Flashback #2 - The (not so) great escape

Loving you better

It was the weekend, and Sana was supposed to be in ahjumma’s restaurant right now, screaming her heart out on the famous ring ding dong song with her friends. Instead, here she is in class, silently screaming her misery and wiping fake tears as she looked at the set of makeup tests on the table.

"I expect you to perform well in this test. Otherwise, I'll make sure your name will be in the list for the summer's replacement class next week."

A chorus of groans and whines echoed throughout the class, but it seems like Sana's voice was the only sound to be heard by Miss Park.

"Sana-ssi, this wouldn't be a problem for you if you could only concentrate in my class rather than daydreaming about your potential future suitor."

Sana's eyes widened in horror when Miss Park walked to her side, bent down to pick a crumpled paper with a bold SANA in marker and read whatever cringey poem was written inside. She stole a glance to the back row, eyes squinted menacingly at the three boys sitting together in the middle. The tallest winked with his charming smile, but it only made Sana seeth in annoyance.

Of course, if it wasn't for Mingyu and his forever delusional thought to date her, Sana wouldn't be the sole target of Miss Park's wrath at that very moment. To be humiliated in front of the class was never in Sana's high school bucket list, but looks like she had to add an extra bullet anyway, no thanks to Mingyu's not-so-smooth way of inviting her out after this.

"Okay, start answering and no funny business please." Miss Park clapped her hands twice as she walked to the front, "You may leave after handing over the papers."

Sana tried her best to rack her brain for that one reaction formula she never memorized, the eraser bit at the end of her pencil was already decorated with teeth marks. Well, how can she focus when the ring ding dong song was the only thing playing in her head since she woke up. 

But she heeded Nayeon's wisdom words, "Never contemplate your answer, your first guess is always the right one." Therefore, she jotted down the most logical answer to that one damn question she got stuck on the last page.

 

Reaction 1 to dissolve the CaCO³:

Surprised

 

Reaction 2 to form the CaCO³:

Astonished

 

That wasn't so bad. Grinning in satisfaction, she stood up from her table and stride with confidence to the front. 

"Done already, Sana-ssi?" Miss Park raised a brow suspiciously, but the student merely nodded with a puffed out chest as she placed her own set papers over the completed stack. "I hope we're not seeing each other in school this summer."

"Oh, you’re definitely going to see me somewhere else, Miss Park." Sana smirked back, ignoring the teacher’s knowing look before turning on her heels and skipping down the empty corridor. 

She was on the verge of doing a celebratory dance when suddenly, a pair of skidding shoes could be heard from behind. 

"Sana! Wait!"

She turned around to see Mingyu waving his long hand at her, teeth sparkling bright from his full blown smile. Everyone else would have been swooned by this hunk of a dream boy with the face of an advert model. But the thing is, Sana wasn't everyone else.

So she turned back around, and ran. Fast.

"SANA? WAIT, WHERE ARE YOU – YAH!!"

The girl didn't even spare a glance to her back, her only destination was the secret back gate behind the cafeteria. 

"HA! YOU CAN'T OUTRUN ME, SANA! I'M IN THE SOCCER CLUB, REMEMBER?"

She could hear Mingyu's horrid voice getting closer, the hairs on her neck rising in goosebumps. Since when this has become the fight of the fittest, she didn't know; not that she wants to know either. He might have long legs, but he forgot that Sana is an expert in her escape; she had done this many times to skip classes and avoid the school guards. 

Mingyu is not an exception.

She made a beeline towards the cafeteria, ignoring the weird looks she received from other students lounging around the area. Well, they're not Sana's main problem when a giant, crazy self-proclaimed diva is hot on her trail. Just as she saw the back gate, a familiar white delivery scooter with that tall back stature and yellow ponytail came to her view. 

"Wait!"

"Huh? What are you – Sana?!"

Without warning, Sana hopped on the backseat and slapped the baffled driver in apprehension.

"Quick – start the bike now, Tzuyu! Hurry!"

"Why?" The girl looked over her shoulder, but she only received more deadly hits from the uninvited passenger. 

"Just –"

"SANA, STOP! WHY ARE YOU LEAVING WITH A STRANGER?! I THOUGHT WE'RE GOING ON A DATE??"

"Oh god I'm doomed."

"Not yet." Her head was suddenly covered with a helmet, and the scooter immediately roared to life as Tzuyu grabbed Sana's hands and wrapped them over her waist. "Hold on tight."

Sana's hands squeezed the varsity jacket tighter as the scooter jerked forward, eyes shutting close in reflex. Sana had never ridden a motorbike before, having been brainwashed since a child that the two-wheeled transportation has the most tendency for a motor-vehicle accident. However, at that moment, it didn't feel as scary as the stories she heard from the news. 

Her nerves slowly loosened up when the gentle breeze hit her face, locks of tied blonde ponytail hitting her cheeks. It was ticklish, but the smell of fresh floral shampoo got her in a trance. It was soft and citrusy with a hint of vanilla, and it made Sana feel like a creep as she caught herself sniffing the girl's exposed neck. 

"Where's your secret lair?"

"Mwoh?" The question successfully broke her weird act as she backs away from Tzuyu's enticing hair.

"Since you're running away...?"

Her brain might have been fried from the makeup test as it took her a few seconds longer to understand the question. "Yah! I wasn't playing truancy!"

Sana received a snort, a disbelief one, so she returned a light slap to Tzuyu's shoulder which earned her another soft chortle. The corner of her lips lifted as she leaned forward, unaware of how her chin had gravitated effortlessly over Tzuyu's shoulder, earning a safe spot there. It was a perfect height for them, and Sana let herself be comfortable as the driver didn't voice out any objection about it either.

"Oh, drop me at ahjumma’s restaurant. Over there!"

The scooter came to a stop in front of the brick-walled building and Sana leaped down from the seat. She was about to thank Tzuyu for the free ride but was taken aback when the tall figure suddenly loomed over her, standing impossibly close that her heart started thumping erratically against her ribcage.

She heard a clicking sound, and her head was suddenly light. 

"Ah, the helmet – yeah, that's right. I was about to take it off, hehe." Sana scratched the baby hair behind her left ear, eyeing the tall girl who thankfully didn't notice her stammer. 

The thought of hanging out with her friends since morning had apparently died down, replaced by the idea of dragging Tzuyu to the convenience store across the road. Perhaps, they can share an instant ramen together, or spend a couple of sips over banana milk trying to get to know each other.

"You don't have to."

"Eh?"

"Buy instant ramen or banana milk."

"Oh." , I said that out loud. "Uh, no, I wasn't–"

"I'd love to, but your phone has been ringing for a few times now."

"Eh, it did?"

Tzuyu tilted her head (cutely) with a small smirk, the ringtone of moonlight densetsu began to fill her ears as she fumbled with the flip phone. She had almost rolled her eyes at the caller. Really bad timing, Nayeon.

"Yes, Nayeon?"

"Yah! Are you done yet? The pizza's getting cold and Momo is getting emotional over Rain's Love Song–"

"His song is a masterpiece, don't touch me!"

"If all of you can't handle one sappy Hirai Momo, what makes you think my presence will make a difference?"

"Because she hates your guts the most, Sana."

"WELL THANK YOU FOR RUBBING IT ON MY FACE YOO JEONGYEON!"

Cackles and wheezing laughter can be heard in the background before Nayeon's distressed voice took over the phone again.

"Hurry up, Sana! She's a mess, and we need more people to subdue her from repeating that freaking song for the 12th time!"

"Sheesh, fine! I'm already outside. I'll be up in a few."

Sana instantly ended the call, Nayeon's screeching voice cut in the middle. A curse almost escaped when she realized Tzuyu's concerned eyes on her. She quickly bit her tongue, giving the girl an apologetic smile.

"Sorry, they're just being an , as usual."

"Must be some great kind of to hang out with."

Sana blinks twice, before bursting out in laughter from Tzuyu's nonchalant comment. Whoever said Tzuyu is a delinquent must have been blinded by the mere rumors. They barely interact, and yes sometimes Tzuyu is blunt with her words, but underneath the cold exterior is actually an easy-going girl. Don’t tell this to her friends, but Sana has already grown a liking to this rumored delinquent. Perhaps it’s a good thing that people are blind after all; she could have this side of Tzuyu to herself. 

"Sorry for taking your time and holding you up, since you're on the job and all."

Tzuyu shrugged, hands tucked inside the pocket of her worn down black and white jacket. "Anything for a damsel in distress."

"You're funny." A girly giggle bubbled up Sana's throat as she bumped her fist on Tzuyu's shoulder. "Are you sure you're not hungry or anything? I could just run across the street and get you some stuff, as a thank–"

But Sana didn't get to finish her words when Tzuyu once again stepped into her personal space, hand reaching out to her face.

"There's always a next time." Tzuyu's fingers gently fixed a few stray tendrils over Sana's left ear, a small satisfied smile breaking the usually composed face. "But I'll be waiting for the banana milk."

"And instant ramen!"

A soft chuckle greeted Sana, infecting her face with a wide grin of her own.

"And instant ramen."

Sana's friends thought they could get rid of Momo's sappiness by having the former with them, oh how wrong they were. Because for the remaining afternoon of their karaoke session, Sana had conquered the whole machine to herself by choosing only love songs, and love songs only. They had to comply, thinking Sana was probably stressed out from the predictably failed make up test and her great escape from Mingyu.

 

 

If only they knew of the stray butterfly fluttering in Sana's stomach the whole time.