Birthdays and Coffee (Seulrene)

Of Imaginations and Daydreams

It was a calm and quiet night, just how Joohyun likes it. Seulgi thinks and smiles to herself as she pranced into their living room with what she thinks is the greatest idea she’d had all day.

 

“What’s got you all chirpy and giggly huh?” Irene teases as she gets up from the couch to greet Seulgi with a kiss.

 

“Get your coat,” Seulgi says as she breaks away from the kiss while still holding Irene by the waist.

 

“What?” Irene looks at Seulgi amused.

 

“Get. your. coat.” Seulgi smiles in between words. 

 

“It’s 11 PM, Seul. Where are we going?” Irene creases her forehead getting more and more confused by the minute.

 

“Nowhere specific. Let’s just go for a walk it’s really nice and quiet outside and I figured you might like it.” Seulgi shrugs and beams.

 

“Well, aren’t you cute?” Irene wraps her arms around Seulgi’s neck before giving her another peck. “Give me a second I’ll be back.” She says as she walks to their room.

 

Irene heads on back and spots Seulgi mindlessly tapping her fingers on the counter. She doesn’t speak for a few seconds to admire the view. “Ready?” she calls out and catches Seulgi’s attention.

 

“Wow.” Seulgi longingly stares at Irene who was wrapped in a big fluffy coat.

 

“I’m literally just wearing my sweats and a coat, babe.” Irene chuckles.

 

“Yes. And?” Seulgi challenges, causing Irene’s cheeks to turn red. “Let’s go?” 

 

The couple spent about half an hour roaming the city’s streets — admiring the lights, stopping every now and then to take some pictures, talking about anything and everything. The two may or may not even argued about whether the egg or chicken came first, who knows?

 

“Hyun! Over there come on!” Seulgi lightly grabs Irene by the arm and pulls her to a cute little cafe that was still open.

 

“Good evening ladies! What can I get you two?” asks the lady who was probably in her 60s. Seulgi warmly smiles at her, after all, she did always have a soft spot for grandmas.

 

“Two cappuccinos, please. Do you want anything else, Hyun?” 

 

“I’m good, love,” Irene answers and offers to pay for their order. 

 

“Nuh-uh put that back this is on me.” Seulgi winks. “But could you go get us a good spot, babe?”

 

“Of course. See you in a bit. Don’t miss me too much!” Irene jokes as she goes on her way to find a table.

 

Seulgi can’t help but laugh and get giddy at that before turning back to the lady. “Ajumma, could you maybe add a cupcake onto our order later? And would you happen to have some candles?” Seulgi whispers to the lady.

 

“I got you dear, and don’t bother paying, this is on me. You and your girlfriend’s cuteness has been the best thing I’ve seen all day.” 

 

Seulgi blushes at the comment and thanks the lady before making her way to Irene.

 

“What took you so long? We’re you flirting with the ajumma??” Irene tries to hold in her laughter. She curses herself for not being able to effectively tease Seulgi.

 

“As a matter of fact, I was! How did you know?” Seulgi rides along.

 

Not long after, the lady arrives with two cappuccinos and settles them in front of the couple. The three exchanged their pleasantries before going on about their own businesses.

 

The couple exchanged stories for a few more minutes until Seulgi took out her phone, pointing it at Irene.

 

“Seul! What are you doing? I wasn’t prepared!” Irene protests.

 

“Still pretty but okay I’ll give you some time. One, two, three!” Seulgi answers. Irene blushes but smiles anyway. 

 

“One more Hyun, come on!” 

 

“Seriously, love?” Irene laughs at her girlfriend’s antics. She thinks she could not be more in love with this girl but every day she’s proven wrong.

 

“Dead serious, babe. Okay? Get ready! I’ll count to three again.” Seulgi says.

 

“1..2...-“ Irene positions herself preparing to hear the word “smile” from Seulgi but nothing could’ve prepared her for what she heard.

 

“..3... I love you.” Seulgi finishes her count. “Got it!” Seulgi smiles to herself. “This is probably my favorite picture of you Hyun, you look beautiful. You always do, but wow.” 

 

In the picture, there’s Irene smiling her most genuine smile yet, cheeks slightly red, eyes surprised.

 

“I love you, Seul. You have no idea.” Irene states as she reaches for Seulgi’s hand. Seconds after, the clock hit 12:00, and the lady appeared once again with a cupcake with a tiny candle on top. 

 

Irene looks back and forth between the lady and a grinning Seulgi. She should’ve known this girl had more up her sleeves. She melts at the thought.

 

Seulgi’s voice interrupts her thoughts when she lovingly says. “Happy Birthday, Hyun.”