Crossing Over

Series of Damned Prompts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Between the legs, behind the back, step back, three point shot.

Chaewon felt herself falling to the floor as she lost her balance. She had never been humiliated like this in Korea, but now she's going to land on her in an invitational tournament in Japan.

Not to mention that the game is nationally televised back in Korea.

She could only turn back to see whether the three point shot went in.

It did.

She looked at the girl who did her dirty with the sick crossover move. She couldn't remember her face since it was partly covered by her bangs and her long hair after she took the shot. She could remember chubby cheeks and long black hair that flowed with the wind as she ran back to play defense, but not before she made a shooting motion with her fingers at the Korean girl as if she was holding a gun.

The girl turned around to reveal her name and number: Honda Hitomi, #10.

Chaewon jolted awake.

 

It has been three months after their humiliating loss to the Japanese selection in the finalIZ Invitational Tournament in Japan, where teams from all over Asia battle it out to determine which country produced the best basketball players. For the first time in years, Korea expected to win the tournament with the inclusion of the talented Kim Chaewon. Kim Chaewon dominated the national high school scene where she averaged a triple double as a freshman and was the number one scoring option for the Korean representative in the tourney. As expected, Korea breezed through the tournament until the final game where they got beaten by the Japanese selection 106-81.

Even when her coaches praised her for a job well done and even received a special award for her monstrous 30 point per game average throughout the tournament. But all she could think about was the embarrassing play that got her falling to the ground like a rookie.

Nobody has ever broken Chaewon's ankles like that before.

And for that she swears revenge for next year's tournament.

 

---

 

School did not end fast enough for Kim Chaewon. When the bell for her last class rang, she grabbed her already-packed bag (not that she took anything out of it the entire day anyway) and went to the basketball courts to attend training. Once she got there, she saw an unfamiliar girl dribbling and shooting free throws on her own. Her moves were ordinary, but clean and crisp. The only thing that stood out from the girl was her short silver hair, which Chaewon thought to be an interesting color choice for a girl with a petite and slim body type. However, Chaewon feels like she has seen the girl somewhere but it was highly unlikely since she usually only hung out with basketball players like herself. If Chaewon had to make a first impression, the girl is also a freshman and would likely warm the bench because of her physique and ordinary skill.

We need substitutes anyway.

Before Chaewon could approach the girl, the coach called them over. Chaewon joined her friends Yujin and Yena who were busy bickering about their new shoes. 

"Hey Chaewon," Yujin called out. Like Chaewon, Yujin is a freshman. She played center and is in the starting lineup of her school's varsity team. She could have joined Chaewon at the invitational tournament if not for an ankle injury. Luckily, Yujin is back to a 100% now and is ready to play.

Chaewon replied, "Good to see you back in training again, Yujin."

"Yeah, I'm going to break your ankles again, Yujin. Just you wait," Yena playfully elbowed Yujin on the ribs, which elicited a laugh from both Chaewon and Yujin. Yena was their talented point guard who has excellent court vision and offensive awareness. She was also part of the Korean team who played in the invitational with Chaewon. She is also the captain of the school's basketball team.

Their conversation was cut off by the coach's announcement.

"Everyone. This is Hong Da Hee. She will join our team starting today," the coach pointed towards the silver haired girl Chaewon was watching earlier. The girl seemed shy and timid; her shoulders were hunched and her head was hung low. The girl bowed before greeting the senior members of the club.

"Hello, I am Hong Da Hee. You can call me Hii. I am a freshman transferee and I play shooting guard. Please take care of me."

The other members of the team clapped and welcomed the transfer

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter