Only one of you

Loving you better

 

“Are you sure it’s fine? The news hasn’t died down yet.”

 

“Will it ever be?” Sana rolls her eyes at Nayeon as the two walk side by side, donning bucket hats, face masks and sunglasses in the night - a fullproof undercover of not being too obvious. “Relax, I have my ways. No one is going to follow us.”

 

“Hey, hey… they won’t recognize me, right?”

 

Sana idly turns to the older, only to be visibly shocked and confused with her getup. “Yah, this is unnecessary! Why are you dressed up like you’re the one with a scandal?”

 

“Are you kidding me? I don’t want my pretty face popping up in the papers, just to be called ‘the player’s acquaintance’.”

 

“Rude!”

 

It is another one of those nights where Sana will have a monthly hang out with her high school friends - one of them currently walking with her. It’s a tradition of sorts proposed by Nayeon, an agreement they made before the eldest of the group graduated. Now that all of them are working adults, it’s a blessing that they are able to maintain this custom even after years of being separated.

 

Sana is mostly the one looking forward to their monthly reunion. It’s a nice way to de-stress and recharge herself, not to mention these people are the second most dear and closest to Sana, after her family. There’s no restriction - she can be at ease and not be wary of using vulgar words or making slip-ups, she can enjoy a buffet without feeling guilty because her friends don’t give a damn of her appearance (it’s her cheat day anyway) and most of all, she can just be herself.

 

The Sana they know, and also, the Sana she usually is. No need for a front, a facade, or a fake smile. 

 

“Are you sure you’ve booked a room for us?”

 

Sana gives an assuring nod, checking the messages she had with the owner of the restaurant. It’s a place they always frequent to during high school, a joint cafe-like restaurant with karaoke lounge. It was a perfect place to go to when they want to play truancy, or running away from the boring history class. They did get caught twice, other times the owner would save their because the old woman enjoys having their noisy company in the restaurant.

 

“Ah, I’m hungry… have they arrived yet? Ask them to order the food first.”

 

Sana quirks an eyebrow from Nayeon’s endless demands since they start walking. “Yah, am I your PA? Don’t you have a phone?” 

 

The older grins, but it was hidden by her mask. Instead, she tilts the sunglasses down over her nose. “I can’t find my phone, it’s too dark. Besides, you’re texting Tzu right?”

 

Sana feels her face heating up - even after years, she still has this effect when they mention the taller woman. Thankfully her face is hidden right now or she would have been the laughing stock of Nayeon’s endless tease.

 

Instead of following Nayeon’s order, she slips the phone inside her purse. “No need. We’re just a few blocks away from the restaurant.”

 

“Ah, really? I can’t see, it’s too dark here.”

 

Sana snorts from the older’s deliberate laugh. They shared small talks along the way, mostly of Nayeon’s newly composed song for a new girl group, before reaching the entrance of the restaurant. The owner was shocked to be greeted by two suspicious people all covered up, only to let out an amused cackle when they made their signature dance in front of the elderly.

 

They were engaged in a conversation with the old lady when another group showed up by the door, Sana’s face beaming from the familiar faces.

 

“Good evening!”

 

Momo, Chaeyoung and Tzuyu greet the old woman with a bow, their faces flushed red and hair disheveled from the cold, windy air outside.

 

“Aish, you rascals are here too?”

 

Momo steps forward, leaning on the counter with a playful smirk. “Yah, ahjumma… these rascals are the only loyal customers you have for the past ten years. Don’t forget that!”

 

The old woman waves them off with a happy laugh, “Yes, yes! Thankfully it’s not a full house tonight or I’ll have a hard time closing this place up later.”

 

Sana jumps towards the yawning small woman, giving a bear hug to Chaeyoung before tousling her reddish pixie-cut hair. “Trying to be a strawberry now, are you?”

 

“You’re hurting my pride, unnie.” The cub feigns a hurt expression, only to be enclosed in another hug from Momo. “Yah, get off me!”

 

Sana giggles happily from seeing Chaeyoung struggling to free herself from Momo’s clutch, only to feel eyes on her. She looks up, and the pair of dark brown orbs begins to gleam when their eyes meet. 

 

They communicate with their eyes, the taller showing how much she misses Sana just through her smile alone. It makes Sana’s chest swell in delight, of how a small action brings so much meaning to her.

 

“Should we go to the room now or watch you both eye-ing each other?”

 

Sana quickly ducks her head while Tzuyu clears , eyes wandering to the floor. The others shared a snicker from the owner’s comment before following the latter to their designated private room. Just as they walk through the tables in the dining area, Sana catches a familiar face sitting alone by the old piano in the corner. 

 

Oh no...

 

She was a tad too late in avoiding his gaze when he caught her eyes. He stands up with a hand raised, a wide grin etched on his face from seeing the well-known group of people.

 

“Oh! Chan, is that you?”

 

Sana was really eager to meet her friends tonight - the news about her scandal is spreading like wildfire and made her preoccupied with so many things, she just needed an escape in the form of her crazy bestfriends. 

 

Right now? Not anymore.


 


 

Somehow, Sana regrets booking a private room for them - now that there’s a new presence sitting on the sofa with them. She almost cursed Nayeon for inviting Chan to eat with them. Not that she hated him - they were good friends back then - but having him here in this very room just screams awkward. 

 

“What can I get you?”

 

The waiter asks after they settle down on the couch, Nayeon being in charge of picking up everyone’s order since they basically eat the same thing each time. That night however, the oldest decided to be experimental and choose a different menu. Sana is still lost in her thoughts, she didn’t really pay attention to Nayeon’s choice of tacos for everyone - only giving a passive nod to every question. 

 

It wasn’t until a soft voice she knows so well speaks up that it catches her attention.

 

“Excuse me, can I get an extra serving of this, but without the beans?”

 

Tzuyu leans forward towards the waiter, pointing at a specific dish in the menu. Sana caught a glimpse of Tzuyu’s choice and she quickly shoots the taller woman a questioning look, already versed to her food preferences. But Nayeon was quick to question the youngest when the waiter left the room.

 

“Tzuyu-ah, I thought you don’t eat meat? I already asked for seafood tacos for you.”

 

“I don’t.” Tzuyu juts her chin towards Sana who is sitting at the far end of the opposite couch. “It’s for her.”

 

“Oh, that’s right! Sana doesn’t eat beans, right?”

 

Sana turns to the excited voice across from her, seeing Chan making a clap with his trademark cheshire grin.

 

“Ah, I forgot! Yah, why didn’t you say anything earlier?”

 

Sana merely shrugs, giving Nayeon a tight-lipped smile. “It must have slipped my mind.” 

 

The focus on her quickly moves to another topic as Nayeon slips herself between Chaeyoung and Chan, talking about technicalities and musical terms that only song producers like them can understand.

 

It was weird that night for Sana. 

 

The artist is usually the chatterbox along with Nayeon, having countless gossip and inside stories to share to their friends, of the artists and actors they had worked with. However, right now, she doesn’t feel like talking at all.

 

Especially when Chan is trying to start a conversation with her.

 

“You’re weirdly silent.” He started, flashing a smile to the artist while taking a sip of his beer.

 

“Just a bit tired.” Sana curtly replies, chin resting on her palm. Inwardly, she’s wishing someone would take his attention away from her, but everyone is already engrossed with each other and the drinks.

 

“Not excited to meet me, are you?”

 

Sana mentally sighs as she switches to her acting mode.

 

“What makes you say that?”

 

Chan’s eyes begin to twinkle from Sana’s response, the artist gives him a light slap on his thigh while giggling. She takes her time to study his features as the younger man starts talking, taking note of his more chiseled face with the natural curly hair now dyed in bright orange. His charming dimpled smile is apparent, one she used to gush about, but it didn’t have the same charm now as it used to because at the moment, she’s only attracted to one beautiful smile that managed to gain a place in her heart.

 

Her eyes slowly wander to the opposite couch, and her breath hitches. 

 

Their gaze met again, this time with a glint of concern. For others, the woman may exude aloofness, with her blanked out expression. But if only they would take some time to learn to read the subtle changes in her facial form, it speaks of a thousand unspoken words. 

 

Granted, only Sana is bestowed the opportunity, because for certain reasons unknown, the woman piqued her interests. Even if they have already established a deep bond with each other, Sana still finds her interesting.

 

“So, I heard the news going around.”

 

“Hm?” His words managed to break her stare, a trace of line forming on her forehead.

 

“Is it true, though? Are you really dating your co-star, Sana?”

 

The thing she’s dreading the most has now escaped his mouth. But being a brilliant actress herself, Sana knows just the right method to deflect his curiosity.

 

“Why? Feeling challenged now, are we?”

 

“W-What? No, I’m not!” Chan quickly counters, flustered. “It’s just… I just want to know, that’s it.”

 

Her lips curled up, an eyebrow lifted. “Are you sure it’s just that?”

 

Chan’s hand reaches out to his nape, rubbing the spot with a sheepish smile. Sana lets out a giggle with a small shake of her head. Poor Chan is still the same boy he is, she thought. Maybe she went a bit too far with the teasing, knowing the effect she has on him still exudes the same reaction since high school.

 

Suddenly, Momo approaches them and slaps Chan on his back.

 

“Dude, let’s hear you sing!”

 

“What? Right now?”

 

“Yeah, come on! It’s been a while since we hear you sing.”

 

“Oh, that’s right!” Nayeon cuts in, “You were a heartthrob of every girl in school, swooning them just by your voice alone.”

 

Chan merely laughs, embarrassed when Nayeon acts out how others would faint from his voice. “That’s an exaggeration! I don’t have that effect on everyone…”

 

And Sana caught it, how his gaze fell on the opposite couch for a second, before returning to the dramatic duo of the dancing raccoon and bunny. There’s a pinch in her chest, a nonexistent twinge that barely scratches the surface of her ego, and Sana gulps down the remaining lemon cider in her glass to rid off the feeling.

 

Only for her ears to perk up from Chaeyoung’s drowned voice amidst the blaring speakers.

 

“Bro, this glass is worth 3 months of your wage!” The cub pries the tall glass from Tzuyu’s hand, “I know you hate karaoke, but that glass is innocent.” 

 

A snort leaves Tzuyu’s mouth as she tries to take the glass back. “Who said I hate karaoke?”

 

“Yah, you always reject us when we invite you!”

 

Sana nibbles on a tortilla chip, a smile ghosting her lips. Oh, Tzuyu doesn’t hate karaoke alright. In fact, the woman loves to sing - Sana had caught her screaming her heart out to a line of Chungha’s Gotta Go when she went for a surprise visit. And don’t get her start with the dorky dances and high fashion poses - just remembering about it makes her want to laugh.

 

She catches Tzuyu casting her sneaky glances, a frown apparent. Sana raises her eyebrows, an amused smile playing on her lips. The woman glares back, making a small shake of her head and Sana had to muffled a laugh from escaping . There’s a tinge of red on Tzuyu’s cheeks, an endearing sight to see for the artist.

 

“I’m feeling nostalgic all of a sudden.” 

 

Her eyes immediately shot up to the only man in the room, his hand offering a microphone. “Want to sing together, Sally? Just like old times.”

 

Tzuyu gives him a look, an uncertain one, before nodding.

 

“Sure.”

 

Her nose twitches, a tingle coursing through her vein as the two stand side by side. She feels  a sense of surge, a boiling trail under her skin, when Chan nudges the tall woman on her arm, resulting in a shy giggle from the latter. 

 

Maybe Chaeyoung should sit beside her too, because the innocent glass is going to break any second now from her tight grip. 

 

Taylor Swift's Me starts playing in the background, and Sana’s heart drops. This song exudes flirty advances and just hearing their voices mix well together sends an alarming signal to her buzzing chest. She grabs a glass on the table - not minding whose, she just needs a drink - downing the half-filled mug of beer, before excusing herself.


 

*


 

Sana lets out a loud exhale, the gentle cold wind blowing the colored tresses of her hair as she leans forward on the metal guard rail. 

 

She shouldn’t be like this - she’s not entitled to - so why the hell is she being a moody tonight?

 

Sana had made a promise once, that she will never step foot again on the fire exit - the spot holds a lot of painful memories of her, one that includes a couple of heartbreaks - but here she is again, nursing an aching heart with no explanation of how it happened.

 

“No, it’s not a heartbreak this time.” She said to the small pot of plant by the ladder, her loyal listener since high school. “But it feels like one, if you know what I mean.”

 

No, the plant doesn’t know what she means, but the minuscule rustle of dry leaves barely hanging on the frail twigs feels as if it was responding to her. Sana takes a deep breath, a chortle escapes her rosy lips. She feels stupid, talking to an inanimate object, but it’s one of the things that makes her feel better.

 

A few sighs later, she hears the door of the fire exit creaks. 

 

She ignores the new presence, the familiar footsteps stop beside her. She slowly inhales, taking in a whiff of sweet rose that finally brings calm to her agitated state. A leather jacket falls on her shoulder, and Sana is quick to pull it over her, enveloping herself in the soothing fragrance.

 

“I’m not cold.”

 

“Oh, sorry... I thought you’re the clothes hanger.”

 

Sana deliberates a pout, a light slap lands on the chuckling woman beside her.

 

“They are asking about you.”

 

“Psh, they won’t even notice my disappearance.”’

 

“Well, Chan does.” Sana freezes when she hears that name. “He was saving you a song, but he had to leave.”

 

“Finally.” She mumbles, but it didn’t go unnoticed.

 

“That’s not nice.” Tzuyu gently chided, leaning backwards on the guard rail. “He was really looking forward to meeting you.”

 

“Nahh, he’s just being polite. I bet he won’t miss me much.”

 

“Says the one who had a huge crush on him.”

 

Sana was taken aback, turning to the tall woman in surprise. However, she was greeted with a smile, with no malice behind it. 

 

“He had a crush on you, though.”

 

, that was supposed to be a secret. 

 

Sana bit her tongue from the slip up, noticing the shock on Tzuyu’s face before it morphs into a look of realization, her face softening.

 

“Is that the reason?”

 

“What?”

 

“You’re a bit distant tonight.”

 

Sana bit her lower lip, shrugging her shoulders. She doesn’t want to talk about it - the past is the past - but Tzuyu is being surprisingly persistent tonight.

 

The woman scoots closer, “Are you scared?”

 

Sana looks up to the sky, gripping Tzuyu’s jacket tightly around her shoulders as she leans towards the warm body beside her. “A little… but it’s in the past. He won’t have the same feelings for you now, will he?”

 

Oh how wrong she was - she’s only fooling herself, Sana thought. She caught his obvious but sneaky glimpses towards Tzuyu earlier, also the reason why she feels irked, threatened

 

Suddenly, she hears the woman hum a song.


 

I know that I’m a handful baby, uh

I know I never think before I jump

And you’re the kind of girl all the guys want

(and there’s a lot of cool jocks out there)


 

Sana laughs when Tzuyu nudges her, guiding an invisible microphone to her face. She shakes her head amusedly, grabbing Tzuyu’s fist to sing her part.


 

I know that I went psycho on the phone

I never leave well enough alone

And trouble’s gonna follow where I go

(And there’s a lot of cool guys out there)


 

How ironic, Sana thought, that the lines really do represent her in a way. She returns the microphone to Tzuyu, only for the younger to slip her fingers under Sana’s palm, intertwining their fingers together.


 

But one of these things is not like the others

Like a rainbow with all of the colors 

Baby doll, when it comes to a lover

I promise that you’ll never find another like…


 

Tzuyu’s stare was intense when she sang the lines, as if trying to convey her feelings with the words, as if convincing Sana that she’s the rainbow among all the others… only for a smug look to appear on Tzuyu’s face as she sings the chorus.

 

The dorky dance makes an appearance again, and Sana happily claps along, giggling her off from Tzuyu’s awkward but smooth moves. She was pulled to dance along, swaying and twirling with Tzuyu’s off key singing as the beat. 

 

They end up with a small twirl, Sana’s body leaning on the woman’s tall stature as her arms slip around slender waist. Tzuyu pulls her closer by the leather jacket, staring down at her with flushed cheeks and contented smile.


 

And I promise that nobody’s gonna love you like me…


 

Tzuyu sings the last line, her gaze boring deep into Sana’s honey-colored eyes. And just like that, her insecurities disappeared, replaced with an overwhelming feeling that makes her giddy, makes her heart soar to the sky.

 

Indeed, there’s only one of Tzuyu in this world, and she’ll never find another. 





 

Tzuyu is enough for her.

 

 

 

 

 


A/N:

Basically the reason why Sana didn’t appear in NaMo’s vlive during Tzuyu’s melpro… because she be jelly jelly. (yes let’s be delulu dear satzu shippers XD). 

Next up: a backstory of their first meeting during high school, as requested!