Morning Shift (Seulrene)

Of Imaginations and Daydreams

 

A new week ahead, Joohyun thought to herself as she started to turn on the lights in the establishment she’s been spending most of her mornings at for the past couple of months. She was used to this — coming in early, preparing everything she needed before her shift started, and mingling with probably tons of people throughout the course of 6 hours before she had to head for class in the afternoon. Although it was 6:00 in the morning, Joohyun didn’t really mind. There were a lot of things she liked about this time of day— it was quiet, she could think, and- 

 

 

“Helloooo??” Joohyun’s thoughts were interrupted by a voice from the outside which she probably already knew the owner of.

 

“Unnie!! I know you’re in there come on I have so much to tell you!” She laughed as she made her way to the store’s entrance so that she could let her visitor in. 

 

“Lisa-yah! How can someone be this energetic in the morning??” Joohyun joked as she and Lisa made their way to the younger’s usual table.

 

Lisa at this point was like a younger sister to Joohyun. They first met a couple of months ago in the same establishment that they were in when the younger looked as if the heavens fell on her shoulders. Joohyun, of course, could not stand the sight and offered the girl an ice cream in an attempt to cheer her up from what she learned was a case of puppy love gone wrong. The two instantly formed a bond; with the former acting like an older sister and adviser and the latter never failing to tease the other every chance she got. Nevertheless, they both treasured each other, that’s for sure.

 

“You’d be this energetic too if you knew who sent me a good morning text this morning .” Lisa, as hard as she tried, couldn’t stop her cheeks from getting red.

 

“Oh trust me I know! You know what? It’s obvious she likes you back why don’t you just ask her out already?”  Joohyun was teasing but then turned serious as she asked the question.

 

“Aish it’s not that easy, unnie! You of all people should know that! If it were, why haven’t you made things official with Seulgi, huh?” prompted the younger while raising her eyebrows knowingly.

 

“I-“ Right on cue, the two were interrupted by the bell ringing signaling someone entered the shop.

 

“Hey, I didn’t know if you guys were open, but I saw the two of you here and thought I might as well join the party,” said the woman while rubbing her feet on the mat before entering the store completely.

 

“Seulgi unnie!! You’re right on time, I was just about to head to class and I felt bad leaving this one here alone.” Even if Joohyun was distracted by the smiles and looks of adoration Seulgi was giving her, she didn’t miss the hint of mischief in Lisa’s voice. She knew her class wasn’t 'til an hour from now and she was pretty sure Seulgi knew that too.

She didn’t know if she should be thankful or should she smack Lisa in the head the next time they meet. That option was tempting.

 

“Hmm is that so? Today’s my lucky day then! I hope you don’t mind that you’re gonna be stuck with me, Hyun?” Seulgi asked smiling as she went on her way to their table.

 

“No, not at all! I’m glad you’re here!” Joohyun internally cursed herself as she was a little too enthusiastic for her liking.

 

Lisa tried so hard to stifle her laugh but failed. “Well, looks like my shift here is done!” Lisa stood up while dramatically slamming both her hands on the table. “But please do try thinking about what I asked you unnie!” Lisa said, whispering the latter part.

 

“Wait, Lisa! Take this before you go, I had an idea that you were here so I got you one as well.” Seulgi said as she handed the younger a warm cup of coffee.

 

“Agh, you’re the best!! I swear to god, you and Joohyun are like my second parents. But anyway, I really have to go, I just texted Jennie that I’ll be picking her up today. Wish me luck!”  Lisa waved to the two.

 

“Good luck my child, make me proud!” Seulgi joked as she patted Lisa’s head on her way out.

 

“Take care, Lisa! I know how clumsy you can be!” Joohyun reminded as soon as Lisa reached the door.

 

“Hey, you. Still have time for me?” Seulgi slid her way into the booth across Joohyun.

 

“Silly, of course I do. Thanks for this by the way, I didn’t get to have a bite earlier." Joohyun pointed to the coffee and croissant that Seulgi brought her.

 

“Happy Joohyun, happy Seulgi!” Seulgi proudly exclaimed like a child with both hands on her waist.

 

Seulgi made it a habit to bring Joohyun a little treat every time she could when she would drop by. She knows how busy the latter can get and she wanted to make sure that she was taken care of. Luckily she didn’t come empty-handed today. 

 

“Dork” Joohyun couldn’t help but laugh and blush at the same time. 

 

“Sooo Lisa seemed to be extra energetic today and that's something given that girl’s energy!”

 

“Right???” it was as if Joohyun won the lottery when Seulgi agreed with what she was thinking the moment Lisa knocked on their door. “Well apparently, Jennie’s sending her good morning texts now, so you could imagine how that boosted her mood!” Joohyun lovingly rolled her eyes at the thought.

 

“Well, that’s cute!  Ugh, why can’t she just ask her out already? Our child needs to toughen up I tell you.” Seulgi huffed exaggeratedly.

 

“Why don’t you ask me to make us official then” Joohyun thought to herself.

 

“Our child huh?” Joohyun teased instead.

 

“Well y-yeah who else’s child could she be?” it was now Seulgi’s turn to blush. However, she knew she needed to regain her composure with what she’s planning now that Joohyun gave her a perfect opening.

 

“Although, if she’s gonna be our child, I do think there’s something we need to do first.” Seulgi acted as if she was in deep thought tapping her chin and all.

 

“And what’s that?” Joohyun challenged as she leaned towards Seulgi with both her hands cupping her face.

 

“Well, why don’t you turn that coffee cup around for us to find out” Seulgi answered confidently even though her insides were trembling and melting.

 

Joohyun’s looks went from being confused to being intrigued, to probably looking like the most smitten she’d ever been in a matter of seconds as soon as she saw what was written on the cup.

 

“Be mine, Hyun? :)“