It's in her blood.

Series of Damned Prompts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hitomi was greeted by a familiar scent of iron when she opened the door to her apartment. It has been a while since she last smelled blood, but she never expected it to happen within the confines of her own home. She held her keys like a knife and cautiously entered her apartment. She did not bother to turn on the lights because she did not want to risk the possibility of an intruder still hiding inside her apartment anyway. The darkness did not bother her as much as normal people would; she was trained for this anyway.

She navigated herself towards the smell of blood. While she moved like an expert, she was internally struggling with her thoughts on how this happened, why this happened, and most importantly, who the blood belonged to.

She found herself entering the kitchen. She could make out the outlines of the pots and pans in complete disarray and the outline of a half-cut cabbage on the counter. She walked around until she felt that she stepped on a puddle of thick fluid.

Blood.

She immediately ran to the nearest light switch and flicked it on. The lights revealed the limp body of a woman with at least five stab wounds on her chest and stomach on top of a puddle, no, a lake of blood based on how much of it was on the floor and was still coming out from the woman's body. Even with all the wounds, the pale face remained untouched which made the body recognizable to Hitomi.

It was the body of her fiancee, Kim Chaewon.

She felt the tears running down her cheeks while she carefully approached the body. She knew that even if her emotions are on an all-time high, she should be careful. The entire scenario does not look good for her once the police gets involved: she had been walking around alone in the neighborhood, enjoying the fresh air. Nobody can attest to her alibi and she knew all too well that the first suspect to someone's murder would be their special someone.

Nevertheless, she brought out her phone to call the police. She was about to dial 119 when she saw a small piece of paper stuffed in one of her fiancee's stab wounds on her stomach. She carefully picked it up and read the familiar handwriting in the note.

 

"THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE KIM IN YOUR LIFE."

 

She never thought her past would come back to haunt her, but now she already confirmed that it has indeed caught up, and they did not waste any time to make their presence known.

Kim Minju. I am coming for you. 

She propped herself up and ran out of her apartment after changing her shoes to avoid leaving bloody footprints around the neighborhood. She knew where she needed to go and the adrenaline from her rage helped her discover her old form with every step she took. She started running faster and jumping over higher fences as she sped through the streets to find the person responsible for the murder of her fiancee.

That is, if you can consider Kim Minju a person.

She arrives at a di

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter