Chapter 8: Yin

Sweet bubble tea

“What song do you want to do, Yin?” Yohan’s voice cut through my stupor. “What?” “It’s your turn.” “Oh… ok” Then Jo Si cut in. “Ugh. Just skip her. Why did you even bring her anyway? She’s such a no-jam. How are you even friends with her?”   Won butts in. “Oh shut up Jo Si! She is literally the sweetest person here! She talks to me and she can have fun! She’s so cute I could just sit and stare at her for hours! There is nothing no-jam about her! You’re the no-jam!” I know my blush is visible on my face. Jo Si na stays silent, but her glare slices me. “Yin, sing for me,” Won says. I can’t refuse. She just defended me to her best friend. I stand and put my money in the machine, then start searching for a song. “What song do you want, Won?” She stands and walks over, positioning herself behind me to look at the options. “That one.” She says, pointing to the song Euphoria by BTS. “I love that song, it’s one of my favorites,” I say, blushing. “I love it too, will you sing it for me?” “Y-yeah.” I’m suddenly aware of the way her body presses against me, and my whole body burns lightly. “Ugh. Just sing already!” Jo Si’s voice cuts through the air. “Shut up Jo! Give her a moment.” Won sits back down. I breathe in shakily, then hit the start button. The first note flows through the air, and I look at Won. I can’t sing for all of them, but maybe I can sing for her. I sing at the cue, and for a minute, for a whole song, I look at Won. I’m singing too, but my mind isn’t focused on that, all I see is the lay of her hair, the color of her eyes, the shape of her lips… And when it’s done, the last note rings and the room is silent. I sit back down next to Won, and we all sit in awkward silence for a moment, then won claps, and yohan follows, then the rest, even Jo Si gives a couple of claps. “Daebak!” Won exclaims. “I love your voice! Sing for me again!” “No, maybe later, it’s your turn now.” “Fine, but you must sing for me later.” “I will,” I say, and she stands, picking a song quickly. Then she sings. Her voice is rich and slightly deep, I feel like I could drown in it, and I love it. She sings aggressively, and the lyrics make me blush, particularly because she stares directly at me as she sings, her gaze locking me in, and I can’t look away from her, her eyes are too powerful.