Her favourite(s)

Loving you better

Did you know it takes eleven muscles to yawn?

Yeah, Sana is thinking about the weird yawning fact to keep herself from… well, yawning. Or showing anything she feels, really. Because right now, she has to plaster a smile to her face. The kind of plastic smile she always wears on camera that makes the remaining face muscles seized up, that is. 

The interview had gone over an hour by now, but for Sana, it felt like a whole day already. 

Don’t get her wrong, Sana loves the spotlight, loves the attention and praises she receives from her fans and staff. Heck, she loves interviews so much, she could make the interviewer jobless with her endless chatter.

But with her co-star slash rumoured fake boyfriend here in a special segment for Valentine's day, that is an entirely different story.

“What do you think, Sana-ssi?”

“Yes?” , I must have zoned off. Before she could be caught, however, her co-star had answered for her.

“Is that question allowed, though?” He retorts in a playful tone, the studio fills with laughter. 

Sana plays along, doing that robotic laugh while her mind is panicking about what the hell is this forbidden question being asked. 

“Sana never tells me, but from my observation, I think she will enjoy a date in an amusement park.” He adds, “Maybe, have a picnic for dinner under the fairy lights at night and sky full of stars. You know, the cliche-kind of romantic date?”

Oh, it’s those questions.

“Would you agree with that, Sana-ssi?”

“It sounds lovely.” 

The studio roars once again with oohs and awws and Sana smiles, her co-star stealing her a glance. But what he did after caught her off-guard; he blatantly flashes her a wink, and a finger heart.

“Omo! Is that an indirect confession?”

He sheepishly smiles, “I’ll leave it to your imagination.”

And by that, Sana is already dreading the days to come.

 

 

*

 

 

The interview continued with a couple quiz that Sana didn’t remember answering. Well, how could she when her honest reply would have wreaked havoc to the entire entertainment industry. So Sana did what she does best, she left the job to her co-star.

Not that he minded, Sana presumes. He seemed to enjoy it. 

Just as the recording ends, Sana rushes to her green room, ignoring the longing stare of her co-star wanting to have a conversation with her. She wants to escape the scrutiny and buzz of the staff, inhaling a breath of oxygen for once. 

Only to be met with a scowl from her manager as she closes the door.

Sana groans, “What is it now?” 

“That,” Her manager points to the door, “was unprofessional of you.”

Sana understood well what she’s implying. She saw the warning glares Manager-unnie shot at her, but Sana ignored all of them. She had to, for the sake of everyone's heart.

“Professional?” She rounds the manager towards the make-up table, “I was being very professional with the acting, mind you.”

Manager-unnie lets out a sigh, “I get that it’s tiring, you’ve been doing interviews and talk shows for two whole weeks with Kim–” 

“With him.” Sana adds, emphasizing on the last word.

“Yes, with your co-star, which I know is putting a lot of stress on you. But at least, make an effort to be engaging instead of it being a one-sided conversation.”

Sana closes her eyes, calming her nerves. She can lash out, scream her lungs out, yell her frustrations, her exhaustion. But her manager doesn’t deserve it. Neither of them does. 

“I’ll try.” She looks up at her manager, casting a smile through their reflection on the mirror.

“I'm counting on you, Sana.” 

Manager-unnie pats her shoulder, perhaps in gratitude or encouragement, Sana appreciates both. However, her eyes glimmer when a bouquet of Milka chocolates appears over her shoulder. 

“This was at the door, by the way. Signed by a dog and blue heart.” 

There was a teasing smirk, but Sana was too delighted with the bouquet to notice it. 

“Not to be the petty woman I always am, but did she forget Valentine's day was a week ago?”

“No, I don't do Valentine's.”

Sana received a weird look, “Is that why she never sends flowers? And what’s her deal with Milka anyway? Give me a box of Lindt’s truffles, damn it!”

Sana could ramble on the idea that the sender is adamant on not being a part of killing the planet movement by buying off bouquets for every special occasion, or the history they shared of the chocolate. Instead, she offers her manager a bar. 

“Sometimes, unnie." Sana starts, despite her attention now on the phone. "A simple thing has its own magic too."

And that was enough to silence her manager who shakes her head in fondness as Sana's icy facade earlier instantly melts into the sunshine she is.

 

 

*

 

 

The soft humming that greets Sana brought a smile to her face.

Her filming schedule lasted for the whole day and Sana is dead tired. She could pass out anytime soon, on the couch, the dining table, the bathtub even. 

But hearing the voice adds up half the life of her already blinking battery.

She makes a beeline to the dining room, only to stop and lean by the door to admire the oblivious woman still unaware of Sana's presence.

She takes in the gracefulness of Tzuyu's movement, how her loose ponytail sways with every tilt of her head, how her lips pout with a taste of the sauce, how her eyes come to life with every reaction she makes. 

Sana wants to print herself on the skin under the curls of Tzuyu's nape, wants to the lips that breathes her name, wants to swim through the galaxies of those deep dark eyes that only sees her… only sees Sana.

Who cares about a freaking Valentine dude when she has a Chou Tzuyu to celebrate. The marvel of this woman cannot be compared to a saint, a world treasure that only Sana has the map to, only Sana has the privilege to.

"A ing goddess."

That managed to catch Tzuyu's attention as she twirls around, her adorable smile turning into a smirk. 

"Were you ogling me? Again?"

"Sorry, it's a bad habit of mine." Sana scrunches her nose cutely, earning a delighted laugh from Tzuyu. "Why are you here? Didn't you say you have to lead a seminar until tomorrow?'

"I do, but I passed it to Nako. She can take over for me."

"You mean, the should-get-promoted-soon fellow "Shushu" Nako-san?"

"Yes, her."

Sana narrows her eyes playfully, "Are you sure you're not the one bullying her, Tzu? Did you bribe her with my autograph or something?"

"That's really tempting, but no." Tzuyu chuckles, "I told her I have a prior engagement that is more important than the seminar."

Sana is standing beside Tzuyu by now, her body instinctively leaning closer to the familiar warmth. "And what is that?"

"It's Sana day."

Tzuyu dips down, pecks the corner of her lips and nuzzles their noses together. Sana almost tiptoes, wanting to catch, taste those teasing lips she's been craving for weeks but Tzuyu draws away as quickly.

Sana pouts, "Isn't today Sana day?"

"Patience. Wouldn't want to burn our dinner now, do we?"

"It's just instant pasta, though?" Sana raises the questioned empty box.

"They could still burn!"

Laughter bubbles up from Tzuyu's flustered response, the pout now takes place on the latter's face.

"I was just playing with you."

Sana bumps her forehead on Tzuyu's chin, and that's enough to pacify Tzuyu.

She doesn't move away, still keeping Tzuyu close despite knowing the danger of being near to fire. And Tzuyu doesn't shy away, supporting Sana's weight with her own as she utilises her long arm to prepare their simple dinner.

Sana's eyelids begin to droop as she watches the sauce bubbling in the pot, and she can feel Tzuyu's arm catching her from falling. It feels so good, she doesn't want to miss Tzuyu's warmth.

"Should I rest on the couch?"

"Do you want to?" Tzuyu asked back, getting a lazy smile in response. "Tell me about your day, then?"

There was actually a lot to fill in. Sana was away for two weeks, her schedule starting as early as four in the morning and ending at two in the morning. Blame it on the hectic timing though, because Sana suddenly couldn't recall any scenes on those days.

Except for the interview earlier.

"He said I would enjoy a date at an amusement park on Valentine's day." Sana blurts out the first thing in her mind, only to grimace after.

Tzuyu takes a second to answer, prompting Sana to glance up through her eyelashes. She studies Tzuyu's features, searching for a reaction or any subtle movement… but just a hum.

"What did you say?"

"It sounds lovely." Sana answered honestly, her fingers already playing with the hem of Tzuyu's work shirt.

Sana doesn't dare look up, doesn't dare move when Tzuyu turns off the stove and leans away from her. Her fidgety fingers clutches Tzuyu's shirt, desperate to keep the latter closer.

But then, a hand cups her cheek, urging Sana to come face to face with the softest expression she ever sees from Tzuyu.

"Sana."

"Yes?" She replied, breathless, drowned in the pair of gentle eyes so patient and understanding.

"We can celebrate Valentine's day, if you want. Go to an amusement park, have a nice dinner at a restaurant, I'll even send you roses on set. We can do all that, Sana."

It was an offer, like a silent bargain of Tzuyu trying to win her heart, when she already owns a whole of it. Sana feels that familiar tug in her chest, and out of nowhere, the questions from the couple quiz came rushing in again. 

And Sana wants nothing more than to answer them again, frankly and loudly this time.

Because Sana doesn't have a favourite cafe; Tzuyu makes her favourite food and drinks.

Sana doesn't have a favourite hangout place; Tzuyu's embrace is her favourite go-to after a tiring day.

Sana doesn't have a favourite flower; Tzuyu fills her favourite corner with shelves of potted plants.

Sana doesn't have a favourite movie; Tzuyu reads and reenacts her favourite lines and scenes from her first debut film.

All the questions, they have one answer. 

The only one.

"No, I don't care about Valentine's." She holds Tzuyu's hand on her cheek, kissing her palm, her wrist... hoping it will suffice. "I only want Sana day."

Sana doesn't need extravagant gestures or cliche romances. It's the little things that make her heart tugs, that leaves her heart yearning, that forces her heart to fall.

 

 

 

Because her favourites, are all Tzuyu.

 

 

 

 

 


A/N: just to make things clear. yes, they're friends. and yes, they're less.
have a good day!