings.” She finished, to which the two Baes look at each other at such a sincere confession. Mrs Bae sighed, parted her lips to speak but Mr Bae took over, “You do realise the gravity of your words right? Wendy Son.” Mrs Bae looked over to her husband, who too, was serious now.

“Of course.” Wendy smiled.

What have you got under your sleeves Wendy Son?”

-

By dinner time at the Baes, Irene was half-awake due to the tremendous attention she gave to the suitors that day. They ate in silence, with Irene’s head falling over from time to time. “Apologies.” She muttered when she regained consciousness. “Would you perhaps fancy to slumber?” her mother offered but the girl shook her head. “I’m fine, Thank you mother.” Irene was so focused on her plate that she hadn’t noticed the three pair of eyes staring at each other, signalling at each other.

“I can’t believe Wendy is seriously going to court you. It’ll be great to have her as a real family.” Joy said. Irene snapped awake, “Correction, dear sister, she hasn’t courted me, she merely grazed my little fur.” “But she did muddied it.” Joy giggled. “Admit it everyone, Wendy by far has been most impressive.”

“It seems like your sister is more interested in Wendy Son.” Mr Bae said. “I’m just a er for romance.” Joy sing-songed, laying her head onto Irene’s shoulder. Irene rolled her tired eyes. “The way you two have been looking at each other and sneaking around, only grandma-ma is blind to you two lovebirds.” Joy said. “S-Sneaking around? What are you talking about?!” Irene said, flustered. “Oh, I see you undressing her with your look-“ Joy paused “Joy. Words.” Her mother warned. “I mean, I see you getting seduced by Wendy.” Joy stuck her tongue out. “I do not!” She blushed. “I don’t understand you, sister…” Joy muttered. “Ultimately, I’ve decided a sure-way to end this ridiculousness, and whomever shall win the competition wins my heart, Wendy or not..” She said with a small voice. “All the young suitors are hopeless, so I devised that the person who could grab the key tied to my little fur shall be the winner.” She stood up and left the table, making her mind up.

“I don’t understand her…” Joy said, shaking her head. “Why is she so insisting to have this ridiculousness, if she hadn’t wanted to marry shan’t have and now that a perfect suitor has come, she chose not to.” Joy huffed.

“It’s a little complicated my daughter.” Mr Bae said. “We’re more progressive and open but our extended family and the town is traditional. There are social ques we have to adhere, else, ..” Mr Bae said, pondering. “And your grandma-mas wouldn’t have their precious grand-daughter tainted in any way and would like to keep our family as we are of right now. There’s nothing wrong with Wendy and we love her; it’s just her social class. I’m sure your sister knows of this.” Mr Bae said, thinking about the times where his mother fought with his daughter.

Joy sighed, sometimes, she really forgot that she’s a Bae, the favorits of the queen.

-

The following day at the Bae House, Wendy rushed inside when she heard a loud shriek coming from the garden. “Let it go! Junmyeon!”

.