Chapter 5: Yin

Sweet bubble tea

I stand there. In the same spot. For 10 minutes. Class is probably over by now. But I don’t care. All I can think about is her. Why couldn’t I stop thinking about the way she pushed me against the wall? No. No way. Did I like it? No. No way did I like it. That’s not how straight people think. It’s just because I was tired. Yeah. I’m just tired. 15 minutes have passed. I’m probably late for my next class. But I can’t move. I rip my mind out of wherever it is right now and force myself to step away from the wall, which I’ve been standing against for the past 20 minutes. I walk out of the bathroom.  

 

And I bump straight into Yohan. “Oh hey, Yinnie!” She says, shoving my backpack into my arms. “I grabbed your stuff for you. Won came and grabbed her stuff very quickly, she told Ms. Jun she was sick. I saw her follow you to the bathroom, did you guys-” I turn around and say: “Nothing happened, and remember, I’m straight.” She doesn’t argue, instead saying: “Ok, do you want to go to coin karaoke tonight? Raya and Hyin will be there.” Raya and Hyin are Yohan’s partners. They’ve all been dating for a few years now. At least as long as I’ve known them. They’re very funny people. “Mhm, and who else?” “Welllll….  Jugyo and Linsho might come… and they might ask Jo si na…” “And?” “They might bring Won too...” “YOHAN! I told you to stop trying to set me up with her! She’d never go for me, even if I wasn’t straight!” “Aw come on, she’s definitely got eyes for you!” “Ahhh!” “So are you coming with us?!” I sigh, she’s just gonna badger me until I refuse. “Do I have a choice?” “Nope!” I laugh. “Ok, I’ll come, but let’s get ramen first.” “Deal!” And Yohan and I go to our next class.