Part 1

A Cats Tale

Part 1

 

“Oh dear, I do apologise for the ruckus.” Joy apologized, expressing her sympathies, as her friend, Wendy gave her a weird look. “And to what do you owe this apology for?” Wendy asked, curious, of such unsophisticated-ness of the highly regarded Bae family.

“You darn cat! I will cut you into pieces and feed you to the dogs on the street once I lay my hands on you!” A man yelled out in exasperation, running out of breath. As he came into their view, Wendy raised her brows in amusement.

The said man is Sir Kim Jun Myeon of the Kim family, looking quite unruly, he gave a curt smile to the two women before him and fixed himself, not before looking for something.

“I am curious now.” Wendy exclaimed and Joy raised her eye-brows in shock, rarely anything muses this dear friend of hers. “As you are well aware, my older sister, has announced her hand in marriage.” Joy answered. “The Miss Irene Bae?” Wendy gave her a playful grin as Joy nodded, giggling. Wendy remembered vaguely of her whenever she visited the Bae’s residence when she was younger, before she moved away to the city. “And I assume this marriage has something to do with the ruckus?” She chuckled looking at her friend who nodded her head slowly. She understood why the house was disorderly and why the servants were in disarray when she came.

“Oh, you wouldn’t believe the mess it caused the town when she announced it.” Joy continued, “I could imagine.” Wendy softly muttered.

The highly favorit’ of the queen, The Bae family, a respectable and a pure noble, proper and prim. Wendy often wondered how she and Joy were of good friends, when she is of nothing like them. And praised dear gods for having Joy as her friend in her life. She wouldn’t have survived the relentless bullying from her peers in school, had it not for Joy.

“It must be annoying and tedious of having suitors lining up to your doorsteps and society watching your every moves. Especially for dear Miss Irene.” She continued. “I suppose that’s why she’s announced it but it is rather clever of her to place a condition for her hand in marriage.” Joy said.

A cat - a white primmed cat with a long fluffy-tail, ran towards them and jumped up to Wendy, gripping onto her coat. She stood in reflex, dismayed of the situation, while the cat clawed onto her body. She groaned trying to keep the cat off from clawing her, shaking it off.

“There you are! Stay there!” Jun Myeon came back, running towards them. Behind him were the two servants chasing after him, “your time is up Sir Kim!”. The cat hissed at him when he got close and he glared at it, before he could reach to grab the cat, he was captured by the servants. “you are not to lay a finger of harm on the cat.” The servants announced and he muttered a string of obscenities. “I will return,” He shook the servants hold on him, “and I will capture you.” He stared hard at the cat who hissed at him but backed away into Wendy’s neck, “And I will marry your sister.” He said, looking at Joy. He fixed himself up and turned his attention on Wendy,

“Well, well, well, if it isn’t Wendy Son, I see you are back.” He taunted her. Wendy gave him a curt nod.

“Is the young man still here?” A gentleman entered the living room, joining the ruckus. He fixed his monocle and cleared his throat at the crowd and the mess before him. “Oh my.” He muttered. A disgruntled suitor, his surprised daughters and Wendy Son. “Wendy!” He opened his arms wide to embrace the girl when he noticed the cat on Wendy’s body, he chuckled and easily called the cat over and it complied, purring as he its fur. “I do apologise for the troubles.” He gave quick glance to Jun Myeon who grumbled under his breath yet smiled a sickeningly (according to Wendy) ostentatious smile. “I suppose I should devise another strategy to tame that trouble cat.” Jun Myeon said, nodding towards the man before taking his leave. “Isn’t he a persistent one!” The man chuckled. “That’s the spirit!” He exclaimed. “Oh I remember my youth spent courting your mother! The passion is I proudly present fervent. Not a day, your mother feel loveless.” He continued to chatter. Joy smiled and shook her head at her rambling father. “What are you doing here, father?” Joy asked him. “I needed a fresh breath of air and I wanted to see the beautiful faces of my family!” He said.

Wendy’s lips curved into a smile, internally chuckling at Mr. Bae’s tone of voice, he would be fitting of a passionate bard. “Ah right! I came down to a surprise of Wendy Son, how are you child?” He asked, setting the cat down, letting it walk over to Joy who took it into her arms. “I’m as fine as always, Thank you for asking Sir.” She said. "It's lovely to see you, child. How are your parents? I barely do see them by the markets. Great people those two! Hardworking and admirable!" He exclaimed.

“Father, you barely go to these things, you’d rather spend time in your office, doing who knows.” Joy and the cat meowed, in agreement. “Well, I would have gone to more, if not for your stubborn sister.” He chuckled. “Well, I would understand how she would have feel, to be bothered continuously by vultures and preyed upon as a prize.” Wendy said. The two pair of father-daughter exchanged a sympathetic look and a smile. “Of course. Their mother and Joy share the same fate but Irene has had it worse. Rest assured, we enjoyed our time with a game of chess and books. Great things!” He said. “And girl nights?” Joy teased again and the man’s face were flushed with a shade of light pink but he chuckled. “You know your sister, she insists with having things her way.” He said and gave a mischievous glint to the cat who growled. Joy had to laugh at the whole thing. Wendy chuckled, looking at the warm and easy-going family.

-

Joy sets down the cat onto the floor and giggles, looking at her sister frowning. “What a pig.” She complained. “Seems like Sir Jun Myeon gave you a run.” Joy said and Irene rolled her eyes in reply. “He never quits. He’s been coming here for two months straight.” Joy continued. “Then perhaps I shall set another condition. This can’t go on forever.” Irene sighed, getting tired of the countless men knocking on their door. “Funny, I actually thought you’ve given your hand and set that silly condition to avoid marriage.” Joy said, joining her sister on the bed. Irene thought as she stared at the ceiling, letting her aching muscles relax as she laid on her bed, perhaps it was one way of avoiding marriage. She thought of the chaos when she announced her hand during the queen’s tea-party and swarm of people crowded her. “Funny, I thought of the same too…” Irene muttered. Joy gave a small smile, looking at her sister, her hands reached to Irene’s and she grabbed it, rubbing Irene’s hands with her thumb. “Your friend, she smells lovely.” Irene muttered, remembering the beautiful blonde with a kind face. She blushed, thinking that it wouldn't go unnoticed by Joy who secretly shook her head and silently sighed.

-

“I see nothing has changed much since I left.” Wendy announced to her parents during dinner that night. Both implying the homely dinner her parents prepared and the obsession of this town towards Irene Bae. “Just the way you like it, Sweet Madame and Honey grilled roast!” Her father quickly chimed in and Wendy smiled. “The town’s obsessed with her.” Her mother said, sharing her dose of gossip from whatever tea-party she went to this time. “Including me.” Wendy announced cheerfully. “So I hope I have both your blessings.” She continued to eat, grabbing a spoonful of buttered rice and tender honey meat. Her parents looked at her simultaneously. Her father faked a cough, “You still hold her dear?” He asked and Wendy simply smiled, “Still haven’t forgot about it.” She quipped. “I must warn you about that pesky cat.” Her mother continued, trying to lighten the mood from the abrupt still-time atmosphere. “That I have a good plan.” Wendy quipped again. Her parents looked at each other and softened up.

-

Wendy laid down on her bed that night, looking at the ceiling, after undressing,  concocting a plan in her mind. And few days has passed ordinarily with her strolling around the fanciful town, noticing the changes and what remained. She has strong memories from both the Bae daughters.

And she saw that nothing had changed since her last visit at the Baes. Another man, whom she recognised as Oh Se Hun, from their elementary school days, rashly walked away with such a sour face, muttering to himself incoherently. Wendy stifled a giggle. She's heard so many men attempted to tame the cat but to no avail. She shall try. "Fools." She muttered. Of course, the trick to tame the silly cat is to ..