Lit

Series of Damned Prompts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This was supposed to be my second submission to SSBB fiesta but I didn't feel it was good enough so I shelved it after 3k words. I'd like it if someone else continued it.

---

 

Chaewon opened her eyes to the beautiful Seoul skyline. She could recognize the Namsan Tower and the skyscrapers that she was used to seeing in her everyday walks. The hustle and bustle of the capital city of South Korea was evident in the moving lights and the loud sound coming from the urban traffic filled the air.

Everything seemed normal except for the fact that everything she saw was flipped.

The helipad of one of Korea's tallest skyscrapers is at her eye level. She realized that she was hanging upside down from the top of the Parc1 Tower, the second tallest building in South Korea upon the end of its construction. She felt like her right leg was tied to a thick rope while her left leg hung free. She followed the rope that ensured safety and saw that her lifeline was haphazardly tied to the safety railing. This is the closest she has been to the cloudy night sky, and it honestly scared her being that high. She was not a stranger to these situations, but she was usually on the opposite side of the railing. She knew better than to resist because doing so would likely untie the knot on her leg.

She chose to concentrate on the moon instead. It was a waxing crescent, or it might have been a waning crescent. She wouldn't know for sure, she hasn't been paying attention whether they were coming from a new moon or a full moon. It's not like she had time to stargaze recently; the last time she was out stargazing was on the last date she went on. They went to a clearing in the outskirts of Seoul where it gave them a clear view of the skies with minimal dust. They stared at the stars until they chose to get lost in each other's eyes and arms in the back of a pickup truck instead. She swore she saw a full moon, but it could have been her lover’s eyes that shone brightly in the night.

"That's not what's important right now, Chaewon-ah," she muttered to herself. She knew it was only a matter of time until she would be in a setting like this. Kim Chaewon is a er and a high-ranking one at that. Chaewon is known as the "Death Fairy", the moniker she got as the resident hitman of the OSM gang. She was known for her quick and methodical style that ended whoever stood in the way of OSM. She took advantage of her innocent looking visuals to get close to the target and before they knew it, they were dead. Although she was known for her quick kills, she was no stranger to painful, drawn out methods to get information from relevant people to find her targets. Now that she was on the receiving end of this treatment, she might have felt sorry to all her victims for a second. It was all business, but it still .

Before she could wonder who had her tied up, she heard muffled but ragged footsteps coming from the rooftop which she deduces to be from her captors. Soon enough, a silhouette appeared and stood over her. The moon was only bright enough to highlight the shadow's stature and long hair. Chaewon could make out that the shadow standing over her was a girl based on the slim hips, narrow shoulders, and long hair. There was something familiar about the woman who seemed to be content to stare at her hanging a thousand feet from the ground.

That was when the woman spoke.

 

"Kim Chaewon, why did you do it?"

 

She recognized the voice. No wonder the outline seemed familiar, it was her all along. But why was she here? What is she doing here? A lot of unanswered questions were swarming in Chaewon's head until one question answered most of them.

 

"Why did you kill my right hand woman, Yabuki Nako?"

 

------

Three months earlier.

 

Chaewon woke up to the sound of her phone ringing. While looking for her phone with her eyes half-open, she saw the time on her digital clock. 18:23. She had only planned to nap for thirty minutes, but her body apparently needed three hours more. She answered the phone in her groggily, 

"Hello."

"Chaewon, where are you?"

"Just woke up. What's up?"

"The boss is asking for you. You got a job."

"I'm on my way."

 

Within 15 minutes, Chaewon was ready and on her way to their hideout in Myeongdong. Their base seemed like a karaoke bar (noraebang) on the outside, but the basement is filled with gangsters and thugs waiting for orders. Some of them work part-time for the noraebang cover business, which helps with dealing with the problematic drunk customers and stopping the occasional brawls. When she entered the basement, everybody bowed down as she moved in between them. She gave them a slight nod to acknowledge their greeting and headed to the main office where a woman was waiting for her by the door.

"Yah, Chaewon you're so late," said the ash blonde woman. She was wearing an all-black tube top with a leather jacket on top and leather pants to match. One might think that she was headed to one of the clubs around Gangnam in her outfit, but it was just a normal Tuesday outfit for the woman.

"I just woke up, Yena. Where's Eunbi?" 

"She's inside. She's not in a good mood. There's an emerging gang out west and is expanding aggressively towards our turf. I'm guessing that's where you come in."

"One kill to quell the expansion, huh?"

"Most likely. Now get in there before she sends a search party for you. She's that desperate."

Chaewon chuckled at Yena's joke because she knew Eunbi enough to know that it was not beyond the woman to do that. Eunbi founded OSM together with Chaewon and Yena after they met at an underground fight club many years ago. The two younger members chose Eunbi as the leader of OSM because of her sharp wit, unreal fighting and shooting skills, and most importantly, her age. She went inside the room not wanting to make the boss wait any longer.

"You asked for me, Eunbi?"

"Where the were you, Chaewon? Answer your goddamn phone. That's what phones are for, you know?"

"I was taking a nap. That's what beds are for, you know?" Chaewon wittingly replied to tease the older woman.

" you and your sarcasm, Chaewon." Eunbi brushed her short blonde hair to the back of her ears, revealing multiple piercings of each ear. People might think it is a fashion statement at first glance, but Chaewon knew that each piercing corresponded to a successful assassination under her belt. The woman looked deceptively normal at first glance, but hidden behind the attractive facade is a cold-blooded killer with bloodthirst that is equal to none.

The boss dropped a folder in front of her. Chaewon noticed that the folder was not as thick as the other folders that she had gotten in the past. "Here's your target. We need her gone."

Chaewon picked up the folder and opened it. It surprised her even more that the only contents of the folder are a barely filled out personal information form and a low quality picture from a CCTV footage. "Eunbi, what the is this?"

"Her name is Yabuki Nako. People call her Yako. I don't know why, but that's what I've heard. In fact, it’s the only thing I’ve heard from our sources. Other than that, zip. The woman is a ghost. She seems to be the one calling the shots in the eastward expansion of The 48."

"The 48? Who are they?" Chaewon raised her eyebrows, the unknown name piqued her interest. New challenges were always welcomed by Chaewon.

"An emerging Japanese gang. They're vicious, Chaewon. They've beaten five gangs this month and are apparently on the verge of taking down another by the end of the month. They're fearless yet all of their moves are calculated. They're cocky yet efficient. They pick their fights well. It--"

"It reminds you of us back then," Chaewon completed her sentence.

"Exactly. They still have a little way more to go before they end up in our turf, but the smaller gangs around us might feel the power shift and start to turn on us. That should not happen if we want to keep our position."

Chaewon nodded in agreement and responded, "If they're so notorious out west, why do we know so little about them?"

"That's where they're different from us, Chaewon," Eunbi sighed before continuing, "They don't take prisoners. They straight up kill the opposition. Unlike us where we leave one alive to tell the tale, they just kill everyone. No information comes out, just radio silence. Once everything settles, they get a deputy from their gang to manage the affairs left by the previous gang. The catch is, the deputy wasn't part of the takeover so they wouldn't know who was calling the shots. By the time our people get to the area, the people involved with the takeover will have already moved to a different location. Like I said, efficient."

Chaewon closed the folder and said, ". That 's scary." It was true, Chaewon had not heard o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter